• 160(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-01-18, 16:37)hanzoh Wrote: - I use TVHeadend (with a SAT>IP server) on my NAS and I have found switching times in MrMC to be slower than in Kodi 17 (LibreELEC 8.2.2.3) or Kodi 18 Alpha (LibreELEC 8.90.2)
I'm not finding channel switching times any different between MrMC (Kodi Jarvis) vs Kodi Krypton with TvH and predictive tuning turned on. Most SD channel switching are almost instantaneous.

Quote:This may be due to older version of Kodi that MrMC is based on, so a lot of PVR optimisations are missing.
I would not say a lot, but the one thing I do miss with Kodi Jarvis vs Kodi Krypton is the Smart Recording features.

Quote:The deinterlacing (Yadif 2x) on the Apple TV 4K looks nice, but on 1080i channels, I have a lot of dropped frames.
I do Not have dropped frames with 1080i H264 streams.
There is a bug in auto deinterlacing with MrMC , you have to go into video settings and hard select "Deinterlace" for YADIF 2X, then set as default down the bottom.

For 480/576i mpeg2 TV streams (25fps) you can also turn on Video Post Processing to clean up the picture output a wee bit because the ATV4K has the CPU ponies to handle that. You cannot do that with the U9.

For 4K, well both devices would be fine. I'm not seeing major differences apart from the ATV4K's slightly superior 1080p > 4K picture upscaled video output when using non Kodi Apps. Remember LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on the U9 can do Auto resolution switching, the ATV 4K cannot, but in reality it really does not need it anyway.

I would not use the TvhClient App on the ATV 4K, last time I tried it was buggy and support was lacking.

MrMC has built in Plex, Emby, mySQL and TrakTV clients that are configurable from the Kodi GUI:
https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php?title=Main_Page

The ATV 4K is the superior Apps platform, especially for International (that needs 25fps / 50Hz support) and local Apps integration, plus superior auto frame rate and colorspace matching (for SDR / HDR) that operates on a system wide basis, not just Kodi or Plex.
Anything Android does not even come close and actually feels like a US-centric WIP Operating System by comparison.

LibreELEC Kodi Krypton is definitely superior on the U9 if you want the full monty Kodi experience.

Thanks , I was really looking for the most reliable box for live TV with TV and a bit of Netflix thrown in.

Not looking at Kodi add ons for IPTV.

If the minix gives that with libre elec will go down that road.

So in short I would have :

Minix with Libre elec Kodi krypton and this would give:
Live TV & PVR playback of satellite and DVB-t from tv Headend server
Netflix playback @ 720
Local media playback of files using Kodi

I would look at replicating these boxes to other rooms in the house so can set recordings or playback in another room with another box.
My internet is only 15MB and I want to leverage recording of free to air satellite and DVB-T as much as I can.

Where is the best place to pick up the minix ?
Just be aware Netflix playback @ 720p only comes with DIY LE Kodi v18 Leia and that at the moment is in LE real early community Alpha release status, plus an updated AMLogic Linux Kernel is in the process of being integrated into the AMLogic LE Leia codebase. Kodi Leia Alpha will not even be officially released till April I believe.
All that adds up to lot of ongoing Bugginess.

LE Kodi Kryton v8.2, without 720p Netflix = a different story. That works well.
If you use Netflix a lot, I would rather use an actual Netflix App vs anything Kodi Leia > 720p Netflix is offering.

You can dual boot the U9 and use an unofficial Android TV ROM for 1080p Netflix with it's Android TV App.

Also be aware that the new MINIX A3 lite remote that comes with some U9's has wake from sleep annoyances:
http://www.minixforum.com/threads/a3-rem...lem.16174/

Users prefer the older MINIX A2 lite remote that has no such issues.
No idea about U9 pricing or where to buy.

Thanks that's great to know .
The dual boot would be okay bit of an annoyance .
Must see what rate I'm actually streaming at right now. It's probably under 720.

Is the Minix U-9 H the best out there to handle all this mainy focusing on the live TV and PVR abilities?

I've yo yoed from buying a Mibox to Nvdia to Apple to just an enigma satellite box (had given up at that point) now to the Minix, mainly from reading the forums and bit of education.

Id like to have a few of these throughout house

Also how is the switching done on the dual boot in practice i.e how do I switch from one to another.?
Is there any videos showing this in action.
Looking at YouTube at moment to see if there is an example.
The best picture output quality for Live / Recorded TV is going to be found on Intel i series hardware because you can use high quality CPU software upscalers like Lanczos3-optimised with something like YADIF2X CPU software deinterlacing. Intel will have the CPU ponies for that and then some.

Next best IMHO is the Apple TV 4K, because now with it's 6 core 2.39GHz CPU package it can do 1080i YADIF2X deinterlacing plus some video post processing for SD TV content.
Then following that, not very far behind at all would be the AMLogic S9xx devices running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. They are well known for high quality Amlogic hardware deinterlacing when using Amcodec hardware video decoding.

As for using the Shield for deinterlaced TV viewing compared to the others, well you might want to read this post for a No bullshit comparison:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/11122-...#post75028

Android Kodi Krypton has broken deinterlacing and reliability problems with all Android platforms too. Android Leia has not even reached Alpha release status yet.

Dual boot AMLogic LE Kodi Krypton:

SD card inserted > boot straight into LibreELEC
From the LE Kodi Power menu > select - Reboot from Internal > reboots into internal stored eMMC Android / Android TV
In Android reboot device and you are back into LibreELEC.

Not very hard at all.

Dual boot LE / Android devices can have LE Kodi sped up when you copy the LE data partition to internal eMMC storage:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9425-h.../?pageNo=1

Works well. Smile

Thanks ya I was reading on shield , some user forums make it out be the best thing ever. But it doesn't really suit my needs and seems to struggle with live TV.

