• 30(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
medulin - I'd avoid basing your requirements on purely 'specs'. Are you planning on running Android or OpenElec - the RAM requirements could be very different...

I'm running OpenElec on a 1GB S905-based MiniMX and haven't hit any RAM issues, even when playing 2160/59.94p HEVC UHD stuff. I'm not recommending the MiniMX (it's a very low cost solution but with a few rough edges still) - but am questioning why you think 1GB is a problem. What is the evidence you base this on? (Other than there being 2GB players)
@noggin - as I wrote in my previous post, I need kodi and Netflix HD. I know that I can't use Netflix in Openelec, it's right?
So I need both android and openelec, or only android (with kodi installed). I think that the use of Android needs more than 1GB RAM
(2016-05-08, 10:27)medulin Wrote: @noggin - as I wrote in my previous post, I need kodi and Netflix HD. I know that I can't use Netflix in Openelec, it's right?
So I need both android and openelec, or only android (with kodi installed). I think that the use of Android needs more than 1GB RAM

Android doesn't require more than 1GB of RAM for light duties. However all of the Netflix HD approved TV boxes come with >1GB RAM so I guess only tablet owners can advise on that. AIUI the 1GB issue is far more likely to be for gaming.
(2016-05-08, 11:00)noggin Wrote:
(2016-05-08, 10:27)medulin Wrote: @noggin - as I wrote in my previous post, I need kodi and Netflix HD. I know that I can't use Netflix in Openelec, it's right?

Android doesn't require more than 1GB of RAM for light duties. However all of the Netflix HD approved TV boxes come with >1GB RAM so I guess only tablet owners can advise on that. AIUI the 1GB issue is far more likely to be for gaming.

ok..
ah, two things I forgot:
- I have a Sony 5.1 home theater, even if in this moment is in his box
- I use only WiFi since the TV is too distant from the router so I can't use Ethernet

after that, which box could be good for me? Wetek Hub?
I happen to know for a fact that Android Lollipop has a lot of optimisation, task manager and garbage collection routines in the OS itself to free up memory compared to anything that has come before. I can actually see this in operation during my testing of the S905 WeTek Hub and other AML S905's.

The regular Google Play tablet version of Netflix will also play just fine in 1080p on the 1GB Hub. As will Kodi. You are only running a Mediaplayer here, not a demanding Gaming Rig that would need lotsa memory for textures and such. 1Gb will be fine.

Dual Band B/G/N/AC WiFi with an external antenna as found on the Hub should suit your needs as well.

I will have a full retail test version of the Hub next week sometime and be able to give a more comprehensive review of its features and bug fixes compared to the development Hub board I have been testing.

Yes - AIUI the Wetek Hub will be the first 1GB Netflix HD-approved Android TV box won't it?
If no other Android Streaming devices use 1GB then that appears to be the case.
EDIT Looks like the Google Nexus Player only has 1GB of RAM as well.

Anyone know what Android Apps Playready DRM is used for ?
All I can find is a bunch of DRM video streaming solutions on the Microsoft Website.

(2016-05-08, 12:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Anyone know what Android Apps Playready DRM is used for ?
All I can find is a bunch of DRM video streaming solutions on the Microsoft Website.

HBO Go was mentioned elsewhere as needing Playready DRM.
(2016-05-08, 09:31)noggin Wrote:
(2016-05-08, 08:35)winterfell44 Wrote: Settled on the Intel compute stick cherry trail model. Will do me fine for 1080p and below H264 and HEVC. No it doesn't appear to currently do bitstreaming of fancy audio and 4K might be iffy (hardware decode of the chip is 8 bit only) but looks like the perfect basic offline playback solution without fiddling with Android. Including a tiny keyboard and mouse comes to just under $250 local, compared to $360 for importing a shield. Decided to avoid the flood of sub $100 Android boxes as they seem like nightmares in disguise. Its amazing that no one has made the equivalent of an updated WD Media player 2016 edition (which is what I originally wanted). $100 more than I wanted to spend but eh. More info:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9939/the-i...l-review/4

The Wetek Core and the ODroid C2 both do what you want for less money and neither require you to use Android. (LibreElec builds are running great on them) There are a couple of other S905 boxes that come with cases and WiFi/Bluetooth (MiniMX is one) that also run OpenElec builds and are looking like good solutions. (The C2 and MiniMX handle 10 bit HEVC and UHD too - though this isn't an issue for you)

The Core will also do Netflix in HD if you reboot into Android.

