• 53(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I've read lot of post and given my budget and my needs i've landed on WETEK.
In this moment i'm a little bit confused if it is better
Wetek Play 2
or
Wetek Core
Core is more expensive than Play 2 despite it have no DVB (T or S2) : it means that Core is more powerfull for my needs that are mainly based on running KODI plus some IPTV/Youtube ?
In addition what i've understood from reviews it seems also that the remote of Core should be a lot better than Play2 one...
Thanks in advance!
(2016-09-19, 18:38)elche99 Wrote: Thanks!!!
Sorry for the dumb question, but when i will move my movies i will move also all the newly generated files ( zzzz.nfo / zzzz-fanart.jpg / zzzz-poster.jpg) right ?
And after the move and the first kodi start i can erase them or they must stay there ?

Yep to everything (I think!!!).
Disclaimer - I've not done this for years, I use a media manager so don't have the issue. But as I understand / remember it...

Export library to separate files.
Move media to new location.
Set content again.
Scan for new content (rather than import library, which you'd do if exporting to a single file).
At that point you have a library again, so you can delete anything exported by kodi - you can't do that inside kodi though - or not, as you want.
I'd suggest looking at the wiki and reading a few threads here (there are plenty) before you start.
(2016-09-21, 18:20)elche99 Wrote: I've read lot of post and given my budget and my needs i've landed on WETEK.
In this moment i'm a little bit confused if it is better
Wetek Play 2
or
Wetek Core
Core is more expensive than Play 2 despite it have no DVB (T or S2) : it means that Core is more powerfull for my needs that are mainly based on running KODI plus some IPTV/Youtube ?
In addition what i've understood from reviews it seems also that the remote of Core should be a lot better than Play2 one...
Thanks in advance!
It really depends what video content you want to decode and what particular Apps get most use.

If just using Kodi or WeTek (Jarvis) Media Player and the included Android TV OS version of YouTube that comes with both boxes, you don't even have to use an Air Mouse remote, so it ceases to be an issue. Same with the remote control of Android TV OS Apps found HERE that work on all 3 S812/S905 WeTek platforms.

The Play2's remote is IR only with a lot more buttons for ultimate Kodi control an remap-ability and works well. But if you need to use the Air Mouse function its a right royal PITA. The Air Mouse is Slow and pretty much unusable for regular Android Apps control.

Which is where the Core's RF Wireless is superior. Fast accurate and responsive but with less buttons. More of a Minimal remote, I do like it tho Smile

On ALL regular Android Lollipop 5.1.1 boxes such as these to get full control of regular Android (non Android TV) Apps a Wireless Air Mouse, or alternative really is needed. A RF MINIX NEO A2 Lite - Air Mouse / Mini Keyboard combo remote works well on the Play2. From all reports its better again than the Core's remote, due to the extra buttons and Keyboard Functionality.

Both boxes after decoding video content, output video with 8bit color depth, in the YCbCr colorspace. Which actually looks pretty decent.
The Play2 is more future proofed due to supporting up to 10bit 4K HEVC decoding and HDMI 2.0. LibreELEC also has better Audio support on the Play2.

The 8(Octa) Core GPU is actually more powerful on the AMLogic S812 WeTek Core compared to the 5(Penta) Core GPU in the AML S905 Hub/Play2. That really is only important if playing demanding games tho.

(2016-09-21, 19:10)wrxtasy Wrote: The 8(Octa) Core GPU is actually more powerful on the AMLogic S812 WeTek Core compared to the 5(Penta) Core GPU in the AML S905 Hub/Play2. That really is only important if playing demanding games tho.

Many many thanks!!
Since i can exclude to use this device for game, and my use will be at 90% for KODI and the very basic Android apps i think that the choice will be for Play 2 that has also the DVB added value Smile
Very interesting the link to the modded apps: then it is possible to install apps on the WeTek Play 2 without going thru the Google Play store ?

Thanks again Smile
any advice on which will i get?

zidoo x9s or himedia q5 pro?

must passthrough atmos and x flawlessly
must be good in upscaling to 4k or 1080p
picture quality must be great
no audio sync problem
no lags
supports hdr
fast and responsive
Great thread this and a very informative forum - but I have more questions than answers lol

I am looking at getting rid of my Vu+ Uno Satellite box in favour of a Kodi/IPTV box.

