• 51(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-09-16, 06:59)wrxtasy Wrote: If not already aware...
You need to use the custom XBMC/KODI for MINIX App that is optimised for use on the AMLogic S905 - MINIX U1.

The regular Android Kodi App will not cut it and there will be lots of bugs due to no Android Kodi code maintainer.

Anyway all the detailed setup info is on MINIX's forums, you will find comprehensive support over there.
When I clicked on the kodi symbol on the home screen nothing was inside. I then clicked the + sign and added the xbmc for kodi app.
Once in the kodi program I tried a addon, some sports thing. Installed or enabled the program. When I tried to watch anything on the sports app caused an "error view log".
I will do a factory reset, add the firmware update app, and if it still doesn't want to work.
Back she goes to Amazon.

I am tired long day been up since 4am it is 10pm now.
Thanks for input.
If this is an Illegal Kodi Banned Addon streaming Pirate content you will find no support here on the Kodi forums.
Please be aware of the Kodi forum Rules and Piracy Policy. (Links at the top of the forum)

Video streaming Addons are notorious for not working, servers get taken offline constantly. Support gets dropped. It really is a lottery and not the fault of Kodi nor MINIX. That being the case any Kodi box you get will have the exact same issues.

(2016-09-16, 07:13)wrxtasy Wrote: If this is an Illegal Kodi Banned Addon streaming Pirate content you will find no support here on the Kodi forums.
Please be aware of the Kodi forum Rules and Piracy Policy. (Links at the top of the forum)

Video streaming Addons are notorious for not working, servers get taken offline constantly. Support gets dropped. It really is a lottery and not the fault of Kodi nor MINIX. That being the case any Kodi box you get will have the exact same issues.
Wrxtasy
It is the official internal program that came with the MINIX
Banned addon...my God
IT is part of the program from the manufacturer.
This is a NO LOAD box
Geez
I am going to buy another HDMI input TV to go in my office. Just so I can test the boxes near my computers. Either the boxes work or they don't. We are talking about Officially approved boxes.
No such thing as Officially Approved Kodi Boxes, there are only Kodi sponsors, that provide good end user support. These Sponsors cannot dictate to the Kodi devs which direction the project should head in. Its all kept at arms length.

What is the name of this problematic Addon ?

(2016-09-16, 06:59)wrxtasy Wrote: If not already aware...
You need to use the custom XBMC/KODI for MINIX App that is optimised for use on the AMLogic S905 - MINIX U1.

The regular Android Kodi App will not cut it and there will be lots of bugs due to no Android Kodi code maintainer.

Anyway all the detailed setup info is on MINIX's forums, you will find comprehensive support over there.

You don't need to use the custom Minix XBMC/KODI.

Since I got my U1 six months ago I immediately downloaded Kodi 16.1 from the play store, which provides automatic stable Kodi updates when they are released, with no problems.

I think both Kodi and Minix XBMC both have their problems, they tend to be in advanced features usage, so which one you use will depend on what you want to do with Kodi. I have not experienced the lots of bugs you state will be present in the Android Kodi App.

I'm sticking with Kodi from the play store.
(2016-09-15, 10:58)noggin Wrote: However there is no real HDR functionality in current Kodi releases AIUI, and there are now at least three standards to keep across for consumer content : Dolby Vision, HDR-10 and HLG.
Not sure what you exactly you meant by this? On Android it looks like if MediaCodec Surface supports HDR, then it works in Kodi also. I think it has to be supported by the driver/API. This is probably why HDR doesn't work in Windows or Linux even with graphic cards that have HDR support.
I imagine this question has been asked repeatedly. Tried searching for it but just got thousands of hits so I'll just ask. Is there any performance difference between ASUS and HP Chromeboxs? Got a chance to pick up an HP Celeron 2955U at a decent price. Don't have any experience with Linux boxes though. Could use some advice.

Edit: I know the HP only has one memory slot vs two in the ASUS. Not sure if that really matters though?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2016-09-16, 07:44)wrxtasy Wrote: No such thing as Officially Approved Kodi Boxes, there are only Kodi sponsors, that provide good end user support. These Sponsors cannot dictate to the Kodi devs which direction the project should head in. Its all kept at arms length.

What is the name of this problematic Addon ?
NBC Sports live extra..still errors but it says I have to register somewhere.
Lots of issues with this box
Keyboard suddenly scrolls down out of control
Hung a few times.
Factory reset and update system helped but I still can't find how to update playstore. Normal options don't seem to be available.
Don't worry about it guys
Wasn't meant to be.
It is probably goin back
(2016-09-16, 21:38)wgstarks Wrote: I imagine this question has been asked repeatedly. Tried searching for it but just got thousands of hits so I'll just ask. Is there any performance difference between ASUS and HP Chromeboxs? Got a chance to pick up an HP Celeron 2955U at a decent price. Don't have any experience with Linux boxes though. Could use some advice.

