• 169(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-04-03, 10:42)JohnWB Wrote: i am thinking of getting an Apple TV 4K and was wondering how MrMC compares to LibreELEC (on a Wetek Play2) for playing video files from a NAS box regaring picture quality and HD Audio.

I have Marantz 7010 receiver which plays any HD Audio.
ATV 4K is a 4K HDR 10/12bit video - capable media player that can decode 7.1 HD audio to 7.1 LPCM for no loss in audio quality when using the MrMC or Infuse Apps. It has no auto 1080p <<-->> 4K resolution switching but does not really need it due to above average 1080p > 4K picture upscaling.

AML S905's like the WeTek Play2 is a 4K SDR 8bit video - capable media player that can do HD Audio passthrough, inc. Atmos and DTS:X if you use @kszaq LE Krypton releases.
It can also do auto 1080p <<-->> 4K resolution switching when running LibreELEC Kodi to let your 4K TV upscale all 1080p content.

If you have a 10bit 4K display and playback 10bit 4K content then the ATV 4K will have a superior picture outputs with little to no color banding due to it's 10bit color depth capabilities. This sometimes is really dependent on the 4K display used and it's picture processing capabilities to.

However you do get to use a full blown Kodi Krypton with the WeTek Play2, with the ability to install extra community Skins and Addons, basically the full monty regular Kodi Krypton we are all used to. Plus there is the Play2 TV tuner option if that whet's your whistle.

Apart from that I doubt you would see any picture differences when viewing regular 8bit SDR video content on either platform. Both are great.

Really it depends if you need to use a full blown SDR Kodi Krypton or a 4K HDR media player. More ATV 4K info in the following post:

Apple TV 4K with MrMC (highly modded Kodi Jarvis):

Wink 
Thanks for that wrxtasy, just what i wanted to know
LG OLED C7, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2 with LibreELEC 8.2.3, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV 4K, NowTV, Airport Extremes
(2018-04-04, 21:35)Verdana Wrote:
(2018-04-02, 11:12)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-04-02, 06:51)SkOrPn Wrote: One last question, is the M8S Pro a bad device for some reason I can't seem to discover? DDR4, Widevine Level 1, ATV etc, almost seems to good to be true.
@Verdana, I'm not really up with Kodi Addons on various devices. It's simply too hard to keep abreast of these things.
I do believe Milkdrop might be a Windows only Visualisation.

Users really have to ask in hardware threads before purchase to be 100% sure.  
The VERO 4K Team are great support and help, but i really needed visualisation, so i returned it.
 I've installed the Shadertoy visualisations through popcornmix his repository ... they work perfectly (thread on osmc)
LG 77G1 • Onkyo TX-RZ70 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i A:QI65C • 2x BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Vero V (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) • Sony UBP-X800M2 • Sony PlayStation 5
I've been using OSMC Vero 4K for a couple months and will probably be putting it on eBay and switching to another device.  While Vero 4K was a big improvement over my first-generation FireTV (no more frame rate stutter during panning scenes), the significant downsides keep me looking for a replacement.  My main complaints are weak Wifi performance and hit-or-miss support of portable USB 3.0 drives due to the device having USB 2.0 ports.  I will be looking for a replacement device with USB 3.0 or preferably 3.1/Thunderbolt ports and strong Wifi hardware (perhaps an external antenna?)
Out of interest what do you need the USB 3.x / Thunderbolt data transfer rates for ?
Are there issues with 2.5" USB 3 HDD's when using a USB2 port ?

Are you having power problems with multiple drives connected ?

(2018-04-10, 00:50)Knocks Wrote: I've been using OSMC Vero 4K for a couple months and will probably be putting it on eBay and switching to another device.  While Vero 4K was a big improvement over my first-generation FireTV (no more frame rate stutter during panning scenes), the significant downsides keep me looking for a replacement.  My main complaints are weak Wifi performance and hit-or-miss support of portable USB 3.0 drives due to the device having USB 2.0 ports.  I will be looking for a replacement device with USB 3.0 or preferably 3.1/Thunderbolt ports and strong Wifi hardware (perhaps an external antenna?)

(2018-04-10, 01:06)wrxtasy Wrote: Out of interest what do you need the USB 3.x / Thunderbolt data transfer rates for ?
Are there issues with 2.5" USB 3 HDD's when using a USB2 port ?

Are you having power problems with multiple drives connected ?

Some background: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/vero-4k-stru...rive/72157

In short, we tried to help re. HDD. User didn't provide any information for us to diagnose if the issue was power related. The only symptom reported is 'clicking noises' currently.
I'd be surprised if Knocks has power issues with a single drive. Unfortunately we can only speculate. Uploading a set of logs via My OSMC and sending the URL would've likely given clues; as usually we see frequent disconnects if there is a power issue. I've sourced the same drive locally for testing. We haven't had reports of issues powering a single drive, but @wrxtasy is right in his observation that powering multiple drives without a powered hub can be problematic. 

I can't see a post or support request by the user regarding WiFi issues, so we haven't provided any suggestions regarding this situation.

I've pinged the customer and hope that we can help resolve the issues they have reported. I am also confident we can resolve any WiFi issues they are experiencing. We do however need more information to proceed when things cool down.
@wrxtasy Problems spinning up a single 2.5" bus-powered USB 3.0 drive.  The response from OSMC devs was that not all drives are supported.  The suggested solution was to get a USB hub with a power brick, which is obviously not very elegant for a living room already too crowded with cables and AC adapters and defeats the purpose of buying a portable, bus-powered drive.

