• 149(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-10-31, 18:57)Arraco Wrote: I have downloaded Kodi on my laptop MacBook Air 1.4 Ghz intel core i5 Mem 4 GB, 20 gb internet connection
And I´ve had some problems with frozen and jumping video
I just want to use it for tv shows at 1080 p
My question is if it would work better with a stand alone device ?
Click HERE for the Mac OS Kodi help Sub-forum

Quote:Im thinking in Roku Express 

Thank you
Kodi does not run on any Roku devices. Never has and I doubt ever will.

The jellyfish video samples at multiple resolutions and bit rates.   

http://jell.yfish.us/

Please go nuts testing your device and let us know what works 1080p and UHD.
Actually at the bottom of the page it some other helpful info worthy of posting here directly:

Copied straight from http://jell.yfish.us/ "
For best streaming results, use wired ethernet, NFS (rather than SMB/Windows file sharing), and stream from a dedicated server or capable NAS (Synology, QNAP, etc).

For HD Videos, the Blu-ray Disc spec calls for a maximum bitrate of 40 Mbps for video and a maximum of 48 Mbps for audio and video combined. A number of discs do regularly exceed these numbers but only for relatively short bursts. If your media player can play the 55 Mbps Jellyfish File with no issues, it should have no bitrate-related problems with any BD rip.

For Ultra HD (4K) Videos, it looks like the new BD spec calls for 10-Bit H.265 encoding and allows for a maximum bitrate of 128 Mbps. I'm not entirely sure whether this is just for video, audio and video combined, or the total allowable data transfer rate (audio, video, java, etc). It's probably a safe bet that, if your media player can play the 140 Mbps Jellyfish File, you should be good to go for UHD rips.

Finally, if you're looking for sample files to test your media streamer's ability to play various audio/video formats/codecs, check out the Kodi Wiki Samples Page, maintained by hdmkv."
Hi,
And if I want the all deal, I want LibreELEC OS, Full 4K HDR including Dolby Vision support, and HD Audio Passthrough And finally running Mad-Nox skin smoothly...
Is there such a box?
Dolbyvision = 2017 Apple TV 4K, no HD Audio passthrough but you do get lossless HD Audio to Multichannel PCM Audio decoding and output for no loss in Audio quality.
Lots of potential with the Apple TV 4K, especially since Apple have announced support for auto refresh and auto HDR / SDR switching. Does not run Kodi natively.

Properly working 4K HDR playback with working Auto refresh and 1080p / 4K resolution switching and correct colorspace output - see the updated section in Post #1 (basically AMLogic S905X, S905D and S912 devices running LibreELEC or OSMC)

Mod-Nox Skin = no idea, if it is a heavy demanding Skin then you likely need an Intel Kaby Lake Box or a NVIDIA Shield but both have Kodi HDR issues.

Intel Apollo Lake & Kaby Lake running LibreELEC = HD Audio passthrough issues, no HDR support.

(2017-11-05, 04:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Apollo Lake & Kaby Lake running LibreELEC = HD Audio passthrough issues, no HDR support.

What about Apollo Lake & Kaby Lake running running windows 10  and using the Kodi app ?
i would like to also ask about the hdmi issues that seem to effect the NUCs - do all apollo & kaby lake boards  from other vendors have this issue ?

thank you
Hi All,
If I will buy this product :
https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_676880.html?wid=21
It has the S912 and 64 GB eMMC storage and very fast processor.
Can I install LibreELEC on it?
Unknown, it may be best to ask in the LE S912 thread:

[8.2.0.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

64GB is not needed. Even 32GB is excessive for LibreELEC only.

Thank you wrxtasy for your hard work.

