• 50(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-09-14, 06:10)Smokin_Joe Wrote:
(2016-09-13, 14:22)hdmkv Wrote: I wouldn't invest in HiMedia H8 at this point. It's Rockchip based, which is already a minus. PQ is on the flat/dull side, and I believe proper 23.976 is still not supported, nor macroblocking issues ever fully resolved.
I am buying different models one at a time.
Rockchip based...hmmm...already bought it through Amazon.
I will give it a spin and see how it performs.
What chip should I be looking for in a box?
Don't even bother unboxing it, send it back.

Recommended boxes and Chipsets keep being repeated in Post #1, AMLogic, Intel, nVIDIA, Amazon, RPi...

Rockchip is useless, there is not Kodi support for that chipset. Unless Rockchip start using standard Android Application Interfaces they will continue to be useless.

Have you actually read Post #1 properly ?

Quote:Also Rockchip and Allwinner devices are not recommended either due to their lack of official Kodi software support.
Discussion of devices "Fully Loaded" with banned pirate laden Apps and Kodi Addons will not be tolerated.

I will repeat again, limiting your choices to only those boxes with RCA Audio output connectors is going saddle you with unsupported rubbish or expensive Hardware, these are your choices. Really you best bet is try to find working cheap HDMI Audio extractors with RCA connectors and then pick a decent (supported on the Kodi forums) box.

As I said before a Headphone Socket to RCA Y cable from a TV is a far simpler, cost effective solution.

And if its Kodi only you need, avoid Android all together and simply run LibreELEC. A far simpler and relatively bug free Kodi solution. Smile

(2016-09-14, 06:30)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-09-14, 06:10)Smokin_Joe Wrote:
(2016-09-13, 14:22)hdmkv Wrote: I wouldn't invest in HiMedia H8 at this point. It's Rockchip based, which is already a minus. PQ is on the flat/dull side, and I believe proper 23.976 is still not supported, nor macroblocking issues ever fully resolved.
I am buying different models one at a time.
Rockchip based...hmmm...already bought it through Amazon.
I will give it a spin and see how it performs.
What chip should I be looking for in a box?
Don't even bother unboxing it, send it back.

Recommended boxes and Chipsets keep being repeated in Post #1, AMLogic, Intel, nVIDIA, Amazon, RPi...

Rockchip is useless, there is not Kodi support for that chipset. Unless Rockchip start using standard Android Application Interfaces they will continue to be useless.

Have you actually read Post #1 properly ?

Quote:Also Rockchip and Allwinner devices are not recommended either due to their lack of official Kodi software support.
Discussion of devices "Fully Loaded" with banned pirate laden Apps and Kodi Addons will not be tolerated.

I will repeat again, limiting your choices to only those boxes with RCA Audio output connectors is going saddle you with unsupported rubbish or expensive Hardware, these are your choices. Really you best bet is try to find working cheap HDMI Audio extractors with RCA connectors and then pick a decent (supported on the Kodi forums) box.

As I said before a Headphone Socket to RCA Y cable from a TV is a far simpler, cost effective solution.

And if its Kodi only you need, avoid Android all together and simply run LibreELEC. A far simpler and relatively bug free Kodi solution. Smile
properly ?

Ouch

I'll try and do better teach...
To be fair wrxtasy I think the RCA request was in relation to video, not audio, for old tube tvs with composite video in.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It's not at all clear what Smokin Joe wants, all I read was RCA.
Apologies then if he actually wants composite video output.
Good luck with the search !

If the choice was between
WeTek Core
and
Chromebox (Celeron 2955U)
what is the recommended route to have a FLAWLESS Kodi box to play 1080p mkv's bluray owned rip but open for some 4K content ?
The audio side is an HT 5.1 installation feeded via optical (no hdmi equipped receiver)
Thanks in advance
Neither if by "open for some 4K content" you mean 10-bit output + HDR. If you are okay with 8-bit 4K @ 30fps in H.264, then Chromebox is fine. It can't h/w decode HEVC. As for Core, opt for WeTek's Hub or Play2 instead. Believe they do 10-bit decode, but output at 8-bit (if I recall @wesk05's post correctly), but they have no issues playing H.264 and HEVC 4K videos, albeit w/o HDR.

For full 4K, Shield is an option, as is HiMedia Q5 (or Q10) Pro. Latter isn't an integrated Kodi solution however as it only relies on Kodi as a front-end to manage your library, w/actual playback to pushed to the external (native) player app. With Shield, you also get 10-bit, but don't believe HDR works with SPMC or Kodi (not sure).