Apple TV is interesting I thought it would have the power but it's a slight trade off I think in that tv Headends main use is on Kodi. It's user base is there , for a non commerical solution this becomes important for weeding out issues and not getting bugs. It was really a strong contender for me.

I started HTPC build years back , never got something that fitted my needs and ended up with windows across board on server and clients with WMC and then Plex. Windows had in fairness great flexibility on a custom machine. You wanted to watch Vod content you just open the web browser. Netflix - open a web browser and stored content was easy through Plex.

That i supose is another option, Intel nucs and mediportal. Problem with windows these days is it's costant flux. You get a box like a Windows minix unit before you know it your outta storage and updates are pushed onto you.

I wonder would Ubuntu on a device such as a Nuc be a possibility . From want remember it had issues with drivers , also be a very expensive solution.
Been looking for a replacement for my dead FireTV 4k and can't decide on what to get, Was looking at the Xiaomi Mi Box but apparently it has ropey 4k playback so does a device that can playback 10bit HEVC and 4k HDR mkvs exist? The Shield is out of my budget at the moment unfortunately.
@wrxtasy what's your opinion on this new device CCC Air Stick? Sounds good right?
(2018-01-19, 17:25)spong_miester Wrote: Been looking for a replacement for my dead FireTV 4k and can't decide on what to get, Was looking at the Xiaomi Mi Box but apparently it has ropey 4k playback so does a device that can playback 10bit HEVC and 4k HDR mkvs exist? The Shield is out of my budget at the moment unfortunately.
From Post #1, maybe you missed reading it ?

Q. I basically want a HD Audio capable (inc. Atmos & DTS:X) 4K HDR Kodi media player that just works with minimal hassles ?
(devices must have working auto refresh & auto 1080p / 4K resolution switching and correct colorspace output after auto resolution switching)
  • AMLogic S905X, S905D and S912 devices running DIY LibreELEC Kodi Krypton or Plug N Play - OSMC Kodi Krypton on the Vero 4K
  • Some AML S905D or S912 devices like the MINIX U9-H also have Gigabit LAN. WiFi is NOT recommended for high bitrate 4K video streaming.
  • The combos mentioned above can also do decent HDR > SDR conversion for 4K non-HDR video output to a 10bit non-HDR 4K TV.
  • There is no need to continually fiddle with Operating System or Kodi settings for optimal 1080p / 4K HDR picture outputs once initial device setup is complete.
  • Yes these cheap AMLogic devices are better than both the more expensive Intel "Lake" NUC's and the NVIDIA Shield for auto, mixed 1080p / 4K HDR Kodi Krypton.

I've been trying to find a box that fills my requirements, but its complicated as hell.  Anyone please help?

I subscribe to all 3; Netflix, Amazon Video and Now TV .  I need a box that has these apps, plus also has  libre elec/kodi installed so that I play the occasional x264. 

I've been reading for hours and none the wiser.  Was looking at a s905x box, which seem fine for libreElec but apparently they dont have Amazon Video (apart from the Nvidai Shield, which is out of my budget).

The icing on the cake would be a higher spec box that has option of Netflix/Amazon Video in 4k - Though this is not essential.  Appreciate any help/info
(2018-01-21, 19:35)BarryNorman Wrote: I've been trying to find a box that fills my requirements, but its complicated as hell.  Anyone please help?

I subscribe to all 3; Netflix, Amazon Video and Now TV .  I need a box that has these apps, plus also has  libre elec/kodi installed so that I play the occasional x264. 

I've been reading for hours and none the wiser.  Was looking at a s905x box, which seem fine for libreElec but apparently they dont have Amazon Video (apart from the Nvidai Shield, which is out of my budget).

The icing on the cake would be a higher spec box that has option of Netflix/Amazon Video in 4k - Though this is not essential.  Appreciate any help/info

Your only options would be devices that seem out of budget.. nvidia shield, appletv, etc. if you are ok with Android, mibox might work for you.. it’s less than $100, but I don’t know if any of them will have now tv. Also you have to read upon issues with Android TV and it’s limitations.

You can get Netflix and amazon to work on an s905 box with LibreELEC but it would be max 720p, if I am not mistaken and may require a little tinkering to get them to work smoothly.

So no sub $50 solution that will work out of the box unfortunately..
Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to get Amazon, Netflix and NowTV on Android and boot into LibreElec for playback of local files.

From what I've read, its a limitation of Android, I'll have to investigate further
(2018-01-21, 22:20)BarryNorman Wrote: Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to get Amazon, Netflix and NowTV on Android and boot into LibreElec for playback of local files.

From what I've read, its a limitation of Android, I'll have to investigate further

I don’t think dual boot is a practical solution although it sounds attractive to avoid the hassle of two devices.. to each their own...
(2018-01-21, 22:20)BarryNorman Wrote: Thanks for the info.

At the cheap end of the market - you need a FireTV stick for 1080p Netflix and Amazon Video. Amazon really restrict what devices can stream Amazon Video. The stick will also have enough grunt for H.264 video playback

Now TV will only be available on an actual Now TV box. Blame Sky for this.

LibreELEC Kodi can only be installed on AMLogic S9xx boxes

The cheapest with 1080p Netflix only and with DIY dual boot LibreELEC is the MECOOL M8S Pro L

I've been lurking a while but I cant seem to find straight answers anywhere about the KM8 Pro - does it support DTS-HD MA and TRUEHD through LE?

Can it powered on/off via IR?

Anyone know if it'll support this remote? Inteset Remote

Thanks in advance
  • 160(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28