• 90(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-02-26, 14:16)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm getting 9 seconds boot - get your stopwatch calibrated @Vimes ! Tongue

That's why he stated *sub* Big Grin

I only wish my TV booted just as fast as my C2 does. Alas... one can not influence TP Vision / Philips Undecided

Greetz,

_J@n_
MiBox running KODI app (latest)
Synology DS215+ - 8+6 TB | Synology DS211 - 4+4 TB - No RAID | Homebrew server Ubuntu server - 10 TB - LVM | Ubuntu Server 18.04.01 -10 TB - RAID5
Philips 50PFK5300 | Sony HT-XT100 Soundplate
Scanning my media with MediaElch
(2017-02-24, 16:15)gsmtech Wrote:
(2017-02-23, 19:07)domov2 Wrote:
(2017-02-23, 18:48)gsmtech Wrote: The box you've linked looks like it is a Mini M8S II which has been rebranded , in terms of hardware it's a good fast box I own the same device (standard Mini M8S II), there is a very good custom android ROM available for this device on Freaktab called Xannytech XT Rom. It also runs LibreElec very well the EMMC on this box is faster than my MiniMX v1. Only single band WiFi though (2.4ghz only) and 100 meg Ethernet (not Gig).

Still if your using wired Ethernet, and your not playing the highest bitrate 4K videos, you wont have any issues from the WiFi or 100 meg Ethernet. The majority of people will have no issues. it's a very nice little box for LibreElec. Thee stock android build is pretty crappy, but easily replaceable with Xannytech XT ROM which is miles better. being a S905X device you have VP9 and HDR support too so there's some future proofing in comparison to S905 which doesn't support VP9 or HDR.

Thanks for the response. Once it arrives, from my understanding i need to add the Xannytech XT ROM and add LibreElec. Is this correct? Is there anything else I need to do before I add kodi?

You can just install Kodi directly from the google play store if you wish, (install SPMC instead it's optimized for Android). But for the best Kodi experience with the bugs fixed like automatic refresh rate, audio passthrough etc...you need LibreElec.
The XannyTech XT ROM was mentioned as it's much better and faster than the stock android ROM, but you dont have to install it, if you all want is Kodi

I installed LibreElec from my USB device. It appeaers as if i need to have the USB device connected at all times in order to run it with LibreElec installed. Is this correct?
Please ask this question for LibreELEC Software support over in the appropriate LibreELEC forums where such info is likely already available.

This is a Hardware thread. I'm not about to let it be turned into a AMLogic & LibreELEC Software support thread

Thanks
(2017-02-26, 12:00)Vimes Wrote:
(2017-02-25, 23:47)viz55 Wrote: Hello all,
if you have read my comments earlier on this thread, you might be interesting to know few things of my short (so far) experience.
I finally bought Wetek play2 and here are my boot times
33sec for booting WEOS (with no dual boot present)
41sec for booting KODI autostart from WEOS (with no dual boot present)
38sec for booting WePLayer autostart from WEOS (with no dual boot present)
38sec for booting WEOS (with dual boot present)
46sec for booting KODI autostart from WEOS (with dual boot present)
45sec for booting WePLayer autostart from WEOS (with dual boot present)
44sec for booting KODI from LibreELEC (with dual boot present) using an old micro SD HC card class 4
37sec for booting KODI from LibreELEC (with dual boot present) using a newer micro SD XC card class 10 UHS-I U1
I will try a U3 card as well.I believe a worth mentioning time saving is to install libreELEC on wetek's ram but this makes me loose my warranty and also the money spent for having wetek as firmware developers.
To be honest when i was searching for a TV box i did not have a clear understanding of where KODI capabilities end so i thought why not having android as well. Not that i got the whole picture better, if i could buy again i would definetly go with wrxtasy suggestion to me ODROID C2.

Lovingly strokes his C2, with its sub 10 seconds boot time using a eMMC card and LibreELEC Big Grin

" I believe a worth mentioning time saving is to install libreELEC on wetek's ram but this makes me loose my warranty and also the money spent for having wetek as firmware developers. "

Really ?? So if you install LibreElec to NAND on a Wetek device you void your warranty ? Doesn't sound right to me... So if you have a hardware issue you wont be covered by warranty because you installed LibreElec to NAND ?

Fair enough I understand why software support will no longer be relevant if you have your own OS on the device, but your warranty should still be intact. Like most laptop or desktop computers for example if you buy a machine with a Windows OS and decide to get rid of windows and install another flavour of OS say,...Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora etc etc... You dont void your warranty, your still covered for hardware faults.
(2017-02-28, 13:14)gsmtech Wrote: Really ?? So if you install LibreElec to NAND on a Wetek device you void your warranty ? Doesn't sound right to me... So if you have a hardware issue you wont be covered by warranty because you installed LibreElec to NAND ?

