• 121(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-07-18, 16:36)Moebius01 Wrote: So if I take a browser out of the equation (mis-read in my initial search and thought Chromium would run on it), where does that point me? I've got an HDMI cable I run on demand from my main PC to the theater, was just trying to eliminate that need, but I'd rather keep using that approach to go with a compact and easy Kodi box. Same with 3D (which I added in an edit).

Please re-read Post No.1 of this thread again. There are a bunch of Frame Packed 1080p 3D specific devices in that.

99% of normal Kodi devices will do Half resolution Top/Bottom / HSBS 3D.

You need Ethernet for 4K video streaming reliability.

If you want a Hands off box that does 1080p/4K Auto Resolution switching for optimal picture quality on a 4K TV then avoid Android all together.
Otherwise be prepared to fiddle with settings.

Already given some - 4K / HD Audio media player options in this post:
AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

Be aware ARM devices running from a microSDHC card / eMMC will not be as lightning quick as a full blown PC with Top Spec SSD storage.
They are by no means slow at all. You are not paying much in comparison anyway.

Ah, I missed the 3D stuff in the first post the first time around. Again, a less than critical. So back to basics, if I'm reading right, Odroid C2 running libreelec would get me the 1080p/4k with bitstreaming to allow Atmos passthrough. I'd lose web browser support, and 3d support, but those are lower priorities. At that point, the only other thing I haven't been able to wrap my head around is the Cinemavision add-on, specifically around the home automation pieces. Do you know if running on the C2 would limit the capability of URL endpoint calls to send commands to a SmartThings hub?
I have no idea about Cinemavision add-on or even if it is a Hardware platform specific Addon. Like needing an Intel Kernel for comprehensive driver support if external hardware needs connecting to the box.

All those AMLogic / Android devices run a relatively old Linux Kernel that will not have the connectivity of say an Intel Box or RPi. Those AML / Android boxes are more pure media players - do not try and get to clever with them.

You could buy a device capable of dual booting if you need a browser, running Android (or Windows or full blown Linux) for the times you need a browser and LE the rest of the time.
Ok, for someone completely new to Kodi, that wants TV and the ability to use iPlay, what Box on Amazon would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone
If iPlay is this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iplay-mu...80578?mt=8

You can only use it on an Apple iPhone/iPad. You may be able to Airplay music to an Airplay Audio receiver and for ultra reliability with that you need an Apple TV.
There is some Airplay Audio support built into Kodi but it breaks often when Apple do an iOS update because its a reverse engineered hack.

(2017-07-20, 10:06)wrxtasy Wrote: If iPlay is this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iplay-mu...80578?mt=8

You can only use it on an Apple iPhone/iPad. You may be able to Airplay music to an Airplay Audio receiver and for ultra reliability with that you need an Apple TV.
There is some Airplay Audio support built into Kodi but it breaks often when Apple do an iOS update because its a reverse engineered hack.

[emoji1303]
The Apple TV4 can run a fork (aka alternate version) of Kodi called: MrMC:

https://mrmc.tv/

Thank you!!
I'm looking for a device under €50.
Ability to deinterlace TV properly is essential as it'll be used for live TV with the VU+ PVR add-on (to stream from Enigma2 satellite receiver).
4K is of no addition, 1080p x264 is the highest it needs to support (1080p x265 compatibility would be a nice addition but a better running box is more important)

Under €50, all I can find are:
- Raspberry Pi 3
- Amazon Fire Stick
- S905x boxes

Which of these would be most suitable?
Forget about the Amazon Fire Stick - lousy broken deinterlacing and a PITA Kodi install and updating.

So either the RPi3 or these will do the job poperly:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

The AML S905's will give you high quality Advanced Motion Adaptive hardware deinterlacing and be faster than an RPi3 especially if LibreELEC is flashed to fast eMMC storage.

I'm looking for a new box:

I've read a lot of these posts, some good info including page one with the July 2017 update. I still have no idea what to buy. Every site has a different box as "the best" so i figured I'd come on here and tell you what I am using it for to narrow it down. I currently have the Matricom G-Box Q2 ( I have no clue if it is good or not) I feel like the box is slow but since this is my one and only, I don't know what fast or slow is.

My uses:
Stream 1080p and 4K movies and TV shows from different addons through Kodi. I do not surf the web, play games, or anything else besides watch movies and TV. My internet speed is 100mbps.

What box is best for me?

I was looking at the Minix but there is 7 different boxes just on their website........
Try one of the LibreELEC-S8X2.arm-8.0.2b images from here:

S802/S812-Libreelec images for 7/8/x

All support here over on that forum pls.

Otherwise click the S905(x) link above - VERY regularly posted in this thread now Wink

(2017-07-20, 19:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Try one of the LibreELEC-S8X2.arm-8.0.2b images from here:

S802/S812-Libreelec images for 7/8/x

All support here over on that forum pls.

Otherwise click the S905(x) link above - VERY regularly posted in this thread now Wink

I have an HDR compatible TV, does this make a difference? The only box I seen that mentioned HDR is the Minix NEO U9-H
Q. I need HDR10 and 4K video playback support ?
NOTE: AMLogic OSMC or LibreELEC Kodi HDR video output does not work properly - yet - getting close.
Have you got all your HDR10 hardware ducks in a row ?
Cut through the Marketing B.S. and read what is required and where to get properly encoded HDR content in this post.
  • MINIX U9
  • nVIDIA Shield (Netflix HDR & Amazon HDR)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box
  • HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro
  • Zidoo X9S
  • The DIY Intel - Win10 / NVIDIA GTX 960 graphics card solution.
  • Various cheap AMLogic S905X devices running Android.

Good luck on your HDR hunt for properly encoded 4K HDR content. You really are better of using HDR streaming Apps on your TV.

• 121(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28