The Stick is on order. Meanwhile, I'll pick up a MiniMX. Yes there is lack of support but I've always wanted to poke around one and see if they are really that bad. $63 with free local delivery is amazingly cheap. And 1080p and below playback shouldn't be an issue.
(2016-05-09, 00:07)winterfell44 Wrote:
(2016-05-08, 09:31)noggin Wrote:
(2016-05-08, 08:35)winterfell44 Wrote: Settled on the Intel compute stick cherry trail model. Will do me fine for 1080p and below H264 and HEVC. No it doesn't appear to currently do bitstreaming of fancy audio and 4K might be iffy (hardware decode of the chip is 8 bit only) but looks like the perfect basic offline playback solution without fiddling with Android. Including a tiny keyboard and mouse comes to just under $250 local, compared to $360 for importing a shield. Decided to avoid the flood of sub $100 Android boxes as they seem like nightmares in disguise. Its amazing that no one has made the equivalent of an updated WD Media player 2016 edition (which is what I originally wanted). $100 more than I wanted to spend but eh. More info:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9939/the-i...l-review/4

The Wetek Core and the ODroid C2 both do what you want for less money and neither require you to use Android. (LibreElec builds are running great on them) There are a couple of other S905 boxes that come with cases and WiFi/Bluetooth (MiniMX is one) that also run OpenElec builds and are looking like good solutions. (The C2 and MiniMX handle 10 bit HEVC and UHD too - though this isn't an issue for you)

The Core will also do Netflix in HD if you reboot into Android.

The Stick is on order. Meanwhile, I'll pick up a MiniMX. Yes there is lack of support but I've always wanted to poke around one and see if they are really that bad. $63 with free local delivery is amazingly cheap. And 1080p and below playback shouldn't be an issue.

My MiniMX has the latest OE build on it. 2160p HEVC plays back OK. 1080i Live TV output at 2160p has a few glitches.

Haven't seen if wrxtasy's MPEG2 DVD fixes are in it yet.
(2016-05-08, 12:55)wrxtasy Wrote: If no other Android Streaming devices use 1GB then that appears to be the case.
EDIT Looks like the Google Nexus Player only has 1GB of RAM as well.

Anyone know what Android Apps Playready DRM is used for ?

HBO Go definitely... if you want credentials to test with let me know and I'll shoot you a PM.
Okay i need some help on this.

I can buy an Raspberry Pi 3B or an Minix Neo X7 (Kodi 15.2). Which should i buy, and why?
Got the MXQ Pro. Uninstalled most of the rubbish that came with including the preinstalled Kodi. Every one of the x265 and x264 720p/1080p files I have work perfectly including 10bit 1080p. Some judder in MX Player, none in Kodi. There is a HDMI Self Adaption option in the settings. Box is pre-rooted which is decent. Oddly no hardware on/off switch and the remote is lacking some media buttons. For the price, I'd buy another one.
(2016-05-10, 20:34)Oxize Wrote: Okay i need some help on this.

I can buy an Raspberry Pi 3B or an Minix Neo X7 (Kodi 15.2). Which should i buy, and why?
Apples and oranges. Read post #1 and ask questions specific to your needs.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-05-11, 00:50)winterfell44 Wrote: Got the MXQ Pro. Uninstalled most of the rubbish that came with including the preinstalled Kodi. Every one of the x265 and x264 720p/1080p files I have work perfectly including 10bit 1080p. Some judder in MX Player, none in Kodi. There is a HDMI Self Adaption option in the settings. Box is pre-rooted which is decent. Oddly no hardware on/off switch and the remote is lacking some media buttons. For the price, I'd buy another one.

I have one arriving today or tomorrow too, got mine for $29USD delivered, so at that price it is worth it just to play around.

What version of Kodi did you install on your MXQ Pro?
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28