• 47(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hi, please help me to decide for my new android box, wetek core vs hub, the principal function is to use a iptv list with kodi and watch movies and series. the box will be use with a rj45 cable.
Hi have a VT60 55" panasonic is the image quality of this good?
Thanks
(2016-08-31, 11:10)PASTRAL Wrote: Hi, please help me to decide for my new android box, wetek core vs hub, the principal function is to use a iptv list with kodi and watch movies and series. the box will be use with a rj45 cable.
Thanks

the image quality of that is quite good. i have one of their last plasmas as well. unless you go OLED you would be hard pressed to find any non-plasma set capable of perfect black levels.

be careful with Kodi however on this set:

Plasma TVs run extremely hot and to this day in spite of all the attempts to prevent burn-in and ghosting, it will still happen. any static images (think Kodi UI) can cause ghosting quickly; over long term (hours?) burn-in which effectively ruins the display.

the ghosting goes away quickly and significant ghosting can be "cleaned" with the built in tv SWIPE or various videos designed to remove it by displaying a random set of color-rotating pixels on screen.

for me, when i know the TV will sit at the kodi menu, i tell my source to blank the video signal (in this case I feed the source Kodi HTPC through my Oppo BDP-105, which has a feature to turn off the video signal).

IIRC Kodi can dim its UI if no activity takes place which helps significantly to reduce/eliminate ghosting and burn-in.

never play video games on a plasma. and watch a mixture of widescreen/full-screen/4:3 ratio content to keep the screen wearing evenly.
(2016-08-31, 11:10)PASTRAL Wrote: Hi, please help me to decide for my new android box, wetek core vs hub, the principal function is to use a iptv list with kodi and watch movies and series. the box will be use with a rj45 cable.
Thanks
Either will work well, there is a IPTV Android App available from WeTek (see the Core forums), or you can just use the TvHeadend Kodi client with a bit of DIY.

If you ever think you are going to be playing 720/1080/2160p(4K) 10bit HEVC video content then the AML S905 Hub is the device to go for. The Core is an 8bit HEVC machine. I personally don't like Hub's IR remote, that could be replaced however with a competitors RF / Keyboard combo remote - the MINIX NEO A2 Lite beastie.

Having said that, just today I've incorporated LIRC into LibreELEC 7.1 on the Hub, so you can now easily program any IR remote control of your choice you have lying around.
LE 7.1 on the Hub is now working pretty nicely indeed ! Smile

Is the play2 better than the core?
Thanks

I'd go with the hub, and then buy a third-party remote if you find the remote that comes with the Hub to basic.
I just bought a HP Prodesk 600 G1 for $300, mounted on a wall behind the PC with a second Vesa stand, perfect.
Hi.

I'm new here (and new to streaming) but have been doing as much reading as I can.

I've been using a fire TV stick which is ok but I want something better.

In an ideal world I would want to be able to stream live TV channels+ have access to online streams of TV shows etc.

From what I'm reading the Nvidia shield is the best box to currently get (not too fussed about paying around that price) although I can see that the wetek core gets a good review too.

I'm still not 100% sure what to get (or if there's something else that's better)

Any help appreciated
I almost do not dare to say, but I'm very happy with my HiMedia Q10 Pro.
The HiMedia Q5 Pro is the same, but can not have a hard drive, but ideally fulfills all your wishes.
Kodi Mediaplayer; Sony KD-55A89 4K Android TV
(2016-09-05, 20:58)Mollymod Wrote: In an ideal world I would want to be able to stream live TV channels+ have access to online streams of TV shows etc.
You must have missed this bit about Live TV and broken deinterlacing.
Quote:Avoid - unless fixed - nVIDIA Shield and the FireTV's and the older Google Nexus Player.
The only device that runs Android currently and has the required TV tuner built in for Live TV streams and also has a dedicated Android IPTV App is the WeTek Play2.
http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...ptv-ott/p1

The Play2 also has the Android WeTV App. Connect an externally powered HDD and your good to record.

You need a backend TV server either running separately connected to a home Network or built into the Box itself for Live TV viewing. Some people use HDHomeRun Tuner devices depending on cost. Others like me use a RPi or a cheap AMLogic device, with a USB Tuner, both running LibreELEC as a dedicated TV server, with an externally powered HDD for recordings.

