• 96(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
OK, sure, now I understand the dependencies for Prime and I decided to forget it...

@wrxtasy
any feedback to my other question from post #1422 please (except Prime HD question)?

THANX
(2017-03-23, 13:37)heino69 Wrote: One benefit for the Wetek's is the possibility to have dual boot support ("onboard" Android + LibreELEC from SD card), right?
Yes - WeTek devices make dual booting a breeze. You simple hold down the Remote control Power button during booting to Flip Flop between Android / LibreELEC.
Other Android LE devices are a bit more complicated - for example if you do not eject the SD card - on powerup (and Android Reboot) - you will always boot into LibreELEC.
Unless you go thru this LE reboot procedure - every time first

WeTek will always remember your last OS boot selection, unless you intervene with the Remote Power button to Flip Flop.

Quote:I wasn't quite sure if the Wetek's are able to play HD Master audio, thanks for this acknowledgement!
I assume this is only for running KODI on LibreELEC, not under Android, correct?
WeTek (and MINIX + Mi Box) S905/S912 devices have HD Audio passthrough working in Kodi Jarvis or Krypton and/or LibreELEC

Quote:Do you have any preference for the Hub or Play 2?
I think it's just the DVB tuner and 1GB more memory for the Play 2, the rest (and especially the support) should be the same, I assume...
If you do not need DVB OTA TV - the Hub - because it is running Android Marshmallow Firmware that allows Android TV OS - 4K Netflix App to work out of the box. Plus MM Firmware is at least 2X quicker than comparable Lollipop. Hub has superior AC WiFi too if you need that.
However Play2 has more USB ports and an Optical port and a better IR remote control.

Personally I don't like IR remotes much anymore. Wireless remotes are far better - like MINIX's A2/A3 Lite.
Its about time WeTek (re-)released their own Wireless integrated remotes. Long overdue. The WeTek Core's, Wireless one was nice and simple

For AMLogic LibreELEC - 1GB or 2GB memory makes no difference at all. LE only needs approx. 250MB to run on. You don't need a massive amount of memory to stream even 4K video.

Is there a way you can use a wireless remote with the Hub or Play 2 with LibreELEC
LG OLED C7, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2 with LibreELEC 8.2.3, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV 4K, NowTV, Airport Extremes
Yes Wireless remote that come with USB Dongles work fine. The MINIX ones use that combo for example, and work with anything.

(2017-03-25, 13:35)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes Wireless remote that come with USB Dongles work fine. The MINIX ones use that combo for example, and work with anything.

Thanks for that, do you know if you can buy the dongles separately so I could use it with a Logitech remote
LG OLED C7, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2 with LibreELEC 8.2.3, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV 4K, NowTV, Airport Extremes
(2017-03-25, 14:28)JohnWB Wrote:
(2017-03-25, 13:35)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes Wireless remote that come with USB Dongles work fine. The MINIX ones use that combo for example, and work with anything.

Thanks for that, do you know if you can buy the dongles separately so I could use it with a Logitech remote

If it's a wireless remote - the chances are the RF protocol will be proprietary, so the Logitech won't speak it?

AIUI with Logitechs you need an IR remote receiver (with the Logitech then emulating a compatible remote - like Windows Media Center etc.) OR a Bluetooth dongle (if you have a Logitech hub - but this won't always give you all the functionality) where the Logitech emulates a keyboard.
Thanks for that.
@wrxtasy
THANX for your answers!

I just finished my tests with the Zidoo X8 and the Minix U9-H and both have some issues, most of them are related to stuttering in 23,97 mode (Android auto sync doesn't work properly with native KODI 17.1, and I don't want to use a special vendor player), therefore I decided to send both back to Amazon and go back to a LibreELEC based solution.

Taking a closer look at the Wetek Play 2 and Hub, I noticed that the Play 2 is equipped with a S905-H revision C, the Hub has a "normal" one.
Is this relevant for the PQ or any other topic?
I've never used used Sync Playback to Display on any AMLogic box, there is no need.
You use Adjust Display refresh rate - Start/Stop for smooth 23.976 / 29.97 and 59.94fps video playback if the the box has Firmware that allows Kodi dynamic refresh switching.

I will warn you now do not expect Top Spec performance from Android - AMLogic Kodi Krypton now that it is using Mediacodec exclusively.

