• 123(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I'm confused Sad I was informed that we need a box bigger than 4k to run kodi 17.3 krypton. Is this so ?
***** START HERE - Kodi Krypton problems - and common Android FAQ's with Help *****

THIS IS NOT A BANNED KODI ADDON OR SOFTWARE SUPPORT THREAD

(2017-07-25, 19:47)Clara64 Wrote: I'm confused Sad I was informed that we need a box bigger than 4k to run kodi 17.3 krypton. Is this so ?

No. Search, read and learn instead of listening to someone who apparently hasn't got a clue Wink
MiBox running KODI app (latest)
Synology DS215+ - 8+6 TB | Synology DS211 - 4+4 TB - No RAID | Homebrew server Ubuntu server - 10 TB - LVM | Ubuntu Server 18.04.01 -10 TB - RAID5
Philips 50PFK5300 | Sony HT-XT100 Soundplate
Scanning my media with MediaElch
@wrxtasy, some suggested updates to your original poost, including mentioning of the new Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 and also change the phrase "Intel hardware" to Intel x86-64 computer" in order to make that a little more clear, as well as some other small stuff, all changes marked with italic text.

Q. Fastest - Appliance like - pure - Kodi boxes booting straight into LibreELEC Kodi or OSMC Kodi
(Highly recommended for those needing Kodi only)
  • Intel x86-64 computer, including the Chromebox, (with GeForce GTX 960 or later Nvidia graphics card solution if need 4K too).
  • ASUS Chromebox

Q. I like to do a bit of DIY and don't mind getting my hands a little bit dirty and learning something in the process ?
(all devices running LibreELEC Kodi, unless noted)
  • Intel x86-64 computer
  • ASUS Chromebox

Q. What about devices for up to 4K HEVC (H.265) video playback over HDMI 2.0 to my non HDR capable 4K TV ?
NOTE: 99% of devices running the Android OS cannot Automatically Resolution Switch from 1080p to 4K like you will get with other non-Android Kodi devices.
Demanding potential NVIDIA Shield owners would be advised to read this upscaling thread
Sharper video is produced when upscaling SD/HD video to 4K using a 4K TV's upscaling Hardware, instead of the media players.
  • Any x86-64 computer with with a GeForce GTX 960 or later Nvidia graphics card solution, preferably GeForce GT 1030 or better.
  • Intel x86-64 computer with Apollo Lake or Kaby Lake CPU with integrated graphics (users still need to check for Displayport > HDMI 2.0 adapter issues)

Q. I need HDR10 and 4K video playback support ?
NOTE: AMLogic OSMC or LibreELEC Kodi HDR video output does not work properly - yet - getting close.
Have you got all your HDR10 hardware ducks in a row ?
Cut through the Marketing B.S. and read what is required and where to get properly encoded HDR content in this post.
  • The DIY Intel - with Windows 10 and GeForce GTX 960 or later Nvidia graphics card solution, preferably GeForce GT 1030 or better.

Q. I don't care about price, I want versatile Audio & Video playback in a fast, powerful Kodi media player ?
  • Intel x86-64 computer with with a GeForce GTX 960 or later Nvidia graphics card solution, preferably GeForce GT 1030 or better.
  • Intel I series NUC's & Apple Macs (Apollo Lake or Kaby Lake CPU with integrated graphics - beware HDMI 2.0 adapter issues)

Q. I need full HD Audio passthrough support including Multichannel (>2.0) PCM output of 16/24bit/192kHz FLAC ?
(NOTE: all devices using an Android OS have 16bit Multichannel 48/96kHz PCM Audio output limitations)
Read NVIDIA Shield - Multichannel Hi-Res audio limitations for extra information.
** Be aware HDMI only supports 24bit audio NOT 32bit **
  • Intel x86-64 computers, inc. Macs running Windows.(24bit/192kHz except Apollo/Kaby Lake)

Q. I need a device with proper video deinterlacing for Over the Air (OTA) TV streaming from my HD Homerun or PVR server ?
NOTE: Major Deinterlacing issues with some Krypton PVR Clients have been widely reported on ALL Android devices (click)
Ordered from best deinterlacing picture output quality to the worst. In reality the Intel, AMLogic and RPi's will be the most reliable.
  • Intel x86-64 computers

Q. I need a Kodi box that can play 1080p or 4K DRM copy protected video streams such as Netflix, HBO etc. ?
NOTE: 2.0 Audio only from DD+ DRM streaming Apps running on Android TV platforms, unless you have a DD+ connected Audio receiver.
1080p/4K Android Netflix is only possible on media players boxes that are Netflix Approved.
  • Intel x86-64 computers with GeForce GT 1030 or later Nvidia graphics card solution running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser
(2017-07-25, 19:47)Clara64 Wrote: I'm confused Sad I was informed that we need a box bigger than 4k to run kodi 17.3 krypton. Is this so ?
Maybe you heard that you will need a box with a later version than Android 4.x? If so then that is true for as far as it comes to the Android version.