I have Kodi installed on a Sony Android TV and like it expect it won't passthru anything but 2.0 sound (I've posted this in another thread)

So I am looking to spend as little as possible (I am married to a very non understaning wife who is still p***ed off with me spending £1.5k on some 5.1 speakers a few months ago lol)

I reckon my requirements are:

Decent boot up and operational speed
Good LibreElec support (rather than android unless someone wants to persuade me otherwise)
at least 1080p (and maybe 4k) support via HDMI
and most importantly full 5.1 output

Oh and I only want to budget around £60 (sorry!!!)
(2016-09-22, 12:35)bongchillog Wrote: any advice on which will i get?

zidoo x9s or himedia q5 pro?

must passthrough atmos and x flawlessly
must be good in upscaling to 4k or 1080p
picture quality must be great
no audio sync problem
no lags
supports hdr
fast and responsive
One box has actually be independently reviewed and thoroughly tested by a knowledgable user hdmkv here on the Kodi fourms here. The other has not.
Which box do you think carries the least risk as you know exactly what you are going to get ?

First rule when choosing any Kodi device: Dont get caught up in the Marketing Hype !

(2016-09-22, 16:20)archercj Wrote: Great thread this and a very informative forum - but I have more questions than answers lol

I am looking at getting rid of my Vu+ Uno Satellite box in favour of a Kodi/IPTV box.

I have Kodi installed on a Sony Android TV and like it expect it won't passthru anything but 2.0 sound (I've posted this in another thread)

So I am looking to spend as little as possible (I am married to a very non understaning wife who is still p***ed off with me spending £1.5k on some 5.1 speakers a few months ago lol)

Good LibreElec support (rather than android unless someone wants to persuade me otherwise)

Chromebox
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-22, 22:24)nickr Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 16:20)archercj Wrote: Great thread this and a very informative forum - but I have more questions than answers lol

Chromebox

£60 for a Chromebox is good going...

Raspberry Pi, ODroid C2 or something like the MiniMX?
I want to point out that the Minix Neo U1 is NOT working correctly for 3D. The only way to get that working is by disabling the hardware accelerator AMcodec. But than the playback stutters!

So as long as you don't use 3D it's fine.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I will go down the MiniMX route I think (nice n cheap and I can buy/build myself something else if it works ok).

If I search on Amazon for MiniMX I get a whole host of devices (Evangel, Superview, Nansii,DooDeen, Easytone etc etc). All 'seem' to have the same S905, 1G RAM, 8G ROM spec. There is also the Beelink as well and all at the same price (£30-£35)

Coming from the world of satellite receivers I am fully aware of clones. Is the Beelink the model that this forum endorses (and knows it works) or are any of these boxes ok?
(2016-09-23, 09:20)archercj Wrote: Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I will go down the MiniMX route I think (nice n cheap and I can buy/build myself something else if it works ok).

If I search on Amazon for MiniMX I get a whole host of devices (Evangel, Superview, Nansii,DooDeen, Easytone etc etc). All 'seem' to have the same S905, 1G RAM, 8G ROM spec. There is also the Beelink as well and all at the same price (£30-£35)

Coming from the world of satellite receivers I am fully aware of clones. Is the Beelink the model that this forum endorses (and knows it works) or are any of these boxes ok?

Suggest you check which Android OS is on the box you buy, Kodi 17 needs Lollipop 5.XX or later!!
(2016-09-23, 09:25)Jeffers24 Wrote:

Suggest you check which Android OS is on the box you buy, Kodi 17 needs Lollipop 5.XX or later!!

I want to put LibreElec on the box I get. Is there anything to check to ensure the box is compatiable?
Generally see Libreelec forums I think. There is a lot of activity around s905 boxes. I got one for $21US the other day (although it is a S905X which is probably not as easy to work with).

And bugger, I left it at the office and now it's the weekend...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Futeko sell ones with Android or Open/LibreElec - not sure if they are a well regarded supplier or not. There is a cost increase from buying via them - but you might find information there that informs your decision.
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28