• 91(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
But who doesn't use HD these days... I have a S905 box and it is very bad with audio.
Dear Experts on the forum, I have racked my brains.. Read as much I could... But in the end still a bit confused. I have a Sony KDL - 42W900B (3D 1080P Led Smart tv). I have a Yamaha Yht - 196 AVR system. Some latest formats of dolby and dth are not supported by my TV. Some files have very low volume. All my files play in PCM and AVR does not display Dolby or DTS. I need ur suggestion to buy a media box. The AV shop suggested that I need a box with optical out to play media which my AVR does not support. He was suggesting the xtreamer mxv. I have been reading about Himedia Q10 / Minix U1 / Zidoo X9 / Wetek Play 2... I will have to buy it from outside India. But the am really confused as to what would suit my needs. MI and Nvidia Shield don't have digital out from what I have read or seen. There are so many mini m3 / X96 / A96 and similar but I don't know if they are the right boxes to buy considering the posts on the forum despite fancy configuration.
Please suggest the right box to buy which shall support maximum formats smoothly. Streaming is not a prime concern now... But might be helpful in the future.
I would like to thanks wrxtasy and gsmtech for their advice, on the box suggestions. After a few hours settings the box up, I now have kodi running in pure ebast mode doing exactly what I need it to do. I think the add-ons for the box have also helped. Top Guys!
Glad it all worked out. With a little bit of DIY, following a few pretty easy instructions. You now have a nice Kodi media player. Smile

(2017-03-03, 19:40)Sazkilla Wrote: Dear Experts on the forum, I have racked my brains.. Read as much I could... But in the end still a bit confused. I have a Sony KDL - 42W900B (3D 1080P Led Smart tv).
I have a Yamaha Yht - 196 AVR system. Some latest formats of dolby and dts are not supported by my TV. Some files have very low volume. All my files play in PCM and AVR does not display Dolby or DTS.

Q. Are you connecting the AVR's HDMI OUT to a HDMI IN on the Sony TV at the moment ?

And connecting whatever media player you are using directly to the AVR's HDMI Inputs ?

You can listen to the TV's Audio if you connect an Optical Cable from the TV to the AVR.
However if you use the HDMI (ARC) input on your TV and configure the AVR for HDMI ARC, then a Optical cable will not even be necessary. Audio from the TV will be sent back to the AVR over the HDMI (ARC) connection.

Suggested Setup would be:

Media player (HDMI) > AVR HDMI Input > HDMI Output <---> HDMI (ARC) input on TV.

Manual here:
https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download..._UCABG.pdf

That would be the preferred setup because you can the connect any HDMI capable media player to the AVR then.

Like everyone else just buy an AMLogic S905(x) box and a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10 UHS-1 micro SDHC card.
And then flash LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on to the SD card, there are plenty of S905 boxes to choose from.
This will give you the best bang for the Buck at the moment, and will play anything you want to throw at it.

There are plenty of happy Kodi users that have now gone down this path Smile

Do not buy an AMLogic S912 if you want a bug free device & one that runs smoothly.

(2017-03-03, 15:54)LeftHandy Wrote: But who doesn't use HD these days... I have a S905 box and it is very bad with audio.
On Android?
On libreelec?
On both?
(2017-03-03, 15:54)LeftHandy Wrote: But who doesn't use HD these days... I have a S905 box and it is very bad with audio.
The only AMLogic Android devices that are going to give you HD Audio from Kodi Krypton are the Xiaomi Mi Box and the new MINIX U9.
This is because those two boxes (along with the nVIDIA Shield) have the required IEC Audio code - Kodi Krypton needs in their Firmware.

You need to use LibreELEC Kodi - like everyone else if you want HD Audio from any other cheap AML S905(x) box.

I really don't know why people are expecting Miracles from these cheap AML Android boxes when they want to use high end Kodi A/V functionality.
Users are dreaming if they think Kodi is going to work properly on cheap unsupported Android devices.

(2017-03-04, 13:59)wrxtasy Wrote:
The only AMLogic Android devices that are going to give you HD Audio from Kodi Krypton are the Xiaomi Mi Box and the new MINIX U9.
This is because those two boxes (along with the nVIDIA Shield) have the required IEC Audio code - Kodi Krypton needs in their Firmware.

You need to use LibreELEC Kodi - like everyone else if you want HD Audio from any other cheap AML S905(x) box.

I really don't know why people are expecting Miracles from these cheap AML Android boxes when they want to use high end Kodi A/V functionality.
Users are dreaming if they think Kodi is going to work properly on cheap unsupported Android devices.

