• 85(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
apple tv 4 is not mentioned... is it a good solution or not?
Before anyone can even answer there needs to be much more detail given of your EXACT Audio and Video playback requirements.
Like....

4K 10bit HEVC ?
5.1 AC3/DTS Audio Passthrough ?
HD Audio Passthrough ?
Live TV ?
Deinterlacing for DVD's and TV ?
User installable alternative Kodi Skins ?
Need extra Kodi Addons ?

The Apple TV4 can be difficult to get Kodi installed. Ask in the iOS section of this Kodi forum for DIY details.

There is a fork (version) of Kodi for it called MrMC. There are limitations however imposed by Apple to get that App into the tvOS ATV4 App store.
Python scripting code needed to be removed. So you cannot install extra Skins and downloading and installed Addons can be a problem.

I'm after a device that can handle any video I throw at it (HEVC etc.) as well as 5.1 HDMI passthrough for all major formats (including DTS-HD MA and TrueHD). The first post suggest a Xiaomi Mi Box but as far as I can see that's not available in the UK. Also mentions Shield but then it says that the passthrough is sketchy. Any suggestions?

Also, what does "HD Audio" refer to in the original post? Is it the codecs I mentioned above?
Q. Did you go to Post #1 of the Xiaomi Mi Box thread for a UK seller ?

Yes HD Audio - just a short hand way of writing Dolby Atmos/TrueHD, DTS:X/HD-MasterAudio.

Be aware, the Mi Box cannot handle any HD Interlaced content in Kodi from OTA TV streams. Also older VC-1 Bluray rips will cause it trouble.
If you plan to use any of that content then the AMLogic S905 devices handle those with ease when using LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. HD Audio as well.

Hi,
For a use of Kodi (especially streaming) that you recommend to me, Zidoo x9s or some based on S905 like Minix U1 or Wetek Hub?
Is more polished Kodi 17 by S905 (LibreElec) than Zidoo?
Can it be a problem not to have LibreElec support?

I'm lost in SOC and Kodi.

Thanks!
LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on any system will be more polished than Android Kodi period. LibreELEC itself is specifically built to run Kodi smoothly at speed with minimal problems. We call this "Pure Kodi"

There is a whole team of Linux / LibreELEC / Kodi developers behind the LibreELEC project. Android Kodi on the other hand currently does not even have a regular code maintainer. Android SPMC/Kodi is different, Koying maintains that codebase for Android TV OS devices.

The Zidoo x9s and Himedia Q10 do not even run Kodi properly, they use Kodi (or versions of it) as a frontend for external media player software. Some find this solution acceptable, others hate it. This solution will never be as good as pure LibreELEC Kodi. (excluding 3D)

Easiest to use on a budget for streaming = Xiaomi Mi Box running made for TV - Android TV OS with an excellent Wireless remote.

Will play anything you throw at it, on a budget without all the Android Kodi hassles and limitations = LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on a AMLogic S905

Smoothest Kodi Video playback on a budget = AML S905 running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton

If you need strong WiFi for streaming = Mi Box or U1 or WeTek Hub due to having good AC WiFi on board.

Easiest AMLogic S905 devices to setup for LibreELEC Kodi = ODROID C2 or WeTek Hub / Play2. MINIX U1 is easier than generic S905's with a little bit of DIY, plus all the U1's hardware works properly vs generic cheap China S905's.

Note: I've excluded the RPi3 & Chromebox here due to having no HEVC Hardware decoding, otherwise they come highly recommended.

Stay away from AMLogic S912 Hardware if you do not like lots of frustration & DIY.

Very useful, thanks. Does that include S905X devices? I've got a generic Chinese one (which actually is not terrible) and have been trying to flash LibreELEC on it but so far haven't been able to.
(2017-02-08, 04:20)wrxtasy Wrote: LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on any system will be more polished than Android Kodi period. LibreELEC itself is specifically built to run Kodi smoothly at speed with minimal problems. We call this "Pure Kodi"

There is a whole team of Linux / LibreELEC / Kodi developers behind the LibreELEC project. Android Kodi on the other hand currently does not even have a regular code maintainer. Android SPMC/Kodi is different, Koying maintains that codebase for Android TV OS devices.

The Zidoo x9s and Himedia Q10 do not even run Kodi properly, they use Kodi (or versions of it) as a frontend for external media player software. Some find this solution acceptable, others hate it. This solution will never be as good as pure LibreELEC Kodi.

Easiest to use on a budget for streaming = Xiaomi Mi Box running made for TV - Android TV OS with an excellent Wireless remote.

