• 52(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Big Grin 
@wrxtasy Thank you for your response.

(2016-09-17, 15:43)wrxtasy Wrote: Before you even get started, what Android Apps specifically are you planning to use ?
This is asked as some Android platforms are a LOT better than others, particularly when it comes to HD Netflix and HD protected, paid for video content streaming Android Apps.
Personally I am not a Netflix user. Few years ago I had a trial account for some months (Holland), and often the specific choice of movies I want to look at, was not within the library. So skipped it. I have read the limitations about 480p content. So for me, it is not that important. What the other members in the family are thinking, I don't know yet. But shall make attention to this issue.

If I should have an account to Netflix. I can pick it up from the extra apps included from my ISP IP-TV box. But if this is HD content, I don't know?
(E.g. for HBO it is). I can just ask the ISP.

But maybe some add-ons as can be chosen within the Kodi application have some new findings I don't know yet? I am not familiar with it yet, in this stage.
Using Android, it could be that I want to use it from the couch writing in an "Office" app. Image (See following text).
Android OS do give me more options to e.g. VPN connections and apps from the Google Play store, and to several servers and options already given by Synology by apps e.g. to look to my family pictures.

(2016-09-17, 15:43)wrxtasy Wrote: I have not added it yet to Post#1, but the HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro comes with a lousy Infra Red D-Pad Air mouse, which is a PITA implementation to use with Android Apps on any hardware platform. (Kodi only you will have no issues)
That's why a Bluetooth connection is important for me. To pair with a bluetooth keyboard + mouse, I do already have.
(Use it often with my tablet. A small only 4 mm thick keyboard with Lithium ion-battery, including illuminated keys).
But thank you for the remarks. Also in relation to the MINIX.

(2016-09-17, 15:43)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi use only for a media player you should definitely look at a no nonsense LibreELEC Kodi box. Turn it on, boot straight into Kodi, mine take 9 seconds to get to the Kodi interface. Smile

USB3.0 not needed for Video Streaming, even 4K. USB2.0 is plenty.
I definitely want to choose for Android as for the apps already that can be choosen in relation tot VPN and all kind of other apps as mentioned a few.

USB 3.0 for the case you plug in a USB 3.0 drive. USB 2.0 is far to slow for copy files over the network and writing to the drive. Specially as for big Gigabyte files as from movies. So at least one USB 3.0 port.
The other USB ports, e.g. for 2,4 Ghz wireless connection of other devices instead of bluetooth could be adequate enough if they are USB 2.0

How is the automatic choice of e.g. 50 Hz / 60 Hz etc. in relation to movies?
Do the MINIX have no issues regarding to play 23,976 Hz versus 24 Hz ??
(2016-09-14, 19:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes WeTek Play2 comes with a coupla of versions of Kodi. Kodi 17, which is still in Beta and has a bunch of bugs and the nicely tweaked and AMLogic optimised Kodi Jarvis fork - called Wetek Media Player which is a much better proposition at the moment.

Then there is the pretty nicely sorted LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis when you dual boot. Smile

4K HDR10 at the moment really is a bunch of test clips, unless you film your own HDR content OR stream 4K HDR Netflix with a nVIDIA Shield.
No ability to rip UHD Blurays available either due to locked down copy protection.
Many thanks, all clear!
One last question is about managing kodi library on wetek play 2 : when i will buy it i will have to rebuild my library due to a change on files location.
I know that i will have to correct a quite relevant number of titles after automatic scraping : i've already done something similar but with the pc (i mean with keyboard and mouse) but i fear that it could be a pain to do it with a remote... it is possible to use keyboard and mouse on wetek for this task ?
Thanks again!
(2016-09-17, 18:34)elche99 Wrote: Many thanks, all clear!
One last question is about managing kodi library on wetek play 2 : when i will buy it i will have to rebuild my library due to a change on files location.
I know that i will have to correct a quite relevant number of titles after automatic scraping : i've already done something similar but with the pc (i mean with keyboard and mouse) but i fear that it could be a pain to do it with a remote... it is possible to use keyboard and mouse on wetek for this task ?
Thanks again!
If you export your library before you change machines it will be identical when you import on the new one. There are plenty of threads on that and it's in the wiki (which is only useful once you know the possibility exists).
(2016-09-17, 14:24)wgstarks Wrote: Does this include 3D (HSBS) as well? I seem to remember kodi uses software decoding for 3D.

your recollection is off, HSBS is no different than a regular non-3D video.

please take (another) look at the Chromebox wiki page, it answers everything you've asked thus far
(2016-09-17, 06:22)wrxtasy Wrote: S905X = HDR10 + VP9
Not sure if LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis AML bypass rendering or Android Kodi using Android mediacodec API's has HDR10 video output working yet. Wesk05 may have tested S905X, or consult the LE AML subforum.

VP9 is useless outside of a Google TV approved device that can use 4K YouTube like the nVIDIA Shield.
It's all marketing BS at this point in time for AML.
Yes, I have checked a S905X box (Mini M8S II). Both Android and LibreELEC (kszaq test build) implementations are flaky at this time.

HDR10 does work on Android and LibreELEC. This is how I would summarize it:

Android (Kodi 17.0 beta 2, SPMC 16.4.2)
10-bit output only when you select 4K resolution & deep color in HDMI settings. For all other modes it is 8-bit Rec.709 output.
HDR10 and Rec.2020 color space is enabled for both 1080p and 2160p resolutions when you play a HDR10 video clip. The output will be 8-bit for 1080p.
VP9 playback broken in Kodi/SPMC. Works in the native "Movie Player".
Refresh rate switching is broken.
No HD audio passthrough in Kodi/SPMC. Dolby TrueHD passthrough works in the native "Movie Player".

