• 125(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
You do not need VPN. Why would you? Are you intending to do something illegal on your C2?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-08-09, 20:30)etrin Wrote: I just ordered an ODROID C2 after reading all the comments here.
I wanted to ask one thing about the LibreELEC Jarvis for the 2160p 10bit HEVC AMLogic S905 ODROID C2
All I am hearing is VPN you have to have VPN on your kodi box.
Does this support the vpn built into kodi ?
I also have a pureVPN account and found out I can put it on 5 devices...will it work on the ODROID with this os?
VPN are not needed normally for local home networked streaming or even streaming from within a persons own country.
VPN's can be used legitimately to bypass Geo restrictions.

There is an OpenVPN service already packaged into LibreELEC

Apparently (never used myself) this is what LibreELEC users are using to manage LibreELEC VPN services:

Zomboided/service.vpn.manager

Any further help for such services to be asked for over on the LibreELEC forums.

(2017-08-09, 10:08)rondog9 Wrote: Thanks wrxtasy.
Yeah I didn't want to do everything with 1 box just doesn't make sense to me..
Just the last thing is Raspberry Pi3 going to do the job well considering it only has 1gb ram? Also with the 1gb ram on it how futureproof is it with running on libreelec on it.. I know newer libreelec/ kodi would require extra ram? Can you upgrade the ram on raspberry Pi 3 in the future? Or what is the option that I have?

Thank you and sorry for the confusing questions.. The posts doesn't answer these questions so
I am asking here..

The RPi3 is not future proofed. It cannot hardware decode any 720/1080/2160p 10bit HEVC or VP9 for example. No HDR support whatsoever. Let alone HDMI 2.0 or 4K.
A dirt cheap 1GB AMLogic S905x box running LibreELEC Kodi will do all that easily, plus it will be noticeably faster than a RPi3.

That is why I linked to AMLogic S905(x) box options previously.

(2017-08-09, 10:23)marko-mb Wrote: What I want:
- kodi, and option to install google play apps (I will use a TV stream app from out CABLE supplier that requires unrooted system. app: "D3GO")
- android, stable system and stable playback without freezing etc...
- 1080 HD
- digital audio output for my receiver (probably spdif coax (only free leftSmile )
- option to power on and off with IR command (harmony remote) with only one command ! not through menus etc....
- LAN - to stream mkv files x265 and x264 from my NAS
- airmouse and keyb for some youtube and extra apps
- not a must but would be cool: a controller option or option to use smartphone to play and control some games for kids)

thanks!

What you need to work out is does that D3GO app require any DRM like Widewine Level 1 / HDCP - what I mean is, are these copy protected video streams that you have to pay for or is it just regular non protected IPTV App ?

Best Marshmallow Firmware touchscreen/tablet Android OS - Kodi Krypton compatible devices = WeTek Play2 or the MINIX U9.

MINIX U9 comes with a A2/A3 Wireless Air mouse - Keyboard remote vs Play2 that comes with all the proper DRM and HDCP 2.2 certificates in a much more flexible package - you can choose any of 3 OS's. A2/A3 Wireless remotes also works with the Play2 - in fact will be needed to use tablet Apps properly.

Retro Gaming, then Read this post

Quote:(At the time writing this I am using lenovo q180 .. now installed openelec because I had more and more problems with windows in 2 years of use, now openelec keeps freezing. movies showing titles that are no longer on disk, sometimer IR power on and off works sometimes not, so it is time to get rid of it!)

1st question - why are you using OpenELEC ?

All developers but the founding OE guy left OpenELEC and started up LibreELEC - that is where all leading edge development is now taking place.
Suggestion is to drop a X86 .tar LibreELEC 8.x.x update file into the Update folder and reboot.

Hi guys!

Need some advice - I cannot decide on which 4K box I want to buy.
I am switching to a 4K TV (no 3d).
So far i have been using Raspberry Pi3 and the Fire TV Stick 2nd Gen for Kodi / Prime / Netflix.

- I want a smooth and nice Kodi experience
- support for all 1080p, 4K MKV files + all HD Audio formats
- wont need any 3D support
- all my data is on a synology NAS in the network
- I could handle Prime + Netflix on the smart tv itself (the 4K players seem to miss this streaming feature).

So basically I need a decent Kodi box for 4K.
My thoughts: Himedia Q5Pro or Zidoo X9S?
I am ok with some DIY work on setting things up etc.

What would you guys do?
(2017-08-10, 08:32)biochem Wrote: What would you guys do?
I would read first post of this thread, which outlines the best for 4K Kodi only

or 4K Kodi / Prime / Netflix

or 4K Kodi / Netflix

you can't go wrong with the ones listed in the OP
It should also be noted that virtually ALL Android OS devices (excluding FireTV2) do not have the capabilities to 1080p/4K Auto Resolution switch. Important for 1080p > 4K video upscaling picture quality when used with a 4K TV.

Also Avoid Android for anything to do with deinterlaced video content, especially Kodi Krypton PVR's. Simply too many hassles.