Insufficient power via port is of course an inherent limitation of the 2.0 era, but since you can no longer walk into a store and buy a 2.0 drive (and why would you?), supporting the devices that are out in the retail channels is essential.

Edit: Replied before seeing Sam's response above.  I will share the logs with him to put the issue to rest.  Got irritated to no end because people kept attacking me for not knowing that the ports were 2.0 and not wanting to get a hub, even though I had only seen warnings about connecting multiple bus-powered devices, not a single one.  Also, as you can see in the thread linked by Sam, he and other users have said pretty clearly that not all drives are supported and that I should get not expect USB power for a 3.0 drive from the device.
(2018-04-10, 01:30)Knocks Wrote: @wrxtasy Problems spinning up a single 2.5" bus-powered USB 3.0 drive.  The response from OSMC devs was that not all drives are supported.  The suggested solution was to get a USB hub with a power brick, which is obviously not very elegant for a living room already too crowded with cables and AC adapters and defeats the purpose of buying a portable, bus-powered drive.

Insufficient power via port is of course an inherent limitation of the 2.0 era, but since you can no longer walk into a store and buy a 2.0 drive (and why would you?), supporting the devices that are out in the retail channels is essential.
 We first suggested that you verified whether you were experiencing problems due to insufficient powering of the drive. I have given you instructions of how to do this via PM after you stated that you were unsure of how to do this. 

At no point did anyone (from OSMC) suggest that you stick to a USB 2.0 hard disk.

Plenty of users do power USB 3.0 drives from their Vero 4K.

There may be some disks that cannot be powered from a single USB port, but the general rule of thumb is that if they don't ship with an external power supply, they'll work. I suspect that is true in your case as well, but you have failed to upload any logs via My OSMC to verify this. 

I'd be happy to take a call and help you with this should you require any further assistance. I've sent you my contact details. But the trolling, and sending abusive PMs has to stop. 

Sam.
Sam, I did not appreciate you locking the thread after multiple people attacked me without allowing me to respond, and I similarly don't appreciate you attempting to rewrite history here.  Immediately after my original post, your moderator replied:
Quote:You will need to get a self-powered USB hub if the Vero is unable to power the drive. Some drives use more power than others…

Then you responded, and the first words you wrote were:
Quote:Multiple platters, probably takes quite a bit of draw to spin up.Usual rule of thumb is that most drives will work, but it’s not a guarantee.

Another user wrote:
Quote:So you are ranting because you bought a USB 3.0 HDD while the specs of the Vero4K clearly specify it has 2 USB 2.0 ports. 
Basicly, you made a mistake. You did not check the specs of the Vero4K. You got a solution: use a powered HUB.

The overall picture and attitude from OSMC was pretty clear: "Some drives won't work, and yours is one of them."  That's not good enough for me as a consumer.  If the Vero was designed to work with 2.5" 3.0 drives, then it should work with all of them, not some.

As stated previously, I will share the logs with you.  But don't attempt to change what people said.  I did not come on this forum to complain about your product.  I came for advice in choosing a new device.
Please, just sell the device.   It clearly doesn't meet your high standards.
We'd be doing a disservice to users to unconditionally state that all disks will work. 
But I haven't actually seen any confirmation that your disk has a power issue.

It seems like you can use the drive on OSMC, but only have issues when browsing some directories. This usually suggests filesystem corruption, rather than a lack of power as the most likely problem. System logs would confirm either issue and we would then be able to advise. At the moment, this is all speculation. 

I closed the thread because there seemed to be no interest in resolving the issue at hand. You then sent abusive messages via PM.

We will leave the messages to stand as-is.

You are not banned and your posts are not censored. You can start a new post at any time; but please do so in a better tone. 

Sam
(2018-04-10, 02:02)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: We'd be doing a disservice to users to unconditionally state that all disks will work. 
This is a load of baloney.  If you are compliant with standards, then you say that you support all disks that meet such and such requirements.  That's the whole point of standards.  It's how consumers rely on what to buy and what not to buy.  If there's an outlier device that doesn't work because it's not compliant or used improperly, that can be dealt with separately.

(2018-04-10, 02:02)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: I closed the thread because there seemed to be no interest in resolving the issue at hand. You then sent abusive messages via PM.
This is also BS. As established in our subsequent PMs, your request for logs was unclear and buried in a torrent of messages from people (including yourself) who were telling me to buy a hub, that I bought the wrong drive, that I'm using it improperly, or calling me stupid or a bad customer. I understand that you are trying to save face here, but it's you who's doing yourself a disservice at this point. Next time, choose words carefully and tame the attack dogs.

If you want to continue this conversation, please do so privately without littering this thread, which is dedicated to all Kodi boxes, not just yours.
Vero 4K is compliant with the USB 2.0 spec. It does not feature a USB 3.0 controller. This is made clear at https://osmc.tv/vero
Again: you've still not provided any logs or further information to suggest that there is indeed a power issue.

I agree that it's probably not the best medium to continue here. This is also getting quite circular. You can raise a support ticket or continue on our forum if you require further support.
Guys please take this support discussion over to the OSMC forums before I start Moderating posts.

Ultimately no matter what ARM based - low powered mobile chipset platform anyone uses, if you want 2.5" HDD power supply reliability.
Buy a powered USB Hub or use self powered 3.5" HDD's or stick with PC / Mac desktop type based hardware.

Mod EDIT

This will be the end of this OSMC / Vero 4K support discussion is a Kodi sub-forum. Please take the conversation to OSMC forums.
  • 169(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28