Q. I basically want a HD Audio capable (inc. Atmos & DTS:X) 4K HDR Kodi media player that just works with minimal hassles ?
(devices must have working auto refresh & auto 1080p / 4K resolution switching and correct colorspace output after auto resolution switching)

This is exactly what I want. I have an LG Oled 55c7 and until now I've used a HTPC with Libreelec on it but it doesn't handle 4K HDR material so I play them on my Oleds in built player. I miss kodi so therefore I want to buy something that takes care all of that.
It's important that it doesn't upscale the video to 4k and let the oled do it because my Tv does that job very well.
So can you please recommend an exact model for my needs ? Maybe the Odroid C2 I don't know whats the difference between those models you've recommended in that section of your post. It's just that if those features you wrote are functioning well I'm happy but I'm a bit afraid that there is a catch here because it sounds too good to be true 😀

Edit 

As I see you recommend AMLogic S905X, S905D and S912 devices so the Odroid C2 is out as it's only S905. I really was looking forward to buy this maily because the gigabit lan which is something the Vero 4K doesn't have. I wonder if 100Mbit is enogh for 4K bluray remuxes when I will be able to decrypt them legally in the future.
(2017-11-06, 15:15)Haohmaru Wrote: It's important that it doesn't upscale the video to 4k and let the oled do it because my Tv does that job very well.
Yes that is exactly why correct 1080p / 4K auto resolution switching with working auto colorspace switching for 4K HDR is important.

Quote:So can you please recommend an exact model for my needs ?
I already mention one Gigabit S912 LE box in Post #1:
Quote:
  • Some AML S905D or S912 devices like the MINIX U9-H also have Gigabit LAN. WiFi is NOT recommended for high bitrate 4K video streaming.
There are likely cheaper S912 ones with 1000M/Gigabit Ethernet but you would have to do self research. The AML LE S912 Sub-forum would have some info from existing users.

No idea about 100M only boxes and streaming High Bitrate 4K HDR content. I'm not about to waste bandwidth downloading 45GB+ files testing either.

(2017-11-06, 15:15)Haohmaru Wrote: As I see you recommend AMLogic S905X, S905D and S912 devices so the Odroid C2 is out as it's only S905. I really was looking forward to buy this maily because the gigabit lan which is something the Vero 4K doesn't have. I wonder if 100Mbit is enogh for 4K bluray remuxes when I will be able to decrypt them legally in the future.

I was in the same boat as you and Wrxstasy helped me out a bunch. I ended up splurging a bit on the Minix Neo U9-H and it is as amazing as everyone says it is. I took the riskier route and installed LibreElec to Internal memory but everything worked out fine and the remote works 100% after I installed LibreElec over the original android OS.

Theres only minor issues right now. The first being that I think my ethernet port is super sensitive on my Minix box. I have two cats that scuffle quite a bit and one of them likes to run behind the tv (I just moved...most things are on the floor). 99% of the time, they will bump the cable the Minix box just disconnects and then I have to play a game of plugging and unplugging to get it connected again. I'll put it up soon where it wont be disturbed. Im not returning it over that.

I know its not my wallport or the cable because I used to have a Mibox in the same spot as the Minix box hooked up to the same cable through an adapter(with the same cats!) and it wasnt an issue.

Other issue is I cant for the life of me figure out how to get my PS4 controller to pair with the Minix box. I know it has BT because I looked it up before buying. It just wont see it. I'll figure it out.

UPDATE: I got the PS4 controller to pair. My couch is not that close to the TV...but not that far either. The BT signal seems to be very weak unless you attach the antenna to the box. I didnt think I'd need it because I am using Ethernet...but oh boy! I am picking up all kinds of BT devices in my building after connecting the antenna.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
SheHateMe
Can you please send us the link to the guide you used to install LibreELEC as the main OS, thanks.
(2017-11-07, 06:47)guandms Wrote: Can you please send us the link to the guide you used to install LibreELEC as the main OS, thanks.
For LE on the MINIX U9 - Follow THIS Mini Guide (click)

There is a warning from the LE developer kszaq right in top of the U9 subforum.

"If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!"

This doesn't make me run to the shop for sure.
Ehh i knew it won't be easy 😏
(2017-11-07, 10:42)Haohmaru Wrote: There is a warning from the LE developer kszaq right in top of the U9 subforum.

"If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!"

This doesn't make me run to the shop for sure.
Ehh i knew it won't be easy 😏

Keep reading the thread - they sorted out the main issues.  It is now a device of choice ~ depending on your priorities. Or read from the top of page 145 of this thread.
  • 149(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28