• 70(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I am using a GeFore GTX 970 and it can play 4K without any problems. I guess even a GTX 960 or a 1060 could be an option. Regarding the rest of the components, I have a Core i7-5820K (6 cores, 12 with HyperThreading), an Intel SSD 730 series (I made this setup at the beginning of 2015), 16 GB of DDR4 Ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Black), a GA-X99-UD3 motherboard (there are newer ones, like UD4). Since you are using it for other intensive tasks, a 6 core CPU would really be good.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2016-12-09, 11:16)tmihai20 Wrote: I am using a GeFore GTX 970 and it can play 4K without any problems. I guess even a GTX 960 or a 1060 could be an option. Regarding the rest of the components, I have a Core i7-5820K (6 cores, 12 with HyperThreading), an Intel SSD 730 series (I made this setup at the beginning of 2015), 16 GB of DDR4 Ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Black), a GA-X99-UD3 motherboard (there are newer ones, like UD4). Since you are using it for other intensive tasks, a 6 core CPU would really be good.

Can you play HDR Clips without any issue ?
(2016-12-10, 12:10)nsnhd Wrote: Can you play HDR Clips without any issue ?
You can play HDR clips without any problem. You just won't get HDR/WCG output.
OTOH you could retire this monster to being a server, and get a cheap odroid c2.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hey new to Forum. Wow! A lot of Great info on this Thread.

I think this post is relevant on this thread because I just bought a box/hw...but due to some issues I may return and still be shopping!

Yesterday I bought a WeTek Hub to replace my ATV2 for a KODI box.

But...so far it seems like I may be experiencing some "micro stutters"...possibly FrameRate (23.9x fps) issue. I need to debug further...but after some (probably not enough) research I figured the WeTek Hub would be far superior to what I was "used to" on the ATV2. But I for sure want smooth playback...so the micro stuttering is possibly a return point.

Again I need to debug further (just got it yesterday). I'm technical (HW & FW developer on embedded platforms)...but not technical enough to invent a time machine..my main problem! (not enough time!)

So I wanted to ask the forum (especially wrxstasy) about "which box should I buy". With emphasis on the WeTek Hub (cause I already bought it).

Here are my requirements (very light):

1. No Audio Req. - My wife won't let me have big sound Confused
2. Wifi Only - Wired not an option really
3. Really just want a stream lined Kodi box. Other apps are secondary.
4. Don't care bout high res 4k etc. 720/1080p good for us
5. I for sure want SMOOTH (no micro stutters...or stutter when panning) PLAYBACK in Kodi
6. Budget secondary to time..but don't want to spend too too much.

After doing some research and then today reading this forum, I would expect the answer to be: LibreELEC with WeTek Hub.
But yesterday I had stuttering issues with 720p source. Did all the "Kodi" tricks (HW acceleration off, Sync Frame Rate etc.) Still stuttered. Both WeTek Player and Kodi Native.
Note: So far only booted Android. No experience yet with LibreElec.

The WeTek Forum has a huge thread from the earlier WeTek boxes about the 23.9x fps. As well the other boxes (HiMedia Qx) seemed to at one point have FW issues with this as well. It seems like there was some incompatibility with the AMLogic chipset(s) and Kodi (or android?) Kernel mods needed? Sorry I'd know better if I had more time! Wink

So given my Requirements:

1. Should I stick with the WeTek Hub? Test under LibreElec? Debug the "micro stuttering" further? (I haven't done any REAL debugging as yet). Or is the AMLogic chipset and Kodi just asking for playback issues?

2. My main concern (low requirements) is SMOOTH PLAYBACK in Kodi. Stuttering drives me nuts. Should I ditch the AMLogic chipset boxes all together? Go with ChromeBox or something? Nvidia Sheild? I just want smooth playback. Even 4k or HDR future proof not concern. Smooth play back.

3. To me it sounds like LibreElec is the least buggy and has most Dev. support. WeTek Hub has nice dual boot feature...so I can use LibreElec for Kodi and then Android for other apps (the Netflix full HD is appealing)...but Kodi is primary requirement, apps secondary. Seems like Nvidia Shield is Android only...and sounds as if Kodi and Android have some "personnel" issues right now.

Sorry this is half Box Shopping and half WeTek Hub debug. But I bought the Hub at Best Buy and can return easily (but soonish). So just wondering if I should change course now.

Are there some standard test files available I can run to test the Hub or (if return) other box?

Thanks in Advance!
(2016-12-11, 01:28)Burntman Wrote: 1. Should I stick with the WeTek Hub? Test under LibreElec? Debug the "micro stuttering" further? (I haven't done any REAL debugging as yet). Or is the AMLogic chipset and Kodi just asking for playback issues?

2. My main concern (low requirements) is SMOOTH PLAYBACK in Kodi. Stuttering drives me nuts. Should I ditch the AMLogic chipset boxes all together? Go with ChromeBox or something? Nvidia Sheild? I just want smooth playback. Even 4k or HDR future proof not concern. Smooth play back.
Both LibreELEC Kodi and Android Kodi (WePlayer) on the WeTek Hub and Play2 are perfectly capable of smooth Video playback so long as you get your Android (and TV) setup right:

I written a long overdue Mini Guide for this:

The Mini setup guide for WeTek Hub / Play2 - Android Lollipop - WePlayer / SPMC (Kodi) devices.