Fair enough I understand why software support will no longer be relevant if you have your own OS on the device, but your warranty should still be intact. Like most laptop or desktop computers for example if you buy a machine with a Windows OS and decide to get rid of windows and install another flavour of OS say,...Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora etc etc... You dont void your warranty, your still covered for hardware faults.

It seems to me as long as you can get Android back on the Play 2 you should be OK with installing LibreElec on NAND, I leave our Play 2 running LibreElec on all the time, long boot up times are not an issue and I do not think it uses a lot of electricity when it's idle. I never needed/used warranty on any desktop computer I purchased, but thought they had a similar requirement that you must have the original operating system installed for warranty work.

from WeTek support forms :

"To start, you are installing in on NAND.
This will void the warranty. So what i recommend is to put Android OS again on NAND"

http://www.wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p...ion-failed
I'm trying to decide between the MINIX Neo Z83-4 or the MINIX Neo U1 or the Himedia Q5 pro. This will be the box running my 7.2 home theater.

Which box will suite my needs the best or is there one I'm missing that's under $200?
I'm new to Android and Kodi. I did try searching as much as I could to find my answer before posting. I seemed to find only old discussion which may be a good thing.

I'm interested in buying a second gen Amazon Fire Stick as an inexpensive introduction to Android hardware or use with current v17 Kodi.

I'm specifically interested in support for playing native Microsoft Windows Media Center .wtv files which I believe are basically mpeg audio/video files in a proprietary wrapper but that's about all I know.

Can I expect they will play in the aforementioned environment without transcoding?

I completely understand the Fire Stick is lowest common denominator hardware and plan to buy an Nvidia Shield for serious work but want something cheap for a downstairs 27" TV that will primarily be used as a client for .wtv playback.

Thanks!
(2017-02-28, 23:27)LeftHandy Wrote: I'm trying to decide between the MINIX Neo Z83-4 or the MINIX Neo U1 or the Himedia Q5 pro. This will be the box running my 7.2 home theater.

Which box will suite my needs the best or is there one I'm missing that's under $200?

A big drawback with the premium priced Minix is that you will not get OS upgrades, shame on them as they are still selling the unsupported X8h plus at full price and it can't run the new version of Kodi v17 :-(

This box get lots of votes, OS upgrades and is just in your budget, you may be able to find it cheaper:-

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-TV-...ing+Device
From everything I've read the Shield does not do a good job with passthrough of hi end audio.
Other comments welcome!
(2017-03-01, 22:33)LeftHandy Wrote: From everything I've read the Shield does not do a good job with passthrough of hi end audio.
Other comments welcome!

Unfortunately I don't have one as I purchased a Minix, I would not do that now knowing that Minix do not do OS upgrades.

This is a claim for audio:-

"The Shield TV features can also work with TV tuners and DVR players. Pass-through support for high-end audio formats by Dolby and DTS is also on board. Of course, being an Android TV device, the Shield TV also comes with built-in 4K Chromecast."

http://www.bestproducts.com/tech/electro...ox-review/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1NT9Y6
Dolby and DTS are not the high end audio formats that people seek.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
After reading the 1st post I still dont know which box should I get. I was gonna buy the "WeTek Hub" but thats mainly in Europe. So I will like to some point me to a box like the WeTek so I can go head and buy it in the United States and do some light DIY.

A link to amazon, ebay, etc will help a lot.

No into Xiaomi Mi Box from walmart.

After reading the first post I still dont get all this boxes RPi3, ODROID C2, ASUS Chromebox, Intel Hardware, cheap AMLogic S905 devices... Try to google and buy it but no go. Thank you
(2017-03-02, 22:25)tuchinitomiguel Wrote: After reading the first post I still dont get all this boxes RPi3, ODROID C2, ASUS Chromebox, Intel Hardware, cheap AMLogic S905 devices... Try to google and buy it but no go. Thank you

googling 'Asus Chromebox' yields links to buy from Amazon and Newegg in the top 5 results - not sure what you're doing to not find purchase links

that said, you can certainly find a Chromebox cheaper than that, but they're not hard to buy by any means
It all depends on what you need. If you do not use or you think you will not need HD or 4K resolution in streaming devices, then you can go with one of S905X boxes with Android or with the oDroid C2.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
  • 90(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28