• 110(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-05-19, 18:44)wrxtasy Wrote: fiddling about with Android settings to get optimal upscaling picture outputs for a 4K TV soon becomes a PITA after a while.

It's not too bad, especially when fiddling takes as much time as switching inputs and turning on other devices (a little slower than my harmony remote, but still not too bad).
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
At present I have a Android M8 box running Kodi Jarvis 16.1 . Is this box good enough to upgrade to Kodi 17.1 and fast enough to handle it or do I need a box with more memory and more speed. If so I'd like something that will be good enough for many more upgrades .
(2017-05-23, 21:34)Zeppman Wrote: At present I have a Android M8 box running Kodi Jarvis 16.1 . Is this box good enough to upgrade to Kodi 17.1 and fast enough to handle it or do I need a box with more memory and more speed. If so I'd like something that will be good enough for many more upgrades .

Those boxes usually only run Android 4.4, which is not enough for the latest Kodi (requires 5.0 at least).
What's the best box that I can play 3D movies from under $150?
(2017-05-24, 00:30)woronczak Wrote:
(2017-05-23, 21:34)Zeppman Wrote: At present I have a Android M8 box running Kodi Jarvis 16.1 . Is this box good enough to upgrade to Kodi 17.1 and fast enough to handle it or do I need a box with more memory and more speed. If so I'd like something that will be good enough for many more upgrades .

Those boxes usually only run Android 4.4, which is not enough for the latest Kodi (requires 5.0 at least).
AMLogic S8xx boxes are perfectly capable to run Kodi 17.x - yes even Android 4.4.x ones.

Please read this POST and follow the link for an Android 4.4.x option.

But if you really want to see what Kodi Krypton is like on older Hardware, install LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on to a Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar 300x Class 10 U1 microSDHC card.
This can even be a Dual Boot - LibreELEC / Android setup. LibreELEC Kodi will run at speed and run well.

(2017-05-24, 04:28)doogie88 Wrote: What's the best box that I can play 3D movies from under $150?

Raspberry Pi 3
hi all, been reading parts of this topic...

i would like to do the following....

- android os
- 1080i deinterlacing from live tvheadend server streams
- automatic vertical refresh switching (24, 50, 60)

is the odroid c2 capable of doing this?
No it is not if you use Android Marshmallow.
Android Marshmallow is not even the standard install on the C2.

It does not include a Google Apps store. Refresh switching is broken. You cannot use SPMC (Jarvis) to be able to use PVR's and get proper deinterlacing either. The screen display with SPMC is messed up on SPMC startup. It really is pretty poor actually. Sad

If you use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton however on the C2. All that works, minus Android of course. You cannot dual boot the C2.

Android Kodi Krypton on all Android platforms has broken PVR's and deinterlacing. You have to use Intel / RPi platforms or use AMLogic devices that still use Amcodec deinterlacing and hardware acceleration AND has working refresh switching - such as LibreELEC.

There is no 5.1 AC3 Audio passthrough either when using PVR's and Android Kodi Krypton.

The WeTek Hub has this working for you:
- Real easy dual booting by just using the IR remote, if you need to switch between Android and LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. Remembers last used OS too so you can set and forget if you want to.
- Android / LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - properly working dynamic refresh switching with both.
- Working PVR's and Hardware deinterlacing when using both LibreELEC Kodi and also using SPMC/FTMC (Amcodec - Jarvis) with the unofficial Android TV ROM.
- Android TV with TvHeadend Live Channels beta works really well too, for high quality Live TV streams with 5.1 AC3 Audio.

The unofficial Android TV ROM (Marshmallow) now available for the WeTek Hub is really pretty nice. I can use FTMC (Kodi Jarvis fork) and Kodi Krypton to meet 99% of my 576/1080i TV deinterlacing and Kodi Krypton movie viewing needs.

(2017-05-27, 07:00)wrxtasy Wrote: There is no 5.1 AC3 Audio passthrough either when using PVR's and Android Kodi Krypton.