(2016-12-11, 00:32)wesk05 Wrote:
You can play HDR clips without any problem. You just won't get HDR/WCG output.

Even with MadVR ? That's very disappointed.
(2016-12-11, 04:59)nsnhd Wrote: Even with MadVR ? That's very disappointed.
madVR can be configured to process HDR. It will do the tone/gamut mapping, and PQ transfer. These are normally done by the display. You will also have to manually set your display to simulate HDR mode.

madVR can also be configured to passthrough HDR, but in this case you will have to inject the HDR metadata.
(2016-12-10, 12:10)nsnhd Wrote:
(2016-12-09, 11:16)tmihai20 Wrote: I am using a GeFore GTX 970 and it can play 4K without any problems. I guess even a GTX 960 or a 1060 could be an option. Regarding the rest of the components, I have a Core i7-5820K (6 cores, 12 with HyperThreading), an Intel SSD 730 series (I made this setup at the beginning of 2015), 16 GB of DDR4 Ram (Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Black), a GA-X99-UD3 motherboard (there are newer ones, like UD4). Since you are using it for other intensive tasks, a 6 core CPU would really be good.

I do not have a HDR monitor or TV (yet). I could play back anything without any issues, even HDR samples on a non-HDR monitor.
Gadget enthusiast
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2016-12-11, 17:18)tmihai20 Wrote:
(2016-12-10, 12:10)nsnhd Wrote:

I do not have a HDR monitor or TV (yet). I could play back anything without any issues, even HDR samples on a non-HDR monitor.

My understanding is a GTX 960 hardware decodes whereas the 970, 980 etc. had the hardware decoding removed which lowered the power consumption appropriate for gaming.
The 960 was aimed at HTPC users and the 970, 980 etc. were made for gamers. h.264 vs. h.265.

I specifically bought an older 960 to take advantage of the hardware decoding vs. the 'hybrid' decoding in newer cards.
I have read many complaints from users of newer cards not able to decode h.265 perfectly.

Curious since you wrote you can play anything if you actually can?
Please try the test files in the Kodi wiki if you haven't already.
Most interested in 4K (UltraHD) Test #7 HEVC 10-bit 59.940fps (in TS)

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
@brazen1: I was able to play it with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, but it appears it is using the CPU instead of the GPU. I tried playing it with VLC and the image froze immediately. I do not have Kodi on my desktop.
Gadget enthusiast
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
Go into Nvidia Control Panel/Configure Surround/PhysX/PhysX Settings and here you can toggle between your CPU and GPU.
Here you will find or tell which is going to be the workhorse.

I was interested if you can play that file using any player (preferably Kodi) with your GTX 970 set as the workhorse.
I wasn't able to with my ancient CPU so I upgraded to a GTX 960 GPU and all is well.

The point is, had I upgraded to a 970, 980, etc. because they don't hardware decode, I don't think they would have worked for me.
Curious if your 970 does or doesn't (without the help of your strong CPU).
On paper many things are supposed to work. The real world is often a different story.

Trying to confirm if a 960 is better for HTPC use than 970, 980, etc. No idea about the 10XX models? Maybe someone else will chime in using the same method and file.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I am at work right now, I will take a look at it later. I have VLC and PotPlayer installed. I even tried to force MPC-HC to use GPU decoding. I could see a decrease in CPU consumption only with VLC (about 10% compared to MPC-HC/PotPlayer that had about 40% CPU consumption on average). I have a friend that has a 1060, I will ask him to do the same test.
Gadget enthusiast
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2016-12-11, 18:15)brazen1 Wrote:
(2016-12-11, 17:18)tmihai20 Wrote:

My understanding is a GTX 960 hardware decodes whereas the 970, 980 etc. had the hardware decoding removed which lowered the power consumption appropriate for gaming.
The 960 was aimed at HTPC users and the 970, 980 etc. were made for gamers. h.264 vs. h.265.

You are right, 960 has hevc hw decoder (DXVA compliant) and 970 decodes with CUDA shaders (hybrid decoder).
My 1060GPU has HEVC/VP9 hw decoding but not for VP9-10bit, that's only in 1050!
See link
(2016-12-12, 01:21)brazen1 Wrote: Go into Nvidia Control Panel/Configure Surround/PhysX/PhysX Settings and here you can toggle between your CPU and GPU.
Here you will find or tell which is going to be the workhorse.

I was interested if you can play that file using any player (preferably Kodi) with your GTX 970 set as the workhorse.
I wasn't able to with my ancient CPU so I upgraded to a GTX 960 GPU and all is well.

The point is, had I upgraded to a 970, 980, etc. because they don't hardware decode, I don't think they would have worked for me.
Curious if your 970 does or doesn't (without the help of your strong CPU).
On paper many things are supposed to work. The real world is often a different story.

Trying to confirm if a 960 is better for HTPC use than 970, 980, etc. No idea about the 10XX models? Maybe someone else will chime in using the same method and file.

Well, you are correct. My GTX 970 does not use the GPU for HW decoding (even with setting the GPU as the workhorse for PhysX. Kodi really struggles to play the 4K HDR samples. MPC-HC does play them, but it uses the CPU, no matter what HW decoder I am selecting in LAV Video settings. I am a little disappointed that Nvidia did such a thing, I use my PC for gaming only. Even before I bought my TV box I was using my LG smart TV to watch movies (connecting an external HDD to it directly).
Gadget enthusiast
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
  • 70(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28