Will play anything you throw at it, on a budget without all the Android Kodi hassles and limitations = LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on a AMLogic S905

Smoothest Kodi Video playback on a budget = AML S905 running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton

If you need strong WiFi for streaming = Mi Box or U1 or WeTek Hub due to having good AC WiFi on board.

Easiest AMLogic S905 devices to setup for LibreELEC Kodi = ODROID C2 or WeTek Hub / Play2. MINIX U1 is easier than generic S905's with a little bit of DIY, plus all the U1's hardware works properly vs generic cheap China S905's.

Note: I've excluded the RPi3 & Chromebox here due to having no HEVC Hardware decoding, otherwise they come highly recommended.

Stay away from AMLogic S912 Hardware if you do not like lots of frustration & DIY.

Thank you very much,
I had read wonders in this forum Zidoo model but if for Streaming Kodi is much better a brand S905, I would not be the one I look for.

I guess it will be other uses that really stand out.
My personal opinion is stay away from Android if all you need is a solid streaming device and want to use Kodi and that is it.

What happens is the Android OS gets updated every so often and there are Always bugs and then many annoying issues to deal with.
This Android OS update / instability cycle is as guaranteed as the Moon, Wind and the Tides Wink

Android does not equals stability like you get with the Linux / LibreELEC based pure Kodi media players.

(2017-02-08, 11:59)wrxtasy Wrote: My personal opinion is stay away from Android if all you need is a solid streaming device and want to use Kodi and that is it.

What happens is the Android OS gets updated every so often and there are Always bugs and then many annoying issues to deal with.
This Android OS update / instability cycle is as guaranteed as the Moon, Wind and the Tides Wink

Android does not equals stability like you get with the Linux / LibreELEC based pure Kodi media players.

Do you recommend me more the Minix Neo U1 or the Wtek Play 2? That for price are similar and both support LibreElec.
Or will the difference be minimal?

It's a shame that Zidoo x9s is not the case, because its main use I'm looking for is Kodi, but I had very interesting things like OpenWRT option and better quality as I read on some websites.

Is it possible to play plugins and have at the same time running streaming for example?

Thank you very much for your assistance.
No probs..

Its still not quite clear what Plugins you are talking about. If they are for access to free Online Pirate content, using banned Kodi Addons. No further help can be given here.

Kodi is just an empty Media Player, what you Plug into it is up to you. Most versions will be pretty much be the same in that sense regarding addons. Where some devices come unstuck - is for serious Kodi users that need comprehensive Audio and Video playback support across a variety of different audio and video file types.

If you are just doing the usual 5.1 AC3/DTS - H264 1080p or a bit of HEVC streaming and really don't care about much else a very easy to use Android TV OS - Mi Box would fit the bill nicely. Its virtually Plug n Play. You get an excellent, responsive Wireless Voice remote and great AC WiFi.

The U1 will have slightly better AC WiFi than the Play2 and you can get one packaged with the excellent MINIX A2 Lite Wireless Air mouse remote. With a bit of DIY and elbow grease you could even Wipe Android all together and install LibreELEC Kodi to fast internal eMMC Flash storage.

Play2 will be easier to setup LibreELEC Kodi and Dual Boot. All you do is hold down the Remote control power button to switch OS's.
Plus you get extras like a DVB Tuner for OTA TV & proper DRM for 1080p Netflix approval, HBO & other protected content Streaming services, which the U1 cannot do at all.
Also Official Play2 device support from LibreELEC themselves which will be become seamless in future with stuff like proper Auto OTA LibreELEC release updates. If you fancy a bit of DIY you can even install a nice unofficial Android TV OS ROM as well. WeTek devices are pretty flexible in that sense.

Be aware cheap micro SDHC's - Samsung EVO or Sandisk UHS-1 Class 10, need to be purchased to Flash LibreELEC Kodi on to initially and then boot into LibreELEC.

It is not pirated content are plugins, which reproduce channels, which can be viewed online for free, have official application on Android for online viewing, the advantage that in Kodi is much more orderly.

Does Wetek Play 2 support Minix A2 Lite?

Thanks for the info.
Yes I have purchased the MINIX A2 Lite and it works on all Android / LibreELEC / Mac devices I have in the house. The Play2 included.
The Mini Keyboard on the reverse side is great !

I wish WeTek would supply something similar as a separately available purchase. Wink

One last question, is it possible to use transmission to download isos (opensource) while playing some other content in Kodi? Or do they need to be dual boxes?

Thanks once again
I noticed you haven't linked the Zotac Zboxes. I just got a B-Series. Quad-core Intel chip, put in an SSD and 8GB of RAM. I'm running Linux but it can also run Windows 10. Amazing, blows my old Android box out of the water, and rock solid. Also supports 4K video!
  • 85(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28