• 94(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Can anyone give me some advice please. I have just bought this box, T95Z Plus, connected it up but it will not find my wi-fi keeps turning the wi-fi button on and off whilst it is searching.
Please any suggestions most welcome.
Regards,
Pete
(2017-03-17, 12:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Without trying to sound to Bias - the reference AML S905 Hardware LibreELEC development device - the ODROID C2 gets best bits. Particularly when it comes to HDMI-CEC OFF / ON control. Because from a developer perspective we get to mod. its U-Boot - open sourced code.
Plus we get to Overclock its CPU/RAM Safely. Only S905 device that has been tested properly that we can do this Safely too. Dirty great big heatsinks help !

The S905 MINIX NEO U1 will come with great (now mature) AML Android Lollipop Firmware for Kodi Jarvis usage, all in a quality Hardware package. Far far better MIMO AC WiFi than generic AML S905(x) boxes.
Unsure how well it runs when using Android Kodi Krypton. But having said that it's AML S905 will also run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton nicely indeed from a SD card - so you have flexibility and a fallback option there. ;-)

@LauraS, S905's come with GigaE Ethernet - S905x's - 100Megabit only which is still fine for 4K streaming. S905x can do 10bit HDR video output - not much HDR content about tho. I don't consider HDR that important just yet.
As I said easiest to use remotes make a big difference to non tech users.
Hi wrxtasy

Thanks for the info,but s905 u1will have 3d playback support? and it doesn't support dts sound and can we reproduce the sound with mx pro by using custom codec?

Sent from my SM-N9208
(2017-03-17, 12:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Without trying to sound to Bias - the reference AML S905 Hardware LibreELEC development device - the ODROID C2 gets best bits. Particularly when it comes to HDMI-CEC OFF / ON control. Because from a developer perspective we get to mod. its U-Boot - open sourced code.
Plus we get to Overclock its CPU/RAM Safely. Only S905 device that has been tested properly that we can do this Safely too. Dirty great big heatsinks help !

The S905 MINIX NEO U1 will come with great (now mature) AML Android Lollipop Firmware for Kodi Jarvis usage, all in a quality Hardware package. Far far better MIMO AC WiFi than generic AML S905(x) boxes.
Unsure how well it runs when using Android Kodi Krypton. But having said that it's AML S905 will also run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton nicely indeed from a SD card - so you have flexibility and a fallback option there. ;-)

@LauraS, S905's come with GigaE Ethernet - S905x's - 100Megabit only which is still fine for 4K streaming. S905x can do 10bit HDR video output - not much HDR content about tho. I don't consider HDR that important just yet.
As I said easiest to use remotes make a big difference to non tech users.

Thank you, just the two indicated are 100 MBPS
(2017-03-17, 00:14)kwest12 Wrote: Thanks for the detailed response, @feerlessleadr. I'd say it sounds like you're pretty much an expert at this point tbh.

If you were able to get the custom HTPCs running LibreELEC to work nearly as seamlessly as the shield, I may at least consider that, and try to set up a machine that will dual boot LibreELEC and windows (just googled it and found this guide, actually: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-15.html)

I've never screwed around with building my own rig or with Linux, but I can read and follow guides well enough that I may give it a shot. I assume the biggest hurdle will probably be figuring out hardware that will work properly together, play nicely with both Widows and Linux/LibreELEC, and will have the proper specs to push the proper resolutions/frame rates for the various apps/programs.

Just writing that is making my head spin a bit, because that does mean a huge amount of time researching and tinkering, but once things are setup, is it pretty much set and forget, or no?

I've always had this idea that I'd like to be able to hookup a desktop rig and use my 65" tv as a monitor, and then use the same rig to watch movies and tv.

Anyway, thanks again.

PS. Can anyone address the content desired section of my write-up? I'm a bit concerned about whether I'll be able to get the live stuff I mentioned.

Honestly, LibreELEC is an excellent option, and the only reason I've moved away from it is because I already had a Shield (purchased to replace my old atom box to play 1080p HEVC content), and had just purchased a new OLED 4k TV, so wanted to take advantage of that with kodi (and for the hardware I already had, only the Shield was capable with enough hardware/software decoding capabilities).

(2017-03-17, 01:53)jonascotch Wrote: [I'm not going to claim to be an expert (far from it), but I've owned the following devices to use for Kodi since 2007/2008 (in order):

- Custom built HTPC with Windows (high end specs for the time)
- Small off-the-shelf ITX computer with Windows (Intel Atom powered)
- 2 rooted FireTV's
- 1 rooted FireStick
- Custom built HTPC with LibreELEC (same computer as above, just ditched Windows for OpenELEC, then LibreELEC)
- Small off-the-shelf ITX computer with LibreELEC (same situation as above)
- Nvidia Shield

I was in a similar situation as you in regards to needing a high WAF, and the only boxes that my wife didn't constantly complain to me about (and subsequently I would need to tinker with) were the boxes with LibreELEC and the Shield. She now uses the Shield on a daily basis without any trouble, and in the rare event that something goes wrong, the interface is simple enough that she can reboot the box herself, and that 99% of the time fixes the problem.

