• 166(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
So is it correct that the "nVidia Shield" is still the best option for me if I don't have a 4K TV (yet) but still want:
- Amazon Prime natively without constantly sideloading 
- Kodi with proper 24p sync
- solid 1080p H.265 support
Yes the Shield will do that.

The other option is the Apple TV 4K running the MrMC App (highly modded Kodi Jarvis).
It also has direct install of Amazon Prime Video.
On that device you also get Firmware support for auto - hands off - frame rate matching aka 24p video playback sync with the Amazon Video and the Netflix App which you do not get on the Shield.
Makes for nice smooth, enjoyable video viewing.
If you have an older Dolby Digital (DD+) only AVR / Soundbar or TV you will get 5.1 audio from the Apple TV's with those Apps because the ATV's have a Dolby Audio Licence.

The Shield needs a DD+ HDMI connected audio receiver to get 5.1 DD Audio from Amazon Video and Netflix & other copy protected streaming Apps.
Slight downside with the Apple TV 4K is the MrMC App cannot install any other Addons than what is already included as part of the App. It's a solid stable app otherwise.

(2018-01-05, 04:16)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Stretch will be released on Sunday (7th).
3D FP can be tested manually currently, but obviously not suitable for prime time. In short:

Enable FP:
        echo 3dfp > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config
        echo 3doff > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config
    Enable FP support via decoder:
        echo 1 > /sys/module/amvideo/parameters/framepacking_support
    Put us in an FP mode for HDMITX
        echo FAKEVIC > /sys/class/display/mode # force reset
        echo 1080fp60hz > /sys/class/display/mode

The problem is this isn't going to work on a lot of devices. When AMLogic added checks for Dolby Vision, they disabled 3D signalling in hdmitx. DV and 3D use the same registers.

I was able to fix this with https://paste.osmc.tv/raw/elevutajev, but who knows if a lot of Android boxes will ever see an update with a fix from AML. This patch also fixes 3D autoswitching (and is why it hasn't been working properly for some time) for other files such as SBS files. 

Is this still a valid method to test frame packing 3D output on the Vero 4K?
(2018-03-11, 01:14)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-03-08, 15:27)Dwag93 Wrote: I am looking for something that is able to play back 4K HDR10/10bit HEVC files, preferably on LibreELEC, with gigabit ethernet and CEC, which is really important to me, because I'd like to keep it simple with only one remote. I'd rather go for an ODroid-C2 than having a device without CEC.  Big Grin
This is a common quoted error. The S905 only AMLogic devices like the ODROID-C2 are NOT HDR capable. You need a S905X/S912 for 4K HDR.
See the Chart in here:

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click) 
Thanks for the answer! Smile

I am aware of that. I just meant that I would prefer a device which has CEC over 4K HDR capable devices. And as far as I know the Odroid is at least 1080p 10Bit HEVC capable, which is not optimal but it would suffice for a while. But I would definitely prefer a long term solution with the features mentioned in my earlier post.

I think I narrowed it down to the MINIX Neo U9-H and the Vero 4K. While the Vero does not have gigabit LAN and runs OSMC it has an official firmware unlike the MINIX which relies on community builds. Also the kszaq build looks like it does not support 4k and HDR.

Edit: The more I read about the MINIX the less I want it to be honest. Granted that the threads I am browsing are a year old
I own a U9 and it runs everything (4k/hdr/atmos/dtsx/CEC/Gigalan) through LE and Android
(2018-03-05, 13:40)sausageman Wrote: I currently have an HP Microserver N54L which has 10TB of storage, a graphics card with HDMI out and an internal DVB-T2 tv card. I use Libreelec, and can dual boot into Windows Server 2011 if needed for file management. This all plugs into an Onkyo 609 av receiver.

Is there much benefit to be had to updating any of my hardware? I want to keep using my storage and a tv input, but it isn't the most user friendly for babysitters etc. Smile

I feel like it is a bit out of date, but it does a good job for what it is. Are there any features I'm missing out on?
 Any advice on whether it is worth upgrading, and the best way to do it, would be greatly appreciated. Smile
Ok it's been a while but I decided to grab Vero 4K last week Smile I wonder how big (if any Wink) change it will be from RPi3 in terms of performance and picture quality Smile Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!
(2018-03-12, 11:58)robertoafarias Wrote: I own a U9 and it runs everything (4k/hdr/atmos/dtsx/CEC/Gigalan) through LE and Android
 Can you tell me which build you have and if you had to customize anything besides the normal LE settings? (e.g. Custom ROM)

I really cannot decide between the Vero and the U9 so it's basically frequently updated FW vs GigaLAN. Big Grin
100Mb Ethernet (FastEthernet) mean only when your tipical movie file are over 50/60GB. Only over this size you have problem or when bitrate spikes over 100Mb for several seconds..
this doesn't happen very often..

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
(2018-03-12, 13:31)sausageman Wrote:
(2018-03-05, 13:40)sausageman Wrote: I currently have an HP Microserver N54L which has 10TB of storage, a graphics card with HDMI out and an internal DVB-T2 tv card. I use Libreelec, and can dual boot into Windows Server 2011 if needed for file management. This all plugs into an Onkyo 609 av receiver.

Is there much benefit to be had to updating any of my hardware? I want to keep using my storage and a tv input, but it isn't the most user friendly for babysitters etc. Smile

I feel like it is a bit out of date, but it does a good job for what it is. Are there any features I'm missing out on?
 Any advice on whether it is worth upgrading, and the best way to do it, would be greatly appreciated. Smile 
 It depends what you want.

If your setup is playing well with the media you want to watch, then "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If you want to move to 4K/HDR/10bit/HEVC then in the absence of details of your video card, it is hard to say what results you will get from your existing setup cf a new player.

If you need a more powerful viewing device (ie the HP is not cutting it with the media you want to watch) I would keep the HP microserver (great compact, cool, quiet kit) as your media server/PVR backend and get, say, a Vero 4K if you want to increase your viewing power.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you Smile

It is working well enough at the moment, but I guess switching to a U9 or Vero 4k as a front end could work. Is it easy to set up? Also, the remote for the the vero looks a bit simplistic for watching live tv, is there an alternative that works well?
@Dwag93

No customs. Im using the latest kzaqs krypton build.

Everything runs just fine. All my 4k remux (50~100gb) are stored in my nas and u9 plays them with no problems.
Well, thank you! You are giving me hopes. Smile

I think I will test both the U9 and the Vero and maybe even keep both of them if they work to my satisfaction.
Hi,

Just saw a startup on kick.
Seems interesting for a nice htpc and an easy gaming.
what about these boxes? 

https://www.wetekbusiness.com/products/

can they be bought in the near future? or do they even exist at all?
  • 166(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28