• 14(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-03-02, 21:32)noggin Wrote: No - the Core deinterlaces fine in Android - no need to dual boot into OpenElec.

Good to know- maybe that's the right box then ...

(2016-03-02, 21:32)noggin Wrote: Only caveat is that DVD MPEG2 native interlaced content doesn't get play properly. (Live/Recorded TV MPEG2 is fine)

D'oh ...

One of these days someone is going to make the perfect box Smile

Thanks for all the info so far.
I got a possibility to buy a very cheap broadwell i5 5267u iris pro 6200 htpc and its hard to find info on how good these handle 4k 60fps and other highend htpc requirments. Anyone know if its good ?
(2016-03-03, 14:17)hausmanis Wrote: I got a possibility to buy a very cheap broadwell i5 5267u iris pro 6200 htpc and its hard to find info on how good these handle 4k 60fps and other highend htpc requirments. Anyone know if its good ?

Well as far as I know it won't have HDMI 2 so no 4k 60fps unless it has a display port 1.2
(2016-03-03, 21:04)psysfaction Wrote:
(2016-03-03, 14:17)hausmanis Wrote: I got a possibility to buy a very cheap broadwell i5 5267u iris pro 6200 htpc and its hard to find info on how good these handle 4k 60fps and other highend htpc requirments. Anyone know if its good ?

Well as far as I know it won't have HDMI 2 so no 4k 60fps unless it has a display port 1.2

It does, but Broadwell only supports "hybrid" HEVC decoding under Windows, so it's ability to play back 4K HEVC content (esp 10-bit) is highly questionable. From a Kodi performance standpoint, it's no better than a Haswell Celeron really.
(2016-03-02, 15:17)w3bcr4wl3r Wrote: Hey Smile

Just wanted to ask, since the pi3 is out now what would be the best to do in my case.

Thing is, i got my gamepc connected to a 46 inch tv atm. Running a Quadcore at 3.4 with 1 gb
grap card and 8 gb mem. Its standing in the living room now and i dont like the noise it makes
Also, even tho it works at less then 20% most of the time, the power comsumption is another thing.

Since i only ran it on a pc, i am totally lost now what box to buy. Theres so many sellers
but most are from china and i dislike those products since there is no support.

So im thinking about buying the Pi3 now. Performance wise, vs my quadcore, will it be much lower?
Like menu's / search times etc. ( i know its just out, compare it to a Pi2 then Smile )
Is it wise to go for a Pi3 when all i do is just stream movies and series in 1080p.

Thanks for any advice Smile
With mpeg2 or h264, up to 1080p the picture quality of any pi is very good. All of them have the same graphics engine.

movement around menus etc, which is cpu dependent, is quite good on pi2, and should be better on pi3. But ask me next week when mine arrives.

Just get a 3, if you don't like it some geek will take it off your hands at pretty close to what you paid.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm an offical stupid NOOB to these Kodi Box'es and just purchased a Jesus Box TV 4k model, I haven't got it yet and now afraid i made a mistake. Has anyone heard of it? It was $264 with shipping.

Thanks
Kelly in San Antonio
(2016-03-04, 20:18)kellyvb Wrote: I'm an offical stupid NOOB to these Kodi Box'es and just purchased a Jesus Box TV 4k model, I haven't got it yet and now afraid i made a mistake. Has anyone heard of it? It was $264 with shipping.

Thanks
Kelly in San Antonio

Googled it. I'd try to cancel your order. It's more than likely a cheap Chinese box you could buy for less than US$100. If you bought it because you thought it gave you 'Free TV' - then beware. All these overpriced 'fully loaded' boxes are offering is the ability to watch illegally streamed, low quality, pirated content.

Kodi isn't a route to getting 'free movies and TV'...
"Jesus Box"... that's a new one for a "fully loaded" piracy box Rolleyes.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Greetings Everyone. I was curious on how i could load Dolby 7.1 on to a media player.

Thx.
OTB
(2016-03-03, 22:47)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-03-03, 21:04)psysfaction Wrote:

It does, but Broadwell only supports "hybrid" HEVC decoding under Windows, so it's ability to play back 4K HEVC content (esp 10-bit) is highly questionable. From a Kodi performance standpoint, it's no better than a Haswell Celeron really.

Thanks alot for good replies. Wont buy it then
So Haswell is the prefered windows plattform for htpc ?
Or braswell ?
Which of the Wetek Core/Minix U1 requires less tinkering? I don't mind if the initial setup and customization takes time but I don't want to fw update/factory reset/change settings/reboot/remux/mess around desperately/etc every time I want to watch a movie. I would keep my WD TV if I wanted to. Smile

The Minix already had 8 fw updates and the bug tracker forum has quite a lot of complaints about things that worked fine and went wrong with the update. I don't see that on the Wetek forums, so I'm still leaning towards the Core (although I'm losing my patience because of this endless wait for stock and might buy a Win10 barebone for twice the price in the end).

Heart 
Hello guys, sorry to bother you all... I'm a newbie and I read this guide because I need help in picking the right tv box to buy as a present for somebody who likes user friendly stuff (AKA iphone user Big Grin) and will use it just for Kodi streaming channels (already has Chromecast for Netflix).
I've read all your suggestions and that was really helpful in crossing out a lot of (lame) previous options. I have two last options with my budget: MINIX Neo U1 or HiMedia H8 (due to Amazon fire tv being not available right now in my country). Can you help me decide, pretty please? Thanks!
500usd budget is a braswell the way to go as of now for the perfect htpc thst can play everything perfect ? 3d dts hd 7.1 e 4k 60fps ect ect ?
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28