• 57(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Two things. You possibly don't need the hardkernel Bluetooth or power supply.

I had an El Cheapo Bluetooth USB that worked out of the box.

Also a 5v micro USB power supply you have in the drawer will likely work. It is certainly not as fussy as a raspberry pi about power supply.

There are ways to dual boot the c2, Google finds them, but it would require a bit of experimentation to do it with le as the howtos are all Ubuntu/Android.

That's 3 things actually.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
My old HTPC (Grandia G02 case, SSD, 4GB, Windows 7, CPU=AMD Athlon 4050e) is not running flawlessly anymore. I could reinstall Windows 7 but I am not keen on putting that much effort in an old pc so I'm looking for an new/improved solution. I've read a lot but as a consequence I'm a bit torn between several options. I hope somebody can push me in the right direction.

Current situation: HTPC + 5.1 surround receiver Sony STR-DG510 + Panasonic Viera tv (hd ready/720p).

Purpose: using Netflix (HD), watching movies/series from a homeserver (including some video_ts files) and viewing tv-shows recorded using a HDHomerun (EU-version).

This homeserver is a Windows 10 server which I will upgrade later as I want to start experimenting with Plex or Emby.

I've found the following options:

1) Wetek Hub/Core:
Disadvantage: only stereo at Netflix. And I am not sure if the Weteks play video_ts files very well?

2) Nvidia Shield tv:
This seems like the best plug and play solution but I've read that the Shield can only output 1080p which would result in big pixels on a HD ready tv.

3) Upgrading my HTPC with a new N3050-based motherboard + memory and a new Windows 10 key:
This is cheaper than the Shield option but this would mean keeping a big computer in the cabinet below the tv which maybe is a bit "oldfashioned". Also the question is how long the PSU is gonna last.

4) Buying a second hand Intel NUC
There are a lot of second hand NUC boxes on the market, some even with Windows 10 included. For 150 euro you could get your hand on a box with a N3050 CPU and IR included. But when I checked the benchmarks it surprised me my current CPU is not slower so the question is: what do I gain in this situation?

5) Buying a second hand Vivopc/Acer Revo/Gigabyte Brix:
Regarding the CPU the other boxes seem more interesting. For that 150 euro you could also get a box with a 2957U or even a somewhat older 3227U.

I really like the plug and play of Android boxes like the Wetek or the Shield but maybe they are still not on par with a (small) pc? Regarding Netflix I have heard some positive response on the Windows 10 app. Or am I missing some advantages or disadvantages?
Just to see if the PC is still viable, try libreelec on a USB stick.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Having trouble finding the right box for me.

Here is my current situation:
A Dune Base 3.0 player, with a Mediasonic 4 bay enclosure. I have 4 drives attached to it already. I may need a 5th soon
The Dune Base 3 Player can:
- Bitstream both HD audio formats
- Allow 4+ hard drives connected at once, even with USB hubs
- Has a NAS-like function (all 4 hard drives appear on the network)

Here are my requirements for a new player:
- HD audio bitstreaminng, both DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD
- Must be able to connect 4+ external hard drives, AND have them appear on the network. (I don't have a "Proper" NAS)
- Harmony Remote compatible.
- No need for Netflix, Plex, 3D.
- I also don't want a box which I have to take it apart and unscrew stuff and risk voiding the warranty. I also have no interest in mini-boards like the Pi or Odroid. I want a simple plug-and-play kind of thing.

I have no 'spare' computer lying around. The one I'm using is a 27" iMac from 2010. So that's out of the question.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find a player on the first page of this forum that supports the NAS-like function as my Dune Base 3.0 that I have right now.
(2016-10-16, 04:15)SilverBlade Wrote: Any ideas? I can't seem to find a player on the first page of this forum that supports the NAS-like function as my Dune Base 3.0 that I have right now.

why not keep the Dune as your NAS and just add a new device for Kodi playback? Trying to have a single device for media storage and playback is always difficult because the two have completely different requirements.

I know you said you didn't want something you had to take apart/unscrew, but I'm always happy to provide a preconfigured Chromebox to anyone who doesn't want to DIY (and in fact I have a few extra here ATM)
(2016-10-16, 05:21)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-10-16, 04:15)SilverBlade Wrote: Any ideas? I can't seem to find a player on the first page of this forum that supports the NAS-like function as my Dune Base 3.0 that I have right now.

why not keep the Dune as your NAS and just add a new device for Kodi playback? Trying to have a single device for media storage and playback is always difficult because the two have completely different requirements.

