• 164(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-02-16, 16:37)jappel2 Wrote: Looking for help:
Currently have Raspberry pi 3 running libreelec krypton on wifi. ISP delivers 100mbps. Am getting Google Wifi points to ethernet raspberry pi.
Looking at (to upgrade):
Rock 64 / Libre board / [or other recommendations].
Which one will run Kodi best on SD card, and.....have Playstation Vue which I have to cast, but thinking if I get a SBC with Android capabilities, can I install Android, (possibly keep Libreelec [2 OS] get playstore, and download the Playstation Vue App
so I don't have to cast anymore?
To be honest after looking at the Google Playstore, I'm not sure which Android platforms the Playstation Vue App works properly with.

But to be certain any Android device that needs to stream paid for, copy protected video needs at least Widevine L1 DRM & HDCP 1.x

Which means these devices:

- NVIDIA Shield
- Xiaomi Mi Box
- MINIX U9
- WeTek Hub & Play2
- MECOOL M8S Pro L
- Amazon Fire TV's

If you want Chromecasting support you need legit, licensed Android TV devices :

- NVIDIA Shield or
- Xiaomi Mi Box

LibreELEC Kodi Krypton works best with these Dual Boot boxes:

- AMLogic S9xx devices.

And if you want decent WiFi on those AML devices the MINIX U9 with AC MIMO WiFi will be the best followed by the cheaper MECOOL M8S Pro L

You will find this PS Vue help (click) post of interest.

ok 2nd round. I just upgraded to Google WiFi points. Think of taking Spectrum current 100 mbps, to their 400. If I go to Rock 64 which is 10/100/1000 vs Raspberry pi 3 (which is 10/100), will Kodi stream better? I have streaming lags at times, not always. 
Unlikely to be an improvement.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
What`s about alfawise x5, Intel cherry trail x5-8350 with 2 GB RAM + 32  GB EMMC ? Is it a good alternative to cheap box android? I use Kodi 17.6 in Windows 10 with no issue.
OK - So long as you do not try and play any modern 10bit HEVC video files:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307065

Alfawise x5 would want to be cheap because a dirt cheap $40-50 AMLogic S9xx box running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton would run rings around it so far as hardware decode support for all sorts of video files is concerned.

(2018-02-22, 17:03)wrxtasy Wrote: OK - So long as you do not try and play any modern 10bit HEVC video files:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307065

Alfawise x5 would want to be cheap because a dirt cheap $40-50 AMLogic S9xx box running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton would run rings around it so far as hardware decode support for all sorts of video files is concerned.
So regarding cheap x86 cpu, what is the best ? Apollo Lake or Gemini Lake ?

Thanks.
I have been running Odroid C2 for a while now, it's working great, but I want to buy a new device, I can sometimes see lag in the menu's.

If I understand correctly the next performance step (From Odroid C2) is Nvidia Shield, but are there any new devices coming that will potentially be supported? The S905 is a few years now.
You may not even need a new device, see THIS post for LE C2 tweaking tips.

Let me get this straight..

Is there any box available that will playback 4k, HDR, HD audio passthrough content, while booting in Libreelec?

If i got it right even wetek play 2 wont playback hdr content in Libre...

Also i think that even the new 2018 nuc with the 4005 wont be able to playback Hdr content in Libreelec

Thank you Smile
Minix U9
I second the Minix U9 but I still have random problems with bitstream noise.  Running PCM out solves the problem completely.
This will only affect you if you have/need object oriented surround playback from your receiver or pre-pro.  (Dolby Atmos or DTS-X)

Video wise it can and will play everything with the correct colorspace, resolution, and refresh rate of the original file.
To be honest after looking at the Google Playstore, I'm not sure which Android platforms the Playstation Vue App works properly with.

But to be certain any Android device that needs to stream paid for, copy protected video needs at least Widevine L1 DRM & HDCP 1.x 

Which means these devices:

- NVIDIA Shield
- Xiaomi Mi Box
- MINIX U9
- WeTek Hub & Play2
- MECOOL M8S Pro L
- Amazon Fire TV's

If you want Chromecasting support you need legit, licensed Android TV devices :

- NVIDIA Shield or
- Xiaomi Mi Box

LibreELEC Kodi Krypton works best with these Dual Boot boxes:

- AMLogic S9xx devices. 

And if you want decent WiFi on those AML devices the MINIX U9 with AC MIMO WiFi will be the best followed by the cheaper MECOOL M8S Pro L

You will find this PS Vue help (click) post of interest.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi there,

Is there a way to find out what DRM my paid for app needs? ie I keep getting an error that a DRM is missing when I try to playback video on it, so I think the boxes you've suggested here are most likely to meet my needs (which is to play Kodi videos smoothly and a handful of android Apps too)

Im particularly interested in the MeCool one.

If you have any tips on how I can confirm this it'd be appreciated.

Thanks
also found out this:

https://www.cloudmedia.com/?product=popc...ransformer

Popcorn hour Transformer Media Computer, based on RK 3328, claims that it can play anything via Android - Kodi, and it can boot straight in Libreelec (but with some limitation in playback atm)
it has 4gb and 32 eMMC and SATA 3.5 interface.

Anyone tried this?
Spoke to the OSMC Vero 4k support line. 
The Vero 4k uses TVheaded as the backend tv service provider. 
The issue is the Hauppage USB2 Stick Dual DVB-T/T2/C Tuner for use in Australia is NOT supported.
I'm not sure what other dual usb tuners ARE supported that can be used in Australia.
Hi there.

I am in Australia (don't have a Vero 4k though). I have been running a Sony PlayTV which has 2 tuners in it for years (I use it now as a headless backend on a cheap Nexbox A95X S905X box running Libreelec). You can get them cheap and they work a treat with TVheadend.

Hope that helps
  • 164(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28