• 134(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-08-28, 20:44)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-08-28, 19:45)hausmanis Wrote: Would the mecool be a better choise than the wetek play2 for libreelec if you ignore the price difference ? or are they equal ?

If you need Gigabit Ethernet, Guaranteed working Dual Band 2.4/5GHz WiFi / Bluetooth, SPDIF and an optional inbuilt working TV Tuner get the S905 WeTek Play2 for LibreELEC.

If you need 100M Ethernet & HDR & VP9 Profile 2 support get the AML S905X MECOOL for LibreELEC. WiFi does not work with the MECOOL with LibreELEC. It's poor 2.4Ghz WiFi only anyway when using Android. The MECOOL should really be considered an Ethernet only box.

For working Bluetooth with LibreELEC you need to add a cheap v4.0 CSR BT USB dongle to the MECOOL.

Pick which features are most important to you.

Thanks, damn already regrett ordering the Wetek, is there any Mecool like s905X boxes with 1000mbit lan ?
S905D MECOOL KI-Pro has Gigabit LAN.

Suggestion do self research on Freaktab Website for Android support with that S905D box. It will run LibreELEC

(2017-08-28, 21:11)wrxtasy Wrote: S905D MECOOL KI-Pro has Gigabit LAN.

Suggestion do self research on Freaktab Website for Android support with that S905D box. It will run LibreELEC

So that runs Libreelec better and with more support like HDR ect than the weetek play ?

Maybe stupid question but isnt the mibox also s905x so that id run libreelec with hdr support to ?

EDIT: After some reasearch on freaktab it seems that the S905 is more stable than the X version, guess il keep the play2 afterall...stability > HDR
wrxtasy can you help me with my question?previous page?
The MECOOL M8S Pro+ does not support dynamic refreshrate with Android TV from what I gather. But how about the future? Are there developments being made for this to happen? Is it able to sync to the display if i set it manually in Android TV or is my only choice LibreElec at the moment?
how u know if a device supports dynamic refresh rate?
Can the Mecool be used as a set top box? (Always on in Kodi or LibreElec)? Will running unofficial ATV allow one to disable sleep mode? Thanks.
(2017-08-28, 22:28)Thormmy Wrote: The MECOOL M8S Pro+ does not support dynamic refreshrate with Android TV from what I gather. But how about the future? Are there developments being made for this to happen? Is it able to sync to the display if i set it manually in Android TV or is my only choice LibreElec at the moment?

(2017-08-28, 22:54)rapart Wrote: how u know if a device supports dynamic refresh rate?

NVIDIA Shield supports Android TV - Kodi Krypton / Plex dynamic refresh switching as does MINIX U9 and WeTek Hub / Play2...

And then Answers already given in..

Post #1987

It's pretty simply guys - if you want ALL Kodi Krypton features to work properly in cheap hardware, buy a AMLogic S905 / S905X / S905D that can run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

(2017-08-28, 20:53)rapart Wrote: So for wifi,hd audio,HDR,maybe ethernet(not my priority) mostly for kodi use and libreelecwith dynamic refresh switch ?Whats the choices?can i get sth better from mi box?

No LibreELEC available on the Mi Box - and there never will be I believe.

The Mi Box will meet your other requirements apart from broken Kodi dynamic refresh switching.
I would not use it for 4K Kodi video streaming either - for that you really need an Ethernet connected 4K LibreELEC box.
Do NOT use it for Kodi Krypton TvHeadend PVR use either or rare H264 VC-1 Bluray Rips.
4K Netflix over 5GHz N or AC WiFi works well on the Mi Box because the video streaming bitrates are not too high.

As for LibreELEC / OSMC boxes with known working AC WiFi re-read...
Post # 1994

AMLogic HDR dual boot boxes = S905X and the S905D MECOOL mentioned previously above. DO NOT buy the AMLogic S912 for LibreELEC.

**Beware - there are NO guarantees WiFi will work with LibreELEC in cheap AMLogic S905(x) devices unless there are Linux WiFi drivers available. Do careful self research on the LibreELEC AMLogic Sub-forum. This is why these devices are cheap and DIY.

AMLogic S9xx boxes running Android Nougat Firmware will have the Google IEC61937 HD Audio support now required by Android Kodi Krypton.
That HD Audio support is also in Android Marshmallow Firmware in the MINIX U9, WeTek Hub / Play2, Xiaomi Mi Box and Nougat Firmware on the Shield.

Notice how the NVIDIA Shield, MINIX and WeTek devices keep getting repeated over and over - they are the ones with decent Android Firmware that allows most Android Kodi Krypton features to work properly - that is why you pay more.
Having said that WeTek's devices now need @Ricardo's easy to flash ATV ROM's / Android OS patches to get them to really work smoothly.

(2017-08-29, 04:17)hawkigrad Wrote: Can the Mecool be used as a set top box? (Always on in Kodi or LibreElec)? Will running unofficial ATV allow one to disable sleep mode? Thanks.
Yes so long as you also turn off the HDMI-CEC shutdown option, so the box always stays awake when you switch the TV OFF.

