• 86(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-02-08, 15:40)Asunita Wrote: One last question, is it possible to use transmission to download isos (opensource) while playing some other content in Kodi? Or do they need to be dual boxes?

Thanks once again
Yes that should be possible with LibreELEC Kodi Krypton because video decoding and playback is offloaded to the VPU (there can be video decode limitations with the RPI's tho) whilst the CPU on most platforms does very little - so has spare CPU cycles for background addons like Transmission. THIS is where such LibreELEC Addons are found.

I am new here and above all, I wanted to thank all those who contribute your knowledge.

I have read a few times your guide wrxtasy and that helped me to filter many models.

The doubt currently only I have between two that you name several times, is the wetek play 2 or nvidia shield tv (2015)? I leave it at a very good price the nvidia, almost same as wetek.

I like the Nvidia Shield I see that it is compatible with Amazon Prime Video (I understand both 2015 and 2017), but not having support for openelec / libreelec I do not know if it can be a problem for Kodi and its presentations, which today is What attracts me most to these devices, I previously had a raspberry pi (model b).

I read the post of Nvidia Shield and I see very few differences regarding the model of 2017 I miss something to keep in mind? Still worth buying the 2015 model?

First of all thank you in advance and apologize again because we always ask you similar questions as I can see and my low level of English.
Gday and welcome Smile

English reads fine for us Native English speakers.

More info is needed really to tell us what you actually want to do with any media player ?
What is important ?

- Easy to Use Android TV Apps with a Wireless remote ?
- What Apps ?
- Live TV with a Tuner ?
- A Full Google Playstore with ALL touchscreen Android App and not just Android TV ones. An seperate Wireless Air Mouse will need to be purchased for touchscreen Android Apps use.
- Dual boot to a really nice version of LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - which will actually be better than Android Kodi.
- Games ?
- The fastest media player possible ?
- PLEX Server ?
- Audio and AVR ?
- 4K / HDR ?

Thank you very much for the welcome Smile

The idea is to be able to give another use to the raspberry (agony of the test web server) and therefore acquire something better.

Always from Kodi's point of view, since we do not use Plex to share my content library.

Menu navigation, you will not have problems with the Logitech K400 which is what you are currently using, although the remote is comfortable that is the same as the TV Control type, because you can use HDMI-CEC.

Tuner I do not need that I will not connect anything, it takes the TV series these features.

As for applications I'm interested in online reproduction of legal content, ie playing television pages completely, is very much like having amrcadores.

And good little by little get into the world of kodi and therefore have a good device for that purpose.

I also like the idea of ​​playing my library of content, which I have on an external disk, which I like Kodi more for plugins than other players.

And if it were possible and not a limitation for the decision of the player for Kodi that became the first one to look at, that the main video of Amazon's prime.

So I have not thought anything, because I understand that models that are not Nvidia can not support it, but it will not be their main use.

If you support 4K / HDR better for the future.

Thank you once more.
If you do not need a TV Tuner but DO need Amazon Prime Video then the Shield would be the better choice. Easier to use Android Apps as well with Wireless controller on a TV Screen.

There is no Amazon Prime Video on the Play2

And if we did not consider Amazon Prime Video?
Would you also recommend the Nvidia Shield on Wetek for Kodi?
There is not much difference from Nvidia Shield 2015 to 2017 right?
Many thanks.
Still the nVIDIA Shield because Android Apps usage is superior for most people. Plus the device will be a lot quicker. It is the premier Android platform overall.

For Kodi use only I don't like to use Android Kodi at all. LibreELEC Kodi is superior for my refresh and resolution switching, 4K, TvHeadend and more - needs. No pesky, frequent Android OS updates then to deal with that break Kodi features.

2015 2017 nVIDIA Shield differences posted already by Tinwarble:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304226

We purchased 2 WeTek Play 2 units about 3 months ago, one for our house plus one as a gift, but now truly sorry. I wished we had chosen the Nvidia Shield. We chose the WeTek Play 2 as it is advertised as a plug and play type of purchase with an ATSC tuner, but it has not been working that way for us. It has been far more work than setting up our Chromebox and RPI/RPI2 combined. The included remote is terrible, and they still do not have a working epg for the USA ATSC terrestrial tuner using WeOS 2.02. Perhaps other areas of the world are better supported than USA. LibreElec is much better than WeOS, but of all our boxes, nothing works better than our Chromebox/LibreElec for daily entertainment.
I had read the whole comparative, but I see above all aesthetic changes, as it is smaller (2017).
Or for example that the control here allows to easily change the battery.

Worse I do not know if something more important escapes me.
Thank you and I'm sorry.
Hey, i was skimming through all the infos here, probably read all wrxtasy posts, most informative thread around, thank you.
I narrowed my choices to rpi3 & odroid c2, but since i'm gonna need fast network i think i'm gonna go with C2.
Still have to consider the total cost (cca $100) so i need help with that.

