• 170(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-04-10, 02:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Ultimately no matter what ARM based - low powered mobile chipset platform anyone uses, if you want 2.5" HDD power supply reliability.
Buy a powered USB Hub or use self powered 3.5" HDD's or stick with PC / Mac desktop type based hardware.

This might not be full compatible with Kodi yet, but something like this is probably a step in the right direction.  Rock64 is a powerful Raspberry Pi rival with USB 3.0 and 4K HDR support   

Also the more high-end Odroid boards come with USB 3.0.  Heck, if an old Android phone is powerful enough to spin up a 2.5" hard drive, then a set-top box should be able to handle it.
You've been told to stop, so a warning is now applied.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Don't hit me people, I have a question which is most likely already answered but the look of the search results is confusing.

Since there are serveral software upscalers included in kodi like Bicubic, Lanczos2 and Spline36 and so on... which device can even handle Spline36 SD to FHD? Only fully equipped PCs?
I sadly need to change my RPis for something new, since they cant play h265 or 10bit stuff.
So what would be the solid/best value Option for h265, 10bit, dts-audio and hdr (4k is not a MUST, but would be kinda futureproof)..

Smile Thank you.
(2018-04-15, 20:55)fuzzy3000 Wrote: I sadly need to change my RPis for something new, since they cant play h265 or 10bit stuff.
So what would be the solid/best value Option for h265, 10bit, dts-audio and hdr (4k is not a MUST, but would be kinda futureproof)..

Smile Thank you.
Yes ultimately nothing beats hardware decoding of compressed video, anything else is a workaround and will eventually lead to problems.

Any AMLogic S905X box running LibreELEC will give you what you want, but if you want to pay a bit extra you can get a snappier S912 device.

A S912 with the option to also stream copy protected 1080p video like Netflix (Android TV) and others plus also dual boot to LibreELEC = MECOOL M8S Pro L

Ditch copy protected video streaming and add Gigabit Ethernet (for high bitrate 4K streaming reliability) = (S912) - Tanix TX92

Then you have more expensive devices with integrated Wireless remotes like the S905X - Vero 4K and the S912 - MINIX U9.

Any 100M / Fast ethernet only device can have a USB3 > Gigabit adapter attached for faster ethernet.

(2018-04-16, 08:34)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-04-15, 20:55)fuzzy3000 Wrote: I sadly need to change my RPis for something new, since they cant play h265 or 10bit stuff.

Smile Thank you.
Yes ultimately nothing beats hardware decoding of compressed video, anything else is a workaround and will eventually lead to problems.

Any AMLogic S905X box running LibreELEC will give you what you want, but if you want to pay a bit extra you can get a snappier S912 device...         
Thank you wrxtasy! You're the man!

I think i'll go for a snappier S912 device then.

- Does 3GB make a difference VS 2GB RAM?

- Can I Install LibreELEC directly on the internal storage, or do i have to use a SD-Card?

- I don't need a remote, the Phone-App was always enough for me

- I don't need Netflix since i could use my PC for that, if necessary

- I don't think I need Dual-Boot, the Only advantage I could see is, if I was able to Cast to it (dunno if it can do that anyways, I have a Chromecast on every TV, but it's kinda slow), or did I miss a cool feature?

What would be the go to / or a cheap device you would recommend with built-in Gigabit-LAN?
For a Snappy device, any device = a wireless remote = no more missed button pressings, no more Phone falling asleep. It really is the way to use Kodi in 2018.

But there are issues especially for poorly engineered devices with Bluetooth only remotes. You only need to browse the NVIDIA Shield forums to see Lots of complaints about 2017 Shield Mini wireless remote RF interference problems.
Devices with Plug in Mini USB RF receiver dongles are fine, like the Vero 4K, MINIX's devices and some MECOOL's.

For LibreELEC 1GB, 2GB, 3GB - it does not matter.
What does matter is the quality of device RAM, quality of eMMC flash storage, onboard WiFi/Bluetooth chipset and the Ethernet speed once you get into high bitrate 4K HDR streaming.
It's a few reasons why branded devices like WeTek, MINIX, Vero, Mi Box, Shield and ODROID etc cost more.

Having said all that the S912 Gigabit Tanix TX92 will be pretty decent Bang for the Buck for 4K HEVC - LE usage.

DIY LE can be installed to internal eMMC once you have it running from a SD card or USB Stick first.
But there are risks involved, particularly when upgrading. See the LE forums for details.
I've never done install to internal personally but it can be done.

(2018-04-16, 10:22)fuzzy3000 Wrote:
(2018-04-16, 08:34)wrxtasy Wrote:

Smile Thank you.

Any AMLogic S905X box running LibreELEC will give you what you want, but if you want to pay a bit extra you can get a snappier S912 device...          
Thank you wrxtasy! You're the man!

I think i'll go for a snappier S912 device then.