I know ive been asking questions that might seem stupid to you and lazy but what i dont get is, why do people recomend people to buy s905 hardware when from what your saying now
AFTER i bought my s905 is that the s905x can do everything as good as the s905 but also supports HDR (atleast in the future with software updates)
did i understand this correctly or is there any drawbacks with the s905x compared to the s905?

I just want to buy the best libreelec box available and dont care about the money at all since im so tierd of switching boxes, i dont care about android since most of my media will run with eighter libreelec or apps from my smart tv, then il go whatever android box for other apps.
A few reasons perhaps:

* s905 does GigE
* Odroid C2 (s905) is capable of overclocking
* Odroid C2 has pretty mature LibreELEC implementation.
* HDR isn't a huge aspect of buying decisions given there is not a lot of HDR source material at present.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
ah okey so there is no s905x box with gige ?
Not as for as I know. Whether that matters in practice is extremely doubtful.

EDIT: I think the SoC that we seek is the s905D

https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/10/...s912-socs/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-08-28, 21:11)wrxtasy Wrote: S905D MECOOL KI-Pro has Gigabit LAN.

The trouble with becoming a Tech Specs Bloodhound is that you neglect the all important ongoing Firmware and Software support required.

LibreELEC / OSMC Kodi Krypton only: (price not considered)

4K video streaming reliability = using Ethernet only.

The Best S905 box (has Gigabit LAN but no HDR, no VP9) out on the market is the ODROID C2, because it has superior HDMI-CEC, and can be overclocked safely if you really want to extract that little bit extra. Being LibreELEC reference Hardware makes it real easy to get LE up and running as well. Not much DIY needed at all really. Flash SD/eMMC, Plug in power up and add a Wireless remote, hide it in a TV cabinet. Job done.

The LibreELEC reference hardware S905 WeTek Hub / Play2 are just as easy to get up and running.

The Best S905X box (100M Lan) out in the market is the Vero 4K because OSMC (Kodi Krypton) is already running from internal fast eMMC flash storage, plus you already have known working AC WiFi and an integrated Wireless mini remote. No DIY research necessary. It just works when you Plug it in. People are willing to pay for that.
The OSMC developers as well, know what they are doing and you get great ongoing Software support.

The only combo of the S905, Gigabit Lan and S905X HDR & VP9 + a TV Tuner appears to be the S905D. You would have to do your own research over on the LibreELEC AMLogic Subforum to see how that runs with LibreELEC. DIY required - which some people love doing.

HDR support in S905X LibreELEC or OSMC is what I would call still being in the Beta testing phase anyway.

As @nickr said, there is stuff all 4K HDR content unless shooting yourself. You cannot self rip 4K UHD Blurays. Content found out in the wild usually are "best guess" 4K HDR metadata hacked or screen captured Bluray - in the order of 60-100GB worth of data. You could always watch 4K HDR test clips on a continual loop. Wink

4K HDR capable tech Specs sure make for great stuff to put in a marketing brochure tho !

Most people would very likely just want to use 4K HDR Netflix or 4K HDR Amazon Video Apps - simply for the convenience factor alone - on modern 4K HDR TV's which usually have those Apps packaged in anyway.

Here are some raw number for you if you are a benchmark Bloodhound:

AMLogic S905 vs S905X Benchmarks Comparison

Honestly day to day you would be very hard to tell the performance difference between a S905, S905X or S905D.

If the S912 ran LibreELEC properly, that would be the device to buy. There you do notice snappier day to day performance.
The S912 MINIX U9 is pretty nice if you do not need dual boot LibreELEC or TV Tuners.

(2017-08-29, 08:58)nickr Wrote: A few reasons perhaps:

* s905 does GigE
* Odroid C2 (s905) is capable of overclocking
* Odroid C2 has pretty mature LibreELEC implementation.
* HDR isn't a huge aspect of buying decisions given there is not a lot of HDR source material at present.

But, what's the position of Khadas Vim in relation to Odroid?
I ask this, because khadas is cheaper, and already comes with 2gb/16gb, and has a promising ability of dual booting several OS. At the moment é there is Android Nougat/Ubuntu in emmc while Libreelec in sdcard. The disadvantage from what I was aware is that development in Khadas is in very low speed. I think Libreville version in one from January this year, for example. Of course there's no auto update libreelec like in Odroid, but I always ask myself it it is just a matter of time...
Khadas is accessible in Gearbest, while Odroid for my country, Portugal, must come from sites where I'm sure i will have to pay taxes, and that means months retained in customs...
At the moment, I'm playing around with a Beelink GT1 that's not mine, just for Android TV, while I try to decide which box should I buy for me.
I have to admit, that for LE I know that Wetek Play 2, Minix U1 or Odroid are very good, but I'm not convinced about the price. If these last are only for LE, than a Khadas Vim is a very good cheaper alternative, and just a little more expensive than Mecool M8S Pro+. And khadas has at least the chance of having Android and LE future development! I think...

So in conclusion, I'm undecided between Wetek play 2, Khadas, Odroid C2 and Mecool M8S Pro+.
For khadas I couldn't understand if we can install Libreelec on its emmc?

I already bought a Minix Neo A2 remote.
In my case I also need Android box for my kids play games like Asphalt, that are very GPU demanding, hence my undecision about all this.
  • 134(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28