• 10(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Nice startpost, good job.

When I heard from the wetek core I was thrilled but then I noticed the Google nexus player. But after reading the startpost I stick with core as my next device because the nexus needs to much extras plus missing the build in ethernet.

Maybe I still change my mind but I doubt it.
(2016-02-16, 19:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Sorry yes, put my damn glasses on and did a word search. Your correct.

Supports HDCP, Video EDID Pass Through Smile
Great, thanks again for the help. Picked up my $50 Nexus Player from best buy today. I'll hook that up today and get Kodi and the other apps I need installed and see how it all works with audio just going through the TV speakers. HDMI to SPDIF box should be here Thursday. I'll have that in pass through mode and test some DD5.1 and DTS content I have. Any audio settings in the Nexus settings that I need to set?

Am I not going to get 5.1 audio from Netflix though SPDIF? I thought I had read that somewhere.

And if there's an app that isn't available on the Nexus Plus, but is on my phone and the app has chromecast, I can still cast from the phone to the nexus player to watch that content?

As long as the audio converter works well and I get a good connection to my router, seems like this is a good solution for me. An AMLogic box looks like it might have been fun, but I bet it could become a headache quickly, especially that this is for the main family room so others, less technical, will be using it. This sounds like it should all just work.

Once all is set up, I guess I'll try to sell my WDTV Live Plus. Seems like I can still get a few $s for that on ebay.
Do you guys recommend the new upcoming Odroid C2 over wetek core? I'll only use OpenElec on it (yes I need HEVC), nothing else. It seems to be more futureproof with real 4k support/hdmi 2.0.

C2 seems to be the right choice, no?
(2016-02-16, 23:08)lexluthor Wrote: Am I not going to get 5.1 audio from Netflix though SPDIF? I thought I had read that somewhere.
From some light reading I believe these HDMI / S/PDIF Audio extractors use switches on the box itself to Spoof the EDID handshake data needed to communicate with the Nexus to say, "hey send out 5.1 Audio - I can handle it". You set DD/DTS switches and that is what the Nexus will output.

For families, especially with Kids. The Android TV OS is going to be more user friendly to use day to day with a remote control.
The WeTek Core is more of a flexible OpenELEC / Lollipop - dedicated Kodi box with refresh switching, 24p, HD Audio. Proper Hardware deinterlacing etc. compared to the Google Nexus or FireTV's.

All the other Nexus questions, will get more attention if you ask over in the dedicated Nexus player thread.

(2016-02-17, 04:36)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-02-16, 23:08)lexluthor Wrote: Am I not going to get 5.1 audio from Netflix though SPDIF? I thought I had read that somewhere.
From some light reading I believe these HDMI / S/PDIF Audio extractors use switches on the box itself to Spoof the EDID handshake data needed to communicate with the Nexus to say, "hey send out 5.1 Audio - I can handle it". You set DD/DTS switches and that is what the Nexus will output.

For families, especially with Kids. The Android TV OS is going to be more user friendly to use day to day with a remote control.
The WeTek Core is more of a flexible OpenELEC / Lollipop - dedicated Kodi box with refresh switching, 24p, HD Audio. Proper Hardware deinterlacing etc. compared to the Google Nexus or FireTV's.

All the other Nexus questions, will get more attention if you ask over in the dedicated Nexus player thread.

I'll look at that other thread, but i think this is going back. Already spent too much time on it. Video is bad on my old 1080i RPTV. Seems like interlacing issues. Maybe this is why i haven't ever upgraded the WDTV since that supported 1080i.
(2016-02-17, 02:33)benjidave Wrote: Do you guys recommend the new upcoming Odroid C2 over wetek core? I'll only use OpenElec on it (yes I need HEVC), nothing else. It seems to be more futureproof with real 4k support/hdmi 2.0.

C2 seems to be the right choice, no?
All depends on your needs. If you think you need 10-bit, then you get a 10-bit box. Thats a given.
4K HEVC, is still in its infancy. You won't get 4K Netflix or even 1080p Netflix out of the C2. For those you will need a nVIDIA Shield or a WeTek Core only with AML.

The other big elephant in the room is the new form of copy protection on UHD BluRay discs and available 10-bit 4K HEVC content. Its not going to be a simple matter of running Ripping software over UHD discs for extraction to your home library. This is not possible till the keys get cracked. I don't think it's going to be at all easy this time around. Although surprises do happen.

All of these cheap 10-bit AML devices have very immature Firmware. By that I mean the Kernel code is a mess. Changes to video modes that breaks Kodi compatibility, refresh switching is not working on some devices, 24p does not work properly. Even basic english spelling mistakes in the Kernel code that makes stuff non functional has to be tracked down. 23.976fps movies played at 60Hz on the C2 works, the rest is hit and miss. That's what you get for $40 at the moment.

I do know however one talented Android developer that has fixed all that and is producing results on S905's that will surprise a few people. That device has not been announced yet.

OpenELEC at the moment on the C2 is a very rough WIP. The new 64bit ARM needs a bunch of patches and code changes to get it to work properly. Then the Kernel code will need attention next. The OE guys are on to it.
Ask the same question again in month after more progress has been made.

