• 42(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...5457216438
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
How does the Raspberry PI 3 compare to the Fire TV stick? I currently have a fire stick that i'm a little unsatisfied with and am looking to upgrade. It's too slow and crashes way too much. How much more reliable/ faster is the PI 3? My 2 main options as of now are the full Amazon Fire TV and the PI 3, but I'm up for other suggestions. I'd also like to use this as a retro gaming device too.
Kodi is much faster on a Pi3 than on a Fire TV stick. If you don't need Android apps then Pi3 is a great choice.
Quote:Q. Ok , but I have a shiny new 4K (2160p) TV what devices can use this properly ?
I'd add HiMedia Q5 Pro or Q10 Pro as options under this, provided users want to play any 4K from local sources (HDD, NAS).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-07-27, 20:22)hdmkv Wrote:
Quote:Q. Ok , but I have a shiny new 4K (2160p) TV what devices can use this properly ?
I'd add HiMedia Q5 Pro or Q10 Pro as options under this, provided users want to play any 4K from local sources (HDD, NAS).
Yes agreed, I keep forgetting about the Q5/Q10 as it has its own popular thread.

I upgraded to the QBox 5.1 Amlogic from my previous M8 box and absolutely love it. Also bought myself a wireless keypad. Why I never used one of these before is beyond me!!

I dont use the box for much more than Kodi but it runs all the add-ons perfectly.

Got to say thanks for the community with the great tips for what to look for when I am buying an android box.
(2016-07-04, 16:47)Bagheera Wrote: Hey,
just wondering if I can get some help. No big suprise, Im in for a new kodi mediaplayer.

My history up to now: Good old xbox & aTV1. The aTV1 does work up to now, but it needs an upgrade.

My needs are quite simple I think: A reliable fast box able to play my mp4 / mkv (720 and 1080p) from my NAS. I dont really need more than that. But it should be smooth (even with quite a large library of shows).

Im thinking about:

1. RPi3
"drawback" more hassle, I guess. Especially regarding a remote (want to use my Harmony)

2. Fire TV

3. Fire TV Stick

4. Vero 2 (but I guess those boxes wont be discussed here?!)

Which is the best solution? Does the Fire Stick has enough power (dont know if its a real contestant without ethernet port though)? If you guys recomment the pi3: Which IR solution should I take?

and sorry for my bad english, not my native tongue

1. No experience (but you can't do Netflix AFAIK)
2. I have both FireTVv1 and FireTVv2 and would recommend v2. I have no problems playing anything off my NAS, even GoPro 720p@60FPS works fine* [my wifi is not the latest, so both my fTVs are over Cat5]. FireTVv2 support HVEC.265 so get this one, not the v1. USB port supports IR receiver (on both v1 and v2) and I'm using my Harmony 650 with both. Works great!
3. I have a FireTV stick, I find it laggy. Needless to say, your wifi needs to be current and there is no way to run IR received as there is no USB port. I only use this when I travel since it's so small.
4. No experience

All that said, I am still exploring the "utlimate" media box option for me, which is:

1.Be able to play all content (A/V) off NAS/share
2.Support Netflix
3.Support KODI - this goes w/o saying.
4.Support IR so I can use my Harmony 650s
5.Support OTA programming smoothly (both Live as well as Recorded - i use HD Homeruns and NextPVR backend) - I think de-interlacing on the FireTV boxes is weak (if I understand all the posts on this)
6.This is the ultimate requirement, and that is to support a qood quality webcam.

#6 - I would like to set this box on top of my TV and be able to Skype/Hangouts with family/friends that are far away; all the options I've looked at have either 1) decent camera but horrible chipset for other media functions and unsupported by Kodi), or 2) good chipset where Kodi runs well, but camera is garbage.

