• 106(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-05-04, 18:48)[email protected] Wrote:
(2017-05-02, 22:14)narenh Wrote: I've been reading through this thread (and many others) for awhile. Am I correct in saying there exists no combination of Kodi/hardware that supports:
- 10bit HEVC (4K)
- HDR10 metadata
- Auto-resolution switching (so the TV upscales 1080p content)

I currently have an NVIDIA Shield, an ODROID C2, and a Khadas VIM (had a Mi box but returned it after finding out it doesn't support casting from HBO GO).
Is my best course of action to have a dedicated 1080p Kodi device and keep the Shield set to 4K? I'd have to split up my library, but that's far less annoying than having to manually resolution switch the Shield for 4K vs non-4K content.

I would like to know this as well. I am about to just buy a Nvidia Shield and live with the poor upscaling. How livable would you say it is currently? I was also looking at the Vero 4k...

Obviously it's going to depend on your setup and your own individual tolerance for the poor upscaling. I was using a 1080p BD remux of Rogue One to test, and the scene where they first arrive on Yavin IV. The temples looked noticeably worse with the Shield upscaling, and the following hangar bay scene (which is dark and has a quick pan) was virtually unwatchable. With the TV doing the upscaling that scene didn't look perfect but it didn't take me out of the movie like that scene would have when the Shield was upscaling. I should also point out that I'm not using SPMC or the high-quality scalars, because I've experienced stuttering with mediacodec-surface turned off (plus no HDR on my few 4K files that support it). My TV is a Vizio P75-C1 and eyeball-screen distance is about 8ft.
nVIDIA need to implement Google's 4K Display.Mode APIs to allow App Auto Resolution switching, like what the 4K Amazon Fire TV2 currently has:
https://developer.amazon.com/public/solu...on-fire-tv

If you are a demanding A/V user, 99% of Android boxes are not going to give you quality 720/1080p > 4K upscaled video compared to what modern 4K TV's produce.

Is the Minix U1 still a good buy today and is it worth purchasing? The price is under $100 CDN. I already have a MI Box but I need a second box. The OS is lollipop 5.1 but does that matter greatly for viewing video files from usb.
Actually because its still Lollipop Amcodec decoding still works nicely when used with Android Kodi Jarvis or SPMC, plus Kodi refresh switching will work.

Its certainly makes a kick ass S905 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton Box, especially when used with the Wireless Keyboard Remote.

Hello Guys, I read a lot of topic here but I couldn't decide what tv box to buy!Confused So, I have a doubt between Xiaomi Mi Box and Vero 4k.
Why pay 2 times more on a Vero 4k than the Xiaomi Mi Box? Because of the support?

I have this doubt because Android TV appears to be really nice and both devices have a similar hardware.

Thank You!
You should begin with what you Audio and Video requirements are - and which Android Apps you want from a media player box and go from there.

The Vero 4K is a pure Kodi Box - it does not run Android Apps.

(2017-05-07, 17:54)wrxtasy Wrote: You should begin with what you Audio and Video requirements are - and which Android Apps you want from a media player box and go from there.

The Vero 4K is a pure Kodi Box - it does not run Android Apps.

I want a box to play h264/h265 in 1080p and 4K/HDR and 10 Bits.I would like a box to play Anime hi10p but this isn't possible yet. For now I use a sound bar for audio, but I hope buy a home theater in the future.

Here on my country(Brazil), I will pay 110 dolares in a Xiaomi mi box and 246 dolares in a Vero 4k. Yes....we have a lot of taxes Sad
Is there a reason Cubox has been left out on the list?
I'm running the latest LibreElec smoothly on a Cubox i4pro.

I'm search for a fairly recent Kodi box, and was wondering how the Vero 4K compares to the Cubox.
The AMLogic S905(x) boxes like the Vero 4K, ODROID C2, MINIX U1 and WeTek's Hub / Play2 are far more powerful than the pretty old 1.0 GHz i.MX6 Quad - Cubox i4Pro.

