• 138(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-08-31, 17:45)wrxtasy Wrote: I think you mean the S905X MECOOL M8S Pro + which has pretty poor 2.4GHz only b/g/n WiFi
The MECOOL M8S Pro is a S912 where LibreELEC does not work properly.

Refresh switching is broken in the Mi Box, as I said use it for Android TV Apps only. Not demanding Kodi use.

Boxes with known working AC WiFi are already listed in here:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options:

The AP6255 AC WiFi Chip (same as Wetek Hub) in the 2GB/16GB S905X Khadas Vim's would work as well with LibreELEC Kodi Krypton using @kszaq's LE 8.2 image. (See LibreELEC forums.)

If you wanted Optical on that device you would need to add a HDMI > SPDIF Audio extractor as suggested by @noggin. You may need to Spoof 5.1 AC3/DTS audio via some sort of Audio extractor switch. We really are not sure.

Or you could buy an all in one Vero 4K where you are guaranteed everything will work.

If you do not need HDR buy a S905 MINIX U1 with its superior MIMO AC WIFi and SPDIF. Its integrated Wireless A2 lite remote is excellent.
Great device for 4K LibreELEC.

Sorry if hijack this post, what about 912s models? Are they still just bad, as written in the first post? Hasn't libreelec made some progress on them?

I'm undecided between a Mi Box 3 and a H96 PRO+ 3gb/32gb (cost is the same, ~ 60 €)

I need them for kodi and iptv on a fhd tv, what would you suggest? Huh
S912 - may be OK for Android only BUT make sure they are running Android Nougat 7.1.1 Firmware NOT Marshmallow.
Even then it buyer beware.

Current LE S912 status: (nothing changed)
Quote:AMLogic S912 hardware works with LibreELEC but you will have to put up with noticable Kodi user interface display tearing due to poor GPU video drivers. This does not look like it will be fixed anytime soon - See HERE for details.
There is also picture tearing during Software decoded video playback. For Audio output and when using Hardware video decoding, playback is the same as the S905X chipset devices with no picture tearing.

Need Android TV buy a real easy to use Xiaomi Mi Box - make sure your required Apps work first - ask over on the Reddit Android TV thread. Do your own research. Fine for Kodi IPTV & FHD - unless IPTV streams as Interlaced video. Best simple Wireless remote for Android TV on the market.

Need tablet Android - buy some other Android Box, BUT I warn you make sure there is 3rd party support for it via extra Firmware / ROM's on the Freaktabwebsite. Do your own research.

Android TV is different to regular tablet Android OS. Usually Android tablet apps will not work on Android TV and Vice Versa.

This is a Kodi forum - I'm not going to get into Android App discussion and usage.

Need superior Kodi only, well I've already listed the LibreELEC options extensively already in previous posts and they will all do IPTV and FHD.
Be aware if IPTV comes to you as interlaced video you need a S905(x) box running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

This recent addition will also help:

(click) LE forums - Choosing a AML S905 / S905X / S905W / S905D box discussion.

(2017-09-02, 08:32)wrxtasy Wrote: S912 - may be OK for Android only BUT make sure they are running Android Nougat 7.1.1 Firmware NOT Marshmallow.
Even then it buyer beware.

Current LE S912 status: (nothing changed)
Quote:AMLogic S912 hardware works with LibreELEC but you will have to put up with noticable Kodi user interface display tearing due to poor GPU video drivers. This does not look like it will be fixed anytime soon - See HERE for details.
There is also picture tearing during Software decoded video playback. For Audio output and when using Hardware video decoding, playback is the same as the S905X chipset devices with no picture tearing.

Need Android TV buy a real easy to use Xiaomi Mi Box - make sure your required Apps work first - ask over on the Reddit Android TV thread. Do your own research. Fine for Kodi IPTV & FHD - unless IPTV streams as Interlaced video. Best simple Wireless remote for Android TV on the market.

Need tablet Android - buy some other Android Box, BUT I warn you make sure there is 3rd party support for it via extra Firmware / ROM's on the Freaktabwebsite. Do your own research.

Android TV is different to regular tablet Android OS. Usually Android tablet apps will not work on Android TV and Vice Versa.

This is a Kodi forum - I'm not going to get into Android App discussion and usage.

Need superior Kodi only, well I've already listed the LibreELEC options extensively already in previous posts and they will all do IPTV and FHD.
Be aware if IPTV comes to you as interlaced video you need a S905(x) box running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

This recent addition will also help:

(click) LE forums - Choosing a AML S905 / S905X / S905W / S905D box discussion.
very insightful post, thank you!
(2017-08-11, 07:41)wrxtasy Wrote: I however do need proper HDMI-CEC and Gigabit Ethernet. Plus I want the fastest AML S905 device possible.
I also have all the C2 extra bits except the C2 Board and case - all I added was a MINIX A2 lite Wireless remote.
My C2 is buried deep in my TV cabinet, you would not even know it is there, that is the beauty of Wireless remotes and HDMI-CEC.