(2016-08-31, 17:08)PASTRAL Wrote: Is the play2 better than the core?
For doing what exactly, Live TV, HEVC, 4K, Audio, Android Apps, easy of remote control use or Patting my dog ? Wink

For a tech driven forum you need to be way way more specific with your question and what you need to use a media player for.

Hi all, I tried to read through all the posts so apologies if this has been answered already. Currently I have a combination of using gigabyte brix and intel nuc's (2015 models), core-i5's for my HTPC's mainly for 2 reasons;

1. I can use xbox app and stream my xbox one games
2. Use my playstation remote app to stream PS4 games

So, at this time i feel like i need to stick with the Win10 OS. With that said, I also would like to start playing 4k video or HEVC encoded video but it looks like the CPU's can't handle it, and there isn't very good HEVC decoding in the Intel graphics drivers. I keep hearing about Kabby Lake and Skull Canyon, is there anything out there that can run HEVC and 4k video fluidly while still running on Win10, in a small form factor of course. Thanks again!

Tom

Edit: In case it helps, i have the broadwell based cpu's
(2016-09-06, 04:51)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-09-05, 20:58)Mollymod Wrote: In an ideal world I would want to be able to stream live TV channels+ have access to online streams of TV shows etc.
You must have missed this bit about Live TV and broken deinterlacing.
Quote:Avoid - unless fixed - nVIDIA Shield and the FireTV's and the older Google Nexus Player.
The only device that runs Android currently and has the required TV tuner built in for Live TV streams and also has a dedicated Android IPTV App is the WeTek Play2.
http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...ptv-ott/p1

The Play2 also has the Android WeTV App. Connect an externally powered HDD and your good to record.

You need a backend TV server either running separately connected to a home Network or built into the Box itself for Live TV viewing. Some people use HDHomeRun Tuner devices depending on cost. Others like me use a RPi or a cheap AMLogic device, with a USB Tuner, both running LibreELEC as a dedicated TV server, with an externally powered HDD for recordings.

Hi. thanks for the response.

Im probably going to stream through Kodi and Plex, will these still wield the broken deinterlacing (ive done a little reading since your post) however I am new to this but willing to learn.

Edit.. looks like the de-interlacing stuff is what im looking for, so do i wait for the shield to be fixed or something else?
Moin.
I'm about to toss my FTV Stick, since it appears to be completely incapable of playing hires movies (I am talking 720p-1080p) without quitting or buffering at least twice, even with a wlan AP right next to it and a speedtest showing a solid 20-25mbit from the internet (which is the max of my line).
I run an old Denon 1312 on a 5.1 Teufel system and a 3d-capable LG TV (passive, usually SBS).

Which is the better choice at this time, the Odroid C2 or Raspberry Pi 3? Price-wise, they're only like 10€ apart.
Extra power of the C2 sounds great on paper, both would be connected via wired LAN. 4k is not needed. CEC doesn't work through the denon, so I need an IR remote too.

What surprised me negatively is the fact that my ages old wdtv live could play 1080p SBS MKV just fine, while the FTVS is choking on them so badly, they run at like 2 FPS.
Major Differences:

The C2 has a built in IR receiver that you can use to easily program your favourite remote control. HardKernel, MCE and XBOX IR remotes will work out of the box.
I've custom programmed my spare Sony one. Works well.
C2 also does 5.1/7.1 HD Audio Passthrough and decodes 1080p 8/10bit HEVC(H265) video content using Hardware decoding.
Plays 3D SBS mkv's, and will decode 3D MVC ISO Rips's and play them as 3D Half Res HOU (Top/Bottom).

Add a eMMC to the C2 and you have a pretty quick competent LibreELEC Kodi player. Its Noticeably faster than the RP3, and more future proofed, particularly for HEVC decoding going forward.

The RPI3 will give you Software decoding of low bitrate 8bit 1080p HEVC. It will pretty much choke on any 1080p 10bit HEVC with Software decoding. You get inbuilt Bluetooth in the RPi3, which can be added to the C2 for about $4, using a very common CSR 4.0 BT USB.
But the RPi3 will give you 3D ISO Rips output as full 1080p 3D Frame Packed, plus 5.1/7.1 HD Audio will decode and be output as Multichannel PCM Audio. Does you 3D TV do Frame Packed 3D ?

Depends really what A/V decoding and playback features are most important to you.

I think it does frame packed 3D, but 3D is not high priority really. eMMC may be overkill, price-wise. So far it sounds like the C2 may be the winner here. Thanks.
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28