I'm sure my wetek play 2 has HD audio in KODI 17 I normally use spmc but when I tried 17 I'm sure it worked
(2017-03-03, 19:40)Sazkilla Wrote: Dear Experts on the forum, I have racked my brains.. Read as much I could... But in the end still a bit confused. I have a Sony KDL - 42W900B (3D 1080P Led Smart tv).
I have a Yamaha Yht - 196 AVR system. Some latest formats of dolby and dts are not supported by my TV. Some files have very low volume. All my files play in PCM and AVR does not display Dolby or DTS.

Q. Are you connecting the AVR's HDMI OUT to a HDMI IN on the Sony TV at the moment ?

And connecting whatever media player you are using directly to the AVR's HDMI Inputs ?

You can listen to the TV's Audio if you connect an Optical Cable from the TV to the AVR.
However if you use the HDMI (ARC) input on your TV and configure the AVR for HDMI ARC, then a Optical cable will not even be necessary. Audio from the TV will be sent back to the AVR over the HDMI (ARC) connection.

Suggested Setup would be:

Media player (HDMI) > AVR HDMI Input > HDMI Output <---> HDMI (ARC) input on TV.

Manual here:
https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download..._UCABG.pdf

That would be the preferred setup because you can the connect any HDMI capable media player to the AVR then.

Like everyone else just buy an AMLogic S905(x) box and a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10 UHS-1 micro SDHC card.
And then flash LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on to the SD card, there are plenty of S905 boxes to choose from.
This will give you the best bang for the Buck at the moment, and will play anything you want to throw at it.

There are plenty of happy Kodi users that have now gone down this path Smile

Do not buy an AMLogic S912 if you want a bug free device & one that runs smoothly.
[/quote]

Dear Wrxtasy, thanks for helping out. I will check the HDMI ARC connection option. Currently using the audio out option. Would also request your suggestions on brands which i could trust. Lots of boxes in various price ranges. In another comment, you have mentioned Minix U1 but isnt it a AMlogic S912 model which you have suggested to steer clear of?
I am surprised the AV shop guy didnt suggest the HDMI DRC option.
I dont have any media player at the moment. Watching content by using the pen drive directly from the TV.
Himedia Q10 Pro, Nvidia Shield, Wetek Play 2 and Zidoo X9 are on the costlier side. Minix Neo 1 is slightly cheaper. MI Box seems the cheapest. Then there a host of brands which are of chinese make (AMlogic S905X) that are way cheaper.
Beelink mxiii ii / zidoo a5s both have 2 gb ram, s905x and similar features. They seem to be very economical especially the beelink. For me audio and video support is critical.
Request your advice.
Hello,
Despite all my readings in this forum thread, I am forced to ask for help or guidance for my future new TV box.
Nowadays I have a Xtreamer MK1, very old, with about 8/9 years. It was very nice, considering the alternatives at that time. But, now I want to upgrade to a new one, with much more capacitie, and with a better interface for all my movies database.
I am looking for something that:

1) Provides excellent hardware capacity for playing all the new container formats that are appearing, as well new codes, like h265, etc.
2) Also has Android capabilities, so that my kids can enjoy games, YouTube, etc. Thus, it should also allow to interface with Bluetooth gamepads, for example.
3) Switching between Android and Kodi or Libreelec should be easy.
4) I do not have a 4K TV, but it is definitely in my plans to buy one in a short time. So, it must have this capability.
5) It must have wifi capacity or gigabit lan port. Also, USB connectivity.
6) I plan on buying a NAS for all my multimedia collection.
7) A nice wifi air mouse and remote is also needed.
8) I have a nice hi-fi amplifier, that I use when watching movies.

I’m not a computer expert, but I am very good with computers and all interested in learning. So, installing rows and libreelect, for example, is no trouble for me.
Nevertheless, there are some terms I’m not familiar, that I read in the forum. So, if for proper guidance, it is necessary to answer specific questions, please, fell free to post them as needed.
From the thread, I think that Wetek play 2 might be OK, but something is telling me that there might be better options.
Sorry, for all this long text, but probably, this compilation of characteristics might be of interest for a lot of other readers.
Thanks in advance for all the guidance.
I can't wait for reaching a decision and go to buy the equipment!
(2017-03-05, 16:54)Sazkilla Wrote: Mi Box seems the cheapest. Then there a host of brands which are of Chinese make (AMlogic S905X) that are way cheaper.
Beelink mxiii ii / zidoo a5s both have 2 gb ram, s905x and similar features. They seem to be very economical especially the Beelink. For me audio and video support is critical.
Request your advice.
If you want a nice budget Android TV OS device with a kick ass wireless remote that is real easy for to use with Android TV Apps, then get a Mi Box. Downside are there is no Kodi dynamic refresh switching and Android Kodi on it will not be as good as running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on a AMLogic S905 box.

