• 136(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
point is from reading i have done today i d love go with odroid c2 and work with it.but i dont know the primary stuff i need for kodi use!for example if i want hd audio i should buy also hifi shield 2 right?i need case,remote micro sd etc.wrxtacy can u provide me some info for the stuff i need for odroid and kodi use with libreelec and maybe some store ?from eu.?i also need wifi antena module.
(2017-08-29, 06:03)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-08-29, 04:17)hawkigrad Wrote: Can the Mecool be used as a set top box? (Always on in Kodi or LibreElec)? Will running unofficial ATV allow one to disable sleep mode? Thanks.
Yes so long as you also turn off the HDMI-CEC shutdown option, so the box always stays awake when you switch the TV OFF.

Thanks Wrxtasy - . I have a Xiaomi Mi Box now and don't see this setting. Given the MeCool box runs ATV is this a setting that is only in LibreElec? It is my belief I cannot use the Mi Box as a always on device. Is that correct?
no tuner
hausmanis you have smooth play back?i think wetek play 2 supports as i remember auto refresh rate right?and has audio hd passthrough.you use kodi?Also hawkigrad what about mi box?any conclusion?you happy with it?you use kodi?
I can only comment on how the Wetek play2 runs from Libreelec since i flashed it to the nand since im not gonna use Play2 with android and the video playback is perfect and also perfect 7.1 hd passthru

Im getting my mi box for the need of android soon, can give you an update on how that works
thanks a lot for info!!what guide did u use to flash it?and also did u buy together the MicroSD Card with LibreELEC?i guess notTongueyou bought it from official web site?
Xiaomi Mi Box (S905X) :

- broken Kodi Krypton dynamic refresh rate switching, consequently you will not get ultra smooth Kodi video playback from this device.
WILL do Kodi HD Audio Passthrough, inc. Atmos and DTS:X
Not recommended for 4K Kodi video playback.
Not recommended for high quality Interlaced TV viewing.
Not recommended for rare H264 VC-1 compressed video content.
NO Ethernet can be limiting for some. A UGreen USB3 > Ethernet adapter may be an additional required purchase.
Same as 99% of Android devices -- >> NO 1080p / 4K Auto Resolution switching possible.
Like ALL Android devices not recommended for Mutichannel PCM/FLAC Audio either.

ALL Android OS's devices come with restrictions which can affect easy Kodi use.

Recommend for really easy to use Android TV Apps and non demanding Kodi users.

4K Netflix (no HDR) works well with decent 5GHz N or AC home WiFi.
Superb Wireless Voice remote - the best remote in its class infact ! Smile

What works with any AMLogic S905 / S905X / S905D box running LibreELEC ( or OSMC):

- everything works in (4K) Kodi Krypton: Smile
Auto refresh switching for ultra smooth video playback.
Auto Resolution Switching for hands off optimal 1080p / 4K viewing.
(HDMI) HD audio passthrough, inc. Atmos and DTS:X
Multichannel FLAC > PCM Audio output.
5.1 AC3/DTS Audio over inbuilt SPDIF (optical)
Plays anything you throw at it including old legacy video compressed content. (Niche - 1080p 3D output not supported)
** just be aware of the different S905 chipset capabilities in the chart below, regarding HDR10 and VP9 support.
Recommended for interlaced DVD / TV viewing because it uses AMLogic's - reliable, high quality, Advanced Motion Adaptive hardware deinterlacing.

Only extra hardware needed for all this is a microSDHC card or for ODROID C2 ->> eMMC(and it's SD card adapter)

4K Kodi video streaming works over WiFi, but it is not recommended for reliability. Use hardwired Ethernet, even 100M only will be fine.

Very few Kodi restrictions because you are running an efficient, open sourced, minimal Linux based OS.
LibreELEC Kodi is highly optimised for each particular Hardware setup used. Android Kodi is not.

LibreELEC comes with an inbuilt FTP and SAMBA file server. OpenVPN is also part of the package.

Recommend adding a Wireless remote to any AML LibreELEC box for improved Kodi responsiveness.

** NOTE: missing in the chart - S905 has Gigabit Ethernet (GMAC)

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options (click)

microSDHC cards:
Do not base your purchase decision on sequential speeds, Its Random 4K Read / Write performance that are most important for Kodi and LibreELEC speed.

The Best microSD Cards (click)

(2017-08-29, 21:20)rapart Wrote: point is from reading i have done today i d love go with odroid c2 and work with it.but i dont know the primary stuff i need for kodi use!for example if i want hd audio i should buy also hifi shield 2 right?i need case,remote micro sd etc.wrxtacy can u provide me some info for the stuff i need for odroid and kodi use with libreelec and maybe some store ?from eu.?i also need wifi antena module.

