START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hi guys, really long time user here, just popping in to vent

Wondering why all the love for the Android boxes? I purchased a Minix Neo X8-H Plus thinking I would be good for years, but now there is no support for the latest Android and I am stuck with Jarvis until I buy a new box. Rather frustrating to say the least.

Now I could point fingers at KODI and I could point fingers at Minix, but that won't change the fact that I am left behind in the ever evolving world of digital media playback.

I get the whole minimalistic approach as I don't do anything other than stream from my NAS (Netflix would be nice for viewing random documentaries, though my smart TV takes care of this decently) and I need HD pass-through/FLAC and 4K support without having to buy a new box every time android upgrades. This makes me feel that a windows/Linux solution would be best, no? with two little kids at home I don't have time to fiddle around with things, so i tend to shy away from Linux.

Are the windows solutions simply too messy and "sluggish"? I had used them for years and the reason I switched to Android was that I use Android phones (and am comfortable with rooting and flashing) and was tired of being kicked out of XBMC/KODI for windows updates etc., then pulling out the keyboard to navigate to the desktop click the icon and start again. The Minix just keeps KODI running.

I think I am talking myself back into Android/Linux dammit :/

tl;dr - Any ideas/advice for a future-proof tiny box for KODI with HD audio/FLAC and 4K playback?

(oh, and how about advice on a 7.1 receiver to go with it? My Marantz isn't capable of 4K pass-through unfortunately - poor purchase decision on my part)

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Feb 2017) - by distracto - 2017-02-17, 20:47
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04