Isn't AC3 passthrough now disabled on all platforms for Live TV (aka PVRs) ? AIUI you get 5.1 AC3 decoded to 5.1 PCM for Live TV/PVR these days - which was a conscious decision by Kodi developers. Or has this changed?
Yes it is for ALL standard Kodi PVR distros.
But you will find most of the Linux/LibreELEC guys have bypassed that restriction with all their community releases.

(2017-05-27, 07:00)wrxtasy Wrote: No it is not if you use Android Marshmallow.
Android Marshmallow is not even the standard install on the C2.

It does not include a Google Apps store. Refresh switching is broken. You cannot use SPMC (Jarvis) to be able to use PVR's and get proper deinterlacing either. The screen display with SPMC is messed up on SPMC startup. It really is pretty poor actually. Sad

If you use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton however on the C2. All that works, minus Android of course. You cannot dual boot the C2.

Android Kodi Krypton on all Android platforms has broken PVR's and deinterlacing. You have to use Intel / RPi platforms or use AMLogic devices that still use Amcodec deinterlacing and hardware acceleration AND has working refresh switching - such as LibreELEC.

There is no 5.1 AC3 Audio passthrough either when using PVR's and Android Kodi Krypton.

The WeTek Hub has this working for you:
- Real easy dual booting by just using the IR remote, if you need to switch between Android and LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. Remembers last used OS too so you can set and forget if you want to.
- Android / LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - properly working dynamic refresh switching with both.
- Working PVR's and Hardware deinterlacing when using both LibreELEC Kodi and also using SPMC/FTMC (Amcodec - Jarvis) with the unofficial Android TV ROM.
- Android TV with TvHeadend Live Channels beta works really well too, for high quality Live TV streams with 5.1 AC3 Audio.

The unofficial Android TV ROM (Marshmallow) now available for the WeTek Hub is really pretty nice. I can use FTMC (Kodi Jarvis fork) and Kodi Krypton to meet 99% of my 576/1080i TV deinterlacing and Kodi Krypton movie viewing needs.

Thanks!

I'm considering buying wetek hubs...
Does the wetek hub wake from lan or usb? For my home automation integration? I suppose i can leave them on as energy consumption is low.

I've also tried android-x86 on a chromebox, could this be a good platform for kodi incl. 1080i deinterlacing?
The AMLogic S9xx devices are based on Mobile chipsets. They consume little power and are designed to be left on 24/7 for instant use.
They are not power hungry HTPC - File Servers so there is no WOL and such.

I have not idea about Android-x86 on Chromebox's - let alone using Android on that box for Kodi 1080i deinterlacing. I suspect Android Kodi PVR's and deinterlacing would be busted like all current Android Kodi Krypton releases.

@matt devo aka Mr. Chromebox will know more.

The Question is what do you want out of Android - what streaming services or Apps, this is actually pretty important ?

You really should work out what Android Apps are most wanted - because Android TV is different from regular tablet Android that all these regular touchscreen based Android devices use.

For example Android TV has fewer Android TV Apps in it's entirely seperate Playstore, but they are much easier to use than the regular tablet Android Apps. There are a LOT of touchscreen Android Apps that do not work on Android TV properly at all.

(2017-05-28, 06:47)wrxtasy Wrote: The AMLogic S9xx devices are based on Mobile chipsets. They consume little power and are designed to be left on 24/7 for instant use.
They are not power hungry HTPC - File Servers so there is no WOL and such.

I have not idea about Android-x86 on Chromebox's - let alone using Android on that box for Kodi 1080i deinterlacing. I suspect Android Kodi PVR's and deinterlacing would be busted like all current Android Kodi Krypton releases.

@matt devo aka Mr. Chromebox will know more.

The Question is what do you want out of Android - what streaming services or Apps, this is actually pretty important ?

You really should work out what Android Apps are most wanted - because Android TV is different from regular tablet Android that all these regular touchscreen based Android devices use.

For example Android TV has fewer Android TV Apps in it's entirely seperate Playstore, but they are much easier to use than the regular tablet Android Apps. There are a LOT of touchscreen Android Apps that do not work on Android TV properly at all.

ok that's bad...
i've installed android-x86 on my chromebox, and installed kodi android x86, i can use software deinterlacing now, which seems to work...
that andoid tv ecosystem is not what i need, i want freedom... my apps are netflix, amazon, vodafone tv app, knipr, kijk, nlziet....
i think that an i5 or i7 intel box with android-x86 will do software deinterlacing in 1080i and run all the android apps besides kodi, and have wol from suspend.
I am thinking about moving on from my Nvidia Shield (I believe it is an overkill for my requirements as I don't play video games on it).