Basic Setup:
C2 Board
Case
Power Supply.
8/16GB eMMC if you want sub 10 second bootup and fast LibreELEC system backups, otherwise a recommended microSDHC card already posted in the AML S905(x) options link in previous post.

+ Aftermarket Wireless remote like the MINIX A2 lite.

WiFi:
Something with a AC WIFi capable RTL8812AU Chipset like the...
WiFi Module 5

Optional:
Hi Fi Shield if you need SPDIF output. Not sure if it does 2.0 or 5.1 Audio tho. Not needed for LibreELEC HD HDMI Audio.

EU distributors (click)

W.

Good morning and thanks for help!what do you mean its not needed for libreelec HD HDMI AUDIO?i wont have hdmi audio if i just put hdmi in my tv from odroid.I want to connect it with my audio receiver!but maybe it can wait a bitTongue
Btw my second option wrxtasy is nexus A95 2gb/16 rom.what u say!and ready for Le!And ofc i think also the mecool with s905 that you told us a lot of times that works with ethernet.Odroid will cost even more than wetek play 2 finally.point is worth the money?
Audio in All media players:

Media Player > HDMI > TV
or
Media player > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > TV

That is the way Audio in all the LibreELEC devices work including the C2.

As I keep saying I have no idea what you exact requirements are anymore.

I cannot comment on devices I've never seen or used either.

Please do your own research over on the LibreELEC forums there are simple too many S905(x) clone devices to keep track of them all !
Even a 1GB WeTek Hub with a MINIX A2 Lite wireless remote will make a might fine LibreELEC Kodi Krypton device.

LibreELEC does not need 2GB or RAM even for very high bitrate 4K video playback.

(2017-08-30, 02:48)wrxtasy Wrote: Xiaomi Mi Box (S905X) :

- broken Kodi Krypton dynamic refresh rate switching, consequently you will not get ultra smooth Kodi video playback from this device.
WILL do Kodi HD Audio Passthrough.
Not recommended for 4K Kodi video playback.
Not recommended for high quality Interlaced TV viewing.
Not recommended for rare H264 VC-1 compressed video content.
NO Ethernet can be limiting for some. A UGreen USB3 > Ethernet adapter may be an additional required purchase.
Same as 99% of Android devices NO Auto Resolution switching possible.
Like all Android devices not recommended for Mutichannel PCM/FLAC Audio either.

ALL Android OS's devices come with restrictions which can affect Kodi use.

Recommend for really easy to use Android TV Apps and non demanding Kodi users only.

4K Netflix (no HDR) works well with decent 5GHz N or AC home WiFi.
Superb Wireless Voice remote - the best remote in its class infact ! Smile

Any AMLogic S905 / S905X / S905D box running LibreELEC ( or OSMC):

- everything works in (4K) Kodi Krypton: Smile
Auto refresh switching for ultra smooth video playback.
Auto Resolution Switching for hands off optimal 1080p / 4K viewing.
(HDMI) HD audio passthrough, inc. Atmos and DTS:X
Multichannel FLAC > PCM Audio output.
(Excluding 1080p 3D) Plays anything you throw at it including old legacy video compressed content.
** just be aware of the different S905 chipset capabilities in the chart below, regarding HDR10 and VP9 support.
Recommended for interlaced DVD / TV viewing because it uses AMLogic's - reliable, high quality, Advanced Motion Adaptive hardware deinterlacing.

So it seems to be that the closest to an all-in-one device will be MiBox if it ever gets Libreelec dual boot capabilities.
If only xiaomi would ever allow it Confused
damnit didnt know the mibox didnt have ethernet
i forgot to mention khadas vim pro that wrxtasy mentioned a few days ago.Its pretty cool but it doesnt have spdif:/My AVR isnt new and it doesnt support hdmi so i can take advantage of passthrough.although i am going to change the AVR sometime.
(2017-08-30, 14:15)rapart Wrote: i forgot to mention khadas vim pro that wrxtasy mentioned a few days ago.Its pretty cool but it doesnt have spdif:/My AVR isnt new and it doesnt support hdmi so i can take advantage of passthrough.although i am going to change the AVR sometime.

In the interim - would an HDMI SPDIF extractor work? These are HDMI passthrough devices that allow you to extract SPDIF quality audio and output it via Toslink or Coax. Beware some are PCM 2.0 only - but some will spoof EDID and persuade sources to output Dolby 5.1 (not sure about DTS - but Kodi can transcode DTS 5.1 to DD 5.1 should you need)
Actually already switched out my Wetek play2, the play2 was great but the Vero 4k does everything as good as the Play2 but is more future proof with the HDR support ect

I think a combo of the Vero 4k, the built in apps on my FALD Samsung ks9800 together with using a ok android box like the mi box for the rare times that i need to watch something on a swedish local
app provider that dosnt got that app built in my tv is the perfect solution for me, i dont mind switcing boxes to achieve perfect playback sound and support
  • 136(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28