See Kodi wiki FAQ for Android => http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_FAQ#Requirements

You do need a box with Android 5.0 or later version for Kodi v17 (Krypton).

To also playback 4K (Ultra HD) Netflix then you also need a box certified by Netflix. Not many Android boxes are 4K Netflix cerified so far.

See the list on Netflix site => https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Nvidia Shield TV, Xiaomi Mi Box (international version), and the (new) Amazon Fire TV are almost alone among the few boxes certified for 4K Netflix so far.
@Rocker C, thx for that.

Yes the START HERE Post needed some Intel input. Smile

Android - WeTek Hub & Play2 are also 4K Netflix certified Hardware. 4K Android TV Netflix works out of the box.

(2017-07-28, 10:00)wrxtasy Wrote: @Rocker C, thx for that.

You might even want to write "Intel and AMD x86-64 computers" as AMD is still a good CPU as long as you also have a Nvidia GeForce GPU/card as well in that same computer. That is, do not discriminate based on CPU but only on GPU, because it is the GPU that contain the VPU Wink

(2017-07-28, 10:00)wrxtasy Wrote: Android - WeTek Hub & Play2 are also 4K Netflix certified Hardware. 4K Android TV Netflix works out of the box.
Maybe off-topic for this thread. but are you sure that they are 4K ("Ultra HD") certified by Netflix? They are not listed on their sites https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444 or https://devices.netflix.com/en/ ...however then again, Xiaomi Mi Box is not listed here either and it is even developed in official partnership with Google, see => https://www.android.com/tv/xiaomi-mi-box/

I know that Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and have Google's later Widevine Level 1 DRM certificates (most devices only come with Widevine Level 3 DRM certificates) , but even if it meets those software requirements and all the hardware requirements, Netflix still also has to get around to actually testing the device and adding it to their certified list of devices as well for the device to get the Netflix certificate too, and there is where it gets complexed, see => http://androidpcreview.com/netflix-hd-an...-box/3784/

You can check Widevine DRM support with DRM Info app https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ng.drminfo but checking Netflix certificate is more complicated. I know that the WeTek boxes do come with Widevine Level 1 DRM certificate support, but have they also been certified by Netflix? And if so why are their devices and Xiaomi Mi Box not listed on Netflix own sites?

PS: Another FYI that is deffinitly off-topic is that Netflix have confirmed that it is activly blocking all rooted/unlocked Andoid devices from getting updates via Google Play Store, and one can assume that this might lead to Netflix later also blocking playback on those Android devices, or maybe just move to blocking playback of HD and 4K on modified Android devices. See => http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/13/...rking-now/
(2017-07-28, 11:09)RockerC Wrote:
(2017-07-28, 10:00)wrxtasy Wrote: @Rocker C, thx for that.

You might even want to write "Intel and AMD x86-64 computers" as AMD is still a good CPU as long as you also have a Nvidia GeForce GPU/card as well in that same computer. That is, do not discriminate based on CPU but only on GPU, because it is the GPU that contain the VPU Wink

Yes I've done a re-organization so Newbs can concentrate on media player features they are most interested in.

(2017-07-28, 11:09)RockerC Wrote:
(2017-07-28, 10:00)wrxtasy Wrote: Android - WeTek Hub & Play2 are also 4K Netflix certified Hardware. 4K Android TV Netflix works out of the box.
Maybe off-topic for this thread. but are you sure that they are 4K ("Ultra HD") certified by Netflix? They are not listed on their sites https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444 or https://devices.netflix.com/en/ ...however then again, Xiaomi Mi Box is not listed here either and it is even developed in official partnership with Google, see => https://www.android.com/tv/xiaomi-mi-box/

I believe all you need for 4K Netflix is Android Marshmallow, HDCP 2.2, Widevine Level 1 and Netflix's "Blessing". As proven by WeTek's Hub and Play2. Yes WeTek's Core, Hub & Play2 are officially Netflix certified.

(2017-07-28, 11:55)wrxtasy Wrote: I've done a re-organization so Newbs can concentrate on media player features they are most interested in.
I would argue that GeForce GT 1030 should also be added to "most bang for the buck" section too if user already have a PC to upgrade or am willing to buy an compatible old used PC cheap.

Almost any PC made in the 10-years can be upgraded with GeForce GT 1030 to become a 4K and High Def capable HTPC. Only need a PC with a PCIe x16 slot. Classifieds ads to the rescue.

