• 165(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Thanks for the reply. 
I built my own HTPC on a windows 10 platform using the Hauppauge Dual tv tuners with Kodi and NextPVR. 

However,  this media player is for someone with zero tech savvy so I need to make it idiot proof.  Just the one box that everything plugs into.
I need something that basically only runs Kodi so they wont' get confused if they see a different screen. 

It needs to be able to read local media content from an external hard drive and be able to record as least two free to air digital channels.
I'd also like to keep the number of remotes needed to run this to a minimum.  So I was hoping to use a flirc usb receiver that could be used with the existing tv remote.  Otherwise more cost if a harmony remote is required.

So at least 3 usb connections (ext hard drive, flirc and tuner)  although that may leave me one short if wifi is required.  
Oh,  I forgot to mention it needs to be H.265 compatible because even some 1080 is now encoded with it.
Was looking at a DYI  job e.g. Rock64 but my knowledge of all those weird o/s is non existent and I didn't' want to get stuck half way

regards

Erick
I've got a Rockchip 3399 development board and I can tell you now with Rockchip LE Kodi deinterlacing does not work properly. mpeg2 currently does not hardware decode and H264 deinterlacing is half motion, stutters and is poor quality.

Come back in 6-12 months if you want a Rockchip device for something like stable LibreELEC, its too early to in the development cycle to dive into such a Rockchip chipset yet especially for high quality deinterlacing and TV viewing use.

Two options for TV usage and hardware decoding of H.265 with a plug in tuner:
- Intel Apollo Lake running LibreELEC Kodi
- An AMLogic S9xx device with a integrated Wireless remote like the MINIX U9 running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton or the Vero 4K running OSMC Kodi Krypton. You really do not even need a Flirc then.

However you need to state exactly which model of TV tuner is going to be used and which part of the world the TV tuner needs to be used in with the AMLogic devices. TV tuners on those boxes are not just Plug n Play.

Thanks for that.
I did look at the Vero 4K running OSMC Kodi Krypton.
When I went on to their support site I asked about the Hauppauge WinTV-dual HD USB2 DVB-T/T2/C Tuner.
For Australian free to air tv.
They told me it was NOT supported.  I'm not sure which tuners are supported and that will work in Australia.
Left a message but have not received a reply to that question.

Erick
Well I use the old, highly compatible DVB-T PS3 Play TV dual tuner with AMLogic S9xx boxes and it works a treat with TvHeadend and LibreELEC. One of them is used in my household TvH AML S9xx server setup.
You can find them sometimes pretty cheap at EB Games in Australia.

Thank you for your reply.
As I understand it you use a PlayStation 3 and an AMlogic box working together to give you a media streamer and PVR ?

As I mentioned before I 'm looking for single box solution as the media player is for a non tech savvy person.

I bought an MX8 android box for my sister a few years ago which had a proprietary interface loaded over android.
She owned a nexus smart phone so I thought it would be easy for her to use.  But it neither looked nor behaved like an android box.

It was clunky , the remote sucked, it kept crashing kodi, it was almost impossible to load any applications from the android store...a real nightmare.
In addition it lacked a tv tuner and was a pain to connect to an external hard drive.

So I ended throwing it in the draw and buying her a Nuc.  
The NUC also  has no TVB tuner  but at least she could play her own movie library with Kodi installed and watch Netflix.

This time I want a single box just for Kodi that will do PVR (dual tuner at least), read local media content via usb and comes with a good remote or can use the tv remote through a flirc usb receiver. 

I never got very far looking at the Raspberry Pi 3 as a possibility,  as it appears that it will never be able to handle H.265.  Since even some 1080 content is now being coded at H.265 that ruled it out. 
I'm not even sure which if any TV tuners that work in Australia will work on the Pi.

There are other dyi boards out there like the Rock64 , Udoo, Asus Tinker box ect which have most if not all of the requirements, but I have no experience in any of the o/s that run on these.  Not even Windows 10 IOT.
I also don't know if these boards can run Kodi, or a backend pvr service for Kodi  or which tuners will work out of the box.
If any of these don't work I would be stuck and unlikely to get them working as there is limited support.