LibreELEC (kszaq test build, Kodi 16.1)
No 10-bit output for 1080p or 2160p.
HDR10 & Rec.2020 (8-bit) output works only if you manually set the resolution/refresh rate to the one that matches the HDR clip.
No VP9 playback.
Resolution & Refresh rate switching works.
No HD audio passthrough.
(2016-09-17, 18:21)Babylonia Wrote: That's why a Bluetooth connection is important for me. To pair with a bluetooth keyboard + mouse, I do already have.
(Use it often with my tablet. A small only 4 mm thick keyboard with Lithium ion-battery, including illuminated keys).
I'm a very happy user of the HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro and Bluetooth is working good with keyboard/mouse.
It's a good player that play all my content perfect!
The HiMedia players are the best Kodi players of this moment!
Kodi Mediaplayer; Sony KD-55A89 4K Android TV
(2016-09-17, 22:51)HereIsTom Wrote:
(2016-09-17, 18:21)Babylonia Wrote: That's why a Bluetooth connection is important for me. To pair with a bluetooth keyboard + mouse, I do already have.
I'm a very happy user of the HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro and Bluetooth is working good with keyboard/mouse.
I will try not to mess up their reputation Tom...lol
Ok so I'm new to this kodi and want to stream from now on , first thing first, i want to buy a android tv box that i can install kodi into or already has it installed that supports 4k hd tv. i really want the best one for quick and effective streaming hence why i have a budget of £110 for this. I want you guys opinions of the best box i can get for this price as there is just too much options and I'm not really sure which is the best for me.
Thanks
The first post in this very thread has some good info, and has been updated relatively recently.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting android?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-17, 22:51)HereIsTom Wrote:
So you are saying all HiMedia players are better than every other Kodi media player posted in this Hardware section of the forum ?
Absolute Rubbish. You have NO perspective, or there is something being lost in translation when posting in English.

Quote:- (Q10) Major Limitations - microstutters when playing 23.976fps 1080p Frame Packed 3D video content.
- No DRM 1080p HD video streaming possible from the likes of Netflix, HBO etc.
- Imprex PQ processing engine annoys video purists as it cannot be fully Turned OFF. Others love it.
- Disappointingly for the price paid for the Q10, the remote is a regular PITA Infra Red D-PAD Air Mouse. A RF Wireless one will need to be purchased separately for proper Android Apps control.

And then for 1080p 3D Kodi movie players even @hdmkv awards various Intel HTPC's this:
Quote:#1 / Intel HTPC's or NUC's with Kodi MVC Test Builds / A
======================================
+ Simply gorgeous 3D PQ! Very detailed, amazing depth, spot-on saturation, and just crystal clear!
+ Support for both MVC MKV's and 3D ISO's
+ Integrated 3D MVC and HD audio playback via Kodi! No external player
+ Perfect 23.976 and other framerates

Ha Ha, As I've said before, if you keep using the words like "perfect" and "the best" you are going to get pulled up and hassled each and every time, especially in this thread !
It's obvious you are a passionate HiMedia Fanboy, and thats fine. Wink
All you have to do in future is preface the sentence with "In My Humble Opinion (IMHO) the HiMedia....."

@HereIsTom and @wrxtasy Thank you for your input.

From this stage I think the first choice shall be made for the oldest member within the family choosing a media player, as he has the most problems now using an old "Dreambox" in getting sound (as it do contain DTS) and/or sub titles, when watching movies.
For him we think to choose the Minix Neo U1. The other member I don't know yet, he was at the shop to "feel" some models, and didn't like the interface and more lag in using the IR remote control of the HiMedia, as warned by @wrxtasy already.

For me, I can wait longer as I didn't met big problems yet using the equipment as used now.
I do not have a 4K TV yet (just 1080p), and the few years old bit old fashioned WD TV Live mostly is doing the job well done without many glitches.
With Christmas in perspective, I think the next two months, several new options shall come into play.

E.g. as shown here: Eweat R9 and R9 Plus, with hard-disk recording options of programs coming from a TV-box by HDMI-in
Specs found < HERE >
Is currently s912 or Shield tv capable of "Hi10p" 1080p anime decoding? At least so it is watchable without any buffering. I don't need it to be 100% perfect decoded, but i occasionally find myself to download some anime and then i would like to play it. I currently use plex and surprising my old power hog server is able to transcode it, but i would like to use server that don't use 100-150w when idling Big Grin
BIG TIP: Don't buy bleeding edge AMLogic devices, this includes the S912, and expect support, or features to work properly. You will be on your own. No Kodi dev. is developing for it, and this includes LibreELEC.

See the Kodi Android section of the forums for users already with numerous issues with the S912. No one can help either.
There is no Hardware decoding of Hi10p Anime on any platform. No AML S9xx will have the CPU grunt to software decode Hi10p 1080p.

Also there is currently no Kodi Android code maintainer, so unsupported Android platforms will very likely run into difficulties heading forward.
That is the current state of affairs with Android Kodi.

i know there is no hw decoding for hi10p, that is why i'm asking if s912 is powerful enough Smile

So i guess only option is nVidia's shield.
(2016-09-17, 19:05)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-09-17, 18:34)elche99 Wrote: Many thanks, all clear!
Thanks again!
If you export your library before you change machines it will be identical when you import on the new one. There are plenty of threads on that and it's in the wiki (which is only useful once you know the possibility exists).

Thanks!!!
Sorry for the dumb question, but when i will move my movies i will move also all the newly generated files ( zzzz.nfo / zzzz-fanart.jpg / zzzz-poster.jpg) right ?
And after the move and the first kodi start i can erase them or they must stay there ?
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28