Suggestion - just pick what is the most important feature(s) for you vs Price you can pay from the following list:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

Hi wrxtasy

Just wondering why you need HDMI-CEC when you have a MINIX remote? Is it just to turn the C2 on and off?
I'm considering a new Kodi device for the bedroom and was wondering if one could avoid using more than the TV's remote and not have a remote at all for the Odroid/Vero/Wetek Hub? Or is HDMI-CEC too simplistic and only support a very few standard commands?
Some people do not want to buy a seperate remote control and want to control their LE boxes via a single TV remote only, even if it is slower and a bit more limited.

The C2 is the only AMLogic box that can be turned ON / OFF by the TV itself when the TV powers up/down using only the TV remote.

But why do you need HDMI-CEC when you don't only use the TV's remote and have a Minix? Can't the Minix turn it on/off?
When I talk about "integrated" remotes for any box - I'm also saying they have the ability to turn their respective media players ON / OFF without their IR signals interfering with other household Audio and Video equiptment.

The MINIX A2 lite will only turn ON / OFF MINIX devices only.

If I did some digging into the code it might be possible to do the same with LibreELEC on the C2 with the MINIX A2 lite, but I cannot be bothered and just leave it on 24/7 OR get the TV via CEC control to turn it ON / OFF automatically.

OR the other option as always is to get a Harmony remote and programme it.

Morning friends.About the remotes i read yesterday at posts that vero 4K cant power off.it can close through kodi menu and the led goes red(sth like standby mode)but if u want to open it you have to unplug and plug again the power.Its a bit annoying i guess imo.Can an owner of vero 4K inform us?there is no even power pff at remote.I think i just want my media center to close.Not to stay open 24/7 as it is made to be(like vero 4K)!
I have leaned to live with small sacrifices in order to save money, On our RPI2 we use a very inexpensive ($2-$3 US), simple on/off 15 amp switch that plugs into a outlet and any item plugged into that switch is controlled by the switch, We also have more expensive sets that have remote control which we also use for various lights. We have never tried the expensive setups that use android app to control them . It's all a matter of how much are you willing to spend, I certainly would not expect a low cost box to do everything an expensive set up would do.
but we talk about vero 4k dude one of the best devices in market running kodi with OSMC.its not low cost box...
Just did a wee test with the S905X $35 MECOOL M8S Pro+ and its IR learning remote.

You can turn the Box ON / OFF with its IR remote.
HDMI-CEC can also be setup so it turns ON / OFF the TV as well at the same time. (if I had an AVR, it would likely do the same)

OR

You can leave it on 24/7 and switch the TV off with the pre-learnt TV power button on the MECOOL IR remote.

wrxtasy i see at bottom"" LibreELEC 7.0.2 - Kodi Jarvis 16.1 for WeTek Hub HERE"".i guess you own device right?Btw i want to say i love wetek hub.its build is tough and so good with great wifi!if it hasnt 1 ram i would go for itSadi know that runs kodi but i dont know when this 1gb wont be enough:/
1GB RAM is plenty for even high bitrate 4K LibreELEC Kodi Krypton video playback, heck even 500MB would be enough.
LE is a highly optimised minimal Linux based OS, it does not need massive system resources compared to the Android or Windows Operating systems.

I would not really use any 1GB RAM device for serious, demanding Android use though, the continual low level OS RAM and task management will slow the device down a bit. 2GB RAM is better for Android.

The WeTek Hub has the worst IR remote of any device I've used. You need to buy a seperate Wireless remote. Like my favourite the MINIX A2 lite.

(2017-09-05, 13:00)rapart Wrote: but we talk about vero 4k dude one of the best devices in market running kodi with OSMC.its not low cost box...

I am sorry. I have my doubts that any Android box does Kodi better than LibreElec, and I have not found any Android TV app we need to justify running Kodi on Android rather than Libreelec.
(2017-09-05, 14:48)Pajoe Wrote:
(2017-09-05, 13:00)rapart Wrote: but we talk about vero 4k dude one of the best devices in market running kodi with OSMC.its not low cost box...

I am sorry. I have my doubts that any Android box does Kodi better than LibreElec, and I have not found any Android TV app we need to justify running Kodi on Android rather than Libreelec.

Thankfully people can make their own choice.

TV apps I run on Android are catch up apps, iPlayer, ITVHub, All4 etc.
  • 138(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28