• 8(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Have anyone tried to VOYO V2 TV-Box?

I like the form factor, and that it runs Windows 10. (Normally I run a linux variant for Kodi, but now I acutally look for a Win 10 device)
Is the Bay Trail good enough for running Kodi with an ok UI experience and to play the most common formats like x264@1080p?

Link: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/p...ign=FB1507

Specs:
Brand: VOYO
Type: TV Box
Model: V2
Color: Golden
System: Windows 10
GPU: Intel HD Graphic
CPU: Baytrail T Z3735F
Core: Quad Core
RAM: 2G
ROM: 32G
Max. Extended Capacity: 64G
MEDIA SUPPORTED Video Format: 1080P, 4K
SPECIFICATION Support XBMC: Yes
WiFi: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: Bluetooth4.0
Power Supply: Charge Adapter
Interface: Micro USB, USB2.0, HDMI, RJ45
DIMENSION AND WEIGHT Product Weight: 0.315 kg
Package Weight: 0.480 kg
Product Size (L x W x H): 13.1 x 8.3 x 1.6 cm / 5.15 x 3.26 x 0.63 inches
Package Size (L x W x H): 15.0 x 10.0 x 3.0 cm / 5.90 x 3.93 x 1.18 inches
Hello,

Im new to the forums. Can someone help me as I'm looking for the best device just for Kodi that is under 100.00 (or at least as close as possible)and can do 4k and 3d. Is the Amazon Fire tv or firestick a good option? I'm also looking for a device that can possibly go through my home receiver if I go that route and something that will be good over wifi,

Thanks so much for any advice.
(2016-02-07, 20:26)Ladida Wrote: Have anyone tried to VOYO V2 TV-Box?

I like the form factor, and that it runs Windows 10. (Normally I run a linux variant for Kodi, but now I acutally look for a Win 10 device)
Is the Bay Trail good enough for running Kodi with an ok UI experience and to play the most common formats like x264@1080p?

Link: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/p...ign=FB1507

Specs:
Brand: VOYO
Type: TV Box
Model: V2
Color: Golden
System: Windows 10
GPU: Intel HD Graphic
CPU: Baytrail T Z3735F
Core: Quad Core
RAM: 2G
ROM: 32G
Max. Extended Capacity: 64G
MEDIA SUPPORTED Video Format: 1080P, 4K
SPECIFICATION Support XBMC: Yes
WiFi: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: Bluetooth4.0
Power Supply: Charge Adapter
Interface: Micro USB, USB2.0, HDMI, RJ45
DIMENSION AND WEIGHT Product Weight: 0.315 kg
Package Weight: 0.480 kg
Product Size (L x W x H): 13.1 x 8.3 x 1.6 cm / 5.15 x 3.26 x 0.63 inches
Package Size (L x W x H): 15.0 x 10.0 x 3.0 cm / 5.90 x 3.93 x 1.18 inches

Baytrail-T Z-series SoCs are not a brilliant match for Kodi. I've run a 1G/32G tablet with the same SoC running Windows 10 as a Kodi player - but it wasn't great. The GPU is weak (very small number of EUs) and the CPU not much better.

The Cherry Trail stuff has much better GPU (though still a pretty weak CPU). Should be better - but have yet to play with one.

I'm still amazed at how good the Celeron 2955U Chromeboxes are. (Assuming you don't need Windows)
Thanks for the reply nogging!

Whas like I suspected then, to bad for such a nice little device.

Probably better to spend some extra bucks and get a more powerful NUC, so that I don't get disappointed.
(2016-02-08, 11:12)Ladida Wrote: Thanks for the reply nogging!

Probably better to spend some extra bucks and get a more powerful NUC, so that I don't get disappointed.

To be honest, a Raspberry Pi 2 will do a better job as a pure media playback device, than a Baytrail-T Z-series box. If you just want a Kodi box, they are still hard to beat for the price. If you want something a bit more powerful, then a Celeron 2955u-baed Chromebox is a very good quality player indeed. A bit snappier than the Pi 2 - and it does a few things better (but the Pi 2 does a few things the Chromebox doesn't - mainly 3D MVC decode and Frame Packed output)

If you want HEVC 8-bit decode - then look at Braswell?

If you don't really need Windows then if you want 10 bit HEVC then the new S905 stuff from AMLogic looks worth a look. (The ODroid C2 COULD be great if it is well supported in software terms. It should have 4K 2160/60p output and 10 bit hardware HEVC decode - for around the same price as a Pi 2)
Hi guys,

Complete noob here looking for a little help. Im currently using Kodi on a macbook, but looking for a standalone tv box to run Kodi, not really bothered about anything else. Can anyone recommend anything?

After looking through the forums, I think I'm leaning towards the Nvidia Shield, but would like an expert opinion to confirm.

Thanks in advance!!
(2016-02-08, 12:54)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-08, 11:12)Ladida Wrote: Thanks for the reply nogging!

To be honest, a Raspberry Pi 2 will do a better job as a pure media playback device, than a Baytrail-T Z-series box. If you just want a Kodi box, they are still hard to beat for the price. If you want something a bit more powerful, then a Celeron 2955u-baed Chromebox is a very good quality player indeed. A bit snappier than the Pi 2 - and it does a few things better (but the Pi 2 does a few things the Chromebox doesn't - mainly 3D MVC decode and Frame Packed output)

If you want HEVC 8-bit decode - then look at Braswell?