Cheers
Anyone get the C2 running on Android M yet?
ADT-1 Developer Kit / Nvidia's Shield TV / Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' / Beelink GT1 / Amazon Fire TV 2 / Wetek Core / ODROID-C2 / Raspberry Pi 2 / Nexbox A5
No, also like a bunch of other AMLogic S905 devices the C2 has AC3 and DTS Audio passthrough problems when using Android Lollipop, just like you see in regular Android devices in these threads:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2321890
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=e..._note_v2.0

Personally I would not be buying any Android AMLogic devices running Android Marshmallow either at the moment. Tech specs will be advertised to fool a Newb buyer into thinking everything just works, when this is actually far from the truth. See CNX Software website.
DIY users only at this point in time.

You want bugs then buy bleeding edge AMLogic Android devices and put up with continual, annoying problems. Wink

You get what you pay for with Android AML.

Hey everyone,

I've been reading through this thread, and dang there is a lot to choose from, but am needing help to figure out the best for what I am wanting.

I have a main Kodi system on a computer upstairs in my theater, but am now wanting another Kodi system for downstairs. The computer that used to be in this room I turned into a server, as I wasnt using it much. Now, I'm using the room more, and need my Kodi in there.

So, I dont like having to upgrade stuff in the future. I want to do something that is "upgrade proof" for a long while. It needs to be able to passthrough HD 7.1 sound, and while I dont do 4k right now, it will need to eventually, so I might as well get one now that can do it.

Price isn't really a problem, while I would like it cheaper, my primary focus is a working system. Should I build another computer, if so what kind of specs would be the best bet? I dont want to go overkill and get stuff that is not necessary, but still want it to do what I need. Or is there a box that will take care of me good enough?

Thanks for the help everyone!
(2016-08-05, 16:31)coltonc18 Wrote: I want to do something that is "upgrade proof" for a long while. It needs to be able to passthrough HD 7.1 sound, and while I dont do 4k right now, it will need to eventually, so I might as well get one now that can do it.

Price isn't really a problem
Post #3 of this thread mentions 7.1 specifically. Pretty sure you'll be able to find plenty of good info there.
This is here for anyone interested as I have recently bought 2 boxes.

I bought the T8V4 from here :

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/product...-box-t8-4/

I have also bought a Amazon fire tv 4K box from pcworld.

Both devices run kodi very well and both are have supported firmware updates ( no problems with installing kodi 17 so future proof for a while ) .

Now this bit is interesting

ANTUTU BENCHMARK performance on these two boxes has SHOCKED me.

The T8V4 from entertainmentbox 29534 AFTS SCORE
The T8-S from DroidBOX 35175 AFTS SCORE
The QBOX 30203 AFTS SCORE
The Amazon fire tv 4k box 53245 AFTS SCORE

The T8V4 , QBOX both run with S905 chipsets where as the T8-S has the S815 chipset. The Amazon Fire TV 4K box blows the lot away.

Interesting rather surprised to say the SHIELD brings in 75XXX.

Thoughts?
Hi there!

I don't know if here is the right place to ask this, but, is Fire TV 4K capable to bitstream DTS-HD and DD+?

I'm searching for a media center that do it but it's very hard to find!

Thanks in advance.
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been answered before, but i couldn't find the exact answer on the first post.

I have a nVidia Shield connected to my 4k Epson Laser Projector through an Arcam AVR.

I wanted to know if its possible to play Full 3D ISO (i guess that would be full frame packing), can this be done on the Shield? Or do i have to rely on a windows based machine to do it? or maybe even an alternative box?

Thanks for the help!
(2016-08-12, 16:10)KILLERNADS Wrote: Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been answered before, but i couldn't find the exact answer on the first post.

I have a nVidia Shield connected to my 4k Epson Laser Projector through an Arcam AVR.

I wanted to know if its possible to play Full 3D ISO (i guess that would be full frame packing), can this be done on the Shield? Or do i have to rely on a windows based machine to do it? or maybe even an alternative box?

Thanks for the help!

The Shield will not play 3D in any format. Take a look at this other forum for 3D capable players.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28