• 16(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-03-18, 21:57)hdmkv Wrote: They all support USB hard drives I believe. With Nexus Player and Fire TV, the single USB port on latter and just microUSB port on former are a bit limiting... but, you can use USB hubs, and for Nexus Player, you can use something like this (especially if you want wired LAN capability too).

thanks @hdmkv - I know external hdd are fine - my question was about external DVD drives though Tongue
Has someone ever tried the mxq amlogic s805? I'm looking for something under $50usd if there is any and with a remote, I want it for a gift and decent use not needing something powerful.
http://www.amazon.com/Bros-Unite-Amlogic...op?ie=UTF8
this or amazon stick or another suggestion for that price?
(2016-03-21, 00:53)moslondon Wrote: Has someone ever tried the mxq amlogic s805? I'm looking for something under $50usd if there is any and with a remote, I want it for a gift and decent use not needing something powerful.
http://www.amazon.com/Bros-Unite-Amlogic...op?ie=UTF8
this or amazon stick or another suggestion for that price?

For this price you could get a Raspberry Pi 3.

The MxQ is not bad but I had to do some work to get the google playstore working.

I think there is also an unofficial port of Openelec you can run on it
(2016-03-04, 09:45)nickr Wrote: With mpeg2 or h264, up to 1080p the picture quality of any pi is very good. All of them have the same graphics engine.

movement around menus etc, which is cpu dependent, is quite good on pi2, and should be better on pi3. But ask me next week when mine arrives.

Just get a 3, if you don't like it some geek will take it off your hands at pretty close to what you paid.

checking back to see how yours is doing Tongue Still didnt buy one yet.
Call it lazy, or not sure if it will do what i want it to. Will be first time i buy
something like this. And although i hate mt htpc buzzing in the living room, aprox
70 euros for the set is still a lot for me.

Also a question, using the pi3 as a htc, does it require a heatsink?

Looking at what % my htpc runs i doubt it but reports on redit shows the pi3
can get real hot and start to throttle?

thanks Tongue
(2016-03-21, 16:32)w3bcr4wl3r Wrote: Looking at what % my htpc runs i doubt it but reports on redit shows the pi3
can get real hot and start to throttle?

It's probably not needed when using hardware decode.
Probably not needed for software decode of SD content.

But software decode of HD content may need it, which is mostly HEVC.
Almost everything else is either hardware decoded or old and limited to SD resolution.
If you care about HEVC then a heatsink is recommended.
A short question. Is there any device (dedicated player like Minix Neo x8) capable of playing 3D Bluray ISO directly from network share? Thank you
Absolutely, all these. Via SMB or NFS.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-03-21, 22:07)hdmkv Wrote: Absolutely, all these. Via SMB or NFS.

Thanks a lot, will then by RPi3 since my projector is not 4K. Also I can see all good about this player. Thanks!
Pi3 and any other player can display at 1080p/60 or whatever your PJ supports.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
This is also what I tough, but found out Minix Neo X8 cannot directly play 3d bluray from ISO via KODI. I am not sure if this was possible with previous KODI versions (I was using in the past own build HTPC with 3rd gen i5) but lately with Minix I was noticing 3D frame sequential wasn't working as it should (SBS, TB was ok). Then I started reading and find a threat at Minix that KODI is not able to playback 3D BD. Now I am able to play 3D BD ISO but only with VidOn KODI version.

Do you have any idea why stock KODI is not able to do it? I would say it has something to be related to Android platform and KODI?
I run OpenElec on Lenovo Q190 machine. Is it possible to play 3D BD ISO movies on it? If so than how? When I try to play one, I just get a 2D picture.
(2016-03-21, 23:23)knfevg Wrote: I run OpenElec on Lenovo Q190 machine. Is it possible to play 3D BD ISO movies on it? If so than how? When I try to play one, I just get a 2D picture.

no, you can't get 3D output from 3D ISOs under any Linux system currently, only Windows.
This is because I cant change the default player? If I "unpack" ISO to folders, will it play 3D or does 3D work only with MKV in Openelec (linux)?
(2016-03-21, 23:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-03-21, 23:23)knfevg Wrote: I run OpenElec on Lenovo Q190 machine. Is it possible to play 3D BD ISO movies on it? If so than how? When I try to play one, I just get a 2D picture.

no, you can't get 3D output from 3D ISOs under any Linux system currently, only Windows.

This is strange since hdmkv wrote RBi can do it and it has linux on it...
(2016-03-22, 00:56)rap3r Wrote: This is strange since hdmkv wrote RBi can do it and it has linux on it...

The rPi can do it from a mkv file with the MVC stream present; it can't do it from ISO unless things have changed very recently
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28