- Does 3GB make a difference VS 2GB RAM?

- Can I Install LibreELEC directly on the internal storage, or do i have to use a SD-Card?

- I don't need a remote, the Phone-App was always enough for me

- I don't need Netflix since i could use my PC for that, if necessary

- I don't think I need Dual-Boot, the Only advantage I could see is, if I was able to Cast to it (dunno if it can do that anyways, I have a Chromecast on every TV, but it's kinda slow), or did I miss a cool feature?

What would be the go to / or a cheap device you would recommend with built-in Gigabit-LAN? 
 For flexibility/options don't go less than 2GB of RAM, 1GB RAM will give you performance problems except for using LibreElec, 3GB RAM provides more future proofing than 2GB RAM.

Go for 3GB RAM if you can afford it, 2GB RAM will be enough for current requirements.
(2018-04-16, 11:28)wrxtasy Wrote: For a Snappy device, any device = a wireless remote = no more missed button pressings, no more Phone falling asleep. It really is the way to use Kodi in 2018...

...Having said all that the S912 Gigabit Tanix TX92 will be pretty decent Bang for the Buck for 4K HEVC - LE usage.
Doesn't the TX92 have this mentioned Bluetooth Remote? So the Remote is no good? Thx
(2017-07-15, 02:06)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-07-14, 23:49)thehouserat Wrote: They regularly use USB keys for movies and such.
Their TV is 1080p and has no audio out (ridiculous) and they want to use their Bose sound bar thing. It outputs mini stereo and optical digital. It's not actually a deal breaker if the bar can't be used.
Their budget is under 75 USD.
Has to be easy to use but can be harder to set up since I'll be helping them with that.

There are so many options, I'm just getting lost!

Thanks in advance.
Just get a USD$69 Xiaomi Mi Box as it meets all your requirements and is simple to use with an excellent Wireless remote.

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

The Mi Box has a built in Mini Toslink/Optical out port.

For Audio with your system and the Mi Box you buy a Mini Toslink cable, such as this one:
FosPower (3 Feet) 24K Gold Plated Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable with Metal Connectors & Strain-Relief PVC JacketPost #1 of the Mi Box thread has links for where to purchase the Box. 
 Hello again. I'm quoting an old post of mine because I'm looking to buy another media box for a friend's parents. Is the xiaomi mi box 3 still the go-to? It looks like it's doubled in price in Canada, which is kinda messed up! Unless I order from alliexpress and wait 10 years
Where's best place to get the tanix tx92?
Asking in this thread would likely yield immediate results...

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click)

Online stores in no particular order - Gearbest, Aliexpress, Geekbuying, Ebay, Lightinthebox, Amazon and the list goes on and on...

Hello, I am considering replacing my current android tv box.

I think that the ideal replacement would be an android tv box fulfilling the following criteria:

A specific requirement: Correct playback of 1080p h264 Hi10P... Hi10P support seems very rare (non-existent?) among android tv boxes.
- 4K support
- auto frame-rate switching
- HDR
- (video) format support pretty much the best possible
- good audio support

In short I'm pretty much looking for the best, top-of-the-line, android tv box. I've seen that the MINIX U9-H is very popular and seems to be a quite good tv box, maybe it's a potential choice for me, maybe there are other alternatives to consider. However, it seems like the MINIX U9-H can't handle 1080p h264 Hi10P which is something of a deal-breaker for me.

I'm wondering if there's any opinions on these powerful Rockchip RK3399 android tv boxes that have started to appear, for example RKM MK39, X99, R99. How well would they match the requirements?

Also I'm thinking of if it would be good to wait some period of time until later this year, if some new tv boxes are released that are better than the current ones.

What are your thoughts and opinions?
Thanks for the help!
(2018-04-22, 14:48)New York Wrote: A specific requirement: Correct playback of 1080p h264 Hi10P... Hi10P support seems very rare (non-existent?) among android tv boxes.
- 4K support
- HDR
- good audio support
 I am in a similar boat but was looking at the Asus Chromebox options and wondered if any of them could achieve this. I've been searching this thread but haven't been able to locate anything definitive yet.

My requirements differ slightly in that I don't need 4K support, but would like to run GalliumOS.

If not an Asus Chromebox, is there anything similar in size and quietness that would work?
(2018-04-22, 14:48)New York Wrote: Hello, I am considering replacing my current android tv box.

I think that the ideal replacement would be an android tv box fulfilling the following criteria:

A specific requirement: Correct playback of 1080p h264 Hi10P... Hi10P support seems very rare (non-existent?) among android tv boxes.
- 4K support
- HDR
- good audio support
Please see the following thread:

Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware (click)

BTW.. the MINIX U9 now software decodes and plays up to 1080p 11Mbps 10bit h264 aka H10P Anime (I've personally tested it) but you have to use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, the Subtitles fixed, GPU overclocked release.

• 170(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28