Edit: I know the HP only has one memory slot vs two in the ASUS. Not sure if that really matters though?

like vs like, they're exactly the same. The Asus gets a slight edge when running dual channel memory due to the increased bandwidth, but that's only likely to be evident when decoding Hi-10P or HEVC (or anything else that's software decoded and CPU/memory limited).
@wrxtasy is there a difference between sS905 and S905X?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
S905X = HDR10 + VP9
Not sure if LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis AML bypass rendering or Android Kodi using Android mediacodec API's has HDR10 video output working yet. Wesk05 may have tested S905X, or consult the LE AML subforum.

VP9 is useless outside of a Google TV approved device that can use 4K YouTube like the nVIDIA Shield.
It's all marketing BS at this point in time for AML.

Thanks,

I nabbed a S905X box on gearbest last night because it was $22 or something ridiculous. If it is a paperweight, all well and good, but something to play with.

Also ordered an Odroid C2 so at least I know that will work.

Shouldn't have my credit card in the same room as my laptop.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-17, 04:43)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-09-16, 21:38)wgstarks Wrote: I imagine this question has been asked repeatedly. Tried searching for it but just got thousands of hits so I'll just ask. Is there any performance difference between ASUS and HP Chromeboxs? Got a chance to pick up an HP Celeron 2955U at a decent price. Don't have any experience with Linux boxes though. Could use some advice.

like vs like, they're exactly the same. The Asus gets a slight edge when running dual channel memory due to the increased bandwidth, but that's only likely to be evident when decoding Hi-10P or HEVC (or anything else that's software decoded and CPU/memory limited).

Does this include 3D (HSBS) as well? I seem to remember kodi uses software decoding for 3D.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Hello,
New to Kodi world and in the department which media-player to use.
Still much to learn, and by the many technical terms and issues not very familiar with it. So some advice could be of help.

Did read already several issues discussed by several tests that are made with hardware.
Also I am aware that all hardware do have their advantages, and disadvantages, and not everything is possible in relation to budget and techniques.

Within a network of some family users we share some movies over the internet for streaming. We are familiar and aware into the limitations of internet speed.
Two members within the family group however do have a fibreglass connection. One member 200/200 Mbps, me myself 100/100 Mbps.
The oldest (father 78), only a DSL connection, but only for streaming (is download) and only looking to a simple TV, without DTS surround possibilities.
Still he need DTS audio "converted" into "stereo" if he is looking to movies with only DTS in it.
The member with the 200/200 Mbps connection do have a big TV screen + surround audio boxes plus a network audio receiver.
All movies are kept on a Synology NAS. Me to do have a Synology NAS. Because of that, I think the best option for sharing media including handy apps of Synology in setting up netwerk etc. is to choose for Android media boxes.

Because of local storage on NAS'ses, there is no need to have a mediaplayer for possibility to build in HD storage (HiMedia Q10 Pro).
The oldest member doesn't need the most high tech media box. By still some means of "future" compatibility there are some minimum main specs, that we think the hardware we choose has to be included. At least:

- 1 Gbit LAN
- USB 3.0
- H.265 compatible
- HDMI 2.0 (4K)
- NO Rockwell chip (as of today's knowledge).
- Bluetooth (to connect with bluetooth keyboard / mouse).
- at least 2 GB system RAM

The Android boxes that are coming into view are:
- HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro
- Minix U1

Where as I read that the HiMedia boxes do have difficulties playing 23,976 Hz versus 24 Hz
Minix U1 do have better de-interlacing possibilities for streaming "TV-content".

As several issues are already longer known, and hardware is already form about 2015, maybe several issues are already solved?
Are there other details that I forget in looking after, to think over?
Are there upcoming new devices? (Mostly at the end of the year new equipment are coming on the market).

E.g. I hoped for some extra RAM, as of the Android options, me myself think I will use some other Android apps as well.
So the possibility to expand internal memory with e.g. a fast SD-card could be an advantage.
No gamers however.

Have tested in the Android department using a Lenovo tablet Tab 2 A10-70F (32 GB RAM), using several media player apps.
Don't have great issues found streaming to fit on the tablets 10.1 inch HD screen, (as long as it is no 4K).
(The tablet do have Atmos dolby included, however no real "backside" sound ofcourse).

Thanks in advance.
Before you even get started, what Android Apps specifically are you planning to use ?

This is asked as some Android platforms are a LOT better than others, particularly when it comes to HD Netflix and HD protected, paid for video content streaming Android Apps. Big screen TV Android Apps use from the couch , you want Android TV OS and for that the Shield is what you should look at.

I have not added it yet to Post#1, but the HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro comes with a lousy Infra Red D-Pad Air mouse, which is a PITA implementation to use with Android Apps on any hardware platform. (Kodi only you will have no issues)
For the price paid for HiMedia devices, I find this pretty poor. I would have at the very least expected a Wireless, Accurate Air mouse implementation.
The MINIX U1 has a nice RF Wireless, Air Mouse, Keyboard combo available in the A2 NEO Lite remote. HiMedia has no excuse if MINIX can supply this.

Kodi use only for a media player you should definitely look at a no nonsense LibreELEC Kodi box. Turn it on, boot straight into Kodi, mine take 9 seconds to get to the Kodi interface. Smile

USB3.0 not needed for Video Streaming, even 4K. USB2.0 is plenty.

• 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28