Regards

Erick
The PS3 DVB-T is a USB dual tuner you can plug into any Linux / Windows device. There is no need for a PlayStation to be involved at all. It’s just a USB plug in tuner that is highly compatible with a whole bunch of Linux based boxes. Simply install the Linux based LibreELEC or even use a Vero 4K. Plug in a NTFS formatted HDD and use the TvHeadend server and Kodi TvH PVR viewing client and you are good to go.

If you really want an easy to use PVR in Australia look at the Fetch Mighty. It also plays H.265 content using a plug in USB HDD/stick and it’s pretty basic built in Media player. It does not run Kodi but will be a much superior PVR setup for non tech users. Also does Netflix, Stan and YouTube. Excellent simple remote with the Fetch devices.

Please Stop looking at Rockchip devices for Kodi, you will end up with rubbish, unreliable Kodi TV deinterlacing at this present point in time. I would not call them stable platforms for LE Kodi yet either, rather a WIP with potential.

Hi all!

sorry my post fall a bit random in the conversation, but goes back to the initial post.
Now that kodi is released on Xbox One, would that make sense to add it to the list of devices (I see it is mentioned in December news)? Is there a catch that I'm missing?

I'm not a technical expert, but it seems there are a lot of advantages for it. I just borrowed one from my brother to do some tries and I'm really thinking of purchasing one (against an Apple TV 4K with MrmC that I was considering earlier - the price is actually more or less the same at the moment):

In Kodi
- 4K and H265 capability - (I had little issues with just one sample HEVC 4K 10bits while others were working fine. I have to test other ones to be sure)
- Bitstream sounds (passthrough is apparently not working with kodi so far)

Aside from kodi
- 4k and H265
- Bluray player (may not work inside kodi)
- Nice gaming console!
- Netflix, Prime Video apps in 4K and HD audio (right now I'm just missing Molotov for TV, but I can connect my cable box to the xbox to compensate).
- Support Miracast, Chromecast and Airplay with an extra paid app

As you may have perceived, I'm quite convinced by the solution at the moment.
Do you see anything I'm missing, or something that could become a potential issue on this platform? (so far my only regrets compared to the apple TV are the Homekit integration, and access to Itunes video catalog/Apple Music). (Just for the record, I'm moving from a Pi2 on Librelec)
(2018-03-04, 11:15)texandre Wrote: Hi all!

sorry my post fall a bit random in the conversation, but goes back to the initial post.
Now that kodi is released on Xbox One, would that make sense to add it to the list of devices (I see it is mentioned in December news)? Is there a catch that I'm missing ?
You are missing a bunch of standard, expected Kodi working features plus its using buggy pre-alpha Kodi Leia software. Lots of Xbox Kodi problems as seen here, some of which will not get fixed anytime soon due to Microsoft restrictions:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=326228

Kodi on the Xbox is very much a WIP with potential. It all depends on how stable you like your day to day Kodi usage and what features you must have working out of the box.

Quote:I'm not a technical expert, but it seems there are a lot of advantages for it. I just borrowed one from my brother to do some tries and I'm really thinking of purchasing one (against an Apple TV 4K with MrmC that I was considering earlier - the price is actually more or less the same at the moment):
Good luck ! Wink

BTW DD+ Atmos from Netflix etc is not lossless HD audio because DD+ is a lossy audio codec. Don't be fooled by fancy marketing.

I'm thinking to buy Vero 4K. Are there some  knowing issues with this box?

I need fast box(quick menu response),stable, play HD content (h264/h265 codec - not necessary 4k for now) with HD audio pasthrought (HD-DTS, True-HD,...).

I would like to replace 3 years old cuboxTv(unstable latest libreelec images for me drive me little bit crazy)
Thanks for that
Fetch Mighty PVR at almost $400 is a bit steep for my.  Only a few hundred below a small form factor win10 HTPC. 
At $250 I can find single board PC's which run windows 10.
https://core-electronics.com.au/lattepan...board.html
I know Kodi will run on this and that the Hauppauge tuners will work.
On Linux I have found this
https://www.loverpi.com/collections/libr...-rk3328-cc
which supports 4k and should also allow for a Hauppauge usb dual tuner to be added.
However, as I have no Linux support any issues I have will be hard to resolve.