Upcoming Kaby Lake (Q1 2017) should also be an option, but based on Intel's history, it takes a while to get proper graphics/other drivers for "flawless" video playback.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
First of all many thanks for your advice!
Regarding 4K content is not a real and present need since my prj is a 1080p and it will be there in the next years while the tv is going to be changed in a 4K model but i've not yet decided the maker and model (albeit best chance should be for 55" 4k LG Oled) ...
I've seen specs and i'd like to go for WeTek Play2... now i go to read the specific thread
Thanks again!

EDIT
One very basic question: the WETek Play 2 comes with KODI already installed/set and ready to be feeded by my movies library right?
Yes WeTek Play2 comes with a coupla of versions of Kodi. Kodi 17, which is still in Beta and has a bunch of bugs and the nicely tweaked and AMLogic optimised Kodi Jarvis fork - called Wetek Media Player which is a much better proposition at the moment.

Then there is the pretty nicely sorted LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis when you dual boot. Smile

4K HDR10 at the moment really is a bunch of test clips, unless you film your own HDR content OR stream 4K HDR Netflix with a nVIDIA Shield.
No ability to rip UHD Blurays available either due to locked down copy protection.

(2016-09-14, 12:59)wrxtasy Wrote: It's not at all clear what Smokin Joe wants, all I read was RCA.
Apologies then if he actually wants composite video output.
Good luck with the search !
(2016-09-10, 10:35)Smokin_Joe Wrote: I will be buying a few Kodi approved boxes for my 5 tv's. I just ordered a Mimix U1 based on information contained, in this thread..
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B018ZAZ...UTF8&psc=1
Are there any boxes, that you can recommend, that come with rca connectors.
I have a couple of 32" tube tv's that are too heavy to move, without wreckin them...lol
Thanks again for the info..

Thanks for warning me on the Rockchip Everyone.
Had a chance to read a little about the Kodi conflicts.
I will be testing the Minix on a tube tv as well as the HDMI ones. I have a little HDMI to RCA converter I can use.
Minix & Himedia both can be bought through Chinese markets from the factory.
Do they have the same "support" as if they were bought here? (same specs etc)
Do they have different serial numbers or codes I should be aware of?
Are these bad questions?
(2016-09-14, 16:35)hdmkv Wrote: As for Core, opt for WeTek's Hub or Play2 instead. Believe they do 10-bit decode, but output at 8-bit (if I recall @wesk05's post correctly), but they have no issues playing H.264 and HEVC 4K videos, albeit w/o HDR.

Should add that the Wetek Hub will replay H265/HEVC 10-bit HDR-10 content in Kodi - but does so in a way that probably means you won't get HDR-10 decoding (it's expected to be output at 8-bit). Watching HDR-10 Rec 2020 stuff in 8-bit 709 looks very odd. It IS viewable - but you wouldn't want to watch it for very long - it all looks very flat and the levels are all over the place (as you'd expect)

However there is no real HDR functionality in current Kodi releases AIUI, and there are now at least three standards to keep across for consumer content : Dolby Vision, HDR-10 and HLG.
(2016-09-15, 05:54)Smokin_Joe Wrote: Minix & Himedia both can be bought through Chinese markets from the factory.
Do they have the same "support" as if they were bought here? (same specs etc)
Do they have different serial numbers or codes I should be aware of?
Are these bad questions?
Like everything in life cheaper can sometimes be a bargain, but when it comes to hassle free media players, Markets sourcing is an unknown area.
Honestly we have no idea. I would be more concerned about warranty issues if something relatively expensive failed.
1 cheap tester as a sampler device would be the least risk way to go if going down that path...

Okay
The Minix arrived from Amazon.ca
Little confused and disappointed about how it is working.
Programs you install abc family or sports app, from the installed software, won't play
"check error log"
Added log viewer for Kodi, turned on debugging...nothing in log when I trigger error.
Google play store app is acting funny, loaded funny from start little spinning circle wouldn't stop, Scroll down home page of Google play and you can't scroll all the way back up.
This is an offical Minix Neo U1.
Just found something at the Minix Neo Forum about updating Playstore.
Looks like I got another project.
Later Guys
For Android Apps support on MINIX, go to....

MINIX U1 Support forum

Android Apps support has nothing to do with Kodi and is actually off topic here on the Kodi forums.

(2016-09-16, 05:10)wrxtasy Wrote: For Android Apps support on MINIX, go to....

MINIX U1 Support forum

Android Apps support has nothing to do with Kodi and is actually off topic here on the Kodi forums.
Thanks for the link,
The Kodi part of it is not working right either.
I will be doing a factory reset over the weekend and if it still seems odd it will be going back to Amazon.
Thanks Everybody
If not already aware...
You need to use the custom XBMC/KODI for MINIX App that is optimised for use on the AMLogic S905 - MINIX U1.

The regular Android Kodi App will not cut it and there will be lots of bugs due to no Android Kodi code maintainer.

Anyway all the detailed setup info is on MINIX's forums, you will find comprehensive support over there.

• 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28