• 71(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I've read and re-read the opening posts of this thread many times, but it seems that all of the choices are causing my brain to lock up. So, I am apologizing in advance for any questions where the answers are painfully obvious.

First, I would prefer a Windows 10 based system that is always connected to my AVR to run KODI. Is one of those Intel sticks a good choice? How about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Generation-...ZZC69W45HE
All I want to do is run KODI to play my Blu Ray rips with Dolby Digital/Plus/True HD and DTS/DTS-MA to my AVR via bitstream.

Also, one of my friends just excitedly texted me that his dad gave him one of these junkers - MOD EDIT Full Loaded Pirate Box link removed...

Please read Kodi's forum Rules
Specifically Kodi's Official Forum Piracy Policy

I would like him to have a true KODI experience without the forbidden addons etc etc. Is it possible for me to wipe this box and install libreELEC for him?

Thanks for your time.
Yes a 2GB S905 AMLogic box makes a mighty fine LibreELEC Kodi device.
It will run rings around a Windows Stick for pure Kodi only media player use.

There is a whole LibreELEC Sub-Forum devoted to installing LibreELEC Kodi on such devices:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

All LibreELEC install support to be asked for in that sub-forum pls.

(2016-12-13, 06:35)karelj Wrote:
Also, one of my friends just excitedly texted me that his dad gave him one of these junkers - MOD EDIT Full Loaded Pirate Box link removed...

Please read Kodi's forum Rules
Specifically Kodi's Official Forum Piracy Policy

I would like him to have a true KODI experience without the forbidden addons etc etc. Is it possible for me to wipe this box and install libreELEC for him?

Thanks for your time.

Yes you can delete Kodi from your friends box and install Kodi from the playstore, which you can then configure for your friend
(2016-12-13, 08:06)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes a 2GB S905 AMLogic box makes a mighty fine LibreELEC Kodi device.

There is a whole LibreELEC Sub-Forum devoted to installing LibreELEC Kodi on such devices:

First, apologies for the link. I am aware of the Official Policy here, but I had a brain fart about the link.
Second, according to what my friend told me, it is not a S905 but an S805
(2016-12-13, 09:35)karelj Wrote:
(2016-12-13, 08:06)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes a 2GB S905 AMLogic box makes a mighty fine LibreELEC Kodi device.

First, apologies for the link. I am aware of the Official Policy here, but I had a brain fart about the link.
Second, according to what my friend told me, it is not a S905 but an S805

The link to the LibreElec forums is still valid, there are LibreElec builds available for S805 based devices as well. Have a read in the appropriate threads in the LibreElec forums for S805 builds.
(2016-12-13, 12:32)gsmtech Wrote: The link to the LibreElec forums is still valid, there are LibreElec builds available for S805 based devices as well. Have a read in the appropriate threads in the LibreElec forums for S805 builds.

I will, thanks. Just concerned if the S805 is good enough for the job. Want to know what I have in store for me once I make the trek to my friend's house.
(2016-12-13, 23:20)karelj Wrote:
(2016-12-13, 12:32)gsmtech Wrote: The link to the LibreElec forums is still valid, there are LibreElec builds available for S805 based devices as well. Have a read in the appropriate threads in the LibreElec forums for S805 builds.

I will, thanks. Just concerned if the S805 is good enough for the job. Want to know what I have in store for me once I make the trek to my friend's house.

This is from the known issues section go Kszaqs S805 LibreElec builds:

"no HD-Audio passthrough and multichannel audio output (hardware limitation)"
(2016-12-11, 01:17)nickr Wrote: OTOH you could retire this monster to being a server, and get a cheap odroid c2.

I like putting all processing tasks on one box - kind of a fun optimizing game. Wink I might consider using a cheap frontend but unless things have advanced since I last checked (admittedly a few years ago) there wouldn't be any advantage over even a slightly older server where all media is local. I like being able to use my remote (Tivo slider - highly, highly recommended) to navigate to any area of Kodi w/o the slightest delay and start a movie immediately, and jump to any point in that movie instantly. The only thing I'm wanting for is the ability to seamlessly play the newest most intensive file formats.

Thanks for all the responses, especially the 960 vs 970 discussions. Interesting how sometimes the latest and greatest video card may be less appropriate for Kodi compared to one that had hardware acceleration in previous iterations.
Hi:

I'm looking for clarification. The Chromebox Wiki Page seems to imply that the Asus M004U with 2955U Celeron processor can do 4K/2160p output over HDMI. However, in my trials I haven't gotten this to work and various posts around the internet state that the graphics hardware on the Celeron (GT1) can't do more than 1080p. Has any one managed to get the 2955U to output 4K over HDMI? Thanks.
(2016-12-06, 11:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Its a "Fully Loaded" Pirate box and very much frowned by the Kodi user and development community.
These type's of sellers are bottom feeding pond scum, that leech off Free Kodi development work for their own profit.
They are the worst of the worst.

A bunch of what is promised on that device will not work, with addons broken constantly. Netflix will be worse than SD quality TV. And worse still when you come here and seek the inevitable help that is needed, no one will lift a finger because you bought a Pirate Device.

At the top of this very Forum is this:

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi

Post #1 of this very thread has far better working devices. If you are in the USA a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box is a far better alternative for Kodi and Newbie usage because it runs a very Newb friendly interface called Android TV OS. No Keyboard or extra remotes needed with Android TV OS.

https://www.android.com/tv/

I was able to return that box for full refund since it was within 30 days of receiving it. Thx!

My main interest is to no long have to use Infinity(Comcast cable). I want to be able to access as many sports channels/ live sports events as possible.
Is a specific Kodi box or some other device my best option to do this?
(2016-12-15, 08:02)davex Wrote: Hi:

I'm looking for clarification. The Chromebox Wiki Page seems to imply that the Asus M004U with 2955U Celeron processor can do 4K/2160p output over HDMI. However, in my trials I haven't gotten this to work and various posts around the internet state that the graphics hardware on the Celeron (GT1) can't do more than 1080p. Has any one managed to get the 2955U to output 4K over HDMI? Thanks.

it does 2160p @/24/30Hz without issue over both HDMI and DisplayPort; I've tested on a friend's 4K Vizio TV. It does appear that some 4K sets have issues with the video bios (vbios) used in the stock firmware and my custom/standalone firmware offered by the EZ Setup Script. My new UEFI firmware offered separately doesn't seem to have any issues
(2016-12-14, 17:47)gsmtech Wrote: This is from the known issues section go Kszaqs S805 LibreElec builds:

"no HD-Audio passthrough and multichannel audio output (hardware limitation)"

Hah hah hah..that would be a deal breaker for me, but he might not be as rigid in his requirements. Ugh..I am starting to regret offering to help him. I had no idea he was even getting this sort of device. Really wished he would have talked to me before.
Is it possible with an Odroid C2 to get at least Netflix, Hulu and Kodi functional at 1080p? Currently I just use the built in Hulu and Netflix apps on my Samsung TV and Kodi on the OD2, but I am trying to move everything to the OD2 if possible.
@raidflex: I think it may be possible in Chrome, but only 720p. I know that Netflix (that I am using) can stream in a browser pretty well, did not test it on a device like oDroid C2 with Linux.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
From what I have read in this thread - and other places - I am getting the impression that the only Android based device that will give me full Dolby Digital/Plus/True HD and DTS/DTS-MA pass through via HDMI to my AVR is the nVIDIA Shield. Unfortunately, this seems to be out of stock. Switching my attention to a Windows based solution.
Thanks for all the advice and help I have received so far. I appreciate the patience shown to me.
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28