• 79(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hi wrxtasy,

Another bit of feedback for your Post 1:

How about a section for devices that have a "good remote". It's well-known that the Wetek Hub has a terrible remote, and that the Xiaomi Mi Box has a good remote. What are the others? Does the new Shield's remote beat the Xiaomi?

I know there are already lots of articles out there, including the Kodi Wiki , but I reckon it'll be handy to have this as a section within your post 1. If you disagree, perhaps another thread already has info like this?

I have a Mi Box and really like the remote for it, and your (and many other's) feedback on the terrible Wetek Hub remote was the sole reason I never did buy the Hub (and ended up waiting for the Mi Box)
(2017-01-16, 03:54)KoopaTroopa Wrote: Does the new Shield's remote beat the Xiaomi?
I utilize both and the Mi Box remote is much better than the Shield TV remote. I totally hate sliding up and down for volume control. It is a bloody mess to deal with. I am looking to purchase the Mi Box remote for use on the Shield TV.
The Mi Box remote is on point, and for $20 more than the NVIDIA remote it comes with a free Mi Box.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2017-01-16, 04:31)timstephens24 Wrote: The Mi Box remote is on point, and for $20 more than the NVIDIA remote it comes with a free Mi Box. Blush
Ha Ha Ha, comment of the month that one methinks !
I see what you did there.

I might steal that quote for a list of good remotes !

@KoopaTroopa, Let me think about it. The only issue I can see is remotes controls are highly subjective between individuals. We would need a consensus driven list for it to be relevent which should not be too hard.
If you get a good remote with a sensible, simply GUI, it adds a whole extra level of enjoyment to any media player.

But I do agree with you, Xiaomi have nailed it with the simple, responsive, Mi Box remote. Its the best one I have in the house.
The Hub too improves a hell of a lot when you add a Wireless Air Mouse remote to it like the MINIX A2 Lite.

The main things I've liked about the remotes I like are that they are simple, they don't get in the way of navigating Kodi, and one very common feature between them is that they don't have a lot of buttons.

Over the years these are what I gravitated to:

XBMC on Xbox 1 used the Official Microsoft Remote.

ATV2 with the Apple Remote

ATV4 with the Siri Remote

Xiaomi Mi Box with that Bluetooth remote that only has like 8 buttons, it's the current favourite but amusingly I got that box for my parents and not myself!

Can you buy the Xiaomi remote separately and use it with other devices? (e.g. Odroid C2 or Raspberry Pi?)

--

I've hated using the PS3 Bluetooth remote on an old Ouya

Hated the remotes that came with 2 cheap Kodi sticks

Disliked the HP MCE remote that I had paired with an Acer Revo
(2017-01-16, 05:10)KoopaTroopa Wrote: Xiaomi Mi Box with that Bluetooth remote that only has like 8 buttons, it's the current favourite but amusingly I got that box for my parents and not myself!

Can you buy the Xiaomi remote separately and use it with other devices? (e.g. Odroid C2 or Raspberry Pi?)
I've tried this with the C2, and could not get it to respond. It would make a fantastic Combo for C2's and RPi's if we could get it running. Its definitely worth looking into. Smile

I bought a Mi Box for my non media player savvy Sister. Simply because of the no nonsense Android TV and superbly simply BT Voice remote integration.

Yes I too now adopt the K.I.S.S. methodology. Keep It Simple Stupid.
Too many buttons on a remote, spaced far too close together, with no thought given to the buttons actually used the most, and I shake my head in bewilderment. Wondering what were they thinking ?

\ venting mode on....

Whomever thought the round outer Dial buttons in the middle of the WeTek Play2 remote was a good idea should be shot !
That is shockingly bad remote button layout right there.

I hate the Bluetooth PS3 remote as well for it's tiny, closely spaced button layout. Might be OK for small Japanese hands but for blokes with a Gorilla grip. definitely not !

/ venting mode off !

Anyone with a FireTV like to comment on that remote ?

