• 141(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I have heard people complaining about Minix being slow to update their boxes after a while.
This review about the best 2017 Android boxes is worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y15HWj1Sro&t=305s
[/quote]
Truth is that personally i dont trust these videos buddy.They are just youtubers that promote (most of them not all) some products.Ofc some products deserve a look but be careful with your choiceYou ll see android tv boxes like h96 pro plus etc to be presented as the best boxes....but it isnt truth specially for kodi and generally their support firmware etc is crap. always IMO.(and btw i dont have something with chinese products i own a lot and admire their technology)
Guys maybe its a bit stupid question but why in some boxes some ports are backwards?you know HDMI for example is not like the other boxes.
(2017-09-12, 15:39)rapart Wrote: I have heard people complaining about Minix being slow to update their boxes after a while.
This review about the best 2017 Android boxes is worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y15HWj1Sro&t=305s
Truth is that personally i dont trust these videos buddy.They are just youtubers that promote (most of them not all) some products.Ofc some products deserve a look but be careful with your choiceYou ll see android tv boxes like h96 pro plus etc to be presented as the best boxes....but it isnt truth specially for kodi and generally their support firmware etc is crap. always IMO.(and btw i dont have something with chinese products i own a lot and admire their technology)
[/quote]

I understand what you are saying & I agree with you.
In fairness to Roberto Jorge he seems to be very fair in his reviews.
If something is wrong he will say it.
I don't know him personally but he seems to be one of the good ones.
Hi everyone,

use Kodi (or XBMC) for some time now. I ran it on OpenELEC on Pi1, Pi2 and Pi3. At some point I got a Nexus Player and currently mainly use the Android version of Kodi for playing media files from my NAS. However I also got a WeTek Play (1) and put LibreELEC on it. I currently use that box for recording DVB-C.

The WeTek Play is a nice box but it has one fatal flaw: there is no sleep mode and the box gets really, really hot. Even in idle. So I am looking for alternatives. As most boxes do not ship with built-in DVB-C I will probably end up using a USB-based tuner, so this is not a problem.

So far I had a closer look into the following products:

- WeTek Play 2: I looked at the successor to my Play box but as far as I can see this box also lacks sleep functionality.
- MINIX NEO U1: Often recommended on this forum and praised for the great WiFi support (an area where I could also need improvements coming from the Play which has really bad WiFi...) the U1 seems to have an RTC and sleep support. But does wakeup be for a scheduled recording work reliably on this box?
- Asus Chromebox: Another obvious choice. More expensive than the U1 and I really wonder how performance differs (Celerons used in the lowend Chromeboxes vs the S905 SOC in the U1). I am pretty confident the hardware supports sleep but does it work on LibreELEC?

I am very interested in your opinions! Any other solutions you would recommend?
Just some point to consider:

- The Play2, when i tune it in for TvHeadend DVB-T use, only has a single tuner. There are no Dual independent tuners as far as I can see compared to plugging in a proper external USB DVB-T Dual Tuner. A Single tuner limits PVR usage - I would call it PVR "lite"

- You cannot just Plug a USB DVB-C tuner into AMLogic S905(x) boxes and expect any old tuner to work. Careful pre-purchase research has to be done due to the old 3.14 Linux Kernel used.
Some of the Media Build LibreELEC S905(x) releases may have backported DVB-C tuner support from more modern Kernels. Basically you need to find someone with a working AMLogic LibreELEC DVB-C setup.

- The MINIX U1 / U9 has the best Engineered cooling and thermal management of all the AML devices - these can be safely left on 24/7.

See the U1 heatsink picture linked in the following post:

Choosing a AML S905 / S905X / S905W / S905D box guide

(2017-09-12, 21:29)wrxtasy Wrote: Just some point to consider ...

Thanks, I was not aware of the old kernel issue for example.

So, what about the Chromebox? Is there really any downside, other than the price (starting at about 250 Euro compared to the 120 Euro the U1 would cost me).
II can assure you that the Chromebox will leave all of the other devices you have mentioned in the dust, but you seem to want something with a tuner, right? A Chromebox won't help there.

I use it with LibreELEC, sleep is no problem.
Quote ronie: "Estuary is a giant piece of crap." Looking for a new quote. Ideas?
(2017-09-12, 17:27)micmon Wrote: However I also got a WeTek Play (1) and put LibreELEC on it. I currently use that box for recording DVB-C.

The WeTek Play is a nice box but it has one fatal flaw: there is no sleep mode and the box gets really, really hot. Even in idle.
I would actually still use the WeTek Play (1) as a Dual tuner Networked TV server and to reduce heat stop Kodi running all together:
The TvHeadend server will remain running in its own threaded process, independent of Kodi.

Code:
systemctl stop kodi

Doing this the Hardware options and choices really open up.
And to get quality 1080p / 4K HEVC Hardware for Kodi and you do even need to spend a lot.

As an example I'm currently playing around with a (Ethernet only) $35 MECOOL M8S Pro+ running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton combined with a $4 USB CSR Bluetooth Dongle and a really nice $11 Xiaomi BT remote. TV viewing on it is superb, streaming from my Dual Tuner Networked TvHeadend server.
Makes for a decent, fast Kodi setup.

It all depends if you want Plug n Play or want to do some simple DIY and save money.

Just wondering how the Dune HD Solo 4K lite compares to the Wetek Play 2 regarding what it can and cannot play etc.

The Play 2 is very good but the Dune HD Solo 4K lite seems to be a bit simpler to use
LG OLED C7, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2 with LibreELEC 8.2.3, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV 4K, NowTV, Airport Extremes
(2017-09-13, 09:06)wrxtasy Wrote: However I also got a WeTek Play (1) and put LibreELEC on it. I currently use that box for recording DVB-C.

Interesting idea! I could then just set up the client on my Nexus Player I suppose... I will try this out. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!
(2017-09-12, 23:04)Tobor Wrote: II can assure you that the Chromebox will leave all of the other devices you have mentioned in the dust, but you seem to want something with a tuner, right? A Chromebox won't help there.

Yeah, I would need some USB tuner. But I guess compatibility of those should be better on the Chromebox compared to S905 devices because the Chromebox can run newer kernels and drivers?
So I looked over the forum more, allot here, and read that kodi via android is not the best option... so going back for kodi via libreELEC for streaming is best on something that direct...
I read Chromebox is good, but there is also the odroid c3 i watch alot of north american sports from here in th UK...
After reading the report "Bluetooth Vulnerability BlueBorne Impacts Android, iOS, Windows, and Linux Devices" should there be any concern using bluetooth?

I understand any concern would only be for those individuals that use their systems where others could access them using bluetooth
signal.

BlueBorne info:

https://www.xda-developers.com/bluetooth...x-devices/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K7...UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking for a media player that can use kodi to play ripped blu rays files (BDTV+) without studdering. I'm currently using the Fire Stick and playing these ripped blu rays files is very lagging.

I'm playing my ripped Blu Rays files from a local NAS server

Anyone experience with the above device please let me know or if you have a better cheaper option also please let me know
(2017-08-28, 15:36)wrxtasy Wrote: Please re-read again what has already been written and linked to:

(read the TIPs)

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

Do not base you decision on sequential speeds, Its Random 4K Read / Write performance that are most important for Kodi and LibreELEC speed.

The Best microSD Cards

Maybe you could add the link to the Best microSD Cards to the first post? It's quite hard to find through searching.
  • 141(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28