• 153(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I asked Geekbuying about the MECOOL M8S PRO Plus issue. They saidThis one is new and will not have such problems. we have checked with our supplier, all the faulty tv boxes were sent back and we have given our customers full refund. Is it now recommended again?  Is there any Android 7.1.1 905x box?  I like to buy Android 7.1.1 905x box. Video on my Beelink MXIII II really darker then on MXIII.
It was only particular batches of Samsung eMMC 5.1 flash storage on the M8S Pro + that had the faulty eMMC problem.
Virtually all bad batches of such boxes would have been refunded and sent back to the manufacturer and the M8S Pro+ now has alternate Kingston eMMC Flash storage and there have been no further problems since. (However the Reset Button has now been removed)

The MEECOOL M8S Pro L or any of the other MECOOL boxes never had any such problems.

This is the thread (click) for cheap AML S9xx box discussion.

Yes Android 7.1.1 on AMLogic S9xx boxes has had a bunch of bug busting done to AMLogic Firmware. Far better combination than dirt cheap AML S9xx Android 6.x boxes.

(2017-11-29, 06:42)wrxtasy Wrote: It was only particular batches of Samsung eMMC 5.1 flash storage on the M8S Pro + that had the faulty eMMC problem.
Virtually all bad batches of such boxes would have been refunded and sent back to the manufacturer and the M8S Pro+ now has alternate Kingston eMMC Flash storage and there have been no further problems since. (However the Reset Button has now been removed)

The MEECOOL M8S Pro L or any of the other MECOOL boxes never had any such problems.

Yes Android 7.1.1 on AMLogic S9xx boxes has had a bunch of bug busting done to AMLogic Firmware. Far better combination than dirt cheap AML S9xx Android 6.x boxes.
 If MeCool replaced the faulty chip, do you have any idea why they removed the Reset Button?

Is it only the MeCool M8S Pro + that has the reset button removed?
(2017-11-29, 06:42)wrxtasy Wrote: It was only particular batches of Samsung eMMC 5.1 flash storage on the M8S Pro + that had the faulty eMMC problem.

Thank you! Is there any Android 7.1.1 905x box or M8S Pro + the most recommended?
Can the S905X do 4K 60fps with libreelec?
First of all, congrat for the thread (and first post).

So, whats the recomendation for 4k / HDR / HD audio and atmos and DTSX pass / auto res and frame? Maybe a minix u9?
(2017-12-08, 02:17)rome Wrote: Can the S905X do 4K 60fps with libreelec?
Yes so long as you connect it to a HDMI 2.0 port on a 4K display.

(2017-12-08, 03:22)robertoafarias Wrote: First of all, congrat for the thread (and first post)
Cheers.

Quote:So, whats the recommendation for 4k / HDR / HD audio and atmos and DTSX pass / auto res and frame? Maybe a minix u9?
Auto Res, Auto frame rate PLUS you want Auto colorspace - see this THREAD
Plug N Play = Vero 4K
- you have to use NFS Networking for high bitrate 4K with HD Audio otherwise get familiar with modding fstab via a DIY guide (click).
I believe @Sam.Nazarko has some SMB (SAMBA) networking improvements coming for the Vero 4K

Otherwise some simple LibreELEC DIY:
Gigabit LAN (1000M) S912's like the MINIX U9 or KM8 Pro

OR any S905X device.

Manual Colorspace setting / fiddling required for mixed SDR / HDR10 content viewing:
NVIDIA Shield

Great! Thanks for the tips.

Guess i'll buy the minix or km8 for the gigabit feature.

Only one more doubt: if i use only LE, does it make any difference between minix u9 and km8 pro? I've Learned from your posts that minix has a great support, and that its very important for android. But what about LE? can i go for the cheaper one?

My destiny is in your hands (lol).

And sorry for my english (im not from USA).
(2017-12-08, 17:18)robertoafarias Wrote: Great! Thanks for the tips.

Guess i'll buy the minix or km8 for the gigabit feature.

Only one more doubt: if i use only LE, does it make any difference between minix u9 and km8 pro? I've Learned from your posts that minix has a great support, and that its very important for android. But what about LE? can i go for the cheaper one?

My destiny is in your hands (lol).

