• 113(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-06-15, 17:05)Tinderbox (UK) Wrote: I watch a lot of Animi, but some of the series are in h.264 10bit and after reading many many websites that say it will never be supported/ hardware decoded by mainstream manufactures, so software is my only choice, 1080p h.264 10bit is extremely juddery on my Amlogic S905X 2GB tv box so i was looking at getting an more powerful version, The new Amlogic S912 seemed the way to go as it has a Octo 8 core`s over the S905X Quad 4 cores.

But according to benchmark comparisons between the S905 and S912 the S912 only scores noticibly higher in 3D processing which is gaming, But not in 2D video, So how can 8 cpu cores only score approx the same as 4 cpu cores, it`s seems strange to me, So the S912 will not software decode H.264 10bit any smoother than an S905 ??

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/09/19/a...omparison/

Thanks

John.

Yes that is true - 1080p H264 10bit Anime aka Hi10P is not a legit compression format. So it has to be software decoded by the media players CPU's.

None of those 4 Core AMlogic devices has the necessary CPU grunt.
Just tested 1080p Anima on the S912 and whilst it does play - it is not smooth.

Looks like only 4 CPU's are really being utilised and ffmpeg Software decoding (Android Kodi or SPMC ) is not optimised on the S912 for 8 Core CPU Software decoding. MX Player is not smooth either. I would say various testing Apps are not optimised either for 8 Core CPU's.

The nVIDIA Shield or decent Intel Iron would be needed I would think for 1080p Hi10P Anime

(2017-06-15, 11:48)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-06-15, 09:14)ultravid Wrote: @wrxtasy: Thanks for the advise, Will do some research on Minix U1 .

It seems to me as someone prefers air mouse, Minix is definitely your choice out of the 3 models that I mentioned. However, assuming that all 3 work fine with air (wireless) device, what would be your pick?
Kodi only Plug n Play = Vero 4K - comes with everything ready to go.

A Bit of Android Lollipop & run LibreELEC Kodi from an external micro SDHC card = MINIX U1 - I do like its A2 Lite Wireless remote.

Unofficial Android TV or straight up Android Marshmallow that you can very easily dual boot into LibreELEC Kodi just by using the Infra Red remote's power button = Play2
LibreELEC is easily installed to an external SD card and it autoupdates because the Play2 is a LibreELEC reference device.

Plus with the Play2 you also get proper HDCP, DRM & Netflix approval for copy protected DRM video Streaming Apps.
It really is a pretty flexible device so you can choose what OS suits best.
A MINIX A2 or A3 Lite remote would complement the Play2 nicely.
The A3 lite has Voice search that could possibly be added to the Play2's Android Firmware. Voice search may work out of the box. I really do not know.

Kodi, Vero or LibreELEC do not need Air Mouse Functionality at all to use properly.

Be aware the Zidoo X9S does not run a native version of Kodi that you install direct from the Playstore.
To use the box's A/V features properly they distribute a Kodi fork (version) called ZDMC that then calls external media player software.
As such Zidoo is responsible for any such ZDMC support, on their own forums.

And they are also responsible for any ZDMC updates and bug fixes. There is no guarantee that when new Spec Zidoo Hardware comes out ongoing support will continue for years to come.

The Q10 Pro also uses a Wrapper and does not run Kodi natively either. Kodi is only a front end for external media player software.

Please be aware of the risks once you branch out from the Android Kodi eco system and being able to directly install and run Kodi from the Playstore.

Personally I don't much like devices that need special versions or quasimodo Wrappers and external media player Software just to simply use Kodi - once you start adding too many variables and workarounds it frankly turns into a bit of a nightmare for a beginner.
Tanks @wrxtasy

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através de Tapatalk
@wrxtasy: Thanks for spending your time to explain all that to me. To be frank I do not understand 100% of what you mentioned as they were too technical to me. Nevertheless I got your point. Appreciate it.
hello, I have read the first page but must've missed the info I'm going to ask.

Can the mi box play 1080p (and maybe 4k) h265 videos?
All AMLogic boxes with S905 / S905X chipsets can decode and playback 8/10bit HEVC (H265) up to 2160p(4K) at 60Hz.
That includes the Mi Box.

However like ALL Android TV boxes you have to manually switch the Android Settings Resolution to 4K before hand.
There is no 1080p <<-->>2160p (4K) Auto resolution switching. You either leave it at 4K, which is perfectly fine for some people or manually switch yourself.

OSMC/LibreELEC S905/S905X boxes do Auto Resolution switching. Everything is automatic.

Hi guys
I've an OUYA which I use with Kodi (PlexBMC) and Netflix
Due lack of updates, Android can't be upgraded, therefore I've got stuck on Kodi Helix 14.2 and cannot install any new versions.