My advice to you would be to stay away from Windows if you don't a) want to tinker and b) want a high WAF.

In regards to which LibreELEC box to get, I couldn't help you with that, but I can't recommend the Shield enough. Works great with my new 4k OLED TV, and have been using it since 2015 with almost 0 problems.
[/color]

Hi, @feerlessleadr

Why you cannot recommend enough the Nvidia Shield?
I also want something simple to mount and enjoy. Nowadays I prefer to buy o good phone with proper support for firmware, rather having to install every time new custom roms with the permissive that a miracle will happen.
But, in my case I am interested in Android and libreelec dual boot. I also tried to find a NAS capable of installing libreelec or kodi, but had no success
[/quote]

See above, either shield or LibreELEC with the right hardware would be perfect. Again, I only went with the Shield since I already owned it, and wanted something to play 4k content, without having to buy new hardware for LibreELEC to properly hardware decode 4k HEVC content.
Not sure why a Shield upgrade was actually required to Hardware decode 4K HEVC content when I've seen Gigabit LibreELEC S905's, with a decent Kodi Video cache, running from eMMC - handle 200Mbps 4K HEVC clips. Virtually double UHD Bluray Bitrates. I suspect 4K HDR had something to do with it.

The easiest Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC devices are the WeTek S905's. You simply hold down the remote power button at Power On / Reboot to flip flop between Android / LibreELEC. Pre release - Android Marshmallow Firmware on the Hub is looking pretty nice now too.

One other thing. Official LibreELEC supported devices the ODROID C2, the WeTek's, RPi's, iMX6 and Intel get Autoupdates downloaded and installed when a user wants them too. It really is very easy to update then. Point and click.

@zameer044, Half Resolution 3D only on AMLogic devices. Proper Full Res. 1080p 3D supported devices listed in Post #1. U1 will do DTS & HD Audio in both Android and LE. Dirt cheap AML S905's - DTS & HD audio when using LE only.

(2017-03-17, 21:05)wrxtasy Wrote: Not sure why a Shield upgrade was actually required to Hardware decode 4K HEVC content when I've seen Gigabit LibreELEC S905's, with a decent Kodi Video cache, running from eMMC - handle 200Mbps 4K HEVC clips. Virtually double UHD Bluray Bitrates. I suspect 4K HDR had something to do with it.

The easiest Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC devices are the WeTek S905's. You simply hold down the remote power button at Power On / Reboot to flip flop between Android / LibreELEC. Pre release - Android Marshmallow Firmware on the Hub is looking pretty nice now too.

One other thing. Official LibreELEC supported devices the ODROID C2, the WeTek's, RPi's, iMX6 and Intel get Autoupdates downloaded and installed when a user wants them too. It really is very easy to update then. Point and click.

@zameer044, Half Resolution 3D only on AMLogic devices. Proper Full Res. 1080p 3D supported devices listed in Post #1. U1 will do DTS & HD Audio in both Android and LE. Dirt cheap AML S905's - DTS & HD audio when using LE only.
Hi Wrxtasy,

Thanks a lot for your reply.I am leaning towards Himedia Q5 pro,as per the reviews it is very good stable and powerful and all rounder multimedia player(3D effects are very good) to handle all types of file format.
I will book it tomorrow and let me know if u want to suggeste something alternative before final book.
The more we will dig and do research,the more confusion due to more options[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

But as your expert in this field,So I am expecting your opinion on this...
And once again thanks a lot for your help[emoji120] [emoji120] [emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N9208
(2017-03-17, 21:05)wrxtasy Wrote: Not sure why a Shield upgrade was actually required to Hardware decode 4K HEVC content when I've seen Gigabit LibreELEC S905's, with a decent Kodi Video cache, running from eMMC - handle 200Mbps 4K HEVC clips. Virtually double UHD Bluray Bitrates. I suspect 4K HDR had something to do with it.

Again, just to be clear, the libreelec box I already owned was not capable of hardware decoding 4k hevc (hdr or no), and since I already owned the shield, there was no reason to buy an s905 device that could do something my shield already did.
(2017-03-17, 12:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Unsure how well it runs when using Android Kodi Krypton. But having said that it's AML S905 will also run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton nicely indeed from a SD card - so you have flexibility and a fallback option there. ;-)

Just to clarify, when you are talking about fallback. Do you mean that if you buy a 905 device with crappy firmware you can still run LibreELEC Krypton?
Yes for AML S905's either from a microSDHC card or you Wipe Android completely and run the LibreELEC OS from Internal eMMC Flash storage. LE will be slightly faster running from eMMC storage.

Its one of the primary reasons why AMLogic S912 boxes are not a good choice at all. 99% have crap Kodi compatible Firmware and there and No stable Linux S912 GPU video drivers to run LibreELEC Kodi with either. So you are stuffed in both usage case scenarios as far as serious, stable Kodi is concerned.