The S905's have working features like:
- Properly synced 23.976, 29.97, 59.94 fps video output - no resampling of audio needed either.
- Full 8/10bit 1080p/4K HEVC Hardware decoding.
- HDMI 2.0.
- Proper Gigabit Ethernet.
- Hi quality hardware deinterlacing.
- Superior b/g/n or AC Dual Band WiFi
- Fast eMMC Flash storage.
- Faster Internal busses.
- Far better GPU/VPU and the list goes on and on...

That is before we get on to the excellent LibreELEC Kodi community support for such, (often cheap) AMLogic S905 hardware.

The ASUS Chromebox is in the price range of the Cubox i4Pro and for a 1080p / HD Audio - LibreELEC Kodi media player it would easily spank the Cubox i4Pro's ass.

Also from memory the i.MX6 devices are apparently not capable of 23.976 or 59.94Hz outputs, more iMX.6 Hardware limitations found HERE

Ok, thanks for the clear explanation.
I'm going for the Vero 4K.
(2017-05-10, 07:04)DaCrazyOne Wrote: I believe the Xiaomi bot does not have an Ethernet connection is this true?
Can you recommend the best box with Ethernet around $150-$200?

Thanks
If you have decent 5GHz b/g/n or AC WiFi in the House you will have no problems streaming even Highbitrate RAW - Bluray Rips with the Mi Box - it has excellent AC WiFi on board.

This will fix the no Ethernet issue - USB 2.0 to RJ45 LAN Ethernet Network Adapter

Kodi ethernet boxes ....

Q. Best 1080p/4K Bang for the Buck - Kodi only, HD Audio (bitstreaming) device ?
(All running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, unless noted. Easiest to hardest to setup, Wireless remote purchase recommended)
  • Vero 4K (OSMC)
  • ODROID C2 / WeTek Hub & Play2
  • MINIX U1
  • Various cheap AMLogic S905(X) devices.

wrxtasy i cant send you private message
Sorry, for my English.

Hello, I'm new here but for a long time I see the forum, I need some help if anyone can, thanks.

I need 1080p H265 (my tv is 1080p plasma panasonic 50ST60 and I do not intend to buy a 4k so early); HD audio passthrough (DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and LPCM 5.1) in SPMC or KODI or in plex and netflix 1080p DD+ passthrough.
Auto refresh rate, no audio drop and audio sync.

I want to replace mede8er 600X3D (I do not know if there will be any at same level).
Nvidia Shield TV, Wetek Play2 (android tv ROM) or another?
I do no want NUC or HTPC and I no need 3D.
I am thinking of buying a Minix Neo U1 can anyone give me some advice if goid or not?
Will use it with Kodi and a few catch up. TV apps.
Thanks
(2017-05-10, 10:43)m.r.f. Wrote: Sorry, for my English.

Hello, I'm new here but for a long time I see the forum, I need some help if anyone can, thanks.

I need 1080p H265 (my tv is 1080p plasma panasonic 50ST60 and I do not intend to buy a 4k so early); HD audio passthrough (DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD and LPCM 5.1) in SPMC or KODI or in Plex and Netflix 1080p DD+ passthrough.
Auto refresh rate, no audio drop and audio sync.
Welcome to the Kodi forums....where you will get no nonsense (we hope) advice.

English all good ! Smile

Go the nVIDIA Shield if you want all that working properly.
For those reading - Be aware to get 5.1 DD+ Audio from Netflix (& Amazon I think) on the Android TV devices - Shield and Mi Box, you need to be connected to a DD+ capable AVR / TV. Otherwise expect 2.0 PCM Audio only.

(2017-05-10, 10:55)DaCrazyOne Wrote: I am thinking of buying a Minix Neo U1 can anyone give me some advice if good or not?
Will use it with Kodi and a few catch up. TV apps.
Thanks
Yes - you will not go wrong with the AMLogic S905 NEO U1, especially if you get one with the nice Wireless A2 Lite Keyboard remote. I use that A2 remote with a number of media players around the house.
What is really good is that you can Dual Boot it and run a Kick Ass version of LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on it as well. Its a pretty flexible quality device.

Cheap for Oz users would be to buy from an actual MINIX store - HERE (use DHL Express)

EDIT: Actually HERE is even cheaper and locally avail.

PS. I'm not sure if new Users with lowish post counts can PM others straight away.

• 106(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28