For AML S905 boxes running LibreELEC Kodi, have a look over in this thread and follow the links to see what the guys are using.
That combo will give you the best bang for the buck Kodi only media player, especially if you install LibreELEC Kodi to internal eMMC storage.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2533774

Devices like the AML S905 WeTek Hub and ODROID C2 are the easiest to get up and going for LibreELEC. They are also LibreELEC officially supported platforms that will do nice things like Autoupdate.

(2017-03-06, 03:05)jonascotch Wrote: 1) Provides excellent hardware capacity for playing all the new container formats that are appearing, as well new codes, like h265, etc.
2) Also has Android capabilities, so that my kids can enjoy games, YouTube, etc. Thus, it should also allow to interface with Bluetooth gamepads, for example.
3) Switching between Android and Kodi or Libreelec should be easy.
4) I do not have a 4K TV, but it is definitely in my plans to buy one in a short time. So, it must have this capability.
5) It must have wifi capacity or gigabit lan port. Also, USB connectivity.
6) I plan on buying a NAS for all my multimedia collection.
7) A nice wifi air mouse and remote is also needed.
8) I have a nice hi-fi amplifier, that I use when watching movies.

The nVIDIA Shield comes the closest to an all in one Android / Games / Kodi media player. It is the superior Android platform without doubt. Far more powerful than anything else and giving Intel NUC's a very good run for their money.

Plus it already comes with a Wireless remote and games controller and everything you need.
You don't need to use those painful, non user, friendly Air Mice on Android TV OS platforms unless you are using Legacy touchscreen Apps that require it. I think there is a way to turn the Shield's wireless games controller into an Air Mouse anyway.

The WeTek Play2 will give you Android / LibreELEC Kodi in an easy dual boot setup. BUT:
I Hope WeTek read this

- There are no Wireless controllers / remotes included or even officially available that interface properly with the Play2.
- The main Graphic User interface is now - far too complicated for its own good with even the Google Playstore, now buried so deep I cannot even find it !
- The WeTV App itself is not that user friendly at all and still buggy. I still cannot get an Auto 7 day EPG as I would see when using TvHeadend.
- WeTek have actually pulled out functionality from what was a decent Android hacker box by removing the FTP & Telnet servers with recent Firmware. They have not provided replacements. :-(

Honestly I think WeTek have actually gone backwards with Android on their hardware platforms lately so far as user friendliness is concerned. An official WeTek Wireless Air mouse remote seems way way overdue. (MINIX had this Wireless remote business sorted out years ago !)

The one redeeming feature is the ability to use LibreELEC Kodi on the Play2 which will be superior vs using Kodi on any (non HDR) Android platform. You can reflash WeTek's Android with an unofficial Android TV ROM (Lollipop) to make life easier - but it will still not be as good as the far more powerful nVIDIA Shield running the official Android TV OS on Android Nougat.

For me personally, Simple easy to use graphic user interfaces combined with responsive Wireless remote controls are the way forward in the year 2017. Make it too complicated and I'm no longer interested. I would say its why I like the no nonsense LibreELEC Kodi devices so much. There is nothing to get in the way of actually using Kodi - out of the box.
I do like the Android TV OS interface for mainstream very easy to use Android Apps only use as well. Voice search on these ATV OS devices is really nice. The Mi Box's Wireless remote for example I believe would be the best, easiest to use Voice remote on the market. It really is excellent.

Thanks wrxtasy.
In fact, I agree that the shield is a nice machine. But, that comes with a price.
In your opinion, what comes in second place? Considering a lower budget what would you suggest? I also considered the Zidoo x8.
Considering the Shield, should I install in it a custom rom, libreelect, etc? Probably, there is somewhere an excellent guide on this, but my young kids do not let me with enough time for searching.
I consulted the price of Shield, and I was surprised.
As soon as you mentioned Kids - for ease of use it has to be a device running Android TV - that is a LOT easier to use than the touchscreen tablet OS based regular Android devices.

Juts get a $69 Mi Box, it will give you HD Audio and satisfy most of your needs.

Then if you want a BT games controller, have a look at this list....
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comme...th_mi_box/

Your Kids will love playing around with Voice search on Android TV - no need for painful Air Mice control either. Android TV is a lot more user friendly.

You need to buy a seperate dirt cheap box AML S905 budget box if you want LibreELEC. This will give you the best of both worlds.

Hi

Did anyone heard about this box ?
http://www.smarthomy.com/en/
Yep... http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=303676
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
  • 91(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28