If you want a seamless - unrestricted Kodi Krypton media player use LibreELEC or OSMC devices.
These devices also require a LOT less ongoing maintenance as well - some even Autoupdate. Smile

I did read the first post and some research here on the forums ... thats how I came up with those 2 boxes.
Himedia Q5Pro and Zidoo X9S are in fact so similar thats basically not possible to chose from not having experience with any of these.

What do you mean with not capable of auto resolution switch? How does this appear in everyday usage? I am not able to start movie A (1080p) and aftet that movie B (2160p) without having to change something in the settings?
Right now I am on the Pi3 with Libreelec and Kodi everything is fine - but the 4K support...
Thank you for providing this information , very useful to me . Guesskaro
(2017-08-10, 09:36)biochem Wrote: What do you mean with not capable of auto resolution switch? How does this appear in everyday usage? I am not able to start movie A (1080p) and after that movie B (2160p) without having to change something in the settings?
That is exactly what I'm saying - Android is not capable of 1080p/2160p Auto resolution switching.

For optimal Android 1080p/4K picture output on a 4K TV you are going to have to fiddle with settings each and every time - depending on the content you are viewing.
Upscaling Hardware in 4K TV's produces superior 1080p > 4K upscaling picture output quality vs using upscaling hardware in an Android media player.

Please read what 4K TV Android Shield owners complain about.

This all depends on how much you value picture output quality vs hands off media player 1080p/4K convenience.

Why do you need Android for 4K Kodi only anyway - you are only handcuffing yourself IMHO ?

VPN are not needed normally for local home networked streaming or even streaming from within a persons own country.
VPN's can be used legitimately to bypass Geo restrictions.

There is an OpenVPN service already packaged into LibreELEC

Apparently (never used myself) this is what LibreELEC users are using to manage LibreELEC VPN services:

Zomboided/service.vpn.manager

Any further help for such services to be asked for over on the LibreELEC forums.

thanks to everyone.
I am just using kodi to connect to my local nas. I read all the comments on vpn and thought that everyone used it.
Can't wait for saturday when it gets here, something new to play with
(2017-08-10, 10:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Why do you need Android for 4K Kodi only anyway - you are only handcuffing yourself IMHO ?

Thanks for opening my eyes. This is getting complicated.
Right now I am thinking of a two device solution.

Device 1: Kodi
- 4K and 1080p movies on NAS → on a 4K Television
- fully compatible to HEVC, HDR10 and all audio HD formats (DD+ works as well?)
- CEC (I hate multiple remotes)
- a fine working resolution switch

→ Odroid C2 with Libreelec?

Device 2: Netflix, Prime in 4K
- just for streaming Netflix, Prime and two a local media libraries in my country (as this work perfectly with the 2nd Gen Fire TV Stick - but no 4K support)

→ Fire TV 2 Box?

Does this make any sense?
Hi, thanks for the informative post!

I have a 4K HDR TV (58dx902b) and am looking to do it justice. I've currently been plugging in my Windows 10 laptop when using Kodi but I'm looking for a dedicated device that can either stay powered on or boot quickly into Kodi.

I don't have any experience with LibreELEC or OMSC devices and have a couple of questions:
  • Will it be possible to play emulators?
  • Will I be able to connect controllers? I ideally want to connect two Wii U Pro Controllers using a mayflash adaptor.
  • Will I be able to load Aeon Nox SILVO?
(2017-08-10, 20:58)biochem Wrote:
(2017-08-10, 10:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Why do you need Android for 4K Kodi only anyway - you are only handcuffing yourself IMHO ?

Thanks for opening my eyes. This is getting complicated.
Right now I am thinking of a two device solution.

Device 1: Kodi
- 4K and 1080p movies on NAS → on a 4K Television
- fully compatible to HEVC, HDR10 and all audio HD formats (DD+ works as well?)
- CEC (I hate multiple remotes)
- a fine working resolution switch

→ Odroid C2 with Libreelec?

Device 2: Netflix, Prime in 4K
- just for streaming Netflix, Prime and two a local media libraries in my country (as this work perfectly with the 2nd Gen Fire TV Stick - but no 4K support)

→ Fire TV 2 Box?

Does this make any sense?
Personally if you just want 4K HDR Netflix and Prime I would buy a modern 4K TV with those exact Apps already running on the TV. All video upscaling, and correct color space outputs are taken care of by the TV automatically then.

Do not use the smart TV for Kodi, that is where the majority of complaints about smart TV's are about on this forum.

I would not be buying a pretty old FireTV2 because I believe a 4K HDR10 FireTV3 will likely be released sometime soon by Amazon anyway.

The C2 does not do HDR but it does have the best HDMI-CEC control implemented out of all the AMLogic S905(x) boxes. For what very limited HDR content there is available just use the TV's HDR media player until a FireTV3 is released.

Ok thanks - so I am looking into Amlogic S905 SoC devices with the plan for a potential Fire TV3.
While looking after the Odroid C2 I realized after buying a case, eMMC Storage, power supply ... I am at the same price range (or at least close) as the Vero 4K or Wetek Play2.

Does it still make sense to go for the Odroid? Whats your opinion on that?
  • 125(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28