I know you said you didn't want something you had to take apart/unscrew, but I'm always happy to provide a preconfigured Chromebox to anyone who doesn't want to DIY (and in fact I have a few extra here ATM)

The Dune player is huge! Takes up nearly half of a shelf on my media center.

Plus, the fan inside is getting louder. I think it's dying on me, which is why I'm asking for a new box which can replicate what I have already.
(2016-10-16, 06:21)SilverBlade Wrote: The Dune player is huge! Takes up nearly half of a shelf on my media center.

Plus, the fan inside is getting louder. I think it's dying on me, which is why I'm asking for a new box which can replicate what I have already.

do you need that space for something else? If not, fans are inexpensive and easy to replace, certainly not a good reason to replace a functional unit.
Sigh !

Added this additional warning to Post #1 - because numerous AMLogic Android 6.0 box owners are getting burnt with the following issue:

And if that does not convince you that all AMLogic boxes with Android 6.0 are rubbish at the moment then read this post about DTS Audio passthrough issues.

WeTek and MINIX - who actually do Kodi box testing before sale have withheld releasing any Android 6.0 Marshmallow updates or new devices until the DTS Audio passthrough issues are resolved by AMLogic with new Firmware. The new Xiaomi Mi Box is affected by this DTS Audio issue as well.

What do current owners who need DTS passthrough Audio on AML Android 6.0 boxes do ?

Send them back immediately. Especially if they are devices with no after sales Firmware update support. You have bought a Doorstop.

Kodi developers are no longer putting up with using hacky workarounds for any Android devices that ship with Firmware that does not follow Google standard, Android API (Application Programming Interfaces) for Audio and Video playback.

This is why we always recommend with Any bleeding edge Android device, you need all the after sales Firmware support you can get - or put-up (and shutup) with the consequences. Kodi developers (and support staff) simply no longer care.

Hallo again. Smile

I am sorry if that has already been discussed somewhere, but I could not find an answer...

As far as I understand it, the Shield is currently the only device which can actually handle HDR10 and 10 Bit color depth correctly, is that right?

Can we expect a solid LibreELEC platform in the next couple of months, which can deliver the "full UHD package"?
By that I mean HDR10, real 10 Bit output, BT.2020 and of course 2160p, ideally HLG and DV as well.

I know this is a bit of a glass bowl question, but maybe you guys already know what the next/upcoming Intel platforms can do, for instance. Or maybe something like an Odroid C2+ or C3 or whatever...? Smile
Hello all,
I currently have an ATV 1, which will not load Kodi 16.1. I am ready to upgrade, but really would like to stick with something mac driven—everything is mac in the home. Any suggestions as to what would be comparable to an ATV 1? I am looking for hardware that will load Kodi programs and adons, without having to take three days off work to figure it out. If I have to go back to a PC, i will. Thanks
Just run libreelec on any s905 box such as the Wetek Hub or get a cheap s905 android box and run LE.
type2mee,

A LibreELEC 7.0.0 Kodi Karvis 16.1 release for the ATV1 has been done by a fellow LE developer @chewitt and is found by clicking HERE

I don't think you need anything restricted to a Mac driven Kodi box and there are now Plug n Play devices like the nVIDIA Shield that work out of the box.
Even with LibreELEC devices like the ODROID C2, its simply a matter of Flashing a mSD or eMMC, plug it it and you are good to go.

What does work pretty seamlessly with a Mac is any LibreELEC device. Any SMB connected hard drives your Kodi box has attached, show up in a Mac's OSX finder (in the sidebar). You can drag and drop files easily then.

What you neglect to tell us is what Audio and Video requirements are needed. Eg 24p video playback, HD Audio passthrough, HEVC (H265) hardware decoding etc. This is far more important than picking hardware at this early stage.

Hi Guys

Brand new member here, looking for some advise.

I'm looking for a box / device to run Kodi. I have a M8S box I bought online just now which is good for movie's / tv shows but I like to watch a lot of live Sport such as Football (Soccer) Boxing, UFC and NFL.
Which is the best just now, I see a lot of posts about the Nvidia but to be honest it is out of my price range which is about £80.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

John
Don't be a pirate, that's my advice.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
I cheers
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28