This is one reason why WeTek devices are so easy to use. If you want to use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, just hold down the Remote power button at startup and boot straight into LibreELEC that runs off the SD card. Reboot and repeat the power button holding and you boot back into Android. This is remembered for next time as well.
No need to play with the remote power button all the time unless you want to Flip Flop OS's.
I don't know of anyone else that has made it this simple to use whilst remaining sitting on the couch Smile

(2017-03-17, 13:12)LauraS Wrote: Thank you, just the two indicated are 100 MBPS

Beware your capitalisation.

100MBps = 800Mbps

Capital B = Byte = 8 bits
Lower case b = bit = 1/8th of a Byte

I think you meant 100Mbps, not 100MBps.
(2017-03-17, 21:46)zameer044 Wrote:

Hi Wrxtasy,

Thanks a lot for your reply.I am leaning towards Himedia Q5 pro,as per the reviews it is very good stable and powerful and all rounder multimedia player(3D effects are very good) to handle all types of file format.
I will book it tomorrow and let me know if u want to suggeste something alternative before final book.
The more we will dig and do research,the more confusion due to more options[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

But as your expert in this field,So I am expecting your opinion on this...
And once again thanks a lot for your help[emoji120] [emoji120] [emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N9208 (typie typie)
Hi Wrxtasy

Waiting for your reply to book.
Can u go through my querie please

Sent from my SM-N9208
I'm not the 3D Hardware expert - @hdmkv is.

You really are better off asking over in the 3D Sticky thread

But these are my observations:

- Zidoo X9S looks like its getting better Firmware Support. It supports both 3D ISO's and 3D MVC. (The Q5/10 is missing one of these I believe) And the X9S now also supports full Bluray Menu's as well.
The X9S has no 3D 24p microstutter playback problems like the Q5/10 has always had. This has never been fixed by HiMedia apparently.

- Both the X9S and Q10 don't actually use Kodi to playback content but only use it as as a graphic front end to call on an external video player. The Zidoo X9S does this more seamlessly apparently than the Q5/10 - however using this method looks like it can lead to issues such as Subtitle support and problems with Video Resume playback points.

This is why the much preferred option is to use devices that natively full support 3D Kodi without using this quasi dual Kodi - external player setup. 3D compatible Intel Machines do this. And the RPi's.

- Both X9S and Q5 run a touchscreen Android OS's - an extra Air Mouse will need to be purchased to use regular (non Kodi) touchscreen Android Apps properly. You do not get the very easy to use Android TV OS interface on either device. No 720/1080/4K Netflix, HBO, Amazon etc either.

- 99% of Android Boxes do not support 1080p > 2160p Auto resolution switching like you get with LibreELEC. Upscaling video quality can be a problem.

Personally I'm not a fan of 3D on a small TV screen - home projectors only for the full 3D immersion effect.

The nVIDIA Shield is a better Android Kodi media player if you do not need 3D.

IMHO - Too many sacrifices are made with day to day usability and Android DRM Apps support just to be able to playback 1080p 3D video with various Android 3D media players. It really depends on where individual users priorities lie.

@wrxtasy, you hit the nail(s) on the head with all your your bullets Smile.

@zameer044, I'd say Zidoo X8/X9S/X10 are more 'mature' and versatile for 3D + 4K use than HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro at this point.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2017-03-20, 03:25)hdmkv Wrote: @wrxtasy, you hit the nail(s) on the head with all your your bullets Smile.

@zameer044, I'd say Zidoo X8/X9S/X10 are more 'mature' and versatile for 3D + 4K use than HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro at this point.

Would you agree that the main difference between Wetek Play 2 and Zidoo x9s/x10 is the option to install Libreelec on Wetek, and thus providing Wetek with more capabilities? And for Xiaomi Mi TV I also think there is no support for Libreelec.
Probably I'm wrong, but with Libreelec I think we gain appearance and more control on privacy of our movies database. Thus my quest for an equipment with support for libreelec.
Nvidia Shield is too expensive! Zidoo x10 couldn't know the cost.
Q. Which devices are officially supported by LibreELEC themselves to run Kodi on ?
NOTE: Generic = Intel X86_64 Then you have unofficial support for LibreELEC on AMLogic S8xx and other S905(x) devices. No LibreELEC on the Mi Box or any other Android devices.

Main differences between Zidoo X9S and WeTek Play2:

Zidoo: Full 1080p 3D, HDR, basic HDMI Recording, OpenWRT, AC WiFi, SATA Port, Full Bluray Menus

Play2: DVB for TV, Netflix Approval, Proper DRM certificates for 1080p/4K online streaming services, Ability to run Kodi/SPMC natively vs a Hybrid solution with Zidoo. And the best feature of the lot - easy Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC.

I would take LibreELEC any day of the week over any device running Android for demanding, no nonsense, Kodi Krypton use.

• 94(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28