• 101(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-04-09, 11:06)ex_directory Wrote: Button pushed on c2, delivery hopefully by next weekend, will report back

C2 arrived, using odroid.co.uk. My eMMC came with free microsd adapter. Total cost for all parts £100.

I ordered 16gb ubuntu eMMC, started it up, works, but not needed so within 15 minutes I had found the links and flashed the LibreElec image on to the eMMC.

Used my Enermax 2.4g wireless keyboard to get going, worked perfectly.

Now installed in my home cinema, dedicated kodi box, very pleased.

My old kodi set-up (sideload on AFTV) had Aeon Nox 5 skin heavily customised by me, I had Radio page with TuneIn Radio addon, photos page, amplifier page (using python scripts I wrote to control the amp) and various other mods. I will not be able to take these across easily to LibreElec, will require some playing around and learning. But that is fine, all part of the fun. The movies is working, and after turning on pass through, so far my amp is not complaining and playing it all no problems. I will not report back further on this as not interesting in this forum.

Last thing, massive thanks to wrxtasy Angel, you are awesome, can't thank you enough for sharing and continuing to share all the knowledge you have.

Even when the same question gets asked 100 times over by some people who are too lazy to read!!

And +1 for odroid C2, after 15 mins it is as good as an out of the box solution - just remember to buy a case when you order one!
Hi all.. first post so don;t bust me up to bad..... Looking to test the waters and get into this hobby, possibly lower my cable bill, and hoping to get in for less that $150.00
Have been searching, reading, downloading, building usb bootable stciks with different versions of os's and kodi for testing and entertaining knowledge for days, including this post and the other hardware post. Must say I'm confused.

I see a lot of stay away from Android !!! but also a lot of old post when it comes to why. Seems like most boxes you can find are Andriod boxes.. Seems like OpenELEC has taken some split and there is LibreElec, and there is also OSMC in the blinds. Not to mention Kodi has upgraded form 14, 16, to 17 then they throw in Krypton.
In todays world 2017, technology move forward in this world very fast and review for a box in early 2016 are likely no longer valid.

I don;t mind getting my hands dirty and have technical skills after working in the computer field since '73, starting with vacuum cleaner, oscilloscope, voltmeter, solder sucker and iron with a bag of transistors and capacitors... til 2013 when I retired, but I just don;t want to buy and build a Rasberry.

I found a box, plug and play ready to run (marketing babble) box that fits my budget and claims to do what I want called the "TickBox" but searcing this forum I see no reference to it... I'm sure there are other sellers out there with similar products.
Any good, bad, indifferent comments on the "TickBox" ?

In the US, yes US as many boxes have EU plugs, whats a good inexpensive, sub $150.00, box to buy that has an OS installed & Kodi recent release, good remote, that will stream and play 1080p video ?
Almost any android box with s905 or s905x will work with libreelec. I got a scishion v88 pro and loaded le on a sd card. Booted, works perfectly. Make sure you get the s905x version, not the rk chip one. got mine from gearbest.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-04-13, 19:53)sandyw371 Wrote: I see a lot of stay away from Android !!! but also a lot of old post when it comes to why.

Yes because when it comes to Android Boxes running Kodi Krypton what we are saying is:
  • Avoid the dirt cheap, bleeding edge, Chinese Android boxes to run Android Kodi, as their Firmware will be universally poor for full Kodi compatibility.
  • Avoid the dirt cheap, bleeding edge, Chinese Android boxes to run Android Kodi, as ongoing bug busting Firmware support will be either extremely poor or non existant from these "Ship & Forget" sellers.
  • Avoid the dirt cheap, bleeding edge, Chinese Android boxes to run Android Kodi if you are a demanding Kodi user because features like DTS & HD Audio Passthrough & Kodi dynamic refresh switching for ultra smooth video playback will not be working.
  • Avoid ALL Android Kodi implementations if you want working Kodi OTA TV and deinterlacing when using Kodi PVR clients.
  • Avoid 99% of Android Kodi implementations if you want working Auto Resolution switching from 1080p <<<--->>> 2160p (4K)
    (The exception here is the Amazon FireTV2)
Then on top of all that you have Android OS restrictions on the number of HDD's you can connect. There are OS security and permissions restrictions. Networking and general connectivity is more difficult, HDCP copy protections can interfere if you have mixed mode HDMI 1.4 / HDMI 2.0 AVR's and TV's. And the list goes on...

If you are a demanding Android Kodi user you need to buy a Android Firmware supported box from the likes of nVIDIA, MINIX, WeTek, Amazon or Xiaomi to get some of the above features working properly, but there will still be OS restrictions as previously listed.