If you don't really need Windows then if you want 10 bit HEVC then the new S905 stuff from AMLogic looks worth a look. (The ODroid C2 COULD be great if it is well supported in software terms. It should have 4K 2160/60p output and 10 bit hardware HEVC decode - for around the same price as a Pi 2)

The ODroid C2 could really be great.
I just looked it up and was very happy to see that it has HDMI 2.0.
If this device will be supported well then it will be my next go to hardware when it comes to Kodi.
But only time will tell how it will do.
I have had (and continue to enjoy) the Minix X8-H Plus for a year now. I'm thinking that it's time for me to upgrade. My sole interest is as a Kodi-playing device, so many of the features of the nVidia Sheild (e.g., gaming and Netflix) would be wasted on me ... as would the new Minix NGC-1 (which seems more of an office PC than a media streaming box). [FYI: I do care about high-resolution video and 5.1 surround sound, but not about 3D or Atmos surround.] And I have neither the skills nor the inclination to open up and tweak the components or firmware of things like NUCs and Cromeboxes. The Minix U1 seems to be the obvious choice. Is there any reason I should consider something else? I don't have money to waste, but I am willing to pay extra for the best (for my purposes).
Hi Don,

I'm not sure if you do this already, but it often pays to go and have a read of the Sellers forums to get an idea of product support and any major problems users are may be having. The U1 go to thread would be HERE

I will update page #1 when someone does a detailed proper Kodi review on the MINIX U1. In general reading I'm not seeing any outstanding issues with it.
AMLogic devices running Android Lollipop get a very nice speed boost over the older Android KitKat ones. Even your X8-H Plus would perform well with Lollipop if it could be upgraded.

The only obvious question for a basic Kodi media player is, do you need Android at all ?
OpenELEC is quite a bit slicker and more mature as a Kodi based OS.

(2016-02-12, 19:22)Don Grimme Wrote: I have had (and continue to enjoy) the Minix X8-H Plus for a year now. I'm thinking that it's time for me to upgrade. My sole interest is as a Kodi-playing device, so many of the features of the nVidia Sheild (e.g., gaming and Netflix) would be wasted on me ... as would the new Minix NGC-1 (which seems more of an office PC than a media streaming box). [FYI: I do care about high-resolution video and 5.1 surround sound, but not about 3D or Atmos surround.] And I have neither the skills nor the inclination to open up and tweak the components or firmware of things like NUCs and Cromeboxes. The Minix U1 seems to be the obvious choice. Is there any reason I should consider something else? I don't have money to waste, but I am willing to pay extra for the best (for my purposes).

sent you a PM
As a former Kodi user coming back from the wilderness I'm looking to get a pi to play some 3D content. My only real question is with regards to some simple retro gaming and Kodi skins. What are the limitations of the pi in that respect? It won't change my purchase choice, just wondering what to expect, I will probably invest in a new HTPC in 18-24 months time, but want something to handle my 3D in the meantime.
Hi,
Audio (only) is not covered in most threads and I would like to know from the audio side wich box is the best. I mean, for using Spotify, Tidal, USB Audio Pro apps etc... and using the USB conexion (preferred) or the optical one to send the music to my DAC and then to the amplifier.
I only need 2 channels, but as I have a good Dac and good amplifier I would like to enjoy good audio quality.
Does someboby knows (for instance in Wetek Core or Minix U1) at what bitrate can work on the USB or spdif connections? Have some noise or jitter ? Can I choose USB / Spdif / Hdmi audio out?
Off course I will use too as a movie player with Kodi and I would also appreciate the sound quality on movies Smile
Thanks for your advice, as I am a newbie and I am going to buy my first Android player.
Wow, this is all pretty confusing.

I'm looking for a box to play Kodi as well as Netflx, HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, etc.

Think I need one of the AMLogic Android devices as I need optical out to my receiver so that eliminates nexus player and fire tv stick. I need it to output both DD5.1 and DTS and do have some movies that are AC3 encoded.

Seems like Android 5.1 is a must. 2GB RAM vs 1GB RAM a must? What about 16GB ROM vs 8GB ROM? Something that I'll get updates to would be nice. Decent remote as I don't currently have a BT keyboard. S812 vs S905? Google Play store support? What other features are important when I'm looking?

Can anyone suggest specific devices? I'd go up to $100 USD if it required that much to get a proper device.

Thanks in advance!
Hi guys! I want to build HTPC running OpenELEC or OSMC

Have a chance to buy for 50$ Cisco Virtualization Experience Client 6215
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/co...89833.html

I'm wondering if it's hardware would be enough for smooth Full HD?

update1 read tons of information about CPU and graphic card - seems that they are enough for FULL hd. But this information was from 2011-2012 years though need some confirmation.
Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade from a NUC Celeron. I would like another NUC ideally with built in IR and 4k futureproofing (as much as possible anyway). Questions:

-Is there a NUC that immediately jumps out as being suitable for this?
-Can I use my current RAM and Kodi USB flash drive on a newer model?

Thanks
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28