I've been searching the forums and probably missed it, but where can I find how to assemble a box (not sure whether to use Rasp p2 or Odroid) properly and put KODI on the device? I am new to Kodi, (within the last 6 monts), but after reading everything on the cheap android boxes I want to be rid of mine. Hopefully I can figure out what I need and how to assemble my own box with a clean install. Also, which is the best operating system to use on each device? I have a Denon AVR 590 receiver with 5.1 surround I will be going into. Thanks.
(2016-02-17, 21:24)Vancoonsie Wrote: I've been searching the forums and probably missed it, but where can I find how to assemble a box (not sure whether to use Rasp p2 or Odroid) properly and put KODI on the device? I am new to Kodi, (within the last 6 monts),
http://kodi.wiki/view/Devices

Has both of your options listed, that'll have HOWTOs that should help
(2016-02-16, 14:08)smallclone Wrote:
(2016-02-16, 13:46)psysfaction Wrote:
(2016-02-16, 13:30)smallclone Wrote: Thanks for this. Any idea when these new NUCs are out?

Probably Q2 2016 but who knows... Intel has had so many delays in the last 2 years.
I would keep your cleron nuc runing until then since non of the Intel hardware is "future proof" at the moment.
If your NUC is too slow for your needs than maybe try running Openelec on it since it uses the hardware very efficiently.

I do use Openelec. It's not that t's slow. I just fancy an IR so my Logitech remote can talk to it, and I love NUCs.

Will I be able to plug my RAM and USB with Kodi on into a new NUC?
Why not just buy an IR receiver and plug it in to USB? Way cheaper than a new box and then you can wait for a decent machine to do hevc and 4k properly.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Guys plz help me choose between these devices: Wetek core vs Minix Neo U1

Purposes: Playing 1080P X265 Smoothly with no hiccups or lag what so ever.

Apps: Kodi, MX Player, Netflix & Youtube.

Thanks in advance.
This bit on Page #1 would have given it too you....

Quote:Also to note is only Google Widevine Level 1, and Netflix certified DRM devices are listed for Full 1080p HD streaming.
This rules out nearly all cheap Android media boxes as they will only give you a max resolution of 480p for copy protected paid DRM video streaming services.
All MINIX Android devices have this 480p limitation unfortunately.

Both these devices will play 1080p H265 smoothly, using Dynamic refresh switching in Kodi. MX Player + YouTube works.

10-bit H265 / 4K / 1080p decoding + Netflix in 4K / 1080p = nVIDIA Shield.
** Note 8-bit only video output on the Shield, apart from the Netflix App - due software limitations.

8-bit H265 / 4K / 1080p decoding + Netflix in 1080p = WeTek Core, which can use the Android TV OS versions of Netflix and YouTube + other Apps.
** Note - Audio output for Netflix on the Core is 2.0 only, due to a Netflix restriction.

(2016-02-18, 03:23)KoopaTroopa Wrote:
(2016-02-17, 21:24)Vancoonsie Wrote: I've been searching the forums and probably missed it, but where can I find how to assemble a box (not sure whether to use Rasp p2 or Odroid) properly and put KODI on the device? I am new to Kodi, (within the last 6 monts),
http://kodi.wiki/view/Devices

Has both of your options listed, that'll have HOWTOs that should help

Thanks, looks like a lot of work, but still think I will try and assemble my own.I looked through the links in devices, can I just download an operating system and add KODI, or will I need to learn to write some code also? Any guidance appreciated.
For the RPi2 or the Odroid its the same process, you basically download a OpenELEC.version.img.xz
Uncompress it on a PC, and use the instruction found in this Wiki to write the OE image to a micro SDHC card.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO...Disk_Image

Pop the freshly flashed SD card in your device and power up and do some minimal configuring to start Kodi.

No code needs to be written, if you can follow simple instructions, you will not find it difficult.

Basically these days, if you need HD to lossless PCM Audio, Full Res. 1080p 3D and plan to use all manner of usb dongles and TV Tuners with one of these devices, get the RPi2. It will support a wider variety of USB attachments.

Need 1080p HEVC and a bit more speed when using Kodi, grab a Odroid. I have both but use OE on the Odroid as I need 1080p HEVC decoding and like a faster Kodi interface. The built in IR receiver also comes in handy. This also doubles as my TV Headend server for the entire house.
I never use WiFi with any Kodi box.

(2016-02-18, 18:38)wrxtasy Wrote: For the RPi2 or the Odroid its the same process, you basically download a OpenELEC.version.img.xz
Uncompress it on a PC, and use the instruction found in this Wiki to write the OE image to a micro SDHC card.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO...Disk_Image

Pop the freshly flashed SD card in your device and power up and do some minimal configuring to start Kodi.

No code needs to be written, if you can follow simple instructions, you will not find it difficult.

Basically these days, if you need HD to lossless PCM Audio, Full Res. 1080p 3D and plan to use all manner of usb dongles and TV Tuners with one of these devices, get the RPi2. It will support a wider variety of USB attachments.

Need 1080p HEVC and a bit more speed when using Kodi, grab a Odroid. I have both but use OE on the Odroid as I need 1080p HEVC decoding and like a faster Kodi interface. The built in IR receiver also comes in handy. This also doubles as my TV Headend server for the entire house.
I never use WiFi with any Kodi box.

Thanks...sorry to be naive, but as I am trying to rid myself of a cheap android box (I have friends that steered me in this direction), I think I'll try to build my own. At the moment I don't need 1080P HEVC, I have 1080p HD with a decent receiver. I know in the near future I'll probably have to go to HEVC, but I am hoping it's not necessary for a couple of years. I think I'll start with the RPi2 and use it as a learning experience. Thanks.
If its a cheap AMLogic Android Box you may be able to flash OpenELEC on to it already as there are numerous images about.

Yep a bunch of us started with RPi's to test the waters so to speak and went from there Smile

• 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28