LibreELEC Kodi Boxes gets rid of all that Kodi strangling Android crap and just boots straight into Kodi and works properly like the developers intended.
There is now an Army of AMLogic S905(x) (Android) boxes that can run LibreELEC Kodi for those on a budget and are willing to do some simple DIY.

In the end it depends how serious and fussy you are about Audio and Video when using Kodi and if you need Android Apps - all in the one box.

BIG TIP: Don't believe the marketing BS and paid for reviews you see on the Web. "Supported" does not mean working when it comes to cheap Android Kodi Boxes. We see a LOT of false advertising from cheap Chinese Android sellers.

Suggestion: Write down what Apps, Audio and Video features are most important to you and re-read Post #1

(2017-04-13, 13:28)ex_directory Wrote:
(2017-04-09, 11:06)ex_directory Wrote: Button pushed on c2, delivery hopefully by next weekend, will report back

C2 arrived, using odroid.co.uk. My eMMC came with free microsd adapter. Total cost for all parts £100.

I ordered 16gb ubuntu eMMC, started it up, works, but not needed so within 15 minutes I had found the links and flashed the LibreElec image on to the eMMC.

Used my Enermax 2.4g wireless keyboard to get going, worked perfectly.

Now installed in my home cinema, dedicated kodi box, very pleased.

Last thing, massive thanks to wrxtasy, you are awesome, can't thank you enough for sharing and continuing to share all the knowledge you have.
You welcome.
Glad the C2 is all working as intended.

In the end if you are competent enough to play with Kids Lego. Plug a few simple parts together, flash a downloaded LibreELEC image with a PC - then its pretty easy to get up and going.

I take it the Harmony Hub is working ?

(2017-04-14, 04:30)wrxtasy Wrote: I take it the Harmony Hub is working ?

Not tried yet, will report back later.
Just bought the Wetek Play 2. And, installed on sdcard Libreelec.
Now, I just don't know if I should buy an airmouse with keyboard like Mele F10 Deluxe, or a combo of keyboard and mouse like Logitech K400!
What are your opinions based on experiences?
wrxtasy, thanks I think I hear ya..... will be looking at Minix U1 or Xiaomi Mi box, with a flash to LibreElec.

Any further coments on the likes of "t....x" ....

MOD EDIT Pirate Box name removed
(2017-04-14, 17:12)sandyw371 Wrote: wrstaxy, thanks I think I hear ya..... will be looking at Minix U1 or Xiaomi Mi box, with a flash to LibreElec.

Any further coments on the likes of "t.....x" ....
No LibreELEC available for the Mi Box as the bootloader is locked down tight with SELinux

MINIX U1 AMLogic S905 combo with a Wireless remote makes a nice 4K LibreELEC media player = superior Kodi Krypton device.

Mi Box will be a superior, easy to use Android media player due to Android TV OS, Voice searching - including voice searching of SPMC (Kodi) media library, Chromecasting & HD/4K DRM Video streaming Apps like Netflix etc

No idea what "t.....x" means ?

t....x is perhaps apparently a company, https://t.....x/, that advertises and sells an Android box, a bit sketchy on the specs.. 64bit, quad core, 1g/8g, ready tp play with Android 5.1 or 6.0 Kodi.. and some other apps installed, with a sub. to .tv too..

sounds to good to be true....

MOD EDIT Pirate Box link removed
I'm removing the Tbox name from Posts above as its clearly a Pirate Kodi Box.
All the advertising they have is BS - stating free Sports Streams, and free Hollywood Movies are Legal - My Ass !

Pirate Kodi Box Sellers in the UK are being hauled before the courts and heavily fined and/or jailed for this sort of thing.

These types of Box Sellers are exactly the guys who give Kodi a bad name - taking dirt cheap Hardware and adding some Pirate Software, then sell at a Markup of 300-500%

great explan... thx. "Stay Away"
WeTek or U1 back to the top of my list.
(2017-04-11, 16:40)Asbelfast Wrote: Goo bangdoo "abox" any good lads? Smile

Which one?

I'm aware the 'A3' octocore is receiving positive reviews ;-) [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad
Just wondering how flexible is LibreELEC OS?
I'm currently running Android 6 and it allows me to run a Samba Server to get network access to the storage from my Computer.
I use it for editing favorites and storing the occasional file.

The other advantage is I added the Android Google Cast functions so the box can be targeted as a CCast when I want.
I'm sure I would lose that moving to LibreELEC but if I can configure the Samba server to run in the background I might be tempted to switch away from Android.
LibreELEC comes already packaged with a SFTP and SAMBA server built in. Its all pretty easy to use out of the box.

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?titl...amba_2FSMB

• 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28