• 89(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-02-25, 04:21)nickr Wrote: "horrible" is not a technical term. Please explain.

Well, I mentioned that there is no sharpness setting in Kodi android and this is the main issue with the picture on the Xiaomi running Kodi. The whole image is very soft with little sharpness. Really, the bluray quality resolution should not need any sharpening at all, but it does on the Xiaomi. And I don't want to use my TV's sharpening because that would affect everything else that goes through my receiver's single HDMI connection to the TV. The GUI of Kodi looked fine but degraded when playing back content. This may be due to the lack of VDPAU or VAAPI. Hell, I don't know. That's why I was asking here if this was typical with Android Kodi systems in general. Is libreElec the better route to go or will most android boxes just not give the same quality I see on my HD5450 driven Openelec system?
If you have a 4K Android resolution setting change it back to 1080p60Hz before using Kodi.

Kodi has known poor upscaling. Bilinear I believe. Plus your 4K TV will have far better upscaling algorithms than Android media players.

The limitation with any Android media player is there is no App Auto Resolution switching from 1080p > 2160p.
Media players running LibreELEC Kodi do not have this limitation, its all automatic and seamless.

Kodi runs smoother, with less bugs and limitations on LibreELEC than Android media players.

Ideally you want to run Kodi at 1080p60Hz and then only change to a 4K resolution when playing back 4K content.

You are not giving us enough detail of your actually setup. I too see a soft Kodi picture with the Mi Box if I use a 4K Android resolution setting. Use 1080p60Hz instead.

(2017-02-25, 07:55)wrxtasy Wrote: The limitation with any Android media player is there is no App Auto Resolution switching from 1080p > 2160p.
Kodi/SPMC/MrMC/Vimu etc. will do resolution switching on Amazon fireTV 2.
Nice .... someone needs to do an up to date review of the AFTV2 outlining what now actually works - A/V wise.

Info is obviously way out of date, that I have Wink

(2017-02-25, 07:55)wrxtasy Wrote: If you have a 4K Android resolution setting change it back to 1080p60Hz before using Kodi.

Kodi has known poor upscaling. Bilinear I believe. Plus your 4K TV will have far better upscaling algorithms than Android media players.

The limitation with any Android media player is there is no App Auto Resolution switching from 1080p > 2160p.
Media players running LibreELEC Kodi do not have this limitation, its all automatic and seamless.

Kodi runs smoother, with less bugs and limitations on LibreELEC than Android media players.

Ideally you want to run Kodi at 1080p60Hz and then only change to a 4K resolution when playing back 4K content.

You are not giving us enough detail of your actually setup. I too see a soft Kodi picture with the Mi Box if I use a 4K Android resolution setting. Use 1080p60Hz instead.

Now, this is the kind of info I was looking for so thank you for the insight. My main setup is a dual-core HP mini with an HD5450, gig LAN, going to an Onkyo receiver and on to a 4K 65" Samsung. This setup works perfectly, but I'd like to get a smaller box so I can also take it with me. I have an old AIOS that is on its last leg...and that leg is broken. Big Grin

I didn't even consider that I might need to manually switch the resolution myself. The Mi was kind of a deal breaker for me without direct LAN support anyway. But the box (Mini M8S II) I recently saw being discussed a few pages back is probably more like what I want, but I would like gigabyte LAN. So, based on your input, I'm going to scout out boxes that support LibreElec and have gig LAN.
(2017-02-25, 19:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Nice .... someone needs to do an up to date review of the AFTV2 outlining what now actually works - A/V wise.

Hmmmm... the plot thickens as it always does. Man, if I could get a box that dual booted android and LibreElec that would be something.
Well ALL the WeTek Android Boxes do.
You just hold down the remote control Power button at boot time to flip OS's.

Others cheap AML's Android's have different procedures. I think you may have to physically eject the SD card on those.

(2017-02-25, 19:59)emailcraigs Wrote: But the box (Mini M8S II) I recently saw being discussed a few pages back is probably more like what I want, but I would like gigabyte LAN. So, based on your input, I'm going to scout out boxes that support LibreElec and have gig LAN.
ODROID-C2 has Gigabit LAN and well as the AML S905 WeTek Hub / Play2. All LibreELEC capable.

The Mi Box has really good AC WiFi. You can stream Bluray 45Mbps rips just fine.

