• 15(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
No windows egl kodi build for Braswell. Which rules that option out due to the colour banding issue.

But egl openelec build works great on Braswell.
Sony KDL-46HX853 and Sony STR-DN1050
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 5.0 speaker package
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Nvidia shield TV running SPMC
Pi3 running LibreELEC
harmony touch remote control
26GB unRAID server
(2016-03-07, 19:22)hausmanis Wrote: 500usd budget is a braswell the way to go as of now for the perfect htpc thst can play everything perfect ? 3d dts hd 7.1 e 4k 60fps ect ect ?

there is no single box/platform which can do everything right now - you have to make some compromises no matter what, and understand that the lifespan of whatever you buy will be 1-2 years max.
Since the Wetek Core is still out of stock i'm making preparations for it when it arrives.
I got almost everything checked except for 1 thing, the remote.
Since i got a new remote recently (Harmony HUB based) i was wondering if the Wetek Core can be controlled with the HUB, over IR, RF or Bluetooth?
If yes then I have a spare USB port which i can use for other things.

I couldn't find a 100% clear answer for this so that's why i'm asking here Wink
A 100% clear answer would be asking over in the WeTek Core thread itself where the WeTek devs. CT or Codesnake would answer directly.
I also found this WeTek Canadian Shop today, no idea if its a legit reseller but it certainly looks like it is.

http://wetekcanada.ca/shop

(2016-03-08, 13:16)wrxtasy Wrote: A 100% clear answer would be asking over in the WeTek Core thread itself where the WeTek devs. CT or Codesnake would answer directly.
I also found this WeTek Canadian Shop today, no idea if its a legit reseller but it certainly looks like it is.

http://wetekcanada.ca/shop

I'll try my luck at WeTek Core thread, thanks.
(2016-03-07, 22:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-03-07, 19:22)hausmanis Wrote: 500usd budget is a braswell the way to go as of now for the perfect htpc thst can play everything perfect ? 3d dts hd 7.1 e 4k 60fps ect ect ?

there is no single box/platform which can do everything right now - you have to make some compromises no matter what, and understand that the lifespan of whatever you buy will be 1-2 years max.

Whats the compromises with a braswell or haswell i5windows/openelec ?
Am I correct that the only ways seemingly in existence to watch DRM channels like HBO with an HDHomerun Prime are to

1) Use Windows Media Center

or

2) Use a device running Android with the HDHomerun View app? Does this app run okay on all the devices that use Android?
For anything to do with DRM and Android Apps you need Netflix Approval and a Google Widevine Level 1 licence to playback DRM 1080p or 4K video streams. HDCP as well. For HBO GO/Now you need a Microsoft Playready licence as well.
No licences means a max 480p resolution, or no DRM streaming at all.

For Android mediaplayers only the WeTek Core has the Netflix Approval, Widevine Level 1 and HDCP licences.
With Android TV - the nVIDIA Shield, Google Nexus and FireOS Amazon Hardware will have the complete set of Licences.
Even then Amazon restricts you to a max 480p resolution for Prime video unless you use their own Hardware.

The Nexus and AFTV1 have had issues watching broadcast OTA TV, particularly deinterlacing mpeg2 content.

(2016-03-08, 13:02)schumi2004 Wrote: Since the Wetek Core is still out of stock i'm making preparations for it when it arrives.
I got almost everything checked except for 1 thing, the remote.
Since i got a new remote recently (Harmony HUB based) i was wondering if the Wetek Core can be controlled with the HUB, over IR, RF or Bluetooth?
If yes then I have a spare USB port which i can use for other things.

I couldn't find a 100% clear answer for this so that's why i'm asking here Wink

I just typed in WETEK in the add device page & got nothing. However, you should be able to learn the IR commands & upload it to the database.
(2016-03-14, 04:43)wrxtasy Wrote: For anything to do with DRM and Android Apps you need Netflix Approval and a Google Widevine Level 1 licence to playback DRM 1080p or 4K video streams. HDCP as well. For HBO GO/Now you need a Microsoft Playready licence as well.
No licences means a max 480p resolution, or no DRM streaming at all.

For Android mediaplayers only the WeTek Core has the Netflix Approval, Widevine Level 1 and HDCP licences.
With Android TV - the nVIDIA Shield, Google Nexus and FireOS Amazon Hardware will have the complete set of Licences.
Even then Amazon restricts you to a max 480p resolution for Prime video unless you use their own Hardware.

The Nexus and AFTV1 have had issues watching broadcast OTA TV, particularly deinterlacing mpeg2 content.

I'm talking about DRM channels from Comcast through an HDHomerun Prime, though, with Comcast's CableCard. Netflix Approval etc are required for that as well? I can watch HBO on my phone with HDHomerun View app.

Kind of makes me wonder why anyone buys the HDHomerun Prime if it's virtually impossible to watch all your channels with it. The $10 for a box from the cable company seems more worth it with all this hassle.
WinkHi I'm new to this. Iam in Brisbane Australia. Can someone please advise where I can purchase a Kodi stick or box.?

can it also be connected to HDMI on my television I have a 8 yr old tv
Basic Kodi box that will work well indeed = RPi3 and connect to your HDMI TV, it can be controlled via your TV's HDMI CEC if your TV supports it.

I've used Element14 or RS Online Australia for purchase. Both are excellent.
http://au.element14.com/
http://au.rs-online.com/web/

Make sure you purchase a 2.5Amp power supply as well as the RPi's are a bit picky.

Otherwise JB Hi-Fi stocks ASUS Nexus Players = Google Nexus Player, that is a nicely integrated unit that works for Kodi too.
Pretty much Plug n Play
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tabl...er/672150/

Others are OSeas mail order, which has always worked well for me, for devices from WeTek, HardKernel, Amazon etc.

wrxtasy I'm looking in a decent good box for gift, have you ever tried the mxq amlogic s805? the fire stick is good but kind laggy and I don't want a stick... I'm looking for something under $50usd if there is any and with a remote.
this is the one I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Bros-Unite-Amlogic...op?ie=UTF8
or another suggestion?
@wrxtasy thanks for this thread. I have a friend who is looking to ease their way into kodi and would like to start off with one of these lower cost boxes. by easing their way into kodi they want to start with media stub files and an external dvd drive. i checked the first few posts and see no mention of the boxes that supports an external drive. do you have any recommendations? thanks in adv
They all support USB hard drives I believe. With Nexus Player and Fire TV, the single USB port on latter and just microUSB port on former are a bit limiting... but, you can use USB hubs, and for Nexus Player, you can use something like this (especially if you want wired LAN capability too).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28