• 34(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I have read regarding the Nvidia Shield that it must be rooted in order to use external hard drives. First is this true and if so, is this true of all Android boxes.
I ask because most of my media (DVDs, music) is located on external hard drives.
(2016-05-29, 11:47)fcorona Wrote: I have read regarding the Nvidia Shield that it must be rooted in order to use external hard drives. First is this true and if so, is this true of all Android boxes.
I ask because most of my media (DVDs, music) is located on external hard drives.

It's not true at all. Root is not required to access USB media for most Android devices, and it is certainly not required, at all, for the Nvidia Shield TV.
Well I could not wait any longer for the wetek hub...I just received my 500gb Nvidia Shield today ? too nicer day to sit in and set it up! Looks like I'll be up late tonight fiddling with it!
(2016-05-29, 12:36)wh1stlebare Wrote: Well I could not wait any longer for the wetek hub...I just received my 500gb Nvidia Shield today ? too nicer day to sit in and set it up! Looks like I'll be up late tonight fiddling with it!

Same situation, let us know how your Shield setup progresses. I should have mine in a few days.

Did you get the Shield Remote also?
Yes got it from Amazon, the remote was thrown in for free £219 ?
Looks very slick and I've set it up partially and left it updating the library with all my stuff.
This machine is awesome!!!! So quick, so smooth and it plays everything crystal clear. The sound is great too!
I need to spend some time adding all my repositories back on and then I'm going to check out some fancy skins. My Acer Revo 3700 struggled with some of the graphic heavy skins, but I'm sure this beauty will run them no bother.
I wish I'd upgraded sooner.
Very happy with my purchase!!
How is the Shield Remote to use?
(2016-05-30, 02:52)808? Wrote: How is the Shield Remote to use?

Very usable with the right keymap ;)

http://kodi.wiki/view/Alternative_keymap...on_remotes
Please keep this thread ON Topic.
That being Pick the Right Kodi Box, NOT Setups and Configurations and help for various Hardware boxes, that is what the individual Hardware threads are for.

(2016-05-30, 06:31)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-05-30, 02:52)808? Wrote: How is the Shield Remote to use?

Very usable with the right keymap Wink

http://kodi.wiki/view/Alternative_keymap...on_remotes

Thanks Ned.
What USB flash size box could be recommended for Kodi / Android set up?
If this is a Shield related config / setup question ask over in the dedicated Shield Hardware thread please.

Hey guys, I need a little help about buying a NAS.

I have chosen a Synology NAS already, but now I thought about how to let it work as a media server...

But a few things first...
For what the NAS:
- Movie library (incl. scrapping)
- Sharing the movie library to a kodi client (home network, atm)
- Stream music to mobile devices (incl. transcoding to save bandwidth)
- Storing Data (Important stuff will sync'ed with the clouds)
- VPN
- Cloud
- TVHeadend (sometime in the future)
- Sabnzdb/NZBGet

Choices which device to use:
- 4bay (at least 10TB, a little redundancy -> raid5)
- CPU (for transc. music for more than one device)
- Filesystem (BTRFS reads like a good one for NAS, even Synology disabled the auto restore for now)

I took my choice and wanted to buy a Synology DS916+.

But today I looked into the way I would create the media library...

There is no kodi for synology in the apps. I would have to install it as a docker. Docker support is only given for 1 app (licences for more 50€pY)...
But Plex Media Server is present and is not a docker app (I think).

Now I looked at QNAP, which I ditched before since I don't need the HDMI port.
QNAP don't limit the docker apps. Kodi could be installed as a docker. Even cheaper than the Synology...

But I have read, that the QTS software of QNAP's is not as polished and optimized as Synology's DMS.

What are your thoughts, about the limited docker support? Is this a problem?
I fear, that I can need more than one sometime in the future.

Someone has experience with one of them? Or even with both?

Edit: The main question I am asking is: "Will I regret to buy a Synology, because of the limited docker apps?" (I am not yet willing to subscribe any licence...)
But I don't know what apps will need a locker. Kodi is right now the only one I can name for me.
Synology is a great choice. The way you use it w/Kodi is via creating shares (folders) on the NAS, which you then add to Kodi, either via SMB protocol or NFS protocol.

NFS is not enabled by default in Synology, but SMB is. Also, when creating shares, I recommend not making them p/w protected.

Basic steps are, once you log into Synology's web interface via your PC...
1. Click Control Panel > Shared Folder > Create
2. After the folder is created, select it and choose Edit and do this...

3. Done, repeat to create any additional share folders
4. Now add shares to Kodi, choose what kind of videos (movies vs. TV shows), and let it scan your videos
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Thanks for this tip.
This is what I will look into, if I have it running here.

Just read on some review blog ...
There is no restriction in how many docker apps I can run with one NAS.
Only how many virtual DSM (virtual synology nas) I can run.

Is that right?! That would nullify my question, since I don't plan on running more than One virtual NAS on my physical NAS.
I was just confused by the way Synology writes about it. (Maybe I have read it on another site too)
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28