Erick
(2018-03-04, 12:32)pitbull77 Wrote: I'm thinking to buy Vero 4K. Are there some  knowing issues with this box?

I need fast box(quick menu response),stable, play HD content (h264/h265 codec - not necessary 4k for now) with HD audio pasthrought (HD-DTS, True-HD,...).

I would like to replace 3 years old cuboxTv(unstable latest libreelec images for me drive me little bit crazy)
 One thing to be aware of is that if you have a low end Denon receiver (specifically Denon AVR-X1400H), you may struggle to get DTS HD-HRA passthrough to work. This can be mitigated by disabling passthrough in the interim; but we are working on a solution. This AVR seems to be the only one affected currently.
I currently have an HP Microserver N54L which has 10TB of storage, a graphics card with HDMI out and an internal DVB-T2 tv card. I use Libreelec, and can dual boot into Windows Server 2011 if needed for file management. This all plugs into an Onkyo 609 av receiver.

Is there much benefit to be had to updating any of my hardware? I want to keep using my storage and a tv input, but it isn't the most user friendly for babysitters etc. Smile

I feel like it is a bit out of date, but it does a good job for what it is. Are there any features I'm missing out on?
Hi guys,

new member here but I have been using Kodi for many years now (at first on RPi2 and now on RPi3) to stream movies/tv shows from my Synology NAS via ethernet. I intend to buy a new 4K HDR TV and I think it's time to upgrade my Kodi device as well, as it is not capable of playing back 10bit HEVC files.

I am looking for something that is able to play back 4K HDR10/10bit HEVC files, preferably on LibreELEC, with gigabit ethernet and CEC, which is really important to me, because I'd like to keep it simple with only one remote. I'd rather go for an ODroid-C2 than having a device without CEC.  Big Grin

Any specific device that you can recommend? 

Bonus question: are there any devices that support bluetooth aptx and headset controls? For instance, I was able to pause the videos on my RPi with my B&O H7 but had to change to a external bluetooth transmitter because of connectivity issues.

Thanks Smile
almost got hoodwicked. felt like moth heading to its doom plus the brewskis didn't help. I'm living in Italy and new to all this. was given a kodi box by my good friend, bless his heart.A T95X 1GB Ram / 8GB Rom. Since then I've purchased my dream 4K TV and need a new box. I'm looking for octa-core, 3GB, 32GB, dualband WIFlyI. Any suggestions would be highly apreciated.
(2018-03-08, 15:27)Dwag93 Wrote: I am looking for something that is able to play back 4K HDR10/10bit HEVC files, preferably on LibreELEC, with gigabit ethernet and CEC, which is really important to me, because I'd like to keep it simple with only one remote. I'd rather go for an ODroid-C2 than having a device without CEC.  Big Grin
This is a common quoted error. The S905 only AMLogic devices like the ODROID-C2 are NOT HDR capable. You need a S905X/S912 for 4K HDR.
See the Chart in here:

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click)

(2018-03-10, 18:16)Nuyorican Wrote: I'm living in Italy and new to all this. was given a kodi box by my good friend, bless his heart.A T95X 1GB Ram / 8GB Rom.
You actually likely do not need a new device. If that T95X is an AMLogic S905X then it will do 4K just fine, not sure about your WiFi requirement tho. on that box.
I highly recommend getting a Sandisk Class 10 U1 microSDHC card and flashing LibreELEC Kodi Krypton to it, same as everyone else is doing:

[STABLE] LibreELEC 8.2 (Kodi 17 Krypton) community builds from kszaq (click)

The Best WiFi on AMLogic boxes is found on the MIMO (Dual Antennas), Dual Band AC WiFi equipped MINIX U9.
Otherwise you are looking at the MIMO equipped NVIDIA Shield or at the cheaper end of the spectrum the dual band MECOOL M8S Pro L or the Tanix TX92.

Good luck getting high bitrate 4K streaming working reliably when using WiFi only. You really need Gigabit Ethernet.

• 165(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28