My setup will be, playing mostly local video of various formats, up to 1080p, some live tv but not much, no 3d.
I will have large usb stick, or preferably ssd disk connected as a media storage, will need fast wire/wifi transfer from desktop pc to box attached media storage.
So if someone with more experience can tell me, what peripherals do you suggest as essential to my setup, and what could make my life easier?
And i mean things that are specific to the box, like obvious case, maybe power supply or wifi modules? ..i think i will be buying c2 from pollin.de.

I know this post seems like specific to C2 only, but i'm still undecided, for eg. rpi3 will be reusable for various other things after it gets obsolete for htpc purpose.
Hi, it's a bit unclear, do you need WiFi or Ethernet only ?

This EDIMAX EW-7811UTC Dual Band AC WiFi Adapter is compatible with the C2. Pollin.de have C2 packages for 74,95 €
The C1/C2 IR remote is needed for OFF/ON but this can also be done via HDMI-CEC when a HDMI-CEC TV switches OFF / ON.

I'm sure you are aware the RPi3 is it cannot do HEVC Hardware decoding which will cause problems going forward for a Kodi Media player.

I cannot recommend 802.11n 2.4GHz WiFi, like the RPi3 is packing for reliable streaming either. Too much interference in a modern congested Radio Frequency environment.

(2017-02-10, 12:02)wrxtasy Wrote: Still the nVIDIA Shield because Android Apps usage is superior for most people. Plus the device will be a lot quicker. It is the premier Android platform overall.

For Kodi use only I don't like to use Android Kodi at all. LibreELEC Kodi is superior for my refresh and resolution switching, 4K, TvHeadend and more - needs. No pesky, frequent Android OS updates then to deal with that break Kodi features.

2015 2017 nVIDIA Shield differences posted already by Tinwarble:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304226

I had read all the comparative, but I see mostly cosmetic changes, since it is smaller (2017).
Or for example that the control here allows to easily change the battery.

Worse still I do not know if something more important escapes me.
Thank you and sorry for insisting but I would like to place the order shortly. Smile
(2017-02-10, 12:40)wrxtasy Wrote: Hi, it's a bit unclear, do you need WiFi or Ethernet only ?

This EDIMAX EW-7811UTC Dual Band AC WiFi Adapter is compatible with the C2. Pollin.de have C2 packages for 74,95 €
The C1/C2 IR remote is needed for OFF/ON but this can also be done via HDMI-CEC when a HDMI-CEC TV switches OFF / ON.

I'm sure you are aware the RPi3 is it cannot do HEVC Hardware decoding which will cause problems going forward for a Kodi Media player.

I cannot recommend 802.11n 2.4GHz WiFi, like the RPi3 is packing for reliable streaming either. Too much interference in a modern congested Radio Frequency environment.
Hi wrxtasy, thank you for the quick answer, well both wifi&ethernet would be preferable.
For start i will use my samsung cec, but i was planing to buy harmony hub, so i can use it as a one for a all remote.
I'm aware of hardware pros/cons of both devices, that's why i chose c2, i'm just saying, rpi is a nice little reusable machine.
So this package + wifi would be 90 €, that's still acceptable.
Will 8 GB eMMC be enough? i presume c2 can't dual boot to some linux desktop, so it will be only libreelec+kodi
Taking this conversation to the ODROID C2 specific thread....

Hi guys, really long time user here, just popping in to vent

Wondering why all the love for the Android boxes? I purchased a Minix Neo X8-H Plus thinking I would be good for years, but now there is no support for the latest Android and I am stuck with Jarvis until I buy a new box. Rather frustrating to say the least.

Now I could point fingers at KODI and I could point fingers at Minix, but that won't change the fact that I am left behind in the ever evolving world of digital media playback.

I get the whole minimalistic approach as I don't do anything other than stream from my NAS (Netflix would be nice for viewing random documentaries, though my smart TV takes care of this decently) and I need HD pass-through/FLAC and 4K support without having to buy a new box every time android upgrades. This makes me feel that a windows/Linux solution would be best, no? with two little kids at home I don't have time to fiddle around with things, so i tend to shy away from Linux.

Are the windows solutions simply too messy and "sluggish"? I had used them for years and the reason I switched to Android was that I use Android phones (and am comfortable with rooting and flashing) and was tired of being kicked out of XBMC/KODI for windows updates etc., then pulling out the keyboard to navigate to the desktop click the icon and start again. The Minix just keeps KODI running.

I think I am talking myself back into Android/Linux dammit :/

tl;dr - Any ideas/advice for a future-proof tiny box for KODI with HD audio/FLAC and 4K playback?

(oh, and how about advice on a 7.1 receiver to go with it? My Marantz isn't capable of 4K pass-through unfortunately - poor purchase decision on my part)
  • 86(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28