I've decided to replace this toy with another solution, and have these options

1. Raspberry Pi 3 (I already have it, but using it with Digital Signage). The problem I see is that Netflix won't run natively on LibreElec or Raspbian, unless I install on it Windows 10 IOT. I can't go with Netflix addon for kodi because I need something very user friendly

2. Xiaomi Mi box, international version. The problem I see here is I will need an usb hub with ethernet, because my Wifi router sucks and cannot replace it.

3. Minix Neo U9-H

4. Intel NUC 5CPYH with 4gb ram / 250gb ssd. The problem I see would be the price. But this option would allow me to go with Windows 10 native apps (kodi, Netflix, etc.) and maybe dual boot with LibreElec or another OS in case I wanna try different things, right?

Which option would you choose, having into account the previous considerations?
Thanks a lot in advance,
For 1080p Netflix a device needs Netflix Hardware approval or a Win 10 Box with its associated Netflix App from the Windows Store.
Then you need proper Widevine Level 1 DRM.

5.1 Netflix Audio with the Mi Box needs a HDMI connected - DD+ capable Audio receiver attached. Not sure what Win 10 needs for 5.1 Audio.

So that rules out choices (1) and (3).
The Mi Box does not do Kodi auto dynamic refresh rate switching if you want smooth 24p video playback.

Actually the most flexible device is the 1080p/4K Netflix Approved - WeTek Play2. It has all the proper DRM certificates as well.
You can pick what you want, unofficial Android TV - regular tablet Android OS - and very easily dual boot to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton running from a external microSDHC card, simply by using the remote's power button during bootup.
The easy to use Android TV - Netflix App works well with recently released Marshmallow Firmware.

Otherwise Android TV only - consider a nVIDIA Shield.

BTW for Android v4.4.x devices there are some Forks of Kodi that work, read these two posts:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2577898

Wow, thanks a lot @wrxtasy
Very helpful answer

I guess I'll take into consideration the nVidia Shield TV
Just registered and want to say thank you to @wrxtasy

I bought a S912 box, it did not work well. I returned it and found this thread. After the long reading and research, I decided to go for Vero 4K, which meets all my need and easy to use.

There are some issues when I first use the box, but the support is good, now I am happy.
Question 
I have a new 55 inch Spectrum TV and Kodi has been working fantastic. Today I turned it on[/size] and was seeing the same picture on each side on the TV. Like I was seeing double. Can someone help me fix this? I tried it in my bed rooms 36" and it works ok there. Can some one help me with this issue? I wanted to reset but don't want to loose all the settings because it was done for me by a friend of my daughters.... THANKS Confused
Jagstarrr~[size=large]
@jagstarr this is not a "help" thread. Please start another thread in the correct section.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hey guys, I've read the post but I still have doubts choosing the perfect box for my use..

I have a 4k TV and would like to take profit of it. My desired box should be able to:
- Support 4K
- Kodi
- Transmission (or similar to automate RSS downloads)
- Something like pi-hole if possible.

Any recommendations? My budget is around 50-60€ maximum.

Thanks in advance!
(2017-06-18, 17:30)Alejandro3 Wrote: Hey guys, I've read the post but I still have doubts choosing the perfect box for my use..

I have a 4k TV and would like to take profit of it. My desired box should be able to:
- Support 4K
- Kodi
- Transmission (or similar to automate RSS downloads)
- Something like pi-hole if possible.

Any recommendations? My budget is around 50-60€ maximum.

Thanks in advance!
Given your requirements I guess it would be nice if you could rise the budget a little bit and get two devices (maybe you could buy one now, the second one in a few months). Something from the raspberry family for torrent and ph-hole, and a dedicated player (Android or openelec).

If you have to squeeze everything on a single device, something Linux based should be the way to go. Cheapest option is some amlogic s905x Android device with some modding on it to install a Linux distribution of openelec
@Alejandro3: It is not recommended to keep your TV box always on, no matter what you buy. I would get one of the Android S905X devices and a RPi as a downloader.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2017-06-20, 08:09)clemmy Wrote: Given your requirements I guess it would be nice if you could rise the budget a little bit and get two devices (maybe you could buy one now, the second one in a few months). Something from the raspberry family for torrent and ph-hole, and a dedicated player (Android or openelec).

If you have to squeeze everything on a single device, something Linux based should be the way to go. Cheapest option is some amlogic s905x Android device with some modding on it to install a Linux distribution of openelec

(2017-06-20, 11:24)tmihai20 Wrote: @Alejandro3: It is not recommended to keep your TV box always on, no matter what you buy. I would get one of the Android S905X devices and a RPi as a downloader.

Good to know. So basically something along the lines of a Mini M8S II and a Rasp? Could I do with just the M8S II if I forget the pi-hole? Or do you recommend any other Amlogic 905x?

Btw, saw that the creator of Pine A64 are releasing the Rock64, could this do the job?
  • 113(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28