• 117(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-07-04, 20:06)Skank Wrote: Hi

My friend wants a kodi box.. No 3d needed, but clean kodi with no hassle, so no windows..
Hdaudio is yes, full 4k is also yes., hdr also

Not sure how much clearer I can make it.... Confused

(2017-07-05, 04:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Everyone thinks they want HDR to justify their 4K HDR TV purchase There is no HDR support with OSMC Kodi running on the Vero 4K.

(2017-07-05, 11:20)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-07-04, 20:06)Skank Wrote: Hi

My friend wants a kodi box.. No 3d needed, but clean kodi with no hassle, so no windows..
Hdaudio is yes, full 4k is also yes., hdr also

Not sure how much clearer I can make it.... Confused

(2017-07-05, 04:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Everyone thinks they want HDR to justify their 4K HDR TV purchase There is no HDR support with OSMC Kodi running on the Vero 4K.

To make matters worse the majority of people asking for HDR support don't even have TVs that can produce the extended colour space or brightness levels that HDR requires. They just want to see the HDR indicator pop up on the screen because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling inside and makes them feel good about their purchase all while watching on the Vivid picture mode because they like unnatural colours.
(2017-07-05, 09:41)Skank Wrote: Ok...
True
But my friend wont watch netflix 4k through his mediaplayer. He will watch it through. Tv, so its not necessary.
So best choice would be vero 4k then?

I typed this cause hdr will be through netflix only so no more need for hdr.. Then vero is good one?
I would like to buy a new kodi box . At present I have an android box M8. I would like to upgrade as this box won't update to kodi 17 . I have a 5.1 surround sound system I want to get the best out of. I want a really top all round box ( Fast , stable, reliable . Non if any buffeting and prepared to pay for quality)that I will be able to update and not be in this position again. The one issue is how & where I buy this box in the UK after legal rulings earlier this year. I also have an ultra HD TV that I can enjoy the best that a good box has to offer.
MOD EDIT: This is not a device support or setup thread, your post has been transferred HERE
(2017-07-05, 23:10)Zeppman Wrote: I would like to buy a new kodi box . At present I have an android box M8. I would like to upgrade as this box won't update to kodi 17 . I have a 5.1 surround sound system I want to get the best out of. I want a really top all round box ( Fast , stable, reliable . Non if any buffeting and prepared to pay for quality)that I will be able to update and not be in this position again. The one issue is how & where I buy this box in the UK after legal rulings earlier this year. I also have an ultra HD TV that I can enjoy the best that a good box has to offer.
Your M8 very likely has a AMLogic Chipset in it that is still very capable. You can run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton from a microSDHC card on it.

Find out which chipset you have and visit the AMLogic LibreELEC forum

This post lists the no nonsense mainly Kodi only boxes, that are optimised for (non-HDR) 1080p/4K Kodi use:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

(2017-07-05, 22:25)Skank Wrote: I typed this cause hdr will be through netflix only so no more need for hdr.. Then vero is good one?

Yes.

(2017-07-04, 22:28)Skank Wrote: I read that shield has issues
What issues?

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através de Tapatalk
OK very confusing, I feel I've woken from a coma and don't understand the language. Obviously I'm a newbie to this world and not sure on what option I should go for? I'm currently using T-box running through my analogue TV for TV shows and recording. I would like to be able to stream movies off my hard drive and else where, with the potential to stream Live sports. ie Basketball and world games.
What kind of games can these be used for too? my boys are getting older and I feel I need to be ahead of the game... if I can...
from the list below what is my best option is my first question and my second is where can I buy it from and be sure it will have the support of kodi for times when I forget the language and it all stops working and my family turns to me and screams DAD!!

WeTek devices - Core / Hub / Play2 - come packaged with WeTek Media Player - WeTek's optimised version of Kodi Jarvis 16.1
MINIX U1 - comes packaged with XBMC for MINIX - again a version of Kodi Jarvis 16.1
Zidoo X9S- comes packaged with ZDMC - a version of Kodi Jarvis 16.1 for use with a custom external video player App.
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro - a pre-installed Android wrapper App has to be run first to enable Kodi to then use an external video player App.
nVIDIA Shield - simply download Kodi Jarvis 16.1 from the Google Play Store. SPMC preferred and highly recommended.
Amazon FireTV's - download MrMC from the Amazon Apps Store - MrMC is a version of Kodi Jarvis 16.1
( it has some limitations however with Skins and Addons, but is well supported)
Apple TV4 - download MrMC from the Apps Store - MrMC (same limitations as above)
Intel Boxes running Windows 10 - download Kodi from the Microsoft Store.

Cheers
As soon as you mention Newbie & family use, especially if you want WAF - you really should be running the Android TV OS - simply because it is a LOT easier to use with a simple Wireless Voice remote when interacting with Apps on a TV screen.

Android TV options:

https://www.android.com/intl/en_au/tv/

- the big daddy - King of Android Boxes - the nVIDIA Shield - good for some light gaming as well. Even comes with a games controller.
- the gets the job done - cheap Xiaomi Mi Box - better just as a video streaming box, so long as you have good Home WiFi.

nVIDIA Shield from Amazon or the nVIDIA Online Store.
Mi Box from Walmart USA or from these Links

(2017-07-07, 08:18)wrxtasy Wrote: As soon as you mention Newbie & family use, especially if you want WAF - you really should be running the Android TV OS - simply because it is a LOT easier to use with a simple Wireless Voice remote when interacting with Apps on a TV screen.

Android TV options:

https://www.android.com/intl/en_au/tv/

- the big daddy - King of Android Boxes - the nVIDIA Shield - good for some light gaming as well. Even comes with a games controller.
- the gets the job done - cheap Xiaomi Mi Box - better just as a video streaming box, so long as you have good Home WiFi.

nVIDIA Shield from Amazon or the nVIDIA Online Store.
Mi Box from Walmart USA or from these Links

Useful information Big Grin

What's the 'gets the job done' if you don't have good home WiFi?
Xiaomi Mi Box does not have wired ethernet, only wifi ethernet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-07, 09:35)nickr Wrote: Xiaomi Mi Box does not have wired ethernet, only wifi ethernet.

Hi Nick, I realised that, which is why I asked my question, if my home WiFi is cr@p what is the recommednded box that 'gets the job done' using Ethernet?
(2017-07-07, 09:35)nickr Wrote: Xiaomi Mi Box does not have wired ethernet, only wifi ethernet.

It is possible to add a USB->Ethernet adaptor though isn't it?
(2017-07-07, 10:23)noggin Wrote:

It is possible to add a USB->Ethernet adaptor though isn't it?

I believe it is, but suspect there must be a better value box with it built in
Original Xiaomi USB to RJ45 External Ethernet Card lan Adapter 10/100Mbps

ASIX AX88772 Chipset - USB to Ethernet Adapters such as this cheap (Apple clone) one have been confirmed working on the Mi Box

Other ASIX AX compatible adapters listed HERE and HERE

• 117(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28