• 95(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Or, put another way, if you don't need 3D, there are better Android and Linux (LibreELEC) options over Zidoo & HiMedia.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2017-03-20, 03:25)hdmkv Wrote: @wrxtasy, you hit the nail(s) on the head with all your your bullets Smile.

@zameer044, I'd say Zidoo X8/X9S/X10 are more 'mature' and versatile for 3D + 4K use than HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro at this point.
You both @wrxtasy and @hdmkv rocks.thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience on deciding the correct device of our need.

I haven't bought anything and still my investigation is going,after watching good reviews for minix u9,now i am thinking to go for minix for their support for atleast 1 or 2 year after the purchase and waiting for zidoo x9s(daily deal offer in amazon and last time it sold for 112 euros and i missed it grab the offer)and current price is 150 euros.

So my final list is filtered to
Minix u9 with A3 remote
Zidoo x9s
Himedia q5/q10 pro

I will update you guys where i will end up[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] buying

Sent from my SM-N9208
Between Zidoo & HiMedia, just be aware latter renders 23.976 at 24.000 (applies to 3D ISO's only; 2D is okay). So, some microstutters are occasionally noticeable. For 3D, Zidoo is better (proper 23.976, and ISO + MVC MKV support).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Thanks @hdmkv.Got it.but i don't have much of source 3d iso content with me.so that's why i am planning to consider minix u9...but as u suggested in any of three(zidoo x9s,himedia,minix u9) i will buy it any one.
And once again thank you both of for your help...i really appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N9208
If 3D is not the absolutely essentially needed requirement there are better media player options available.

Using a Quasimodo 3D media player - Android touchscreen platform (X9S / Himedia) that only uses Kodi as a frontend to be able to play 1080p 3D content in an external player is fraught with risks regarding proper (legacy) video codec support and day to day useability. Especially if you really want to utilise all of Kodi features without hassles, workarounds or compromises.

If I was a demanding Android and serious Kodi user I would be buying:

a) a nVIDIA Shield because its an easy to use, very powerful Android TV platform - particularity for the popular DRM streaming Apps (Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc). It actually has out of the box support for these. Especially for proper 4K HDR content from Netflix and Amazon. No other Android, external media player platform can stream HDR content from these Apps.
nVIDIA because of the size of the company and the developer resources available will have the best Firmware and Android OS upgrade support. Its already running a decent version of Android Nougat.

If a few touchscreen Android Apps are needed - they can still be Sideloaded on Android TV platforms.

Its no use buying an expensive 4K HDR capable media player if you have very little 4K HDR content to feed into it.

b) a LibreELEC Kodi platform - because refresh switching AND 1080p > 2160p (4K) Resolution switching works seamlessly. Plus on a AML S905 for example - it will handle all (non 3D / non HDR) video codecs you want to throw at it. there will be NO deinterlacing problems either.

You don't have to go back to painful settings re-configuring ALL the time either when viewing 1080p / 2160p content.
A modern 4K TV produces generally better quality 1080p > 2160p upscaling video output as well. Its better running the GUI at a 1080p Resolution on a 4K TV and Resolution switching only when viewing actual 4K content.

Apart from the Amazon FireTV2, there is no Auto 1080p > 2160p (4K) Resolution switching on any Android platform.
(Don't confuse Auto Resolution switching with Auto Refresh switching - these are not the same)

Plus using a dinosaur touchscreen Android OS and an Air mice on any Android platform now in the year 2017 is a Painful way to interact with Android Apps on a TV screen. Don't even try it if you have had a bit to drink. Concentration and steady brain Surgeon co-ordination needed.
It why the Android TV OS interface was invented by Google in the very first place, to get rid of the PITA Air Mouse App nonsense.

Only the nVIDIA Shield and Xiaomi Mi Box use the Android TV OS Graphic User Interface.

Having said that there are some users that simply want the full Google Playstore touchscreen Apps selection available to them and are willing to put up with Air Mice and touchscreen Android OS's to get that full monty selection of Android Apps.

I'm about to do a Xiaomi Mi Box vs MINIX NEO U9-H vs WeTek Hub comparison as all are now running versions of Android Marshmallow Firmware.

(2017-03-22, 03:48)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm about to do a Xiaomi Mi Box vs MINIX NEO U9-H vs WeTek Hub comparison as all are now running versions of Android Marshmallow Firmware.

Good news, do you have a rough idea when you can post this?