I recently bought a UHD Samsung Smart TV with a 10 Bit panel. The smart tv function offers Netflix and Amazon Video (both with UHD HDR) but previously I had used my Nvidia Shield for Netflix and Amazon. In addition I used the Shield mainly for Kodi but also once in a while I used it to download torrent files (not copyrighted material) and than transfer the downloaded file using ES File Explorer to a network connected HDD (or HDD connected to the shield via usb).

My requirements for my new box are as follows:
Simple setup (I've had a RPi before but don't have the time or patience to set one up again and maintain)
Enough processing power to run Kodi smoothly and play 4K 10bit HDR content without hiccups
Torrent download and file management capability(possibly achievable via Kodi addon, haven't looked into it)
Support Dolby Digital / DTS
HDMI-CEC
Connect USB HDD to the device and share the content to other devices on the network (having a 2.5 inch HDD which draws power from the USB port on the device would be preferred)
2 USB ports would be nice (USB3 ports would be great)
A good and simple RF/BT remote (I love the small nvidia shield remote). Also would be great if the remote had keyboard on the back)

Nice to have's:
Headphone plug in remote

Budget:
Looking for something in the $100-150 range

Possible options on my radar so far:
Vero 4k
Minix Neo U9 / U9-H
Xiaomi Mi Box

Is there another box I should be looking at? And which box would you recommend based on my requirements?
(2017-05-30, 15:11)snosig Wrote: Enough processing power to run Kodi smoothly and play 4K 10bit HDR content without hiccups
And this is where the wheels fall off the wagon...you are too early for bugs free HDR support if using LibreELEC / Linux. Stick with the Shield.
You have to use Mediacodec (Surface) with Android and even then there are HDR bugs and issues like no Auto Resolution switching.

Quote:Connect USB HDD to the device and share the content to other devices on the network (having a 2.5 inch HDD which draws power from the USB port on the device would be preferred)
Strongly suggest a Linux / LibreELEC box here with its built in SMB server. Android permission are not much fun to deal with compared to the simplicity that is LibreELEC. It is virtually Plug N Play with external USB storage.
LibreELEC's SMB server is already setup for sharing files.

Quote:A good and simple RF/BT remote (I love the small nvidia shield remote). Also would be great if the remote had keyboard on the back)
MINIX has that with their NEO A2 lite.

Quote:Possible options on my radar so far:
Vero 4k
Minix Neo U9 / U9-H
Xiaomi Mi Box

Vero 4K - like LibreELEC no proper HDR support with OSMC. No Keyboard remote like the U9. Otherwise a Solid choice.

The U9, whilst good as a touchscreen/tablet Android device, comes with the usual Android limitations mentioned above. HDR has issues as well.
The U9 does not run LibreELEC properly, there are GPU video driver issues.
Why would you buy another Android device when you already have a Shield ?

You will not get Kodi dynamic refresh switching with the Mi Box, so no ultra smooth video playback. 4K playback not as good as an OSMC / LibreELEC box, plus the usual Android limitations.

The trouble is trying to do everything on the One device so you will have to make compromises.
Use Android for Android Apps and 4K HDR, leave it in a 4K resolution if you have to. Put up with poor video quality upscaling from the media player.

Android really does not play nice with 4K TV's due to the lack of Auto Resolution switching from 1080p <<-->> 4K. If you value quality 720/1080p video upscaling on a 4K TV, do not use Android for a 720/1080/2160p (non HDR) Kodi media player. Really a two player solution is needed.

The S905 MINIX U1 running LibreELEC with its included quality A2 Lite Mini Keyboard remote will come the closest to your needs. Ditch HDR.

Otherwise an AML S905X device setup as a dual boot LibreELEC / Android (HDR experimental) device. Android will not be fun on this type of device, there will be numerous issues. Buy a MINIX A2 Lite remote for it.

• 110(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28