• 119(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-07-12, 01:16)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2017-07-05, 11:20)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-07-04, 20:06)Skank Wrote: Hi

My friend wants a kodi box.. No 3d needed, but clean kodi with no hassle, so no windows..
Hdaudio is yes, full 4k is also yes., hdr also

Not sure how much clearer I can make it.... Confused

(2017-07-05, 04:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Everyone thinks they want HDR to justify their 4K HDR TV purchase There is no HDR support with OSMC Kodi running on the Vero 4K.

We have some new (experimental) improvements re. HDR.

However as people have said, the number of users with equipment (not to mention lack of content) that can take advantage of this
is minimal at this time.

Very interesting!
In relation to documenting audio pass through on cheap China android boxes without official audio license. I bought a cheap H96 Pro 3GB DDR3 RAM/ 16GB eMMC ROM with stock Android 6.0. I flashed it to Android 7.1.1 using image:

aml_7.1_s912_q9377-H96PROPLUS_mac-20170422

and I was able to successfully get 7.1 pass through using kodi 17.3 to my Marantz SR7011:

DTS:X - works!
Dolby Atmos - works!
Dolby TrueHD - works!

I'm wondering if others have gotten similar results?

Cheers :Big Grin
Whilst you intentions may be great...

Please take your Firmware support elsewhere

Post over on the Freaktab Website where this stuff belongs.
I will not allow this thread or forum to be turned into a cheap Android Box Firmware support site.

Further Firmware support postings will be deleted. First and last warning for everyone.

This post will give users a clue about what AMLogic Nougat Firmware contains:

Welcome to Android MediaCodec (Audio) standards

Very informative...

Sent from my iPhone
so any more thoughts on the ROCK64 by Pine64? wonder if linux debian with kodi will be of an upgrade to my pi3.
(2017-07-13, 21:13)dr-oopie Wrote: so any more thoughts on the ROCK64 by Pine64? wonder if linux debian with kodi will be of an upgrade to my pi3.

I can assure you that the RPi3 is the better choice for Kodi.
Or an odroid c2
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-13, 22:51)Jdiesel Wrote:
(2017-07-13, 21:13)dr-oopie Wrote: so any more thoughts on the ROCK64 by Pine64? wonder if linux debian with kodi will be of an upgrade to my pi3.

i am loving the pi3 but the kids watch these animes in hi10 or 10bit is what the files says that cant play on the pi3. that is my only reason to upgrade and just for that feature i didnt wanna spend money. i also have an smart tv running android os which also cant play these files. thought maybe that new rock64 could.
(2017-07-14, 04:56)dr-oopie Wrote: i am loving the pi3 but the kids watch these animes in hi10 or 10bit is what the files says that cant play on the pi3. that is my only reason to upgrade and just for that feature i didnt wanna spend money. i also have an smart tv running android os which also cant play these files. thought maybe that new rock64 could.
You would get more up to date information from the actual ROCK64 Community forum where you can ask users directly about Kodi and Hi10P aka 10bit Anime:

https://forum.pine64.org/

At a minimum you would be looking at a ASUS (Intel) Chromebox to Software decode Hi10P Anime. There is no Hardware decoding of that exotic compression format possible with any degree of reliability.

(2017-07-13, 22:51)Jdiesel Wrote:

Can you please provide some evidence to support your theory? The specifications suggest the ROCK64 is the superior device.

ROCK64 vs Raspberry PI3

H.264 or H.265/main/main10 (10bit) 4k@60Hz vs H.264 1080@30Hz
USB3 vs USB2
1Gbps Ethernet vs 100Mbps

HDR10 vs ? (not currently supported in Kodi anyway)
upto 4GB RAM (1, 2 or 4) vs 1GB
eMMC & SD Card vs SD card only

quick edit: The ROCK64 uses DDR3@1600 vs .RPi3 DDR2@900 RAM.

I keen to replace my Pi3 with 'something' that has H.265 support and the ROCK64 is ticking a lot of boxes.
STOP looking at tech Specs - you need kernel, driver and lots of software support before any box is even capable of running Kodi at all.
Tech specs alone are not going to magically make a device perform like a Kodi demon.

Do not confuse 10bit HEVC with Hi10P/10bit Anime. They are not the same.

At the budget end of the 4K HEVC (H.265) Kodi market the AML S905's have cleaned up, running a really good, well supported version of LibreELEC Kodi.
1GB AML S905X boxes running LibreELEC Kodi from eMMC Flash Storage are snappy little numbers - even for 4K HEVC streaming.

They play anything apart from that stupid, exotic Hi10P compression format, which no one supports.

Agreed with you. Good specs don't automaticaly give good usage if there is no support.

for Rock64 ( Rockchip RK3328 ) I saw some patches for ffmpeg
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel...12339.html

This could be a first step for a better support in Kodi ( or not) ?
This thread is really nice...
Guys Kaby Lake Intel doesn't do 3D either unless it works under that special KODI built MVC. I didn't try that. I tried native and I tried PowerDVD 17 and I felt like my eyeballs were being ripped out of my sockets. The levels are all wrong. I don't know how else to describe it. Fortunately Amazon took my $700 worth of Beebox hardware back - my Qmedia Q5 Pro at $135 is a much more satisfying device than the current state of Kaby Lake.
(2017-07-14, 06:06)wrxtasy Wrote: STOP looking at tech Specs - you need kernel, driver and lots of software support before any box is even capable of running Kodi at all.
Tech specs alone are not going to magically make a device perform like a Kodi demon.

Do not confuse 10bit HEVC with Hi10P/10bit Anime. They are not the same.

At the budget end of the 4K HEVC (H.265) Kodi market the AML S905's have cleaned up, running a really good, well supported version of LibreELEC Kodi.
1GB AML S905X boxes running LibreELEC Kodi from eMMC Flash Storage are snappy little numbers - even for 4K HEVC streaming.

They play anything apart from that stupid, exotic Hi10P compression format, which no one supports.

do you have a link you can pm me for one of these boxes?
  • 119(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28