It's just the question if I will wait for your comparison, before I place my next order ;-)

Currently I own a Zidoo X8 and my Minix U9-H should arrive end of this week.
The idea is to send them back, within the 30-day return policy from Amazon, if I found some major issues

With the Zidoo I'm not happy with the 23,97 handling (some micro stuttering).
The Minix forum mentioned that there are also issues with the U9, therefore I'm still investigating the market and Wetek seems to be a valid alternative (beside the shield, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to invest so much money for a mediaplayer, without the need for gaming)...

My focus is quite simple:

Must have:
Prio 1.) perfect PQ as possible with auto refresh switching (no micro stuttering, etc.)
Prio 2.) Full DTS-HD Master and DD TrueHD support (pass-through)

nice to have, but no must have:
*) Amazone Prime HD with 5.1/7.1 sound
*) Based on Android (for some nice Apps)

No issue at all:
4K and HDR -> My projector is just HD
Atmos and DTS:X, I have a 7.1 setup, without Atmos,etc.

PS: I'm using a RasPi 2 with LibreElec (switched from OpenElec) for a long time -> I'm happy, but no DTS-HD support ;-(
(2017-03-22, 11:10)heino69 Wrote: Must have:
Prio 1.) perfect PQ as possible with auto refresh switching (no micro stuttering, etc.)
Prio 2.) Full DTS-HD Master and DD TrueHD support (pass-through)

I need the same. Looks like odroid c2 is good. Agree ?
What about odroid xu4?
Currently happy with quality of playback with rpi2. No issues but looking for more powerful.
Unfortunately, the ODROID C2 seems to be out of stock at the moment.
What kodi tv box should I use with my Vizio 55" 1080p Smart TV?
(2017-03-23, 01:50)dlburgess Wrote: What kodi tv box should I use with my Vizio 55" 1080p Smart TV?
Have you read POST 1 from this thread?
(2017-03-23, 01:48)HeresJohnny Wrote: Unfortunately, the ODROID C2 seems to be out of stock at the moment.
EDIT: looks like Hardkernel are ramping up production with at least a 20 day wait time... :-(

Seems to be in stock here: (and has been since mid March I believe)
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/shop/good...hp?lang=en

Other options - the Officially LibreELEC supported WeTek Hub / Play2.
The S905 MINIX NEO U1 or generic clone S905(x) Android Boxes.

And for anyone asking about Hardware options - the very first thing that should be posted is a MAX PRICE willing to be payed.
(Don't get caught up with looking at only Tech Specs - lots of traps there with Android devices)

Well, I would say, €175,- is my limit (that's what I payed for the Minix U9-H)...

One benefit for the Wetek's is the possibility to have dual boot support ("onboard" Android + LibreELEC from SD card), right?

I wasn't quite sure if the Wetek's are able to play HD Master audio, thanks for this acknowledgement!
I assume this is only for running KODI on LibreELEC, not under Android, correct?
The opposite for Amazon prime HD, this will only work on Android, right?

Do you have any preference for the Hub or Play 2?
I think it's just the DVB tuner and 1GB more memory for the Play 2, the rest (and especially the support) should be the same, I assume...
(2017-03-23, 13:37)heino69 Wrote: Well, I would say, €175,- is my limit (that's what I payed for the Minix U9-H)...

One benefit for the Wetek's is the possibility to have dual boot support ("onboard" Android + LibreELEC from SD card), right?

I wasn't quite sure if the Wetek's are able to play HD Master audio, thanks for this acknowledgement!
I assume this is only for running KODI on LibreELEC, not under Android, correct?
The opposite for Amazon prime HD, this will only work on Android, right?

Do you have any preference for the Hub or Play 2?
I think it's just the DVB tuner and 1GB more memory for the Play 2, the rest (and especially the support) should be the same, I assume...

You won't get Amazon Prime HD with WeTek products -> Amazon Fire TV2 (Stick2) or NVIDIA Shield for that one.
Hm, till now I thought that "DRM: Google Widevine, Microsoft Playready, HDCP 2.2", like stated on the Wetek homepage, would be an indication that Prime HD would work...

Thanks for clarification, so I have to eliminate the need for Prime HD from my list, it's not that important for me.
As always refer to Post #1

Q. I need proper 1080p/4K Amazon (Prime) Video streaming, with a DIY sideload of the Kodi App for Amazon Hardware ?
  • Amazon devices - Amazon Stick - Fire TV1 + Fire TV2 (4K)
  • nVIDIA Shield - (HDR Amazon Video)

• 95(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28