And sorry for my english (im not from USA).
 I thought the minix well engineered heat sink / cooling system justified the higher price.
Evening everyone. I just joined the site but have been reading multiple posts trying to figure which box is best for me. Before I start if I'm posting this in the wrong section I apologize. What I'm looking to do is upgrade my present stick to something better and faster
A background of what I currently have:
I'm running a gen 1 fire stick on Kodi 17.6
This is connected to a Vizio 55" e550i-b1 1080p tv. The stick is run wireless and at most times feel the stick is just slow and not a great experience. I run the stick in the HDMI port of the tv and the audio out from the tv is run through my reciever.

Basically what I'm looking for is a new box. I'll keep my stick for Amazon and the box will be primarily for Kodi. I've read on the beelink ultimate, Minix, mecool, ECT and it seems I'll watch a video on the box and its considered good or great but then read about overheating or dark colors ECT. I plan to run an Ethernet to combat the jitter and buffering I get on any 1080 picture.
Just curious if anyone can recommend a good box with little to no problems..Ethernet port, budget friendly ( under $100). I've just been overwhelmed with the amount of boxes available and not sure which I should pick

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel XL
Kodi only = stay away from Android and run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton:

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click)

As an example, bang for the buck - this device is a good Buy (click)

And if you really want a responsive box buy a $10-12 Xiaomi Mi Box aftermarket Wireless remote (not the rubber button ones) - that will work out of the box with LibreELEC.
Makes a hell of a differences to Kodi responsiveness - simply adding a Wireless remote. Smile

(2017-12-08, 17:18)robertoafarias Wrote: Only one more doubt: if i use only LE, does it make any difference between minix u9 and km8 pro? I've Learned from your posts that minix has a great support, and that its very important for android. But what about LE? can i go for the cheaper one?
As already mentioned, the MINIX U1 / U9 has superior thermal heat control vs any other AMLogic box on the market, their heat sinks are massive:

VS dirt cheap AML S8xx / S9xx boxes:

Consequently MINIX Hardware runs about 20-40 Degrees C cooler than the dirt cheap competition.
The Vero 4K is also a relatively cool running device and the ODROID C2 also has a pretty decent included Heatsink - I Overclock the crap out of the C2 and it's fine.

With those Brand named boxes you are paying for - in the U9's case - a Quality Wireless Mini Keyboard Air Mouse remote, MIMO Dual Band WiFi, Higher quality eMMC storage and RAM.
MINIX also actually Bug Bust Android Firmware and release continual updates - you are also paying for that support as well.

Same with the Vero 4K and the ODROID C2 - every box comes with the same high quality internal components, not just the cheapest parts that were available on the Chinese Shenzen production line for that month.

With any of the well known mainstream media players - Basically you get what you pay for, be that either after sales support and/or quality hardware. Smile

Would something like this work ? It runs a s912. https://www.amazon.com/Android-Smart-Aml...B071Z4Z2DG
I don't need the 4k as I only have a 1080 tv. The libreelec is new to me. Is this hard to sideload or install?

Sent from my Pixel XL
That will work. You do not need 3GB RAM / 32GB ROM for LibreELEC or OSMC. That is complete overkill, you are not running a Windows PC.
For LibreELEC - you can make up your own mind about ease of installation:

[HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905X/S912 device

If you do not want to install yourself, buy a Plug N Play Vero 4K - that runs OSMC a Linux Operating system that includes Kodi Krypton.

(2017-12-10, 03:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi only = stay away from Android and run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton:

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click)

As an example, bang for the buck - this device is a good Buy (click)

And if you really want a responsive box buy a $10-12 Xiaomi Mi Box aftermarket Wireless remote (not the rubber button ones) - that will work out of the box with LibreELEC.
Makes a hell of a differences to Kodi responsiveness - simply adding a Wireless remote. Smile

Are you referring to that “KM8” Box? Sorry, just pulled it up real quick. Didn’t catch the actual name.

Here’s what I’m after - “all” I need is a box that will run Kodi that does auto refresh/auto colorspace - 4K and HDR - and Atmos/DTSX. Gigabit lan. I have a Shield to handle Netflix and amazon streaming.

Sounds like a box capable or LibreElec is the way to go, just not sure WHICH box. Would love to find one that works with my Harmony Ultimate but I don’t mind buying a BT remote either.

I was originally set on the Minix U9 and installing LibreElec, but if I can get something for less, I’m all for it.

Sent from my iPhone
  • 153(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28