• 92(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hm, looks like this could become an alternative to Wetek Play (2 / 2S), doesn't it? If we consider the devices with DVB Tuners, I mean. Looking at the direction Wetek and their devices are going, an alternative certainly wouldn't be bad.
(2017-03-08, 11:12)shad Wrote: Hm, looks like this could become an alternative to Wetek Play (2 / 2S), doesn't it? If we consider the devices with DVB Tuners, I mean. Looking at the direction Wetek and their devices are going, an alternative certainly wouldn't be bad.

If the smarthomy will be ever released, since the crowdfunding campaign has not received it's target.
So it's actually box on paper ?
(2017-03-09, 17:54)AnalyzeQ Wrote: So it's actually box on paper ?

Something like that I would say.
Someone may correct me, if he has a physical box in his hands already.
(2017-03-04, 13:59)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-03-03, 15:54)LeftHandy Wrote: But who doesn't use HD these days... I have a S905 box and it is very bad with audio.
The only AMLogic Android devices that are going to give you HD Audio from Kodi Krypton are the Xiaomi Mi Box and the new MINIX U9.
This is because those two boxes (along with the nVIDIA Shield) have the required IEC Audio code - Kodi Krypton needs in their Firmware.

You need to use LibreELEC Kodi - like everyone else if you want HD Audio from any other cheap AML S905(x) box.

I really don't know why people are expecting Miracles from these cheap AML Android boxes when they want to use high end Kodi A/V functionality.
Users are dreaming if they think Kodi is going to work properly on cheap unsupported Android devices.

The U9-H has a S912 Processor, so why would you say that model and then say DO NOT buy a S912?
Key words for any Android Kodi device -

Firmware and

Supported

99% of AMLogic Android S912 devices comes with Unsupported Firmware

Sold by "Ship and Forget" sellers containing AMLogic test versions of Firmware that should never have seen the light of day.
Those AMLogic S912 - devices are rushed to market, with all sorts of Fancy promises and "WoW" Tech specs. All designed to fool unsuspecting Newbs into thinking they are buying a bargain basement Kodi device that will actually work properly.

That is why you see all these dirt cheap Android Kodi devices sold as 'Fully Loaded" - its all designed to hoodwink Newbs and disguise the shitty Firmware lurking underneath.

In that land of Broken promises lies many an Android dead carcass. DIY Android users then end up frequenting the Freaktab Website, trying to pick up the broken pieces or tossing the device away.

From a Kodi Hardware and Software support perspective we want nothing to do with such shitty Firmware devices.

The MINIX S912 U9-H is a Firmware Supported Android Kodi device. Ultimately that is what you are paying extra money for. Initially the quality of the Firmware and then ongoing after sales Firmware support.

Hi everyone, please if someone could help. Apologies if this has been answered before. I have been regularly using KODI on my Mac but I have just got a Panasonic SMART TV, actually it aint that SMART. So I get it that in order to get the Kodi running I would need to buy a Box. The TV is 4K and has a decent Sound bar with it. Its DX802B from Pana. Please if somebody could recommend a decent Kodi box to work well with this TV. I live in the UK so a regional model recommendation would be appreciated a lot.

Thanks for the help

H
Android TV with easy to use Android Apps, Wireless remotes & Kodi:

- nVIDIA Shield
- Xiaomi Mi Box

Kodi only - best bang for the buck:

- any AMLogic S905 or S905x device you want running LibreELEC Kodi. Smile

(2017-03-11, 17:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Android TV with easy to use Android Apps, Wireless remotes & Kodi:

- nVIDIA Shield
- Xiaomi Mi Box

Kodi only - best bang for the buck:

- any AMLogic S905 or S905x device you want running LibreELEC Kodi. Smile

Hi,
But, does Nvidia Shield or Xiaomi Mi Box needs any installation of custom firmware, to get kodi on?
I have the impression that Android apps to serve as media database and multimedia player are to be avoided at all. I think the best is to be able to run kodi or Libreelec as a SO alone and dedicated. Is this possible with Nvidia Shield or Xiaomi Mi box? Does these allow a dual boot feature?
If you need to view properly encoded 4K HDR content your only option is the nVIDIA Shield as it can access 4K HDR from Netflix and Amazon services.
It will run Kodi Krypton or SPMC (Kodi Jarvis) once you download them.

But there is this 4K Android OS problem:

The 480/576/720/1080p > 2160p(4K) Android Upscaling issue

There are now numerous reports of Soft Picture output from Android media players when Android Resolution settings are set to 4K and 480/576/720/1080p content is viewed from Kodi Krypton and various Android Apps.
Kodi Media Player - Hardware Upscaling of 480/576/720/1080p > 2160p video is simply not as good compared to using the superior quality upscaling hardware in modern 4K TV's.

The problem is 99% of Android media players (excluding the FireTV2) cannot dynamically switch Resolutions on the fly. Ideally you want the media player to switch to 4K when playing back 4K video content only and let the TV upscale all the rest of the video content.

For Kodi Krypton use only - the solution to this is to use LibreELEC Kodi on an AMLogic S905 where both dynamic Refresh Switching AND Resolution switching work seamlessly.

There is no LibreELEC on the Mi Box or the Shield at all.
Decent 4K media players with Official Support from LibreELEC are the AMLogic S905 - ODROID C2 or WeTek Hub / Play2.
Otherwise get any old AMLogic S905(x) box that will partially handle 4K HDR content as well.

I'm not sure how mature LibreELEC is on the 4K capable "Lake" series Intel Hardware. I believe there are issues at the moment.

NOTE: SPMC (Kodi Jarvis fork/version) on the nVIDIA Shield can use the Lancos3-Optimised upscaling method to produce decent video quality results at a 4K resolution. This is the SPMC App only. There is no Lancos3-Optimised when using Kodi Krypton or any other Android Apps.

What about a NAS alternative like Synology ts216play or ts216+II? These apparently play at 4k.
(2015-12-21, 14:51)dukester Wrote: hardly able to consider the minix and wetek "cost effective" amlogic devices considering they sell for 3 times the price of most amlogic devices.
You get what you paid.
Hello!

Read the guide but I still can't decide. I have a Asrock 330 today and I want to upgrade, I want a faster device with h265 native support (The current CPU isn't enough). What are my best bet?

Thank you for any advice!
Start back at post 1.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have read the guide (Post 1) but I still can't decide. It's not a easy call.
  • 92(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28