In fact if you are a demanding Kodi user, which includes needing reliable OTA TV deinterlacing I would not use Android Kodi Krypton at all on any device, stick with Kodi Jarvis if possible. SPMC would be the pick of the bunch.

Android v17 Kodi Krypton is what I classify as a transitional release to Kodi v18 Leia - Mediacodec hardware acceleration is not properly bedded in yet on Android devices. Plus you have the new Android Nougat OS added into the mix causing issues on various platforms.

Use Android for what it is good at - Android Apps.

Demanding Kodi users should be using LibreELEC Kodi Krypton or even Windows.

WeTek Hub & Play2 both have a S905-H Rev C SoC. I would be surprised if any AMLogic vendor is not selling S905-H Rev. C SoC's.

I've been reading around the forums and haven't been able to find an answer to my question, so apologies if it's already been asked.

Is there a Kodi/android box that could run Kodi Isengard and the Aeon Madnox skin found here? Ideally with a remote if possible.

I know it's a few revisions old now, but it's for my mother in law, and this is what she's used to. Ideally if there's an android box that can handle it (I have the Isengard APK), that would be preferable, as she would also like access to Netflix (for the grandchildren).

Happy to consider any suggestions, although she doesn't want a NUC.
You want an Android TV Kodi box because:

- really easy to use with a simple Wireless remote
- a nice simple graphic use interface than does not need a PITA Air Mouse
- 1080p Netflix, regular Android boxes will give Max. 480p Netflx only
- grandchildren will have lots of fun with the Voice recognition that Android TV has

Simply get a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box

BTW: it does not matter what Kodi version you use because once you add any Skin you are familiar with they all work virtually the same. I suggest either SPMC (Jarvis) or Krypton

Thanks wrxtasy,

The Xiaomi Mi Box was one I was considering, along with the Minix Neo U1.

Time to make a decision I think.
Be aware NO 1080p HD Netflix with MINIX U1, 480p Max Netflix - but it will give you smoother video playback when using Kodi Jarvis. And LibreELEC Kodi Krypton can be used on it to boot straight into Kodi from a SD card.

Touchscreen Android Apps on U1 touchscreen Android OS will be really difficult to control with an Air Mouse for non-tech Newbs, Parents, In Laws vs Android TV Apps.

(2017-03-28, 02:48)wrxtasy Wrote: You want an Android TV Kodi box because:

- really easy to use with a simple Wireless remote
- a nice simple graphic use interface than does not need a PITA Air Mouse
- 1080p Netflix, regular Android boxes will give Max. 480p Netflx only
- grandchildren will have lots of fun with the Voice recognition that Android TV has

Simply get a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box

BTW: it does not matter what Kodi version you use because once you add any Skin you are familiar with they all work virtually the same. I suggest either SPMC (Jarvis) or Krypton

I'm in a similar position - mainly as I'd like to use all the Google Apps - Photos etc on the full Android TV software.

Thing is, I like the sound of LibreElec Kodi so I'm also thinking a Wetek Hub (with custom Android TV Rom) dual booting with LE?

I'm only running a 1080p display via a Yamaha AVR but would like 5.1, HD Audio support as much as possible. Apart from the auto refresh rate feature is there anything else major missing from the MiBox version of Kodi compared to a LE build. I don't need any Live TV/DVR functions.

Thanks in advance.
The main problems with the Mi Box for demanding Kodi users:

- No Automatic Kodi Dynamic Refresh rate switching for ultra smooth video playback vs LibreELEC Kodi
- No Automatic 1080p <<-->> 2160p (4K) Resolution switching
- broken PVR deinterlacing for Live OTA TV use, but if you don't need it...not important. Android TV - Live Channels however works with a TvHeadend server for live TV viewing.
- some touchscreen Sideloaded regular Android Apps refuse to work at all, but Android TV Apps far easier to control.

Also

With the Mi Box, you need to make sure you have a decent Dual Band 2.4/5GHz N or AC - home WiFi router or you will need to buy a cheap ($9) ASIX Chipset USB to Ethernet adapter.

Be aware a custom Android TV ROM will not come with Chromecasting capabilities.

Mi Box has full 5.1/7.1 AC3/DTS DTS-MA True-HD IEC - passthrough Audio support when used with SPMC 16.6.0 or Kodi Krypton
The Mi Box's simple, responsive Wireless remote is the best I've used, closely followed by MINIX's A2 Lite Smile

• 96(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28