(2017-02-25, 19:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Nice .... someone needs to do an up to date review of the AFTV2 outlining what now actually works - A/V wise.

Oops... I accidentally typed in Kodi also. I don't think Kodi can do resolution switching on AFTV2. The others listed will do. It all started with MrMC.
Hello all,
if you have read my comments earlier on this thread, you might be interesting to know few things of my short (so far) experience.
I finally bought Wetek play2 and here are my boot times
33sec for booting WEOS (with no dual boot present)
41sec for booting KODI autostart from WEOS (with no dual boot present)
38sec for booting WePLayer autostart from WEOS (with no dual boot present)
38sec for booting WEOS (with dual boot present)
46sec for booting KODI autostart from WEOS (with dual boot present)
45sec for booting WePLayer autostart from WEOS (with dual boot present)
44sec for booting KODI from LibreELEC (with dual boot present) using an old micro SD HC card class 4
37sec for booting KODI from LibreELEC (with dual boot present) using a micro SD XC card class 10 UHS-I U1
25sec for booting KODI from LibreELEC (with dual boot present) using a Sandisk micro SD XC1 Extreme Plus 32GB class 10 UHS-I U3 V30 (95/90Mb/s Read/write)
I believe a worth mentioning time saving is to install libreELEC on wetek's ram but this makes me loose my warranty and also the money spent for having wetek as firmware developers.
To be honest when i was searching for a TV box i did not have a clear understanding of where KODI capabilities end so i thought why not having android as well. Not that i got the whole picture better, if i could buy again i would definetly go with wrxtasy suggestion to me ODROID C2.
I will also like to mention here sth that i discovered after buying Play2.
The machine does not have a battery for keeping time or other relevant information. This means that each time i boot, i get a 2:00 1/1/2015 which goes away to current date and time approximately 25 sec after i boot in WEOS due to automated time selected. This extra sec can be reduced to 5 sec if i load kodi or Weplay. But if i try to load youtube app (before the 25 sec mentioned above) i get a message to go to date and time settings. Also the connection to my NAS does not work until the time is set right. I also have to say that when booting with LibreELEC the time gets normal instantly with the boot.
(2017-02-25, 23:47)viz55 Wrote: .
To be honest when i was searching for a TV box i did not have a clear understanding of where KODI capabilities end so i thought why not having android as well. Not that i got the whole picture better, if i could buy again i would definetly go with wrxtasy suggestion to me ODROID C2.

When I first read about the Wetek Play2 I honestly thought it would replace our Chromebox and Roku . It sure seemed like it had everything I needed, Netflix, Amazon prime, Kodi etc. - I thought it would be a plug and play, easy to use as well as little maintenance. The reviews were great and the website made it sound great. In reality, the Play2 running LibreElec box it is OK, not so much the android side. We still use the Chromebox every day, it just works better for us. However, I am optimistic again, learning Wetek eliminated (fired-demoted?) the customer support representative in USA, now I believe the concerns USA customers have are actually being addressed.
(2017-02-25, 23:47)viz55 Wrote: Hello all,
if you have read my comments earlier on this thread, you might be interesting to know few things of my short (so far) experience.
I finally bought Wetek play2 and here are my boot times
33sec for booting WEOS (with no dual boot present)
41sec for booting KODI autostart from WEOS (with no dual boot present)
38sec for booting WePLayer autostart from WEOS (with no dual boot present)
38sec for booting WEOS (with dual boot present)
46sec for booting KODI autostart from WEOS (with dual boot present)
45sec for booting WePLayer autostart from WEOS (with dual boot present)
44sec for booting KODI from LibreELEC (with dual boot present) using an old micro SD HC card class 4
37sec for booting KODI from LibreELEC (with dual boot present) using a newer micro SD XC card class 10 UHS-I U1
I will try a U3 card as well.I believe a worth mentioning time saving is to install libreELEC on wetek's ram but this makes me loose my warranty and also the money spent for having wetek as firmware developers.

Lovingly strokes his C2, with its sub 10 seconds boot time using a eMMC card and LibreELEC Big Grin
I'm getting 9 seconds boot - get your stopwatch calibrated @Vimes ! Tongue

Its a time warp thingy due to a tachyon displacement field for those who live in the Northern hemisphere, it equates to 8.5sec for you people down under, so yours is kinda sucky. :p

But we need to give the guy a break, it was bad enough to humble him by me posting in double figures...! Big Grin
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28