• 118(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Other than that the nVidia Shield TV is a very capable mediaplayer, it still has some issues. At least, that is what I read from your opening post wrxtasy. Android tv should be great OS for use on the big screen, but not all normal Android apps work on Android tv. I don't know if whosistherealmonkey needs 1080p, or even 4k and 5.1, but would the Minix U9-H not be the better choice? € 100 cheaper than the Shield, normal Android, great support from Minix and no problems with 4k, 5.1, HDR or whatsoever.
Every Android device has issues it just depends on:

a) what connected Audio and Video equiptment you use and
b) how fussy you are about picture quality, particularly 1080p > 4K upscaling for the video purists.
c) which Android Apps are needed and actually work on tablet Android or Android TV.
d) if you need working Kodi PVR's and deinterlacing.

If you wanted Kodi 4K HDR - which in reality is not full sorted out yet on AMLogic Android Marshmallow, even with MINIX Firmware - and Kodi HD Audio - then the U9 would be the tablet Android device to get.
But where is the properly encoded, convenient & easily accessible 4K HDR video content ?
- in 4K Android TV Netflix and Amazon video servers that only the nVIDIA Shield can access.

HDR is nothing more than a media player technical wankfest unless you can get hold of properly encoded HDR content with correct HDR Metadata.

IMHO the actual best bang for the Android buck currently for (non HDR) tablet Android is the hybrid - AML S905 WeTek Play2.

Because it is not just a one trick pony, but can run 3 different OS's easily. vs the U9-H - A bunch more easy to use Android TV Apps work on the HDCP 2.2, DRM, Netflix Approved - Play2. Even when using the tablet Android OS. Play2 downside, no Wireless remote.

For me, Netflix 4k would not be an issue, as my LG C7 has a 4k HDR Netflix app build in. It works pretty well I must say. I might like the layout of Android Netflix a bit more, but this WebOS Netflix works pretty good out of the box.
For my bedroom tv a mediaplayer with 1080p Netflix and 1080p Kodi and stereo output would suffice. This would mean a WeTek, I think.
For my 4k livingroom tv it will be (a) waiting for Kodi to compile a WebOS 3.5 compatible Kodi, or (b) by a Minix U9 to have 1080p / 2160p (when available) and 5.1 Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA.
These are the Android Kodi Media Players that support the IEC61937 - (HD) Audio passthrough standard used in Android Kodi Krypton:

Welcome to Android MediaCodec standards

- nVIDIA Shield
- Xiaomi Mi Box
- WeTek Hub & Play2
- MINIX U9

Thank you WRXTASY!
that is very helpful.

So now the next dilemma is the Shield 16GB or the Shield Pro 500GB.

With Streaming and having my hard drive separate, for movies, music and other data. Will the 16GB be enough or will that be used in no time?

Then following that do I just download the KODI software, and any other apps I desire? Do these add up to the GB content?

Cheers
Unless you plan on extensively utilizing the gaming capabilities of the shield or storing media locally then the 16GB one should be more than enough, the only caveat to this would be if you plan on using the shield has a PVR and storing recordings locally in the future.
You can use an external HDD for that, that can be bigger than 500 GB. I would go for the 16 GB one.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
Ok thank you, That was where I was thinking.
Budget s912 devices litke the KM8-Pro, BB2 and some others manufactured by VideoStrong work with full passthrough capabilites if you flash the RikoMagic MK22 Android 7.1 firmware and a custom update (available on 4pda.ru). I've only flashed it to a KM8-Pro but a number of their boxes use the same PCB and should work as well.
(2017-07-11, 00:38)Rousseau Wrote: Budget s912 devices litke the KM8-Pro, BB2 and some others manufactured by VideoStrong work with full passthrough capabilites if you flash the RikoMagic MK22 Android 7.1 firmware and a custom update (available on 4pda.ru). I've only flashed it to a KM8-Pro but a number of their boxes use the same PCB and should work as well.

Did you even read the FIRST POST of this thread? It clearly states to avoid S912 at all costs...
(2017-07-05, 11:20)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-07-04, 20:06)Skank Wrote: Hi

My friend wants a kodi box.. No 3d needed, but clean kodi with no hassle, so no windows..
Hdaudio is yes, full 4k is also yes., hdr also

Not sure how much clearer I can make it.... Confused

(2017-07-05, 04:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Everyone thinks they want HDR to justify their 4K HDR TV purchase There is no HDR support with OSMC Kodi running on the Vero 4K.

We have some new (experimental) improvements re. HDR.

However as people have said, the number of users with equipment (not to mention lack of content) that can take advantage of this
is minimal at this time.
Looks like the Vero4k might be my next purchase then...
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
Though it is already an older mediaplayer; Minix released a new beta RC version for its Minix Neo X8-H Plus, which was probably the best box you could buy in 2014 / 2015. I have no idea when (or if) the final version will be released, but you could now have the X8-H Plus with Android 5.x Lollipop and therefor use Kodi 17 and higher again. As it is capable of playing HEVC / x265 / h.265 and 8bit 4k and HD audio this will be very good news for everyone who allready owns a Minix Neo X8-H Plus and is looking for a new box. If you do not have a 10 bit 4k HDR tv, you won't have to buy a new one.
(2017-07-11, 03:27)KoopaTroopa Wrote:
(2017-07-11, 00:38)Rousseau Wrote: Budget s912 devices litke the KM8-Pro, BB2 and some others manufactured by VideoStrong work with full passthrough capabilites if you flash the RikoMagic MK22 Android 7.1 firmware and a custom update (available on 4pda.ru). I've only flashed it to a KM8-Pro but a number of their boxes use the same PCB and should work as well.

Did you even read the FIRST POST of this thread? It clearly states to avoid S912 at all costs...

Do you even know why? The lack of passthrough is the primary reason, and if you have a device with the proper firmware as I mentioned, they work fine.
(2017-07-12, 14:49)Rousseau Wrote: Do you even know why?
Yes because Beelink with their GT1, put out rubbish Firmware that never fixes anything, a casual browse of their so called support forum would reveal that:

http://www.bee-link.com/Beelink-forum-88-1.html

Then you have other so called Android boxes that do not even have a working Google Playstore - seriously ?

Newbie potential Android users should not have to put up with the crap coming out of China. It's nothing short of one big Scam the rubbish that is rushed out the door and deceptively advertised to fool New buyers.

Here on the Kodi forum we want something that will at least work semi decent out of the box without users needing to go on a easter egg hunt for Firmware.
Its why all these Ship and Forget AMLogic S912 devices are strictly labelled DIY with plenty of warnings attached.

Kodi is not a forum for providing Android Firmware help and advice. We will not do deceptive Android box sellers work for them.

• 118(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28