EDIT: If MINIX U1 is listed in that "most bang for the buck" section section as an Android TV box then Xiaomi Mi Box should probably be too, as it to support 4K and has newer Android version.
Lets get some testing under the GeForce GT 1030 belt before we start awarding it with titles, especially Hardware decode testing with Linux/LibreELEC. Not everyone wants to run Windows 10 on old HTPC Hardware just to get video decoding working.

Yes the Mi Box is good value for entry level Kodi, but for a 4K media player its missing - Ethernet, Kodi dynamic refresh switching, proper deinterlacing, legacy decode support for VC-1. And like 99% of 4K Android Krypton Boxes has no auto 1080p/4K resolution switching and broken TvHeadend support - which is the most popular free Kodi PVR. Yes I'm a hard marker.

Plus you have to deal with Android OS limitations that annoyingly get in the way of using Kodi.

At least with the MINIX U1 you can run an additional Kick Ass OS like LibreELEC Kodi Krypton where all the above is working. After all we are "Picking the right Kodi box" - all the Android stuff really can be considered "extras" in that context.

(2017-07-28, 20:03)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes the Mi Box is good value for entry level Kodi, but for a 4K media player its missing - Ethernet, Kodi dynamic refresh switching, proper deinterlacing, legacy decode support for VC-1. And like 99% of 4K Android Krypton Boxes has no auto 1080p/4K resolution switching and broken TvHeadend support - which is the most popular free Kodi PVR. Yes I'm a hard marker.

Plus you have to deal with Android OS limitations that annoyingly get in the way of using Kodi.

At least with the MINIX U1 you can run an additional Kick Ass OS like LibreELEC Kodi Krypton where all the above is working. After all we are "Picking the right Kodi box" - all the Android stuff really can be considered "extras" in that context.
So maybe then specifically list "MINIX U1 with LibreELEC or similar Linux OS (not Android OS)"?

Maybe also list those requirements for high-end 4K with HDR. That is, hard marker should be mentioned.

Otherwise people will get the impression that Android OS is now up to snuff for high-end 4K with HDR.

Anyway, I got the the impression you meant Android OS too MINIX U1 comes installed with Android.
I am not going to dilute Post #1 with:

(a) too much detailed info.
(b) completely untested hardware.
© bleeding edge HDR stuff - when there is bugger all properly encoded, easily accessible HDR content available anyway.
Outside of Android TV - 4K HDR Netflix and Amazon Video streaming.

If someone wants to produce a comprehensive DIY thread with High End 4K HDR equiptment and does comprehensive testing then I will link to it.

Its called keeping it simple.

For 4K LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, try finding quality silent hardware that has working 2x2 MIMO AC WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, proven 10bit 4K HEVC decode capable, proper thermal management and comes optioned with a quality integrated Wireless Air Mouse Mini Keyboard remote.
Then you still get to Dual Boot into decent Android Firmware. That's why the U1 makes the grade.

(2017-07-28, 15:33)RockerC Wrote: I would argue that GeForce GT 1030 should also be added to "most bang for the buck" section too if user already have a PC to upgrade or am willing to buy an compatible old used PC cheap.

Almost any PC made in the 10-years can be upgraded with GeForce GT 1030 to become a 4K and High Def capable HTPC. Only need a PC with a PCIe x16 slot. Classifieds ads to the rescue.

Although I am not suggesting or recommending it, I have an older pc running ubuntu mate with a GeForce 1050 and it works pretty good with Kodi. However, I purchased the card for the ffmpeg hevc_nvenc encoder. The pascal based GeForce 1050 can do two files at a time and although it does not produce the same quality as handbrake using cpu x265 encoding, x265 encoding is not practical on my system. I read somewhere that in the future Kodi development will not have the same Nvidia support for these cards as it does now. I am not sure of the details.
Hi guys,

can you please recommend. I need a device which supports:

- KODI of course
- HD bitstreaming through HDMI (no Dolby Atmos needed, only DTS-MA and TrueHD streaming)
- No network streaming needed, only want to connect a 2gb external HDD from WD
- 4k NOT needed, only 1080p
- Only need .m2ts, .iso and .mkv playback (no Blu Ray menu support needed)
Don't dream your life, live your dream
Q. Best 1080p/4K Bang for the Buck - Kodi only, HD Audio (bitstreaming) device ?
(All running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, unless noted. Easiest to hardest to setup, Wireless remote purchase recommended)
  • Vero 4K (OSMC)
  • ODROID C2 / WeTek Hub & Play2
  • MINIX U1
  • Various cheap AMLogic S905(X) devices.
  • Lots of Extra info in this POST

• 123(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28