Smile 
(2017-01-16, 04:31)timstephens24 Wrote: The Mi Box remote is on point, and for $20 more than the NVIDIA remote it comes with a free Mi Box.

Love it!!
how do I know if the shield amazon is selling is the new version or the old?

also what current limitations does Kodi have running on the shield? (if any, as opposed to running standalone on a chromebox)
(2017-01-17, 06:18)bigcat400 Wrote: how do I know if the shield amazon is selling is the new version or the old?

also what current limitations does Kodi have running on the shield? (if any, as opposed to running standalone on a chromebox)

Amazon is selling the new one.
Intel NUC Haswell I3
Nvidia Shield
LibreECEC
Kodi - Leia
From your latest update, it seems Nvidia shield is the most powerful, but still some HD Audio passthrough issues, I guess it still requires SPMC despite the Nougat update
Making the Xiaomi Mi box better on this point and way cheaper (€72.44)
http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/p...d=10317363
with even more of a discount (=> €70.75) using the code : MIBOXIT

Sounds like the Xiaomi Mi box is a real good deal, if you do not really care about gaming, where it will still be far behind the Shield TV
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Android TV
The Mi Box desperately needs Kodi dynamic refresh rate switching & Hardware deinterlacing working, if you need TV in Kodi. To make it a solid Kodi budget choice. Its nearly there. I've actually seen them slightly cheaper on the Aliexpress website.

The Shield is still a better Kodi SPMC(Jarvis) & Android TV Apps device, pity about its 2017 remote :-(
Not many people seem to like the capacitive touch Volume controls either.

Newbie here.

Tons of available boxes, and lots of talk about the Mi Box here. However it only has one USB port.

I am hoping to use the kodi box to play a lot of local content from my USB hard drive, and control the interface with my Logitech K400 wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Can someone suggest a good S905/2GB media box under $60 with two USB ports? I am seeing tons of different ones pop up on Amazon...
Hi there, I have the following situation:
All my video files are stored on a server and shared via samba.
Music is stored locally on my X9S because I want it to be available immediately without any issues (the X9S is always on).
I watch BluRay rips (2D, 3D, HD audio passthrough, full HD) in a separate room and control the X9S via Flirc (there is a USB cable between the rooms).
It seems that the initial playback issues of the X9S are gone but I am not happy with the remote control and the lack of Amazon Video.
Generally I am fine with DIY and tinkering with devices for initial setup or upgrades but I want a device that once it is setup runs smoothly and is easy to control (by essentially anybody).

So the question is: would the New Shield be my best option (I would not use the apparently annoying volume slider because of passthrough audio)?
(2017-01-17, 18:45)paradigmGT Wrote: Newbie here.

Tons of available boxes, and lots of talk about the Mi Box here. However it only has one USB port.

I am hoping to use the kodi box to play a lot of local content from my USB hard drive, and control the interface with my Logitech K400 wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Can someone suggest a good S905/2GB media box under $60 with two USB ports? I am seeing tons of different ones pop up on Amazon...
Q box s905 or Beelink Mini Mxiii S905x

Sent from my FMT-NM7116-01
(2017-01-17, 19:20)sloth Wrote: Hi there, I have the following situation:
All my video files are stored on a server and shared via samba.
Music is stored locally on my X9S because I want it to be available immediately without any issues (the X9S is always on).
I watch BluRay rips (2D, 3D, HD audio passthrough, full HD) in a separate room and control the X9S via Flirc (there is a USB cable between the rooms).
It seems that the initial playback issues of the X9S are gone but I am not happy with the remote control and the lack of Amazon Video.
Generally I am fine with DIY and tinkering with devices for initial setup or upgrades but I want a device that once it is setup runs smoothly and is easy to control (by essentially anybody).

So the question is: would the New Shield be my best option (I would not use the apparently annoying volume slider because of passthrough audio)?
Nvidia Shield is basically the boss. Get it and cry no more. Preferred old model to new but you get a free voice remote. Airmouse minikeyboard most probably solve your X9S issues for control

Sent from my FMT-NM7116-01
  • 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28