• 116(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-06-28, 17:20)wrxtasy Wrote: IEC Audio Firmware support is needed for Krypton Audio Passthough. I suspect the X8-H has old Android 4.4.x Firmware without that support.

First Options before new Hardware....

1) Install LibreELEC Kodi Kryton to a Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar 300x Class 10 U1 microSDHC card and run a dual boot setup.
2) Install SPMC (Krypton test) from HERE and select the RAW Audio passthough options.
3) Follow the advice in this post and install an Alt. fork of Krypton.

All other MINIX Kodi support questions belong either on the Kodi Android Subforum or look in the MINIX X8-H Sub Forum.

Yes, it has Android 4.4.x and won't receive upgrades anymore.
I will test what you've suggested. Thank you very much.

The apk file from the 2nd link about SPMC had some parsing problems, or something like that. So I tried my Kodi 16 again and found some audio options I did not see before. No I have Dolby and DTS sound. Smile
Thanks for you help.

I always link to this topic and your opening post when people ask which Kodi mediaplayer to buy. It is of great help. Keep up the good work. It is very much appreciated.
What low powered hardware would give the best results upscaling all content to 2160p? I have a Odroid C2 that is capable of doing this at the moment but and I am considering getting a new Intel NUC which would allow me to hopefully use lazcos3 or spline3 up scaling algorithms. Would this be any better than what the s905 is capable of?
I suspect most 4K tvs will do a better upscaling than a kodi box.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes I agree with Nickr. You would even have superior, dedicated upscaling hardware in 4K TV's to do this.
Leave the Kodi GUI in 1080p and let the 4K TV / Projector upscale content.
4K LibreELEC Kodi boxes auto resolution switch anyway to output 4K content at 4K when needed.

wrxtasy, have you seen this new Kodi (libreelec) box from Eminent?

http://www.eminent-online.com/em7680-4k-...m7580.html

What do you think of it? does it deserve a recommendation in the opening post, or should we just forget it?
Nothing special really just a bog standard 1GB RAM, 2.4GHz only WiFi, AMLogic S905X with an external antenna.
Virtually the same as the dirt cheap ones sold all over the internet that guys flash with @kszaq's LibreELEC Kodi Krypton images.

Dutch technology website hardware.info recommended it, because it checks all the boxes (4k, hdr, dolby, etc), is pretty cheap, works very well on LibreElec and it can be purchased without the hassle of importing it from Asia, including normal warranty and no import taxes.
Wrxtasy or anyone willing to help,
I have read through the thread over and over, just unsure what box to get. I would like a box that can do 4k 10bit HEVC and access to Amazon Prime. I usually just play movies and shows stored on a server, but I need a box that I can hide behind the TV. I am having problems deciding because the Shield seems a little expensive, the Amazon Fire TV2 may not do what I need, and other boxes recommended seem to be outside the US.
I like the option of directly booting into KODI. (Linux)

I have looked at
NVIDIA Shield – $199
https://smile.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-S...dia+shield

FireTV2- $90
https://smile.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV-...=fire+tv+2

ODROID C2- $70 + Case $10 + Power $10 + MicroSD $10 = $100
https://smile.amazon.com/ODROID-C2-Proje...=Odroid+C2

WeTEK Play 2– $129.90
https://www.amazon.com/WeTek-Hybrid-Cent...B01NBBSCR8

VERA 4k - NO US OPTION?

Any help would be much appreciated.
FireTV2 or nVIDIA Shield are the only two options for Amazon Video App and 4K 10bit HEVC decoding.

FireTV2 is HDMI 1.4 so limited to 4K@30Hz = perfectly fine for 4K Netflix and 4K Amazon Video & whatever other 4K 24p 10bit clips you may want to view.

You should have a good read on the nVIDIA Shield TV forums too. There are some large threads about various issues that may or may not affect a potential purchase.

Shield is far more powerful running Android Nougat 7.1 vs Lollipop 5.1 on FireTV2.
Kodi is a direct install on Shield too.

I suspect there will be a 4K HDR capable FireTV3 out this year, the FireTV2 will be legacy Hardware then. Shield has a long way to go before being obsolete.

(2017-07-03, 21:32)wrxtasy Wrote: FireTV2 or nVIDIA Shield are the only two options for Amazon Video App and 4K 10bit HEVC decoding.

I have prime so it is a nice feature, but the main use is local server stored videos. I can probably use the TV itself for what little Prime we will use. Does that change the answer?

(2017-07-03, 21:32)wrxtasy Wrote: FireTV2 is HDMI 1.4 so limited to 4K@30Hz = perfectly fine for 4K Netflix and 4K Amazon Video & whatever other 4K 24p 10bit clips you may want to view.

I suppose this is a reason to wait for FIRE TV 3rd Generation.

(2017-07-03, 21:32)wrxtasy Wrote: You should have a good read on the nVIDIA Shield TV forums too. There are some large threads about various issues that may or may not affect a potential purchase.

I will look for the information you suggested.

(2017-07-03, 21:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Shield is far more powerful running Android Nougat 7.1 vs Lollipop 5.1 on FireTV2.
Kodi is a direct install on Shield too.

I suspect there will be a 4K HDR capable FireTV3 out this year.

How much delay do these boxes have in loading? I am currently using PCs, but they are too large to keep in the room. They will be repurposed in other areas.

Thank you for the replies.

I appreciate the information.
Hi

My friend wants a kodi box.. No 3d needed, but clean kodi with no hassle, so no windows..
Hdaudio is yes, full 4k is also yes., hdr also
Also remote via harmony..

What device should he buy?

My possibilities i think

Zidoo x9s (rather not cause of external player)
New shield
Wetek hub
Vero 4k (looks promising)
2017 Shield with a FLIRC USB Infra Red receiver, unless the Harmony remote is a Wireless one.

(2017-07-04, 22:07)wrxtasy Wrote: 2017 Shield with a FLIRC USB Infra Red receiver, unless the Harmony remote is a Wireless one.

Mmm
Why not vero 4k?

I read that shield has issues

The remote is the harmony hub one
Everyone thinks they want HDR to justify their 4K HDR TV purchase There is no HDR support with OSMC Kodi running on the Vero 4K.

Any half decent, convenient, 4K HDR streaming content comes from 4K HDR Netflix and Amazon Video Apps, which are only available on the Shield.

(2017-07-03, 21:42)BigMixer Wrote: How much delay do these boxes have in loading? I am currently using PCs, but they are too large to keep in the room. They will be repurposed in other areas.
If HDD's or Gigabit connected NAS's have their drives already Spun up, then Video playback will be quick, likely around 1 second or under for most Bluray Rips. TV refresh switching takes longer depending on user equiptment.

If you mean bootup from power on. AML S905's with LibreELEC running from eMMC take less than 10 seconds. Android Marshmallow+ generally 20 to 40 seconds depending on which device.

Ok...
True
But my friend wont watch netflix 4k through his mediaplayer. He will watch it through. Tv, so its not necessary.
So best choice would be vero 4k then?
  • 116(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28